• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

You jinxed it. ;)

On another note - what use is that 4 star Venom (Eddie Brock)? I mean mine is only 2/3/0 but looking at his powers he doesn't seem to do much

not much. mine is 4/4/4 and i don't even care enough to get the progression reward to get that last cover lol.

zulux21

His only good power is the yellow. And even then, it's middling.

that being said, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he will be getting an update soon.

the next month or two are gonna be all about the spiderman characters.

still doubt I will be motivated to get progression for the last cover I need though lol.

if he does become amazing I can always just make loki my favorite hero for a bit as i don't think I have him to 183 yet.

Dalek

I noticed my Dr. Strange is almost fully champion-leveled. Should I create another duplicate 3 star strange and start all over?

zulux21

I noticed my Dr. Strange is almost fully champion-leveled. Should I create another duplicate 3 star strange and start all over?

if you have the HP for the roster slot I can't see any good reason not to.

it's not that much iso to champ a 3* in comparison to 4/5 and the rewards will be quite a bit better than just selling the covers.

plus once you get your new strange high enough level you could just sell the old one eventually?

Dalek

!? My highest 3* is 230. How did you get a relatively recent addition all the way to 266 so quickly? Wow.

He's 254. I set him as my lone 3* bonus hero-and when that first started I was getting bonus heroes constantly. I very rarely get them as of late, but for a while there was a flood of bonus covers.

Triz

My Captain America 3* is at level 264, Im curious what the sell bonus will be in two more levels. I have liked the massive CP bonuses and legendary tokens every 10 levels in the 230's on.

zulux21

my 3 stars are
TskOtO8.jpg

my panther was leagues above everyone else but I have had iron man on bonus for a bit, but starlord is my bonus right now.

he sucks but well I want to have all 3 stars champed again.

I have a cover expiring this week. Is 4* Cage worth the 120 cp I would need to spend to champ him? I hate using the last of my cp for it unless he'll get some use.

zulux21

I have a cover expiring this week. Is 4* Cage worth the 120 cp I would need to spend to champ him? I hate using the last of my cp for it unless he'll get some use.
he isn't bad but he isn't top tier either.

aka he is a character that will likely be useful when boosted, but I am not sure if you would ever play him not boosted as you likely have better options.

he isn't bad but he isn't top tier either.

aka he is a character that will likely be useful when boosted, but I am not sure if you would ever play him not boosted as you likely have better options.

Thanks! I won't bother then.

I don't pay attention to character rankings any more-if you wouldn't mind looking at my 4* roster in the alliance I would appreciate any guidance on who I should focus on.

zulux21

I don't pay attention to character rankings any more-if you wouldn't mind looking at my 4* roster in the alliance I would appreciate any guidance on who I should focus on.
sure thing. I should note with luke cage, that the recent changes to fortified tiles may have altered his uses a bit.

previously fortified tiles worked like locked tiles that could eventually go off.
now they work like normal tiles that just stay there after getting matched meaning that if you have special tiles that do things when they get matched such as grocket's don't push that button, you can trigger them and still have them go off. thus cage might have more use now but I haven't played with that. because of his ability to fortifiy tiles his ranking might go up a bit, also that being said he is no longer in the tokens, so short of bonus heroing him you will have to wait for the next event to finish him off without CP.

so the character I see that you have a number of covers for that is solid is captain marvel.
it's a shame you don't have more of her black, but even as she is she can be quite useful.
I like teaming her up with starlord and IF for goon nodes but 3* iron fist and Switch is also a very solid combo for her.

Switch fuels purple for IF as well as triggers end of count down timers to boost tiles with marvel.
IF makes black for carol to place big black countdown timers and he has a green that lets you place some strike tiles to boost.

so the character I see that you have a number of covers for that is solid is captain marvel.
it's a shame you don't have more of her black, but even as she is she can be quite useful.
I like teaming her up with starlord and IF for goon nodes but 3* iron fist and Switch is also a very solid combo for her.

