• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite Review Thread

Then why are they pouring money and care into the scene and not excessively pretty storymodes?

Everyone wants to sell a billion copies of everything they do, but there are more ways to skin the cat. NRS has wanted to make gains here and has tried, many times, to get it. They've thrown literally seven figures at it and have failed to meaningfully grow competitive Injustice and MK.

They didn't do that because they didn't see value in it.

Injustice and Mortal Kombat are so big they are just trying to gain the mindshare of the "hardcore community". That's why they are trying to push into the scene as a nice *bonus on top of their sales.

Capcom however NEED these games to start taking off or their fighting teams could be in a bit of trouble

"This game looks ugly" is not the same as "capcom didn't spend 20 million dollars on facial animation and graphics" and you know it

MvC3 didn't have a massive budget yet it has a better visual presentation than MvCI, and that game came out six years ago. SFV looks way better than this game and that game is nearly 2 years old.

And presentation matters whether you care or not

Yeah, I agree. I mean, I'm a long running casual of the Versus series (and fighting games in general to be honest) and part of the hype of the Versus games from that perspective, even if they've been traditionally scant on modes, is seeing my favorite characters rendered in cool Capcom styles. MVC3 was more or less initially disappointing to me because it felt like it hadn't done a great job translating the classical Capcom sprite art into 3D, but it quickly grew on me and I went forward thinking it actually looked pretty great.

That hasn't really happened with MVCI yet, though I'm willing to make a few concessions in terms of visuals and presentation: color usage is great, the lighting seems alright, and I generally think the stage backgrounds look fantastic.

It's the character models and the UI elements that truly suffer, though, and that applies to characters that already existed in fine visual form in MVC3, like Cap and Dante. The UI lacks any oomph -- generally seems like basic text and perfect square edges everywhere. There's no sense of life and personality -- no pulsing X-factor gauge, no use of layered paneling graphic design to meters, no comic book panel main menu with foreground images of the game's roster in crazy situations... It's all so meh.

I mean, I could give a lot more forgiveness to something like KOFXIV knowing that it's a company rising back from the ashes and finally make its very first debut into the 3D space... But Capcom Versus games have a much different, long-running reputation and an establishment in the 3D realm that I just don't feel is quite lived up to in Infinite, and despite being a fighting casual, part of the draw of the Versus games is being able to play with a lot of characters from a wide variety of properties I enjoy outside of the realm of fighters in crazy, celebratory presentation, and that just isn't achieved with Infinite. And while I understand Capcom is struggling, I feel like there could've been a lot of ways to work around their budget limitations and still deliver something better than MVCI's launch look. I hope that the game sees enough commercial success so that it can spur some alterations in its presentation later down the road, similar to how KOF XIV got patched for improved visuals later.

I'm still excited, I may be casual but I do know enough about fighting games to understand the implications of the gameplay changes. The initial roster does feel like the most underwhelming debut roster in the Versus series to me so far, but it still features enough that I'm not feeling completely excluded. However, the presentation is holding it back from the long-running high-bar love I've had for the series, and I hope it can be addressed later on.

Guys, esports is important. Didn't you see that leaked presentation?

If everything goes right Capcom makes enough money to fund the production of a single fighting game character after an entire years work.

All the other fighting game developers are missing out.

Trickster

Metacritic is still the professional standard.

OpenCritic is a cool fan project but it's still a "me too" operation. It shouldn't be the only aggregator listed in a review thread.

Isn't the only real difference in the aggregate score that metacritic favours more wellknown outlets by having them impact the score more? While opencritic just weighs everyone equally?

It's not like they wary more than .1 at most, so I don't see the issue really.

Durden77

SFV part 2.

awful fanservice (arguably worse in this because SFV doesn't have to follow this, while Marvel vs Capcom is the definition of a fanservice game)
poor graphical quality
poor UI quality
no player 2 rematch

solid gameplay

I'm guessing the only thing they did learn from SFV was to put in actual modes into the game this time? Also not release the story mode 4 months later.

