• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Neoxon

Marvel and Sony making the deals. If SFV was a good experience for them, maybe they're looking at doing the same in locking down MvC4.
Street Fighter V did okay (albeit a bit below expectations), but Capcom is aware that it could have done better if they made some different decisions, judging by their comments during the investors' briefing. Capcom will probably take that to heart going forward. That said, SFV is a massive success from a competitive perspective, going by the 4k+ SFV entrants at EVO this year.

Overall, Sony has the FGC in a death-grip. MvC4 being a PS4 console exclusive would be icing on the cake for Sony.

Dahbomb

MVC4 Sony exclusive would be such a god damn cluster fudge.

First you know Capcom is going to be trying to get as many of the FGC favorite characters into the game as possible to secure the sales. You already there's going to be some heated discussion over getting characters like Magneto/Storm/Sentinel in there.

Secondly, Marvel as always is probably going to push for certain characters that maybe unpopular right now but have series/movies in the work down the line. Just like they did with UMVC3 and that's going to piss people off.

Finally, Sony will also have a say in the matter and they will try to shoehorn as many Spider Man characters/villains in it as possible.

MVC3 was already a licensing/character nightmare with 2 companies involved, it will be even more so with 3 companies involved. Capcom can't even get it right with SFV and can't even get a Capcom All Stars going internally... MVC4 is far above their weight class at the moment.

firelogic

Marvel isn't exactly filled with idiots running the place. I'm pretty sure they had their people run the numbers and they found that they aren't losing much, if anything, by binding Spidey to the PS4. If you haven't realized already, Marvel proper is in the business of extending their brand and making gobs and gobs of money. If it didn't make sense for them to go exclusive with Sony, they wouldn't have. If they thought they could make significantly more money by going multiplatform, they would have.

Naysayers are acting like business decisions like this are made on a whim. Marvel decided it was a good idea financially to partner with Sony. Insomniac decided it was a good idea financially and creatively to only work on one platform. Sony obviously likes the idea because it benefits them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm not sure if that's the case. The deal that transpired for the MCU was between Sony Pictures & Marvel Studios (the latter now being a separate entity from Marvel Entertainment, who oversees everything else, including the games).
Yeah, but most likely straightet out deals for a game while beeing at/shortly afterwards.
It just makes to much sense IMO.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Marvel Heroes 2016 is clearly not forbidden from using X-Men stuff. They don't do movie tie-in costumes or anything, but a fairly large X-Men roster is in the game, and recent additions to the Heroes and Team-Ups included Angel and Archangel. Beast is also an upcoming playable, with rumors of Domino in the pipeline, too. So clearly the X-Men "ban" is not universal.

Since this was most likely a trade off for Spider-Man getting in the MCU I very doubt that Marvel gives a shit about a couple millions from video games when they get the billion dollar Avengers paychecks

There is no possible way this is related to the Spidey MCU deal except in the sense that the deal opened up communication channels between other Marvel and Sony departments. The players involved in the Spidey MCU deal are completely unrelated to the videogame merch dealmakers. The trade-off in the movie deal was exactly what it seems: Marvel makes the movies, Sony gets to distribute, they both act like they're "collaborating" on the creative.

Neoxon

MVC4 Sony exclusive would be such a god damn cluster fudge.

First you know Capcom is going to be trying to get as many of the FGC favorite characters into the game as possible to secure the sales. You already there's going to be some heated discussion over getting characters like Magneto/Storm/Sentinel in there.

Secondly, Marvel as always is probably going to push for certain characters that maybe unpopular right now but have series/movies in the work down the line. Just like they did with UMVC3 and that's going to piss people off.

Finally, Sony will also have a say in the matter and they will try to shoehorn as many Spider Man characters/villains in it as possible.

MVC3 was already a licensing/character nightmare with 2 companies involved, it will be even more so with 3 companies involved. Capcom can't even get it right with SFV and can't even get a Capcom All Stars going internally... MVC4 is far above their weight class at the moment.
As far as promoting characters go, I wouldn't expect much in the name of promoting characters who have plans far in the future since Marvel Entertainment is now separate from Marvel Studios. The farthest they'll go as far as MCU plans go would be Inhumans, with its delay & Kevin Feige's recent comments likely have it pegged as a Phase 4 film.

