• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite Review Thread

Sheroking

"This game looks ugly" is not the same as "capcom didn't spend 20 million dollars on facial animation and graphics" and you know it

MvC3 didn't have a massive budget yet it has a better visual presentation than MvCI, and that game came out six years ago. SFV looks way better than this game and that game is nearly 2 years old.

And presentation matters whether you care or not

Presentation absolutely matters and it will hamper this game for no other reason than it creates a runaway narrative with casual fans who exaggerate it's importance next to it's fundamental gameplay.

That being said, I put no faith in mainstream reviews of competitive facing fighting games because the vast majority of the reviews are coming from people who are ignorant of crucial FG concepts and can't articulate a reasonable critique of the games engine and systems.

Injustice 2 is a bit of a mess, for example, but it tooks weeks to break that down for people who are knowledgeable. It's high scores and sales do not reflect it's quality as a long-term competitive fighting game. Dragon Ball FighterZ just had very mixed reactions from pro fighting game players on the beta, and the overall interest level in that game is very high due primary to presentation.

You can bust out "shill" here, but some of these people (I'm thinking about Floe in particular) were very critical of Marvel 3. The community reaction to Infinite has been very strong during the first week or so the majority of them have had the game.

Alienous

They didn't need to throw money at the game's presentation, just care.

From the character models, to the HUD, to the character select screen it doesn't seem like any effort was made beyond "that's serviceable".

Artanisix

i'm insulted by how fucking UGLY the game is

that alone does not warrant the full price tag *personally* although i will pick it up eventually when it goes on sale.

BlackJace

I continue to be baffled that Capcom seems to be treating one of its flagship franchises like a red headed stepchild.

Everything about Infinite seems sketchy and half-baked :/

BiggNife

Presentation absolutely matters and it will hamper this game for no other reason than it creates a runaway narrative with casual fans.

That being said, I put no faith in mainstream reviews of competitive facing fighting games because the vast majority of the reviews are coming from people who are ignorant of crucial FG concepts and can't articulate a reasonable critique of the games engine and systems.

Injustice 2 is a bit of a mess, for example, but it tooks weeks to break that down for people who are knowledgeable. It's high scores and sales do not reflect it's quality as a long-term competitive fighting game. Dragon Ball FighterZ just had very mixed reactions from pro fighting game players on the beta, who have been nothing but enthusiastic about Infinite's first few days.

You can bust out "shill" here, but some of these people (I'm thinking about Floe in particular) were very critical of Marvel 3.

To be fair I remember a lot of people being super positive on SFxT for a few weeks until everyone turned on it super hard so right now it's hard to say where MvCI will turn up.

And for what it's worth, major gaming sites are getting better about having writers that are actually invested in fighting games. IGN's review is from DarryH who has been in the FGC a while. Kotaku hired Ian Walker from SRK to cover their FGC esports coverage. Dudes like Patrick Miller and Chris Sausirager regularly contribute to sites like Polygon and Waypoint. It's not quite there, but it's getting better.

Probably higher than I would've expected given the horrid demo.
Might be good in a year or so when they release a version with all the characters. Not sure if they can fix all the ugly character models, though they did help Chun Lee look less awful.

I continue to be baffled that Capcom seems to be treating one of its flagship franchises like a red headed stepchild.

Everything about Infinite seems sketchy and half-baked :/
Don't forget that it's fucking MARVEL, which has never been this ITS FUCKING MARVEL before

I legit can't believe they didn't put more funds into this

I can’t get over how ugly the art is in this game and it’s not about budget. They could have increased the pixel and details by 100x and it would still look like the cheapest art design on the market.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Presentation absolutely matters and it will hamper this game for no other reason than it creates a runaway narrative with casual fans who exaggerate it's importance next to it's fundamental gameplay.

Injustice 2 is a bit of a mess, for example, but it tooks weeks to break that down for people who are knowledgeable. It's high scores and sales do not reflect it's quality as a long-term competitive fighting game. Dragon Ball FighterZ just had very mixed reactions from pro fighting game players on the beta, and the overall interest level in that game is very high due primary to presentation.

You can bust out "shill" here, but some of these people (I'm thinking about Floe in particular) were very critical of Marvel 3. The community reaction to Infinite has been very strong during the first week or so the majority of them have had the game.
Not everyone is interested into what the elitist FGC thinks about the game and what it takes to be a long term competitive game.

vg260

You usually don't want your IP being shown in a bad light

Sure, but the licensor typically doesn't fund development of the game. They license out their properties (i.e. sit back and collect cash and possibly make creative stipulations). The publisher funds the actual game development, unless you have console holder support for exclusivity like for Sony with SFV and Microsoft with some of their games.

I can’t get over how ugly the art is in this game and it’s not about budget. They could have increased the pixel and details by 100x and it would still look like the cheapest art design on the market.