Weird thing to nitpick, but it's actually the loser that gets the option for rematch/character select/exit after the game, which is the way it should be.

And solid gameplay goes a very, very, very long way with many people, the majority of the people that are going to buy this game.

I think MK/Injustice raised the bar for fighting games and capcom can't keep up with it.

The scores are higher than expected honestly.

MK/Injustice raised the bar in their own ways, but all of those games I play for like a week and never care to play again. The one I played the most was MK9 but I still gave that up after about a month or 2.

While Capcom can't keep up with NRS's story presentation, modes, video game shit, NRS can't keep up with the gameplay that Capcom provides and that most FGC players crave.

The main reason I haven't picked this up is the roster.

I think the UI looks horrible and the artstyle is hideous ~ overall I think this the worst looking fighting game artstyle-wise that I've even considered playing.

However, if this game had Magneto and some number of X-Men, I would have been there day 1.

molnizzle

Isn't the only real difference in the aggregate score that metacritic favours more wellknown outlets by having them impact the score more? While opencritic just weighs everyone equally?

It's not like they wary more than .1 at most, so I don't see the issue really.

The difference is Metacritic is a professional outlet owned by CBS Interactive while OpenCritic is owned be a gaffer with a Patreon.

It's basically a fan site. Fine to list it along with Metacritic, but Metacritic should still be listed. It's still the standard that the industry uses.

Yukinari

Isnt it kind of hilarious how the MH team didnt want their character in Marvel 3 and now we get it and its a game that makes the capcom characters look worse.

nelo_inc

The roster and presentation are pretty bad,was actually thinking it would score lower than this.

Capcom is on the right path to destroy their fighting games,SFV and this one are much worse than their predecessors.

nded

Capcom is on the right path to destroy their fighting games,SFV and this one are much worse than their predecessors.

I dunno. Despite its popularity MvC2 was an obvious cash grab with a dumpster fire presentation that was only saved by how hilarious it all was. SFIV has its own weird-ass issues that would prevent me from saying that SFV is unequivocally worse than its immediate predecessor.

Isnt it kind of hilarious how the MH team didnt want their character in Marvel 3 and now we get it and its a game that makes the capcom characters look worse.
Female MH is actually the best looking character. MH doesn't really have a destinct style so her character model is fine.

Dahbomb

Say wha? I don't think I've ever heard that opinion about 2.
The game was an asset dump and had a definite mugen like quality to it where you had all these different quality sprites set to some janky looking PS2 quality 3D backgrounds that made no sense with the universes or franchises used.

Honestly speaking, MVC1, COTA, MSH and MVC3 are the best presented VS games.

Skab

Say wha? I don't think I've ever heard that opinion about 2.

Marvel 2 was an asset dump, with oddly clashing stage visuals, and was fairly disliked in arcades at launch.

Didn't stop people from warming up to it and it ultimately becoming one of the greatest fighters out there though. Hopefully people give Infinite a fair shot.

Jawmuncher

The game was an asset dump and had a definite mugen like quality to it where you had all these different quality sprites set to some janky looking PS2 quality 3D backgrounds that made no sense with the universes or franchises used.

Honestly speaking, MVC1, COTA, MSH and MVC3 are the best presented VS games.

MVC2 has the best music tho

Trickster

The difference is Metacritic is a professional outlet owned by CBS Interactive while OpenCritic is owned be a gaffer with a Patreon.

It's basically a fan site. Fine to list it along with Metacritic, but Metacritic should still be listed. It's still the standard that the industry uses.

I mean, gamefaqs is also owned by CBS, while NeoGAF is essentially a fansite operated by a gaffer. But I sure as hell am gonna stick with NeoGAF over the garbage dump that is gamefaqs any day of the week.

