• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Neoxon

Can you link me to an official source stating there's a ban?
Of course Marvel isn't gonna acknowledge it, otherwise they'd be painting themselves in a negative light. That being said, DeNA did confirm that Marvel is withholding the X-Men from recent licenses (with Marvel Mighty Heroes, one of the first games made after Contest of Champions).

mmh.png

Couple this with the string of Fox-free games, & anyone can put two-&-two together. To think that the situation isn't happening at this point is pure ignorance. The best thing we can do now is fight back.

vulva

Of course Marvel isn't gonna acknowledge it, otherwise they'd be painting themselves in a negative light. That being said, DeNA did confirm that Marvel is withholding the X-Men from recent licenses.

mmh.png

Couple this with the string of Fox-free games, & anyone can put two-&-two together. To think that the situation isn't happening at this point is pure ignorance.

So one mobile publisher being told to use other characters means there's a ban?

Xav

Fuck the days of licensed shit by Activision, THQ, LJN and so forth.

Marvel are killing it in the movie world and it seems they are taking console gaming seriously. I honestly could not be any happier reading Jay Ong's comments.

I really hope that Rocksteady's Batman games have paved for better licensed games. They weren't the first but were certainly the most impactful.

Platinum Games x Marvel needs to happen. (Just keep the Korra/Turtles director/team away)

Neoxon

So one mobile publisher being told to use other characters means there's a ban?
On its own, not really. But couple this with everything else that has happened, then yeah, it becomes clear that there's a ban (think of it like the snowball effect) For reference....
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0*: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
* = This game was made before Contest of Champions

If you're gonna bury your head in the sand & pretend that this isn't happening, then go ahead.

I'm surprised they wouldn't consider publishing the games themselves. Perhaps they will if this initiative is successful.

I think it's because it's more cost-effective for Marvel to license games out while still having some creative control than trying to take all the advertising and production know-how inhouse. I'm pretty sure Marvel isn't investing too heavily personally in these games development, whereas they would need to if they were publishing.

On its own, not really. But couple this with everything else that has happened, then yeah, it becomes clear that there's a ban (think of it like the snowball effect) For reference....
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four

If you're gonna bury your head in the sand & pretend that this isn't happening, then go ahead.

Wouldn't they be in post-Avengers 2? I mean, Wanda obviously, but since it's not tied specifically into the movies, there's no reason Pietro couldn't be in either.

I've also heard they've retconned it so Wanda and Pietro are no longer mutants but.. whatever they are in MCU, in the comics.

Neoxon

Different division as well. Ong helms the Console division, we don't know what restrictions they have. Ong hasn't said he is under any.
Lego Avengers couldn't even reference Johnny Storm by name in a quote from the OG Human Torch (he only alluded to Johnny with something along the lines of "I'm the first Human Torch, before.....you know."). So yeah, the restriction is impacting console games, as well. And if I recall correctly, the Baxter Building was removed from Lego Avengers' free-roam NYC (which was otherwise a drag-&-drop from Lego Marvel).

vulva

So tie ins to the Avengers movies, two other mobile games and a flopped skylanders rip off that pulls from all of disney are evidence there's a ban on the xmen?

Tripon

Lego Avengers couldn't even reference Johnny Storm by name in a quote from the OG Human Torch (he only alluded to Johnny with something along the lines of "I'm the first Human Torch, before.....you know."). So yeah, the restriction is impacting console games, as well. And if I recall correctly, the Baxter Building was removed from Lego Avengers' free-roam NYC (which was otherwise a drag-&-drop from Lego Marvel).
Lego games are under the mobile division according to Ong?

KissVibes

Banned
I think its really lame that these big IPs can be potentially locked away to one system only. I don't play on consoles anymore, I play on PC and its a bummer that I could potentially miss out on great games (and in turn they miss out on my money) because of deals like this. To go a step further, I would think the same way if there was a PC exclusive Iron Man game or some Avengers RTS that didn't come to consoles. Exclusivity for brands like these are unfortunate for fans and consumers.

My girlfriend will be getting a PS4 for Persona 5 and Sony games so I guess I can play Spider-Man occasionally. I just wonder what it'll be like when her and I both have no reason to have more than just our PCs.