It's the mid point between cartoon/comic/anime (previous game sprites, or 3's style) and realism (MCU inspiration, Hawkeye as bro with shades instead of purple suit), and basically has no style as a result. It's just "those sure are polygons and textures all right". I felt the same about MK9 and Inj 1, before X and 2 got the realistic style to the point where I was impressed by it.

I can't get over how ugly the art is in this game and it's not about budget. They could have increased the pixel and details by 100x and it would still look like the cheapest art design on the market.

I think it looks pretty competent in most areas now that they fixed some of the faces especially Chun Li's. Captain America is still something they should have scrapped entirely and reworked once the model was completed. It is fucking horrid.

It's the mid point between cartoon/comic/anime (previous game sprites, or 3's style) and realism (MCU inspiration, Hawkeye as bro with shades instead of purple suit), and basically has no style as a result. It's just "those sure are polygons and textures all right". I felt the same about MK9 and Inj 1, before X and 2 got the realistic style to the point where I was impressed by it.

Hawkeye hasn't worn his classic costume in the comics for decades, it's not an MCU/realism thing. They simply updated the character to his modern look. They should have done the same with Cap instead of whatever the fuck they came up with.

They could have used his Hickman run design.

avengers.jpg

The exposed ears are the weirdest part to me.

To be fair I remember a lot of people being super positive on SFxT for a few weeks until everyone turned on it super hard so right now it's hard to say where MvCI will turn up.

And for what it's worth, major gaming sites are getting better about having writers that are actually invested in fighting games. IGN's review is from DarryH who has been in the FGC a while. Kotaku hired Ian Walker from SRK to cover their FGC esports coverage. Dudes like Patrick Miller and Chris Sausirager regularly contribute to sites like Polygon and Waypoint. It's not quite there, but it's getting better.

It's easy to turn on SFxT when SFIV still had a healthy community playing it.

Sheroking

Not everyone is interested into what the elitist FGC thinks about the game and what it takes to be a long term competitive game.

And that's fine, but they don't really matter past the first two weeks of a games life or reflect on the merit of the game beyond the superficial.

Particularly when it's built to live and generate revenue off DLC and eSports for the next few years and not just sell a bunch of copies to fund the next one in 18 months.

JDdelphin

Still crazy to me that Capcom managed to have SF5 looks as good as it does, but then make a good chunk of the MvC:I character models look like they were ripped from a mobile game

Ha the game was probably first being developed for mobile as like a turn based gem game and trash looking characters probably were designed for that and kept as 'eeeeh good enough for this too.. sigh. sure wish we made that mobile gem game but ok....'

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
And that's fine, but they don't really matter past the first two weeks of a games life.

Particularly when it's built to live and generate revenue off DLC and eSports for the next few years.

Yeah, worked great for SFV and badly for Injustice 2.

Anne

I can very vividly remember the turning point less than 2 weeks after it launched actually haha. It still took a bit for everybody to get on board the hate train on that game, but the rumblings were real when things like the restand infinite and time out strats happened the first weekend or so.

Sheroking

Yeah, worked great for SFV and badly for Injustice 2.

Capcom has it's own issues holding it back, but NRS has repeatedly tried to grow it's games on a tournament level and Injustice 2 is already relegated to the same tiny corner of the community - after one of the most pathetic top-8 showings in modern EVO history.

This matters. Injustice 2 is not a goal for Capcom and it shouldn't be. They make better competitive games and they need to grow that side of things WITHOUT attracting all of the negative press from casual fans. Part of that involves getting the presentation right.

I wonder how far a filter or different lighting would go. I personally love how UMvC3 looks. I wonder if they could make Infinite look like that. Seems close enough.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Hawkeye hasn't worn his classic costume in the comics for decades, it's not an MCU/realism thing. They simply updated the character to his modern look. They should have done the same with Cap instead of whatever the fuck they came up with.

Except he also doesn't wear what he wears in the game.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Yeah that was a crazy turnaround.

Oh snap also Cross Assault...

This is about what I would expect. It's at the same Metascore as Street Fighter V.

This makes sense given that it seems like a more complete product, but expectations have also raised over time.

I just think people end up getting humbled.

You don't have people defensively barking about Evo and Capcom Pro Tour like during SFV's launch.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom has it's own issues holding it back, but NRS has repeatedly tried to grow it's games on a tournament level and Injustice 2 is already relegated to the same tiny corner of the community - after one of the most pathetic top-8 showings in modern EVO history.

You know what the truly massive eSports games have in common? Massive user bases. But I guess that if all you care is EVO entrants, its fine for you. But is it for Capcom? I bet Capcom is dreaming for Injustice 2 success.

It's sort of mind boggling to me that the next big game Capcom is putting out is Monster Hunter World, which feels and looks very much the opposite in terms of care and budget.

Sheroking

You know what the truly massive eSports games have in common? Massive user bases. But I guess that if all you care is EVO entrants, its fine for you. But is it for Capcom? I bet Capcom is dreaming for Injustice 2 success.

I'm actually thinking more about viewers, sponsorship deals, TV deals, etc - where Capcom roflstomps all over NRS in spite of userbases and such (Street Fighter V's active users will no doubt exceed Injustice 2's long term).