Durden77

MVC2 has the best music tho

Yeah but imagine that MvC2's music/presentation didn't exist and Infinite launched with it.

The reaction would be that they didn't even give af. Smooth jazz? Wtf does this have to do with anything? And why is there a big 3d clown in the background? Wtf is this game? Get your shit together Capcom ect.

BiggNife

Marvel 2 was an asset dump, with oddly clashing stage visuals, and was fairly disliked in arcades at launch.

Didn't stop people from warming up to it and it ultimately becoming one of the greatest fighters out there though. Hopefully people give Infinite a fair shot.

Was it really?

I remember being amazed by MvC2 when I first saw it in an arcade simply because a 56 character roster was almost unheard of at that time

I was so amazed at the amount of characters that it really wasn't until later that I realized how much of MvC2 is just recycled from other games

Anne

Was it really?

I remember being amazed by MvC2 when I first saw it in an arcade simply because a 56 character roster was almost unheard of at that time

I was so amazed at the amount of characters that it really wasn't until later that I realized how much of MvC2 is just recycled from other games

I have some old Tips and Tricks laying around cause I'm friends with the writer from back then. I might go dig them up to post scans, but I can remember Marvel 2 being treated pretty poorly early on. I've been told from those old players that Capcom fighting games around that time period were kind of being clowned on outside of a couple of exceptions.

I'd argue MvC2 looks just as cheap as Infinite, but it's easy to see why. It's a bunch of characters from a bunch of other games mixed together with a few new ones. It's a mess, but it's an expected mess. You knew exactly what you were getting.

People were expecting much more from Infinite. In all honesty, I would have KILLED for Infinite to have turned out similar to MvC2. Throw all the characters from UMvC3 in there, tweak/rebalance the gameplay, and bring in some new characters, stages and music and call it a day.

Skilletor

MvC2 looked worse than every game that came before it, had a huge roster but also had shit like bone claw wolverine and servbot. People hated that they changed the control scheme from 6 to 4 buttons.

People warmed up eventually, but I know it took a minute.

MrCarter

It's around 77 (for now) on metacritic which means "Generally favorable reviews" from their site. Pretty much the same as SFV and that's not bad at all. Unfortunately even great reviews don't reflect sales in the fighting game market because is this was the case KoF14, GG and BlazBlue would have sold well.

It's sort of mind boggling to me that the next big game Capcom is putting out is Monster Hunter World, which feels and looks very much the opposite in terms of care and budget.

Indeed. Even Resident Evil 7 looked and played amazingly. They really need to keep a closer eye on their FG division.

Durden77

I'd argue MvC2 looks just as cheap as Infinite, but it's easy to see why. It's a bunch of characters from a bunch of other games mixed together with a few new ones. It's a mess, but it's an expected mess. You knew exactly what you were getting.

People were expecting much more from Infinite. In all honesty, I would have KILLED for Infinite to have turned out similar to MvC2. Throw all the characters from UMvC3 in there, tweak/rebalance the gameplay, and bring in some new characters, stages and music and call it a day.

What? People were not expecting a mess with MvC2. They had less ability to learn about the development process than we do now. How they hell would people know it was going to be an asset dump and expect that? People were just expecting a sequel to MvC1 and that's it. What they got was a fucking mess and it took years before people realized it had potential besides the massive roster.

Usobuko

Banned
While I do think Capcom fucks up with its production values, the word "Capcom" is a bad association to the title name.

If you want the mass mainstream audience to buy this game like MK or Injustice 2 had, you need to remove Capcom from the name, up the production values and change the fighting looks to resembled more of NRS game. Something the core audience will hate and provide tons of bad word-of-mouth.

The best possible iteration of Marvel vs Capcom is still a hard sell to the mainstream crowd. Just look at Tekken 7, its Japanese identity is killing its mainstream appeal comparatively.

We live in a world where the 360 happened and social media is dominated by Western entertainment. This is the reality.

