• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Sesha

Can't think of a license where "the grunts are shredded like they're nothing and barely do any damage" thing in Mosou games would make more sense than being the fucking Hulk.

I can see it now. Hulk: Indestructible Warriors.

Hulk, She-Hulk, Red Hulk, Amadeus Cho, Hercules, Abomination, Ares, Devil Dinosaur, etc. as playable characters.

SCB3

Do we know for sure that Sucker Punch is working on a new IP? They could do a great job with a number of Marvel properties.

Maybe Remedy is working with Marvel on something...

There were a lot of Rumors that Sucker Punch was doing this Spider-Man game, or inFamous 3

Steroyd

There were a lot of Rumors that Sucker Punch was doing this Spider-Man game, or inFamous 3

The rumour was a Spiderman game under Sony's umbrella, people were hoping it was Sucker Punch because they did Infamous and is a Sony 1st party.

SCB3

The rumour was a Spiderman game under Sony's umbrella, people were hoping it was Sucker Punch because they did Infamous and is a Sony 1st party.

Oh, I though it was a leak or something

anyway Insomniac is a fantastic choice and hopefully Sucker Punch! can go and make inFamous 3 with Cole!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I can see it now. Hulk: Indestructible Warriors.

Hulk, She-Hulk, Red Hulk, Amadeus Cho, Hercules, Abomination, Ares, Devil Dinosaur, etc. as playable characters.

Devil dinosaur being playable would make up for red hulk being in the game by a good amount

So hyped for Spider-man on PS4, surprised it wasn't Sucker Punch but I guess that frees them up for a new Infamous game, which would be awesome.

The trailer looked so good and with Insomniac saying on twitter that the trailer was actually in game footage, this Spider-Man game could be the best one ever, hopefully the can pull this off.

Falchion

This sounds amazing and it opens up the doors to a lot of cool Marvel characters getting styles of game that fit them the best. Hopefully Insomniac will hit Spider-Man out of the park and really drum up the interest from players and developers to make more, and different superhero games.

Helznicht

Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward.

My Son shed tears. He is a PC only gamer and a huge Spidey fan.

Wait, that says "only console Spider-Man series"......
so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-o.gif

nillapuddin

Not anymore. The only franchises that still use 2D graphics or sprites are BlazBlue, and indie and doujin fighters like Arcana Heart. The recent iterations of Guilty Gear and King of Fighters both use 3D graphics now.

oh, thats a shame, well like I said, Im not super up on the fighting world anymore.

You do realize how expensive HD 2D sprites are, right?

people are in here jizzing about fully open world day night cycle iron man games, I feel pretty justified in asking for some sprite based combat

Neoxon

I want a third person overwatch style x-men game so bad.
I could see that idea being applied to the Avengers (since, again, the X-Men are off-limits). I'd say the Guardians, but their roster isn't nearly as varied as the Avengers.

Oh god, Hulk Musou would be brilliant.

Yes. Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Developed by Radical Entertainment, the guys that later did Prototype.

Rocksteady is under Warner Bros., along with Monolith Productions and Netherrealm Software. Don't expect anything from any of these.

This is something I didnt know I wanted, and yet I do

Neoxon

people are in here jizzing about fully open world day night cycle iron man games, I feel pretty justified in asking for some sprite based combat
Fair enough, but 2D sprites are sadly inefficient these days. There's a reason why Guilty Gear & King of Fighters moved on to 3D models.

Neoxon

Guardians with a an open access to Marvel Cosmic, and you can do anything.
If that's the case, do Guardians then. I was just operating on the assumption that they would limit themselves to just Guardians members. Having all of Cosmic Marvel for such a game would be nuts!

CTRL + F "Capcom"

god fucking damnit
I wouldn't worry, there's a shit-ton of MvC talk in this thread (most of it from me).

Helznicht

i think it is time to buy your son a ps4 :)

I don't buy his gear any more (he is too fickle), he is 13 and earns his own money that he does with as he pleases. He could easily save up for a PS4 by the time spidey releases, but I know he will just put it back into his PC before that happens.

You should have seen the rage-fit he threw when he saw Injustice 2 wasn't coming to PC. It was glorious.

Nyanmaruz

Daredevil
Iron Fist
Moon Knight
Punisher
Blade

JUST GIVE ME ALL THE STREET LEVEL HEROES!!

Also: Captain America, Wolverine, Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Thor, Black Panther, Dr.Strange and Ghost Rider PLEASE

Wiped89

No pressure then, Insomniac.

Kind of hope reviewers are kind to it so that it may actually develop into a flourishing stable of Marvel Videogame Universe Avengers games.

Iron Man game PLS

Neoxon

I don't buy his gear any more (he is too fickle), he is 13 and earns his own money that he does with as he pleases. He could easily save up for a PS4 by the time spidey releases, but I know he will just put it back into his PC before that happens.

You should have seen the rage-fit he threw when he saw Injustice 2 wasn't coming to PC. It was glorious.
Just curious, has your son ever experienced the Marvel vs. Capcom games?

Skux

Thank God no more tie-ins.

I think we can all agree that Sucker Punch would make an amazing Iron Man game.