Marvel Heroes 2016 is clearly not forbidden from using X-Men stuff. They don't do movie tie-in costumes or anything, but a fairly large X-Men roster is in the game, and recent additions to the Heroes and Team-Ups included Angel and Archangel. Beast is also an upcoming playable, with rumors of Domino in the pipeline, too. So clearly the X-Men "ban" is not universal.
You forget that Marvel Heroes was made before Contest of Champions (which was the cut-off point before the ban went into effect), so Gazillion isn't bound by the recent restrictions. They're in the clear until 2019, when they have to renew their contract. And even then, they already pissed off Marvel once already by doing a Fant4stic promotional event. Marvel can't do much else to them right now because they never signed their contract when the ban was in effect. But when 2019 rolls by, expect some major changes.

ZeroCDR

Street Fighter V did okay (albeit a bit below expectations), but Capcom is aware that it could have done better if they made some different decisions, judging by their comments during the investors' briefing. Capcom will probably take that to heart going forward. That said, SFV is a massive success from a competitive perspective, going by the 4k+ SFV entrants at EVO this year.

Overall, Sony has the FGC in a death-grip. MvC4 being a PS4 console exclusive would be icing on the cake for Sony.

Indeed! I'd also have more faith in Sony to work out a much better contract with Marvel on behalf of Capcom, it's kind of amazing MvC3 turned out as good as it did with so much working against it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There is no possible way this is related to the Spidey MCU deal except in the sense that the deal opened up communication channels between other Marvel and Sony departments. The players involved in the Spidey MCU deal are completely unrelated to the videogame merch dealmakers. The trade-off in the movie deal was exactly what it seems: Marvel makes the movies, Sony gets to distribute, they both act like they're "collaborating" on the creative.
The one big company is Sony and the other is Marvel. Of course there can be a connection. There can always be a clause. These companies even have clauses about merchandise.

Neoxon

Indeed! I'd also have more faith in Sony to work out a much better contract with Marvel on behalf of Capcom, it's kind of amazing MvC3 turned out as good as it did with so much working against it.
That said, you think Sony would stand a chance in trying to convince Marvel to make an exception for the ban? Clearly WB Games couldn't do shit (hence Lego Avengers), so I'm not too sure about Capcom & Sony's chances of changing their minds. While the guys at Marvel Games sound like pretty cool people, Ike Perlmutter is one stubborn motherfucker.

Mr Git

During that E3 interview the Marvel producer had said that Spider-Man was going to be the first, so I imagined they'd make it into a series. But good to have extra clarification. I like the direction Marvel are going in - i.e. no Activision and no movie tie-ins. Will be interesting to see what other games sprout up.

Neoxon

During that E3 interview the Marvel producer had said that Spider-Man was going to be the first, so I imagined they'd make it into a series. But good to have extra clarification. I like the direction Marvel are going in - i.e. no Activision and no movie tie-ins. Will be interesting to see what other games sprout up.
Well Revy, no Activision pretty much means no Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which would be to the disappointment of a number of people in this thread. But I overall approve of this new direction, as long as such plans include Capcom & MvC4.

ZeroCDR

That said, you think Sony would stand a chance in trying to convince Marvel to make an exception for the ban? Clearly WB Games couldn't do shit (hence Lego Avengers), so I'm not too sure about Capcom & Sony's chances of changing their minds. While the guys at Marvel Games sound like pretty cool people, Ike Perlmutter is one stubborn motherfucker.

I think Sony would have more weight to throw around for sure, it sounded like Capcom was pretty much Marvel's punching bag during the last go around. This is the road I'd like MvC4 to take if it were to go into development now. Just gotta hope for franchise history and fan feedback would prevail.