Switch fuels purple for IF as well as triggers end of count down timers to boost tiles with marvel.
IF makes black for carol to place big black countdown timers and he has a green that lets you place some strike tiles to boost.

Appreciate the feedback - thanks!

zulux21

Appreciate the feedback - thanks!

I should note a level 270 carol has the following stats.

for 8 black ap (5 covers) place a 5 turn fortified tile that each turn drops a strength 220 strike tile and when it goes off explodes for 11674 damage.

for 5 yellow ap (5 covers) trigger a countdown timer
when any friendly countdown timer goes off improve 3 friendly tiles by 427.

and then a green passive (3 covers) that when ever the enemy matches its strongest color you get 3 ap of your strongest color (if the colors match you do damage but a lot of times that isn't worth caring about)

so IF has an attack tile out by default that can get boosted, and as soon as you use his green (even at 3 covers) or let carol's tile sit out for two turns you have 3 tiles that can be boosted by firing off carol or when ever switch's timer goes off (which is also a great target for carol's yellow to convert yellow into purple which then is converted into black lol)

the end result is a pretty quick build up of strike and an attack tile leading to massive damage.

really realy deadly in wave nodes lol.

edit: it's clear the PR guy for MPQ doesn't play MPQ

MiTYH

New Clash, 4Thor VS Ragnorak.

My 4Thor is my best covered, wasn't really a challenge. Blue to stun as needed, Red to KO

Triz

I've pulled 5 venom covers from my last 10 pulls. That is ISO because I refuse to level him and I'm at 13 covers. Too many others need the ISO.

I've pulled 5 venom covers from my last 10 pulls. That is ISO because I refuse to level him and I'm at 13 covers. Too many others need the ISO.
I have had him at 13 covers for months and he is still lvl 70.

So who was it asking about alliances recently? I have 2 spots to fill in S.H.E.E.P. and looking for daily players.
edit: full again now

brickface

I got Agent Venom from the clash - he's at 2/5/5. And now I have 2 yellow and 1 black waiting for the final red to drop, so that's a bit annoying.

zulux21

I got Agent Venom from the clash - he's at 2/5/5. And now I have 2 yellow and 1 black waiting for the final red to drop, so that's a bit annoying.

really can't see much reason for any covers to be waiting for you unless you have a surplus of iso and champed everything else you could as agent venom just sucks >.>

Just noticed on the leaderboard for Groot event that S.H.E.E.P. is 2 spots ahead of Gaf-vengers. Grind, slackers!

You only need 2 covers to champ Peggy. I think it would be worth trying to get those even if you have to buy them with CP. She is great when not boosted and amazing when she is. Psylocke gives her as champ rewards now.

zulux21

What a disgrace. SHEEP, let me know when you're recruiting.

If I had decided to grind for venom we would have gotten them.

alas I am a slacker.

though I will likely grind the last few days of the current event to get the two blade covers as that will put me one away from having him fully covered.

I'm undecided if I will attempt to grind for IF, but given that the next event is likely going to be a character release event I likely will assuming the new character seems decent at all and I am put in a non death bracket lol.

brickface

really can't see much reason for any covers to be waiting for you unless you have a surplus of iso and champed everything else you could as agent venom just sucks >.>

I do have over 2 million iso and the plan is to get all the characters (I have 104 now :) )
But this is my first instance of having a bunch of four stars I can't do anything with yet. I'm terrible at hoarding CP - always opening the 20 ones as soon as I get 20 CP... which explains why I've got Venoms. D'oh! I should horde

zulux21

I do have over 2 million iso and the plan is to get all the characters (I have 104 now :) )
But this is my first instance of having a bunch of four stars I can't do anything with yet. I'm terrible at hoarding CP - always opening the 20 ones as soon as I get 20 CP... which explains why I've got Venoms. D'oh! I should horde

ah, then that is fine :p

I have 132 roster spots with enough HP for 3 more.