Like I said in the edited version of this post: Capcom needs to stop attracting this much heat from casual fans, but their growth doesn't come from releasing a bad competitive game with bells and whistles for casual fans like Injustice. That actually isn't the model.

In a world where we have Injustice 2, Tekken 7, and DBZ Fighters all in the spotlight you can't just ignore how poor MvCI visuals are. They stick out like a sore thumb next to the other big fighting games in the market

K.Sabot

SFV part 2.

awful fanservice (arguably worse in this because SFV doesn't have to follow this, while Marvel vs Capcom is the definition of a fanservice game)
poor graphical quality
poor UI quality
no player 2 rematch

solid gameplay

I'm guessing the only thing they did learn from SFV was to put in actual modes into the game this time? Also not release the story mode 4 months later.

Poster#1

I think MK/Injustice raised the bar for fighting games and capcom can't keep up with it.

The scores are higher than expected honestly.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually thinking more about viewers, sponsorship deals, TV deals, etc - where Capcom roflstomps all over NRS in spite of userbases and such (Street Fighter V's active users will no doubt exceed Injustice 2's long term).

Like I said in the edited version of this post: Capcom needs to stop attracting this much heat from casual fans, but their growth doesn't come from releasing a bad competitive game with bells and whistles for casual fans like Injustice. That actually isn't the model.

From their own financial statements, their growth during last fiscal year came from better than expected USFII sales from Switch players. If this games doesn't sell the expected 2 million, it will be a failure, just like SFV. You are grossly overestimating how much money they actually get from the tournament FGC.

BadWolf

Capcom would give all of that up in a heartbeat to get MK/Injustice sales.

BiggNife

Stop trying to make OpenCritic happen.

I think it's good to have both OC and MC in a reviews OP

I have a few issues with OC and I'm not fan of one of the creators shilling it on this forum at every opportunity he gets, but I'd rather see unweighted scores than MC's weird mystery weighting that they refuse to explain for reasons that are definitely not sketchy at all

From their own financial statements, their growth during last fiscal year came from better than expected USFII sales from Switch users. If this games doesn't sell the expected 2 million, it will be a failure, just like SFV. You are grossly overestimating how much money they actually get from the tournament FGC.

It's a lot of empty statements. The reality is ESL replaced SFV with Injustice 2.

SFV is not some massive esports game like CS GO.

Sheroking

From their own financial statements, their growth during last fiscal year came from better than expected USFII sales from Switch players. If this games doesn't sell the expected 2 million, it will be a failure, just like SFV. You are grossly overestimating how much money they actually get from the tournament FGC.

I think you grossly underestimate what doing hundreds of thousands of live TV viewers with partners like ESPN and Disney, sponsors like Red Bull means and could mean for them moving forward.

Nobody is excusing their lack of polish and inability to sell through more units. The way NRS has accomplished it is NOT the way they need to accomplish it. They actually need to release better competitive games with longer shelf lives.

Capcom would give all of that up in a heartbeat to get MK/Injustice sales.

Then why are they pouring money and care into the scene and not excessively pretty storymodes?

Everyone wants to sell a billion copies of everything they do, but there are more ways to skin the cat. NRS has wanted to make gains here and has tried, many times, to get it. They've thrown literally seven figures at it and have failed to meaningfully grow competitive Injustice and MK.

They didn't do that because they didn't see value in it.

Do we even know the numbers NRS tournaments pull in compared to Capcom run tournaments?

JayEH

I think you grossly underestimate what doing hundreds of thousands of live TV viewers with partners like ESPN and Disney, sponsors like Red Bull means and could mean for them moving forward.

The game has only sold 300k copies since its opening month.

mas8705

It looks like most of the MvC community is migrating over to Infinite pretty happily. Ultimate had become pretty stagnant lately and I think a lot of them were ready to move to a new game. Unlike Brawl, Infinite actually looks like its mechanically good enough to have a strong competitive community grow out of it too. So far even watching early fgc streamers play around with it has been pretty enthralling to me. I hope SCR this weekend will be a good showcase of some early tech.

Most of the pros have moved to Infinite. MvC3 has worn out it's welcome to the point where old vets like Justin Wong and FChamp stopped playing it and now they're itching to get back into Marvel with this new game. MvC3 ain't coming back. This isn't gonna be a SFxT situation.

Part of me wanted to say "SFxTK" with Brawl, but part of me backed out since I felt like it wouldn't have been as good of a comparison like Brawl to Melee was. If anything else, it is great to hear that the migration to Infinite has been a smooth one and that players have come to enjoy it and the mechanics.

We can all agree that while Infinite could have done a better job in terms of presentation and a roster (and how for some reason they give Marvel more leeway than Capcom), at least the gameplay has been fantastic. If you could only do one thing right, the gameplay is definitely the one you want to nail. For myself, I'm just going to wait patiently until tomorrow when I get off of work to start enjoying the game at long last. ^_^

Top Bottom