Neoxon

I think Sony would have more weight to throw around for sure, it sounded like Capcom was pretty much Marvel's punching bag during the last go around. This is the road I'd like MvC4 to take if it were to go into development now. Just gotta hope for franchise history and fan feedback would prevail.
Here's hoping. At the very least, Capcom should be able to do whatever they want with the game & only have to get Marvel's approval for characters. This would be beneficial for if Capcom wants to expand the Capcom Pro Tour to accommodate the hypothetical MvC4.

Marvel can work with anyone as long as the publisher is willing to give it their all and the developers are known for their quality products. Besides Sony, I honestly don't know who else can be a proper publisher to Marvel to really treat their games as their own. EA might be another one, but they are knee deep with Star Wars licensing.

In terms of developers, Telltale will definitely happen. Capcom, possibly if Marvel v Capcom doesn't follow the same fate as Street Fighter V. However if they needed Sony to co-fund that game, it's likely that Capcom will need backing from another publisher for a high-budget fighting game.

It's an interesting situation, mostly because of how expensive games are nowadays and how publishers and developers would often prefer to invest in their own IPs as they own it fully. Even Insomniac, while they do not own Ratchet & Clank nor Spider-Man, have their other indie titles and VR games that they have full rights to. Interesting times indeed.

Best wishes.

Neoxon

Marvel can work with anyone as long as the publisher is willing to give it their all and the developers are known for their quality products. Besides Sony, I honestly don't know who else can be a proper publisher to Marvel to really treat their games as their own. EA might be another one, but they are knee deep with Star Wars licensing.

In terms of developers, Telltale will definitely happen. Capcom, possibly if Marvel v Capcom doesn't follow the same fate as Street Fighter V. However if they needed Sony to co-fund that game, it's likely that Capcom will need backing from another publisher for a high-budget fighting game.

It's an interesting situation, mostly because of how expensive games are nowadays and how publishers and developers would often prefer to invest in their own IPs as they own it fully. Even Insomniac, while they do not own Ratchet & Clank nor Spider-Man, have their other indie titles and VR games that they have full rights to. Interesting times indeed.

Best wishes.
That's a common misconception. Capcom would have released Street Fighter V with or without Sony, but it would have been a 2018 release. All Sony did was speed up the process.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Aren't some of you just overthinking this deal between Marvel and Sony? After the Activision deal expired, Sony just made a really good pitch to Marvel, something like "you see those Arkham games... how about we make one of those with a Marvel character (Spider-man)?". Marvel looked around and saw that no other publisher was willing to spend 50m on such a game and thought "oh well good luck Sony!". Sony with the ip in it's pocket went on looking for a capable developer and ended up choosing İnsomniac Games. And here we are...

gabbo

Well I hope that Sony deal will eventually lead to multiplat Spidey, for the most part, yes those do sound like good moves going forward.

Neoxon

Aren't some of you just overthinking this deal between Marvel and Sony? After the Activision deal expired, Sony just made a really good pitch to Marvel, something like "you see those Arkham games... how about we make one of those with a Marvel character (Spider-man)?". Marvel looked around and saw that no other publisher was willing to spend 50m on such a game and thought "oh well good luck Sony!". Sony with the ip in it's pocket went on looking for a capable developer and ended up choosing İnsomniac Games. And here we are...
This is most likely how it went down.

Gator86

If platform exclusivity is the price that must be paid to get good Marvel games, I'm all in. Exclusives are only a problem when the exclusivity has no benefit other than one company getting a check and the other getting to boast about their lineup.

necrobumpbatman.jpg

PSOreo

This is all amazing news, I hope we don't have to wait too long for some of these titles to be released. From what has been gleaned from the interview it seems like they have the correct attitude going forward, let's just hope it pays off.

Can't wait to play Insominaic's Spider-Man!

Summary:
  • Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward. They want to find excellent teams and then dedicate the IPs to them so they can focus on quality. That's not to say Spider-Man can't be in a cross-over game, but you won't see something like Activision console Spider-Man games coming out alongside these. Jay explicitly says "The future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac."

jesus, Sony is just beasting right now aren't they

a fucking fully exclusive game based on the world's most commercially successful superhero, with high production values to boot

Top Bottom