Spoit

After much experimentation, I found my favorite team for this PvE. Blade/Coulson/Chulk. It can't quite handle the most ridiculous health pools (that's what IM/Th4R/C&D is for), but it's a hell of a lot of fun, regardless. Also, technically a rainbow between blade and coulson.

zulux21

After much experimentation, I found my favorite team for this PvE. Blade/Coulson/Chulk. It can't quite handle the most ridiculous health pools (that's what IM/Th4R/C&D is for), but it's a hell of a lot of fun, regardless. Also, technically a rainbow between blade and coulson.

I am playing around with new team ideas in general for myself.

I am thinking that Miles + spidergwen + Grocket could be fun.

grocket will let the team start off stronger with the strike tiles, while the spider characters build up webs and then miles hits really hard with purple, gwen hits hard with red, and grocket eventually uses miles blue to do damage and place attack tiles and uses the green for good damage and making extra matches ideally getting more web tiles to keep fueling things.

won't be the best team ever but I think it will be fun and with gwen's web healing should stay alive pretty decently.

Professor X/Bl4de/Strange and I haven't come close to losing a match yet. Rainbow team with 3 useful passives. And if you don't like relying on match fives, sub out PX for Coulson.

zulux21

This is who I've been using too. No sweat.

i've been using my two current go to teams.

for nodes with a goon
IF + Star Lord + Carol.

for nodes without a goon

IM40 + Peggy + iceman.

who needs boosts :p

edit: also I am thankful spidergwen hits herself with healing now.
miles would be basically impossible without 5 red if she couldn't heal herself, instead I just let the web tiles go crazy and slowly killed him as I constantly healed >.<:

I also decided to take peggy to 270 so my top 4* are starting to look decent

zulux21

ready for exciting news.
the next event is going to be the second test of the scaling tied to SCL.

the even more exciting news.
it's going to be a release event.

what could go wrong lol.

the boosted list isn't super exciting either

4-Star: Blade (Modern), Nova, Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2), War Machine, Winter Soldier
3-Star: Daredevil, Hawkeye (Hawkguy), Squirrel Girl, Star Lord (Peter Quill), Thor (Modern)
2-Star: Bullseye (Dark Avengers), Moonstone
1-Star: Black Widow (Modern), Storm (Modern)

though my blade will become fully covered after i hit progression in this event so thats fun (though I don't have 5 red)
groot would be fun if I was closer to finishing him.

Triz

ready for exciting news.
the next event is going to be the second test of the scaling tied to SCL.

the even more exciting news.
it's going to be a release event.

Fuck right off MPQ...

Im in CL8 for the first time cause I did not care for placement, progression rewards were all I was going for.

Dalek

Sandman!

https://news.marvel.com/games/66773/piecing-together-marvel-puzzle-quest-sandman/

PuzzleQuest_post_master.jpg

Sandman, the original Spidey villain, brings his coarse, rough, and irritating particulates to the ”Marvel Puzzle Quest" universe. Flint Marko joins the roster ready to suffocate his opponents underneath a mountain of sand and D3 Go! Producer Josh Austin's here to tell us how he's gonna do it!

Marvel.com: With the addition of Sandman we're about a third of the way to a full Sinister Six! What's so special about Flint Marko?

Josh Austin: We are very glad to bring Sandman (Flint Marko) as a new Super Villain to Marvel Puzzle Quest, and right after the release of the new Doc Ock 5-Star character. Sandman brings with him some great abilities to the 4-Star roster including a team damaging attack that also stuns a target, and he has a power that moves basic tiles around and converts some of the moved tiles to Yellow basic tiles to help generate Yellow AP.

Marvel.com: There's so much that a man made of sand can do, from creating constructs to quicksand, to turning himself into a sandstorm. What did the team focus on while building Sandman?

Josh Austin: Sandman may not create a storm this time around, but he does some heavy hitting and board manipulation with his sand particles. His three powers have him forming a hammer out of sand to smash his opponents, pinning an opponent with a blast of sand that also damages the rest of his opponents, and he also changes shape maneuvering around the battlefield moving tiles around to his advantage while his enemies are distracted.

