• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

thus why I said one of the only... movies (apparently :p)

i mostly forgot cloak and dagger as I haven't played with them.

Yellow is actually one of the few colors we can generate easily at the 4 star level, now that I think about it. Chulk can make green, C&D can also make black, but I'm struggling to think of more "reliable" specific color generation at the 4 star tier.

Oh, and as far as Sandman's numbers, the AOE is about Jean Grey tier at 5 covers, to give an idea of where it'll boost to, and the Protect tile damage (if you have enough out) is a little more than where Thing's Red is (but without a stun). The powers in and of themselves aren't terrible, but he doesn't really have a niche outside of maybe yellow generation (which I think C&D do better since they're passive).

zulux21

Yellow is actually one of the few colors we can generate easily at the 4 star level, now that I think about it. Chulk can make green, C&D can also make black, but I'm struggling to think of more "reliable" specific color generation at the 4 star tier.

Oh, and as far as Sandman's numbers, the AOE is about Jean Grey tier at 5 covers, to give an idea of where it'll boost to, and the Protect tile damage (if you have enough out) is a little more than where Thing's Red is (but without a stun). The powers in and of themselves aren't terrible, but he doesn't really have a niche outside of maybe yellow generation (which I think C&D do better since they're passive).

I would argue hulkbuster generates red well (just not with tiles on the board)
iceman can generate blue
4* cyc and carol have unstable generation.

and I guess they aren't so much horrible, as he just isn't good enough to give a crap about.

I would argue hulkbuster generates red well (just not with tiles on the board)
iceman can generate blue
4* cyc and carol have unstable generation.

and I guess they aren't so much horrible, as he just isn't good enough to give a crap about.

If we're going to count 4* cyc and carol as unstable generation, then I think we should count Professor X as well, even though his condition is harder to hit. And HB does do red well with his black, but Iceman's blue is all over the place and doesn't covert enough tiles and is too expensive to be truly reliable (like, say, Immortal IF's purple).

zulux21

If we're going to count 4* cyc and carol as unstable generation, then I think we should count Professor X as well, even though his condition is harder to hit. And HB does do red well with his black, but Iceman's blue is all over the place and doesn't covert enough tiles and is too expensive to be truly reliable (like, say, Immortal IF's purple).

i mean sandmans also costs 8 and with random tile switching involved is even less reliable than iceman's.

I mean sandman only converts 5 tiles to yellow at max covers, bobby does what... 7 (I am not sure as I have mine at 3 covers which does 5 :p)

Spoit

C&D is actually one of the best targeted color generators, after IM42 and SW. With only 1 cover, they give plenty of yellow to power the IM->th4r combo

Spoit

Ugh fuck me. I mistimed my start of this last sub, so I finished a whole 7 minutes early. Which was enough to drop me from 9th to 11th. And the previous 11th place person is now 300 points ahead of me.

6 fucking days down the fucking drain. Between this, and the fucking level locked new release PvE, I'm |.| close to uninstalling this fucking game again

zulux21

Ugh fuck me. I mistimed my start of this last sub, so I finished a whole 7 minutes early. Which was enough to drop me from 9th to 11th. And the previous 11th place person is now 300 points ahead of me.

6 fucking days down the fucking drain. Between this, and the fucking level locked new release PvE, I'm |.| close to uninstalling this fucking game again
well atleast you will get 55cp soon?

I've never tried hard on the 7 day subs because of how much of a grind they are. I am just doing enough to get the blade covers.

Triz

If I played the game this way Id have uninstalled years ago...

damn autocorrect.

If I played the game this way Id have installed years ago...

Yep. For me it's mostly dailies and often trying to get the 4* progression reward. Even then, only if the boosted characters are fun.

Playing serious in this game has never worked out for me.

zulux21

Yep. For me it's mostly dailies and often trying to get the 4* progression reward. Even then, only if the boosted characters are fun.

Playing serious in this game has never worked out for me.

I only get the 4* progression for 4* I care about.
beyond that I give a half hearted attempt at the new character releases. but if I don't get those I do get them in the progression next time since it's important to have them all.

edit: it looks like there won't be any changes from the last SCL scaling test.

zulux21

worth an extra post I think.

word is on discord they said that while it's unchanged from last time SCL8 had a bug last time that wasn't scaling up things properly, I think I heard they were only going up by 15 when they should have been 25. so enemies will likely go 40 levels higher or... maybe a bit more.