MrCarter

From their own financial statements, their growth during last fiscal year came from better than expected USFII sales from Switch players. If this games doesn't sell the expected 2 million, it will be a failure, just like SFV. You are grossly overestimating how much money they actually get from the tournament FGC.

They get a significant amount from sponsors, views and DLC. Of course SFV has its own issues and gameplay is subjective at best but it's far from a failure in the e-sports landscape.

It's a lot of empty statements. The reality is ESL replaced SFV with Injustice 2.

SFV is not some massive esports game like CS GO.

What are you regurgitating about now. ESL just yesterday hosted a SFV tournament in New York's Barclays Centre with a prize pool of $50,000.

Ulrich Schulze, Senior Vice President of Product at ESL commented: “We’re proud to bring Street Fighter V back to the legendary Barclays Center again this year.

“The performances and passion of the attendees in 2016 was everything we could have imagined and we are looking forward to witnessing the evolution of the game and its competitors at ESL One New York this September.”

Empty statement lol

While I do think Capcom fucks up with its production values, the word "Capcom" is a bad association to the title name.

If you want the mass mainstream audience to buy this game like MK or Injustice 2 had, you need to remove Capcom from the name, up the production values and change the fighting looks to resembled more of NRS game. Something the core audience will hate and provide tons of bad word-of-mouth.

The best possible iteration of Marvel vs Capcom is still a hard sell to the mainstream crowd. Just look at Tekken 7, its Japanese identity is killing its mainstream appeal comparatively.

We live in a world where the 360 happened and social media is dominated by Western entertainment. This is the reality.

I don't think that's the issue.

What is with this random alternative history that MvC2 wasnt loved at launch ?

Among the FGC and hardcore crowd perhaps they thought it was mess and didnt like it. But Reviewers and Casuals loved it.

Its got a 90 on Metacritic and IIRC back then it kept popping up as the must have fighter on Dreamcast after Soul Calibur.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/dreamcast/marvel-vs-capcom-2
Yup. The glowing GamePro review is actually what pushed me to get the game (my first MvC game). Been a fan ever since.

I'm usually hyped for almost every new fighting game, but the new Marvel VS Capcom doesn't do much for me. Thought maybe it will get great reviews, which would help to get me hyped at least a little bit, but seems like it's not happening.

I'm sure you can have some fun with the game, but this release feels not like something special at all :(

Especially after playing Dragon Ball fighterz, which is like a dream coming true to me.

Grimsen

Among the FGC and hardcore crowd perhaps they thought it was mess and didnt like it. But Reviewers and Casuals loved it.

Its got a 90 on Metacritic and IIRC back then it kept popping up as the must have fighter on Dreamcast after Soul Calibur.

Nah mvc2 was the first marvel game to go toe to toe with SF as far as tournament popularity goes. Mvc1 tournaments were popular, but were mostly a sideshow to sf. Mvc2 got real popular real quick. I ran tournaments in Montreal almost weekly at some point.

mas8705

Reading all these "MvC2" love/hate comments is making me think of the Rick and Morty episode of split timelines.

I was too young to get swept away by the fighting game scene, but I did play MvC2 and enjoyed it. Looking back on it though, it does seem as though that it was literally a dump of literally all other Capcom fighting games thrown in together and the end result produced was much better than we realized. I guess since I was part of the younger crowd (or at least younger in mind perhaps), that I enjoyed the game and the music (and probably gave me my love of Jazz).

I'm usually hyped for almost every new fighting game, but the new Marvel VS Capcom doesn't do much for me. Thought maybe it will get great reviews, which would help to get me hyped at least a little bit, but seems like it's not happening.

I'm sure you can have some fun with the game, but this release feels not like something special at all :(

Especially after playing Dragon Ball fighterz, which is like a dream coming true to me.

As a huge fan of the MCU I am weirdly unenthusiastic about this game. I'll get it eventually but I'm in no rush.

