• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite Review Thread

So how does budget in a game like this even work? Is Capcom paying Marvel for rights to use their characters or is Marvel paying Capcom to make a game with their characters? Is it co-financed?
Marvel has a ton of money so I dont understand why this game looks like it does and Capcom I don't think is broke either. Was it just not worth putting a lot of money into it?

JayEH

So how does budget in a game like this even work? Is Capcom paying Marvel for rights to use their characters or is Marvel paying Capcom to make a game with their characters? Is it co-financed?
Marvel has a ton of money so I dont understand why this game looks like it does and Capcom I don't think is broke either. Was it just not worth putting a lot of money into it?

Capcom pays a license fee to use the characters. Marvel has no involvement on the monetary side besides maybe helping with marketing.

Grimsen

With their budget, the story mode should have been the first thing to go. Should have added characters and spent more time on 3D models instead.

But Story mode is what the people seemingly want, so they went in that direction.

Neonep

If this game doesn't do well Capcom has nobody to blame but themselves.

1. Even without X-Men & Fantastic Four characters they could have still had an amazing roster but nobody at Capcom saw the roster and thought I don't think this is a great roster. The majority of the roster is returning characters and even then they didn't have the fan favorites. I understand Marvel has their character restrictions but nothing but poor decision making on their end left out Akuma, Vergil, Phoenix Wright, Wesker, & Amaterasu but they kept characters nobody was really asking for like Firebrand, Nemesis, & Spencer.

2. Everybody knows this game didn't look good from a visual standpoint but nobody at Capcom thought so. Smh.... NOBODY at Capcom thought that the art style, models, etc. didn't look good but it's clear as day to everybody else.

3. The Marketing/PR of this game has been atrocious. Haven't seen one this bad since DmC. Every single announcement outside of the initial one was either overshadowed by something else or just plain bad. That Gamespot interview also did them in a bit. That stream last week was just horribly timed and they were only answering questions that streamers already answered.

Who would have thought that Capcom could hamper a series like MVC so much by their own doing. Smh... How far have they really fallen.

I-hate-u

What's funny is that as far as I remember for the longest time during its heyday Mahvel 3 was considered broken garbage. Only in recent years it seems to have garnered better standing for some reason.

Ultimate was mostly fine until the TAC infinites and minor balances that could have been easily remedied with a patch but they didn't.

Still is a fantastic game.

Capcom knew the game was ugly, they just probably couldn't do much about it. I have to imagine they were on a shoestring budget for this game.

I get the impression reading some of these reviews that maybe they're being too nice? I don't know nothing about this game seems like they put the same effort they did with the last two.

I get the impression reading some of these reviews that maybe they're being too nice? I don't know nothing about this game seems like they put the same effort they did with the last two.
Sounds like it's really really fun to play, but everything outside of that is a complete disaster.

Which is funny because this was supposed to be the casual friendly one compared to SFV.

gunstarhero

The scores seem about right - though the criticism on the story mode are a little crazy to me - I loved story mode.

Game is super tight and fun to play. Models are garbage though.

Capcom pays a license fee to use the characters. Marvel has no involvement on the monetary side besides maybe helping with marketing.

But I'm guessing the Marvel roster is chosen by Marvel? I guess as a stipulation for the rights?
It's just dumb to not put some real money into a Marvel game with such a big emphasis on the MCU. I'd like to think people who like the MCU would be interested in this than in the previous games. It's in Marvel's best interest for this game to be really good.

Neonep

With their budget, the story mode should have been the first thing to go. Should have added characters and spent more time on 3D models instead.

But Story mode is what the people seemingly want, so they went in that direction.

Nobody was asking for a fucking story mode yet that is where the budget went instead of making the game look good and having a fantastic roster. Whoever was OK'ing the final decisions on this game needs to be talked to or something. So many things about this game are wrong.

tariniel

So it's actually good then, if I can get past the visuals?

I really want some PC mods to change the UI, and disable all voices. The voices are so bad that they're really distracting. Maybe I can just toggle them to Japanese voices.

But I'm guessing the Marvel roster is chosen by Marvel? I guess as a stipulation for the rights?
It's just dumb to not put some real money into a Marvel game with such a big emphasis on the MCU. I'd like to think people who like the MCU would be interested in this than in the previous games. It's in Marvel's best interest for this game to be really good.
I think they put as much money into this as they could- all their money went into RE7.

DrArchon

So it's actually good then, if I can get past the visuals?

I really want some PC mods to change the UI, and disable all voices. The voices are so bad that they're really distracting. Maybe I can just toggle them to Japanese voices.

There's no Japanese VA in this game. Sorry.

Neonep

Capcom seriously dropped the ball on their side of the roster. No excuses on that front.

Anne

You generally don't see fighting game scores go lower than like a 7 as long as they fundamentally function as a fighting game. It's kind of impossible for a reviewer to actually tell you how the game plays past "well I can pick characters and do combos and that feels alright." Most reviewers don't even really get into mechanics like that in other genres. The few that actually do are probably the same ones handed FGs to review, and even then it's too hard to make even a realistic guess at how it will turn out. SFxT is the perfect example really.

Some of the fighting games that are panned by competitive players or even regarded as being mechanically too broken to even consider playing seriously end up with 8-9. A FG review is like a default 7 usually with points added for looking good or having content. The exceptions are games that are obviously shovelware really.