Neoxon

So tie ins to the Avengers movies, two other mobile games and a flopped skylanders rip off that pulls from all of disney are evidence there's a ban on the xmen?
It's also the fact that they did Lego Avengers instead of Lego Marvel 2, the fact that there wasn't even a single mutant (Maximoffs aside, who have since been retconned) in the game, the Human Torch situation, & the removal of the Baxter Building.

But clearly you're choosing to pretend that it doesn't exist. Go ahead, fine. But if MvC4 happens in the near future, don't say I didn't warn you.

Neoxon

Lego games are under the mobile division according to Ong?
Not that I don't believe you, but mind if I see the link? It's a bit weird since Lego Avengers didn't get a mobile release.

Also, you may want to read up on the shit that Ike Perlmutter has pulled for reference.

The Giant

Banned
I would love to see Nintendo make an Marvel game.

It's been a while since Nintendo did a licenced game. The last few licenced games they did were Hamtaro and Eyeshield 21.

Neoxon

Read the OP?
*does Command + F*
Well thanks for that. Still weird considering that it's a console game, but whatever.

That still doesn't change the fact that we haven't seen Wolverine in a single game for an entire year now. With Ike Perlmutter's current reign of terror, it'd be foolish to hope for anything different for the console side of things without causing some outcry now before it's too late. Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, thrice onwards means that clearly something fishy is going on.

So just how bad is the feud between Disney and Fox? It seems Disney reallu wants to bring Fox to the table to renegotiate film rights to the Marvel franchises it has licensed.

Neoxon

So just how bad is the feud between Disney and Fox? It seems Disney reallu wants to bring Fox to the table to renegotiate film rights to the Marvel franchises it has licensed.
It's pretty bad. While the comics are safe, it's to the point where Ike Perlmutter supposedly demanded that all Fox-related merch at Marvel Entertainment HQ be removed.

Tripon

*does Command + F*
Well thanks for that. Still weird considering that it's a console game, but whatever.

That still doesn't change the fact that we haven't seen Wolverine in a single game for an entire year now. With Ike Perlmutter's current reign of terror, it'd be foolish to hope for anything different for the console side of things without causing some outcry now before it's too late. Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, thrice onwards means that clearly something fishy is going on.
You know, it's only a pattern until Marvel decides they want to change it. I don't disagree that Marvel had some sort of disinterest of making games for the movie characters they don't control, but I would rather take Jay Ong on his word that passionate pitches will wield successful projects instead of believing in a conspiracy that one man petulant behavior is stopping potential deals from happening.

My 2 cents. Disagree if you want.

Neoxon

You know, it's only a pattern until Marvel decides they want to change it. I don't disagree that Marvel had some sort of disinterest of making games for the movie characters they don't control, but I would rather take Jay Ong on his word that passionate pitches will wield successful projects instead of believing in a conspiracy that one man petulant behavior is stopping potential deals from happening.

My 2 cents. Disagree if you want.
But as passionate as Jay Ong is about Marvel console games, he can only allow so much. He would in theory still has to get stuff signed off by the higher-ups since he wouldn't want to do anything that would piss off the boss (Ike Perlmutter in this case). There's a reason why Kevin Feige broke away from Perlmutter.

As stated earlier, go ahead & pretend that the ban doesn't exist. But once we see more & more console games have to abide by it like the the mobile games & Lego Avengers, I did warn you.

Osukaa

As a Marvel fan and a Spider-Man fan in general. I have never purchased a Spider-Man game and the last console Spider-Man game I played was Maximum Carnage or something on the SNES. But I can say that I am really thinking about purchasing this game when it drops. I think it was awesome to get Insomniac in on the deal and I trust them as far as quality and gameplay goes. So I mean if anything with this announcement they got a new purchase and maybe a new fan of the Spider-Man Marvel gaming Universe in me. Also I probably will get hate for this next comment, but I enjoy when things are exclusive lol in my opinion it keeps each system worth buying and makes things interesting.

DONT come at me GAF

Neoxon

Another thing of note, while Gazillion did sign their contract before Contest of Champions was made, they still pissed off the higher-ups at Marvel for doing a Fantastic Four promotional event alongside the Fant4stic movie for Marvel Heroes. Since then, they haven't done anything related to the Fox movies as far as promotions go (Ex: There was no X-Men: Apocalypse promotional event in Marvel Heroes). That being said, as a result of them singing their contract far in advance, they can still include Fox characters if they want to.