More importantly though, apparently for each Shield clearance level for each event, there is going to be a random element that decides the base level. It will always fall within the advertised ranges, but it does mean from one run of an event to another, it's possible that the event could become moderately easier or more difficult, depending on the randomized starting level. This randomizer is consistent for everyone who plays at a given Shield clearance level, so it's not like it's going to help one player and hurt another, but it still seems kind of odd and counterintuitive, and I just wanted to give people a heads-up to not expect enemies to be at the exact same sort of level they were at for the last time a scaling test was done.

Spoit

Yup, ended this sub 250 points behind #10. While that is like a hundred less than the gap yesterday, I don't think I can actually bridge that gap, given the meager gains from today. So....fuck this game

Dalek

Had to share this experience. With my rewards tonight I championed Professor X finally. Got a Legendary Token. Also bought a Classic legendary token.

I ended up getting a Black Panther, a 5 star Iron Man, which in turn gave me a bonus Old Man Logan.

That makes my OML 4/3/5. And in fifteen days I'll be getting a yellow cover from login bonuses and it will fully cover him. What a feeling.

zulux21

Had to share this experience. With my rewards tonight I championed Professor X finally. Got a Legendary Token. Also bought a Classic legendary token.

I ended up getting a Black Panther, a 5 star Iron Man, which in turn gave me a bonus Old Man Logan.

That makes my OML 4/3/5. And in fifteen days I'll be getting a yellow cover from login bonuses and it will fully cover him. What a feeling.

with mine I pulled a 3* with a bonus star lord letting me get his legendary token as I champed him.
then I changed my 3* fave back to iron man.
next elite pulled 3* falcon
next elite pulled 3* starlord with a bonus iron man.
my token was a 4* blade red allowing me to take my newly maxed covered blade from 4/5/4 to 5/5/3.

don't have the iso to champ him right now so I will be content with him just having the proper build... now that he won't be required for a pve for a while :p

I figure hulkbuster might be one of my next champs since mine is 5/3/5 and he would work much better 5/5/3 which then he would pair with blade very nicely potentially giving me my third 4* fueled go to team.

peggy+bobby+ iron man 40 is so good for the record @_@

Dalek

with mine I pulled a 3* with a bonus star lord letting me get his legendary token as I champed him.
then I changed my 3* fave back to iron man.
next elite pulled 3* falcon
next elite pulled 3* starlord with a bonus iron man.
my token was a 4* blade red allowing me to take my newly maxed covered blade from 4/5/4 to 5/5/3.

don't have the iso to champ him right now so I will be content with him just having the proper build... now that he won't be required for a pve for a while :p

I figure hulkbuster might be one of my next champs since mine is 5/3/5 and he would work much better 5/5/3 which then he would pair with blade very nicely potentially giving me my third 4* fueled go to team.

peggy+bobby+ iron man 40 is so good for the record @_@

Yeah that team is dynamite.

I'm actually hoarding LT and CP for the first time since Carol's release, mainly because I'm at a point where I want to build up my ISO a little and I don't have any 4* that I need to build covers for right now. I'll definitely pop it after this season, the only question is do I wait for the next season to start or not (and I've been leaning not since before Sandman's announcement).

Spoit

I'm probably going to go back into hoarding mode once I get medusa done. Maaaaaybe R&G, but they're new so they should keep.

Do I stay in the alliance & keep my profile if I change the Facebook account on my phone (iOS)? I can't remember if it's linked or not. Friend bonuses are non existent anymore so I don't care that I lose those....

Do I stay in the alliance & keep my profile if I change the Facebook account on my phone (iOS)? I can't remember if it's linked or not. Friend bonuses are non existent anymore so I don't care that I lose those....

Facebook is a backup that I believe only downloads if there isn't an account already there, so I believe you'd be fine.

Facebook is a backup that I believe only downloads if there isn't an account already there, so I believe you'd be fine.

Thanks! Looks like it did work.

I have been playing MPQ on an old iPhone 5 for... over 1300 days. Feels good to play it on a new device. It doesn't take 120 seconds to load any more!