Dahbomb

What's funny is that as far as I remember for the longest time during its heyday Mahvel 3 was considered broken garbage. Only in recent years it seems to have garnered better standing for some reason.
Marvel 3 has always been broken garbage just like every MVC game.

The reason it got more hate at the start was that people thought it was scrubby on top of being broken. Over time the skill cap for the game kept increasing and it became a very difficult game to keep up with, hence the respect. It was broken and even a bit scrubbish but it was not an easy game.

Anne

Marvel 3 has always been broken garbage just like every MVC game.

The reason it got more hate at the start was that people thought it was scrubby on top of being broken. Over time the skill cap for the game kept increasing and it became a very difficult game to keep up with, hence the respect. It was broken and even a bit scrubbish but it was not an easy game.

Basically. MvC3 is a really great fighting game, but it had a multi-year discovery cycle with some ups and downs along the way. It was fun the entire time though with a lot more up moments than down ones though. I don't ever think it hit a point where it was considered competitively not suitable. The worst of it was a few months into vanilla with DHC glitch and Pheonix, but Ultimate turned that around a bit.

NEO0MJ

Marvel got the lion's share of both base roster new characters and DLC characters. Twice as many as the newcomers from Capcom's side in both cases.

NRS is owned by Warner Brothers. They have mad money.

You recall what Mortal Kombat games looked like BEFORE they were bought by Warner Brothers, right?

In the teams defense Midway was forcing them to pump out as many games as possible in a short amount of time as they were the only thing keeping the publisher afloat.

Dahbomb

Also people are now realizing how great the presentation was in the game. From the feel of the moves, to the visuals, the voice acting, menus, UI and the roster. It is especially obvious when compared to Marvel Infinite and now that Marvel 3 is on PC.

For the record I do think MVCI will be a good FG doe MVC fans (ie. busted but fun fighter) but the presentation just doesn't compare to Marvel 3.

Didn't notice the review thread so going to copy and paste my thoughts on the reviews overall from the other thread here.

Now to see how well it will hold up and see if Infinite will overtake MvC3 or if it will meet the same ironic fate as Smash Bros Brawl.

Most of the pros have moved to Infinite. MvC3 has worn out it's welcome to the point where old vets like Justin Wong and FChamp stopped playing it and now they're itching to get back into Marvel with this new game. MvC3 ain't coming back. This isn't gonna be a SFxT situation.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

yeah, who cares about gameplay in videogames anyway

jett

D-Member
Neverrealm has created the template for SP success for fighters Just copy it Capcom. Sheesh.

You mean just copy their looks-expensive-as-fuck story mode with Hollywood-tier facial animation? Or the hundreds of customizable outfits? To make something like Injustice 2 you require a fuckload of money. I guess they could make living towers/multiverse or something.

Mainstream fighting game reviews are funny.

Game is awesome and has a bunch of systems I don't understand, also capcom didn't spend 20 million dollars on facial animation and graphics - 7/10

Dahbomb

Most of the pros have moved to Infinite. MvC3 has worn out it's welcome to the point where old vets like Justin Wong and FChamp stopped played it and now they're itching to get back into Marvel with this new game. MvC3 ain't coming back. This isn't gonna be a SFxT situation.
Yeah there is 0 chance that this is going to be a Brawl type situation. Pros are enjoying MVCI quite a bit already (many more than 3) and just about everyone has moved on already. Marvel 3 had its last send off tournament yesterday, it is officially rest in peace now. It might pop back here and there like Marvel 2 but it's no longer a mainstay.

Yukinari

Low budget presentation nets you a low budget score.

The gameplay could be the best in the marvel series but it doesnt mean a lot when the game sounds and looks like an amateur project.

It looked really fun to play and maybe a bit too intimidating for casuals as well.

They aren't broke (actually have a decent pile of cash), they just don't want to spend much of it and are taking as little risks as possible.

yep, seems they're playing it very safe. So if the game were to bomb, it wouldn't be a huge loss.

There's a fine line between taking risks, and being creative with limited assets when it comes to Capcom though.

JayEH

yep, seems they're playing it very safe. So if the game were to bomb, it wouldn't be a huge loss.

There's a fine line between taking risks, and being creative with limited assets when it comes to Capcom though.

look at KOF XIV. Made with a happy meal budget with a team that has no experience in 3d. Looks like shit but had 50 characters at launch with a 1/3 of them new.

Blueblur1

Neverrealm has created the template for SP success for fighters Just copy it Capcom. Sheesh.

This is what I've been saying for months in reference to SFV (since its been getting updates and a huge update may be coming). But as many have said, to execute what NRS does well a developer will have to spend a lot of cash.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
LfL7q3f.gif
And now pokken deluxe is who've it at 79

BiggNife

Mainstream fighting game reviews are funny.

Game is awesome and has a bunch of systems I don't understand, also capcom didn't spend 20 million dollars on facial animation and graphics - 7/10

"This game looks ugly" is not the same as "capcom didn't spend 20 million dollars on facial animation and graphics" and you know it

MvC3 didn't have a massive budget yet it has a better visual presentation than MvCI, and that game came out six years ago. SFV looks way better than this game and that game is nearly 2 years old.

And presentation matters whether you care or not

Top Bottom