The fact I'm more excited for a crossover were I barley know half the properties(Blazblue:Cross Tag Battle) is just surreal to me.

Anne

Nah mvc2 was the first marvel game to go toe to toe with SF as far as tournament popularity goes. Mvc1 tournaments were popular, but were mostly a sideshow to sf. Mvc2 got real popular real quick. I ran tournaments in Montreal almost weekly at some point.

I was told by people around at the time too that it was pretty polarizing and took a deal of warming up to from the start. I could be listening to crazy old men (old man Wilson is a nutter) and just got it wrong. Could also have just been a weird ass time for the FGC so it got mixed up at different places.

Dre3001

That hasn't really happened with MVCI yet, though I'm willing to make a few concessions in terms of visuals and presentation: color usage is great, the lighting seems alright, and I generally think the stage backgrounds look fantastic.

It's the character models and the UI elements that truly suffer, though, and that applies to characters that already existed in fine visual form in MVC3, like Cap and Dante. The UI lacks any oomph -- generally seems like basic text and perfect square edges everywhere. There's no sense of life and personality -- no pulsing X-factor gauge, no use of layered paneling graphic design to meters, no comic book panel main menu with foreground images of the game's roster in crazy situations... It's all so meh.

I mean, I could give a lot more forgiveness to something like KOFXIV knowing that it's a company rising back from the ashes and finally make its very first debut into the 3D space... But Capcom Versus games have a much different, long-running reputation and an establishment in the 3D realm that I just don't feel is quite lived up to in Infinite, and despite being a fighting casual, part of the draw of the Versus games is being able to play with a lot of characters from a wide variety of properties I enjoy outside of the realm of fighters in crazy, celebratory presentation, and that just isn't achieved with Infinite. And while I understand Capcom is struggling, I feel like there could've been a lot of ways to work around their budget limitations and still deliver something better than MVCI's launch look. I hope that the game sees enough commercial success so that it can spur some alterations in its presentation later down the road, similar to how KOF XIV got patched for improved visuals later.

Perfectly said,

I have been a huge fan of the MvC series but the biggest criticism I have of this game is from everything I have seen it just looks so plain and boring.

This may as well be called Marvel vs. Capcom Corporate edition. Im not entirely sure of the reasoning behind the lack of funding for this game but even then Im not sure if that excuses such a plain UI interface.

The start menu, the character health bars, etc all just looks so plain. MvC has been a series always known for its fanservice and flare. This game basically has no personality whatsoever. It seems like the entire budget was meant trying to make a dramatic story similar to the Marvel films and they disregarded everything else.

The reviews say the game plays well so I think many will still give it a shot but this is a huge disappointment coming from UMVC3.

brian!

Just gonna drive-by post and say that while a lot of the criticisms of this game are totally valid the gameplay itself is incredible and worth the price of admission

If the soul was taken out of it's presentation then it was transferred to the gameplay, i cant believe how fun the game is and i hope dbzf can acheive the same level...

By Japanese identity do you mean a complete lack of tools for new players?

hawk2025

By Japanese identity do you mean a complete lack of tools for new players?

This is not true at all.

The tutorials, missions, auto-combos, roster-wide beginner combos, and easy Hypers are an incredible on-ramp for beginners. I'm 100% a casual fighting game player, and have been impressed by how beginner-friendly it is.

I lost count of how many hours my friends and I poured into MvC2 on Dreamcast, and then double-dipping on Playstation 2. Never once did we even notice or care that it used reused assets because it still looked great.

The only thing we really hated was the music. The juxtaposition between music and on-screen action was hefty. But that was a small complaint that didn't disturb the overall package.

Personally, I still like the original MvC better than 2 though, but only by a little bit. The announcer's voice, character select music, and stage music was better in the original.

JayEH

Tekken 7 was the best selling game in the US in June.

Please tell me more on how its not getting mainstream success.

Top Bottom