Spoit

But yeah, I might try to snipe a really late bracket, but I don't think I'll try very hard on this pve. The combination of 5* Thanoses stomping the fixed level teams, and the buff list being super rough on my roster (My highest is a 5/2/5 blade) mean that my clear times would simply not be even the slightest bit comptetitive. And I'm just ashes from how burned out this 7 day pve (well 6, because fuck that) made me

zulux21

But yeah, I might try to snipe a really late bracket, but I don't think I'll try very hard on this pve. The combination of 5* Thanoses stomping the fixed level teams, and the buff list being super rough on my roster (My highest is a 5/2/5 blade) mean that my clear times would simply not be even the slightest bit comptetitive. And I'm just ashes from how burned out this 7 day pve (well 6, because fuck that) made me

I'm going to try a late enter.
worst case I miss out on what appears to be a mid tier character.

Dalek

I forgot I needed to get 5 clears on PVE to get the prize. I was so close to the big CP jackpot. Oh well. I guess my 5 star bundle last night was my big reward.

zulux21

I forgot I needed to get 5 clears on PVE to get the prize. I was so close to the big CP jackpot. Oh well. I guess my 5 star bundle last night was my big reward.

I would likely need to have a 0 added to the end of that to get me motivated to do 7 straight days of 5 clears to get CP.

550 might be worth that. 55 not so much.

zulux21

damn moon knight was a pain in the ass to beat with my 5/5/3 gwen.

that being said the token got me a purple 5 star hawkeye which gave me a bonus purple 5 star hawkeye.

which makes me very happy as I think at 2/3/2 my 5* hawkeye might actually be my second usable 5*
just need to get colson more covered to pair with him and figure out someone else as well maybe starlord :p

Since I finished champing the bunch of 2-stars I needed to, I cashed in my roughly 160 CP. All classics, except one:

5-stars Star-Lord, Phoenix, Silver Surfer
4-stars Venom, Riri, Captain Marvel, Medusa (couldn't use), Gamora

And then today I beat Moon Knight on my 2nd try with Gwenpool, and got another 5-star Star-Lord!

Spoit

Hmm, my taco vault has a blue wasp. Should I blow it to get her to 13? All my other 1-off 4*s are 3rd cover ones, so I should be able to buy them...maybe. I only have 5k HP right now, I dunno if I'd be able to get 3x3.6k in time

zulux21

Hmm, my taco vault has a blue wasp. Should I blow it to get her to 13? All my other 1-off 4*s are 3rd cover ones, so I should be able to buy them...maybe. I only have 5k HP right now, I dunno if I'd be able to get 3x3.6k in time

the taco changes still have to be coming at some point. so using them to get a character you want now might be for the best.

but we have no clue how long you have to hoard still.

Triz

Pulled my 13th cover for Carol. Time to grind out 180k ISO to get her champed for my medusa team. I would have had it if I wasn't dumping into Nova for this pve.

zulux21

since I was closing in on 5k hp (and with 3 extra roster slots) I decided to say F it and buy my last carol cover.

with her yellow up I decided to test out a team I have been wanting to test even though I don't have it very covered.

level 168 2/4/2 medusa
level 209* 1/2/3 (boosted currently) grocket.

tested them on the mags/hood node at the end of the event. only on the 4th round did mags even get a power off. the match/medusa damage with 400 bonus damage from grocket killed off hood quickly, and as soon as I got rocket's green or blue to go off it was over. medusa's first count down timer boosts my damage by 1k, and grocket's green's extra match with that does a lot, or his blue is just crazy. makes attack tiles, does damage, boosts things each turn. This team is going to be super deadly when I can get it up.

I think I am gonna favorite grocket now over medusa though. his strike tile drop at start of turn is really strong, and if I can get him up I imagine I can do all the trivial nodes very quickly with him without the need for thanos murder I currently do :p

Dalek

This Scarlett Witch PVP is making me fucking insane. For whatever reason I just can't win any matches. I just wanted to hit 800 to get the SW cover, but no. This game has it out for me. I have Championed Blade and Nova but for every game the AI just destroys me. I'm tearing my hair out.

zulux21

This Scarlett Witch PVP is making me fucking insane. For whatever reason I just can't win any matches. I just wanted to hit 800 to get the SW cover, but no. This game has it out for me. I have Championed Blade and Nova but for every game the AI just destroys me. I'm tearing my hair out.

this is why I rarely touch pvp.

anyways, I wonder if I can get 5 3* hawkeye covers in the next 8 days. most likely not.

kate bishop's clash should be pretty easy, but i don't think my 1/1/1 will be able to do it. I think OML's match damage is going to prove to be to much as even if I only need to block black he will still make some other decent hits. I would have 12 rounds to kill him assuming no 4+ matches and I am not sure I can do 9k damage with kate in that time at level 78 even with boosts.

if I can get one more cover for her I think there will be a fighting chance... but it's not worth bonus heroing her for a chance.