Compbros

I dont care about this, if everything will be console exclusive. I have all three consoles and a pc.

exclusives are fucking stupid

Exclusives help keep the industry alive. Why would I buy a PS4 over a XBO or NX if every game is on every platform? It'd pretty much all just boil down to price v. specs since converters aren't irregular so controllers can be used on different consoles.

Exclusives help keep the industry alive. Why would I buy a PS4 over a XBO or NX if every game is on every platform? It'd pretty much all just boil down to price v. specs since converters aren't irregular so controllers can be used on different consoles.

i dont care about what you would buy. Exclusives like this do nothing but drive people away.

Vice

i dont care about what you would buy. Exclusives like this do nothing but drive people away.
It's a balancing act. With an exclusive you might be able to get a better marketing deal, access to a better studio with less direct cost to Disney and other perks. And when one platform has hige market share there isn't as much risk when it comes to alienating an audience.

Neoxon

It's a balancing act. With an exclusive you might be able to get a better marketing deal, access to a better studio with less direct cost to Disney and other perks. And when one platform has hige market share there isn't as much risk when it comes to alienating an audience.
Plus there's the fact that Sony is the undisputed market leader right now.

sector4

Sony didn't give the movie rights up did they? I thought they reached an agreement where Spider-Man would appear in the MCU, and that Sony and Marvel would co produce a new Spider-Man movie? Or did I get that wrong.

I think Spiderman will set the whole stage. They need to hit it out of the park a la Batman Arkham Asylum with a high MC score and great word of mouth. Prove to people that this is not the shitty Activision movie tie in games anymore. Insomniac has had a couple of good games, but this could set them to that next level and I'm sure they know it. They want to go back to being compared to Naughty Dog, not Sucker Punch (no offense to SP, who I like)

I want to see what they could bring. Lots of original and interesting possibilities, developers, and publishers available for AAA games. Besides, those, I like someone's idea of bring Marvel Super Heroes 2016 to consoles.

Would they rather have a Marvel-only fighting game as opposed to sharing half the roster?

I might piss neoxon off, but I would much, much rather have a Marvel vs DC or Avengers vs Justice League done by Netherealm than a Marvel vs Capcom 4.

Actually now that I think about it, this is what I want to know too.

I mean, Marvel/Disney owns his property in comics, tv shows, and now movies, but what if Sony worked a deal out for the franchise on video games in return for the deal for movie rights going back to Marvel Studios?

If the partnership works,w e could potentially even see Disney working with Sony on other things since they dont have a game studio any more.

Yfw Disney and Sony vs Nintendo and Universal.
vs Microsoft and Six Flags

Sony has always owned the Spiderman movies and I would expect that this video game partnership was one of the things Sony demanded from marvel in return for handing over their movie franchise back to them. It's a win-win scenario for both parties it seems.

Sony didn't give the movie rights up did they? I thought they reached an agreement where Spider-Man would appear in the MCU, and that Sony and Marvel would co produce a new Spider-Man movie? Or did I get that wrong.

Disney/Marvel would never give up a deal for what could be in perpetuity in this day and age. Bottom line is Sony needed Spidey in the MCU more than the other way around. From what is known, Disney/Marvel gave up a lot just to get spiderman in the MCU:

This is what we know for certain:
- Marvel can use Spiderman in the MCU
- Other MCU characters can appear in the Spiderman solo
- Sony is the distributor for Homecoming and retains all previous SM movie rights they had
- Feige and his team are actually producing the movie, free of charge (possibly only getting a contract pay)
- Disney pays a fee to Sony on the BO gross for solo spiderman movies

This is what's rumored:
- 3 year deal or 3 picture deal where spiderman can appear in the MCU and Marvel has control (this is the thinking of some folks based on the existing contract that the rights revert back to Marvel if the movies aren't made in X years. For example, if MS goes as long between Spiderman movies as they plan to for Ironman - and possibly the Cap - then the rights would revert to Marvel)
- Multiple games from Marvel to Sony
- Spiderman possibly exclusive to Sony console(s) for the mid term future