Marvel.com: Mind giving us the lowdown on Mr. Sadman's abilities?

Josh Austin: Sandman's first ability is called Sand Blast and it costs 9 Green AP. For this power, Sandman fills the area with sand from his limbs, pinning his target. This deals damage to the enemy team and stuns the target opponent in front.

His second ability is called Shifting Sands and costs 8 Purple AP. Sandman changes shape keeping the enemy off guard and moving around the battlefield to swap non-Yellow basic tiles around and converts some of those basic tiles to Yellow.

Lastly, Sandman has Sand Smash which costs 10 Yellow AP. For this ability, Sandman turns his arm into a giant hammer of hardened sand, which creates Protect tiles or deals damage by removing friendly Protect Tiles if the player has enough of them on the board when initiating this power.

Marvel.com: I'm really liking the AOE damage and stun in Sand Blast. It feels like he needs it to help him really get going and create those Yellow and Protect tiles to pull off the big damage later.

Josh Austin: It's definitely one of his two unique abilities, it's a great way to deal consistent damage and stun a specific target for whatever the situation calls for, delaying a Countdown tile, putting an opponent on hold for a bit to deal with a different one, etc.

Marvel.com: Outside of extreme heat turning his sand to glass, what sort of weaknesses does the big galoot have?

Josh Austin: Of course intense heat, handclaps from Hulk and water are devastating to Flint, but for Marvel Puzzle Quest he's weak against characters that remove Protect tiles like Doctor Strange, etc.

Marvel.com: And it seems like anyone who creates Protect tiles will help him pump out those Sand Smashes. So the Falcon, Luke Cage, maybe a Mr. Fantastic?

Josh Austin: You are correct, people that create Protect tiles like Iron Man (Hulkbuster), Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), Sam Wilson (Captain America), Luke Cage (Power Man), Invisible Woman (Classic), Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) and Gwenpool. Another good teammate would be someone that Generates Purple or Yellow AP like Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) or Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff).

Marvel.com: So when do we get to build sand castles with Flint Marko?

Josh Austin: Sandman (Flint Marko) will be available June 15. He will debut in Thick as Thieves that starts June 15 and he will be featured in the June 19 Strange Sights event. Sandman's Versus event is called Sandstorm and will begin June 22.

Spoit

I tried the Blade/strange/PX team, which worked okay for this sub, but doesn't really feel like it'd stand up for subs which aren't a goon+hood, since even with getting the purple tile out early, it was maxing out at like 4k a tick, which isn't super fast against moonstones and Juggs.

In other news, the clash was super easy, even with the "random" stun no longer working against an invisible miles. Easily had enough to double punch and kill him by the time I finally matched the tile away.

zulux21

so if the numbers I am seeing are true.
At five covers, his yellow creates six strength 168 protect tiles or, if there are 7+ friendly protect tiles, does 5,542 damage (and removes them). His purple swaps 14 non-yellow tiles, converting up to five to yellow.
At 5 covers, 270 the Green does 3,448 to the enemy team, with a 2 turn stun to the target per Discord.

sandman does indeed rather suck.

you have a somewhat unique color for a stun in green. and 9 ap for that isn't horrible but the other two powers aren't exciting.

that being said that is one of the only yellow generation movies I know of.
and it would play nice with ironman 40 as ironman's recharge would fully fuel the green and get him part of the way to making some yellow.

his yellow move is pure trash tier though.
10ap to create defense tiles, or 10ap and lose all of your defense tiles for a mere 5k damage :/

so if the numbers I am seeing are true.

sandman does indeed rather suck.

you have a somewhat unique color for a stun in green. and 9 ap for that isn't horrible but the other two powers aren't exciting.

that being said that is one of the only yellow generation movies I know of.
and it would play nice with ironman 40 as ironman's recharge would fully fuel the green and get him part of the way to making some yellow.

his yellow move is pure trash tier though.
10ap to create defense tiles, or 10ap and lose all of your defense tiles for a mere 5k damage :/

Cloak and Dagger. And Kingpin.

Top Bottom