Spoit

3* bonuses are actually pretty frequent in elite tokens. I was able to champ Hawkeye and SL with under 100 pulls each time, iirc

Triz

pssst...the new PVE format still fucking sucks. I remember the last time they ran it I said I would hate to see if it was a new release...and here we are. IT FUCKING SUCKS>

So many people ducking CL8 that top 100 placement is really easy. Like, in my bracket, less than 5 clears easy.

Oh, and for the SWitch PvP, I'm using either Nova or Blade and Carol. Automatic countdown plus one of two relatively easy strike tile generators equals lots of powerful strikes.

Edit: Either that or Charlie's Angels. But CA is only going to happen if I'm in a pinch and run out of health packs.

Dalek

I persevered and got 800. The extra SW cover gave me a legendary which gave me my 8th Gamora cover.

My trick that helped was using AP boosts for nearly ever match to jump start Blade.

Spoit

I'd kill to have my medusa usable for this buff list. Much less any of the actual buffed characters. I swear, I went through 3 sets of health packs from the tokens just to get to 575 because I kept wiping against the enemy blades.

I'm pretty sure I have 0 chance at that riri cover next pvp. And thank fucking god that the R&G cover for the one following that will be yellow, which I already have 5 of (well, 6 if you count the one I tossed)

Dalek

I'd kill to have my medusa usable for this buff list. Much less any of the actual buffed characters. I swear, I went through 3 sets of health packs from the tokens just to get to 575 because I kept wiping against the enemy blades.

I'm pretty sure I have 0 chance at that riri cover next pvp. And thank fucking god that the R&G cover for the one following that will be yellow, which I already have 5 of (well, 6 if you count the one I tossed)

It's rough. Boosted Blade when everyone has him championed is just no fun at all.

zulux21

pssst...the new PVE format still fucking sucks. I remember the last time they ran it I said I would hate to see if it was a new release...and here we are. IT FUCKING SUCKS>

it really still just depends on the bracket.
I got a top 100 over 3 days of play while only getting to the 8CP reward on cl7.

zulux21

Carol Danvers preferred build is 5/5/3 correct? I think I can see 5/3/5 working too?

if you aren't champing her hands down 5/5/3 would be the prefered build.

if you are champing her switching her to 5/3/5 or even 3/5/5 could be an option depending on the team you are fielding. the only reason to go with 5 in green though is when you are facing an enemy that will have the same color as your team for the extra damage though.
the difference between 3 and 4 AP between 3/5 covers clearly isn't worth weakening the other moves unless you for sure won't be using carol's black at all for some reason.

btw
Carol + IF + starlord for wave nodes is just crazy :p
with 10k in strike tile damage by the last wave it takes nothing to melt the last wave lol

Triz

Oh she is champed, I just rarely (read never) switch them up after I settle on a build. Maybe I should change that practice...

Dalek

My Coulson is finally covered! Thank Odin!

Now to cover him-I'm right in the middle of leveling Mordo and I have two of his covers sitting on the vine.

zulux21

Oh she is champed, I just rarely (read never) switch them up after I settle on a build. Maybe I should change that practice...

to be fair for most characters they have 2 good powers and one obviously crap power that you don't want covers in so in general it doesn't matter.

Carol is just one of those cases that if the enemy is going to be matching your strongest color as theirs you might as well switch it so you can do a decent AOE each time they do while you get AP. It's a solid bonus, but not so good that you should worry about making your strongest color match.

My Coulson is finally covered! Thank Odin!

Now to cover him-I'm right in the middle of leveling Mordo and I have two of his covers sitting on the vine.

luckily for me I don't think i have to ever worry about fully covering mordo as I don't think I ever want to bother champing him unless he gets a massive redo.

Triz

Came in top 100 and got Sandman.

If you click on the link in the first post here you get a free Doctor Octopus 3* cover. I did this and got a bonus Sandman cover too. A glitch that worked in my favor not sure it will do it for you as well.

Top Bottom