Deal seems very one sided, in Sony's favor.
Sony gets:
- Spiderman rebooted, made relevant again (I personally think it can do close or over 1B WW) and - if the rumor is true - in 3 years or 3 movies, Sony can take full control of the character again when it's relevant and at an all time high
- Ironman and one of the hottest actors reprising his most famous role in the Spiderman movie
- Kevin Feige and his team doing the work, at no extra cost
- Other MCU characters in the spiderman movies, free of royalty charge
- Apparently spiderman (and other Marvel characters) for games. This is very beneficial to Sony, and if you remember Kaz Hirai has mentioned that VGs is one of the 3 sony pillars, so one can easily assume VGs is more important to Sony than movies
- Control rights to a Spiderman animated movie that's unrelated to the MCU

Marvel gets:
- Spiderman in the MCU

I feel there is more to this deal than what is publicly known, but it remains to be seen.

they are going to have pry the movie rights from Sony's dead body. i highly doubt sony would ever let that go.

Spider-man on his worst day is a 700 million dollar box office. They're not giving that up.

Disney/Marvel already is prying Spiderman from Sony under our very eyes. Sony used to get 50% of ALL Spiderman merchandise and now they get 0. Sony used to make the animated TV series, and now they don't. Sony used to have creative control of spidey in the movies, and now they don't.

As mentioned above, Marvel/Disney gave up a lot, much more than I think a Disney entity would give up for just creative control of spidey in the MCU. Furthermore, 5 million of videogame sales is $200-300M in revenue. 10 million is $400-600M. That's not counting the indirect revenue from high level exclusive(s). People will buy PS4s and into Sony's ecosystem.

Apologies if this was already addressed in the OP or elsewhere in the thread, but will there be a shared universe between Marvel games, a la MCU?

*EDIT: It would be interesting if they assigned different character to different manufacturers. For example, Spidey would be Sony, Ironman would be Microsoft, and Captain America would be Nintendo. Or something like that.

I'm neither a fan of Retro Studios' Metroid or Donkey Kong games, but for some reason I find the idea of a Retro-developed Captain America immensely appealing.

I honestly don't want a Marvel Game Universe.

I think it will only limit what developer can do in their games. like what if Insomniac want to include Ironman in the new Spider-Man game, but Disney already had another Iron-Man game in development. they will have to coordinate with the writer from different studio to make sure they don't have story problem etc. it will only further complicated the development process.

just make it stand alone, if they want to make it a universe, then let it be Insomniac Marvel universe, as in Insomniac can include IronMan etc, but it will be their Ironman and it will be different with Ironman game from another studio.

but seriously, Spider-Man comic has enough source material that they don't need other heroes for a couple games

edit: you know, I think this is one reason why Spiderman had such a distinctly different costume. to separate it from the comic and movie franchise. this will be Insomniac's version of Spider-Man. if they include IronMan, it will probably also gonna get it's own unique costume.

ps3ud0

Do we know for sure that Sucker Punch is working on a new IP? They could do a great job with a number of Marvel properties.

Maybe Remedy is working with Marvel on something...
I do wonder what Sucker Punch is working on, its been 2 years since Infamous: Second Son and I cant believe whatever it is wont be shown at some point this year. Be nice to be another Marvel license - unsure if they want to do another Infamous so hoping new IP...

I wish Remedys second project could be a Marvel IP but I guess theyd have a publisher lined up as part of that.

ps3ud0 8)

Elfstruck

I do wonder what Sucker Punch is working on, its been 2 years since Infamous: Second Son and I cant believe whatever it is wont be shown at some point this year. Be nice to be another Marvel license - unsure if they want to do another Infamous so hoping new IP...

I wish Remedys second project could be a Marvel IP but I guess theyd have a publisher lined up as part of that.

ps3ud0 8)

Sucker Punch's new IP is way behind Sony Bend's game. You won't see their new game anytime soon.

Awesome infodump. Fucking pumped for the future of Marvel games, and I have my fingers crossed for great Cap and Iron Man efforts. Long dev cycles and big budgets are music to my ears.

I never expect this. Sony has system seller right here with Spider-man
Seriously.

I feel like it's understated just how massive of a pick-up this is by Sony. Just as big as Uncharted and God of War honestly.

Neoxon

In honor of the Marvel video game hype & Guardians Vol. 2 wrapping up principal production, I've decided to bust out the Chris Pratt avatar once again.

Top Bottom