Mulgrok

A SHIELD espionage RPG made by Obsidian.

Squirrel Girl beatemup, perhaps buddy cop duo with Spiderman.

GLA Telltale game.

the possibilities are endless.

bunkitz

• He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games.
  • Marvel will also only work with developers who are clearly very excited about the IP itself instead of just the IP's money making potential. He notes that he can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if someone is actually passionate about the IP in question.
Everything, but these two especially.

30agtR1.gif

Also, that ten-minute thing is super convenient. As someone who hates to commute and shit, I am very happy for them.

Incredibly excited to hear confirmation that there are other console games in development right now. Really hope that Sucker Punch is one of them, although I hope whatever game they make will be more like inFAMOUS 2 than Second Son.

Now please, give me Moon Knight, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Captain America.

More Spider-Man, though. This means they're really hoping it's going to be like the Batman Arkham series then. I'm confident in Insomniac, but I'm still hoping that they really do manage to pull it off and that it'll be a critical success.

Oh, and shit. Give me Nova. I'd want that more than Iron Man. Not just because space and Nova Corps, but I'm kind of tired of Iron Man.

Tosyn_88

This is a real gold mine for developers who are struggling to get an idea for a new game. If you look at the cast of available characters in the Marvel roster, there's a character for every genre that exist within the Marvel universe. The first guys to take on an Avengers game and pull it off will get a real Hall of fame treatment

Jay Ong has done two more interviews about Marvel's upcoming plans:
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/16/j...-return-to-blockbuster-games-with-spider-man/
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-spider-man-leads-marvels-epic-new-console-strategy

Summary:
  • (...)He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games.(...)
  • (...)Marvel will also only work with developers who are clearly very excited about the IP itself instead of just the IP's money making potential. He notes that he can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if someone is actually passionate about the IP in question.(...)

Sounds like a verbal slap towards Activision.

Tosyn_88

Everybody talking about an open world Iron Man game but honestly a level based game would fit him much better.

What do you mean by level bases game? I'd be honest, an open world game wouldn't really work either, because it's a very fast suit, flies faster than a jet

Most of this sounds great except for this part:

Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward. They want to find excellent teams and then dedicate the IPs to them so they can focus on quality. That's not to say Spider-Man can't be in a cross-over game, but you won't see something like Activision console Spider-Man games coming out alongside these. Jay explicitly says "The future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac."

I don't like the idea that any character specific game can potentially be a platform exclusive. If it's just like a certain game "franchise" for a character (like say ALL Web of Shadows games will be for PS4 but Shattered Dimensions are on Xbox), that's one thing, but ALL games dedicated to that character? That doesn't seem like the right way to go about it even if cross-overs are on the table.

JP

[*]Movie tie-in games are over for Marvel. This is the same as their mobile strategy. All games will be given lengthy development cycles with all the budget they need and have no concerns about hitting a specific date tied to a movie/comic book/whatever. Marvel is very clear that developers cannot be rushed or underfunded if they're going to make great games.
That's the main thing for me.

it's always seemed misguided to piggyback on a film that probably isn't going to be very good anyway but hopefully they'll make more money because the public is more aware of it.

I'm really hoping that this game is fantastic and that marvel does well out of it too. What they're trying to do sounds perfect to me so I really hope that it works out for everybody.

I'd say that this is a big win for Sony and Insomniac as Spider-Man is surely Marvel's marquee trademark, by some stretch. Addmitedly, it's taken a bit of a knocking lately.

G-Bus

Banned
Really happy to hear they are focused on quality above all else. About time we got some good super hero games.

Very excited to see what insomniac has in store for Spidey.

I'd like to see a hulk game. Antman as well. Think they could do some neat things given the nature of his powers

Cth

Loved Hulk:UD, but if anyone else is going to do a game besides Radical, have the guys who did Crackdown and use that destruction engine they're using.

IE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWANLy9TjRc#t=238s

Imagine leaping and buildings falling all around you, picking up chunks/boulders and tossing them. Luring enemies away from destroying buildings, etc.

And like someone mentioned, you could have multiplayer in the form of the other Hulks.

World War Hulk DLC, etc

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wonder if the games will connect like the Marvel Universe has?

Sesha

Devil dinosaur being playable would make up for red hulk being in the game by a good amount

How would you feel if Skaar was in it as well?

I don't like the idea that any character specific game can potentially be a platform exclusive. If it's just like a certain game "franchise" for a character (like say ALL Web of Shadows games will be for PS4 but Shattered Dimensions are on Xbox), that's one thing, but ALL games dedicated to that character? That doesn't seem like the right way to go about it even if cross-overs are on the table.

It's all games made under the contract they have. I assume the license isn't exclusive indefinitely.

AGITΩ

Maybe each of the Big 3 will get an exclusive Property, like Microsoft getting Like Ironman and Nintendo getting Ant-man[size transitioning and imaginig this with Pikmin 3 level design i think could work] . Then key 3rd parties getting other titles like Platinum with Daredevil and so on.

It doesn't quite work that way, but the end result is the same.

It's not that all Spider-Man games are exclusive to Sony. It's that there is one series of Spider-Man games and that series is exclusive to Sony.

Top Bottom