• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite Review Thread

mollipen

Reviewing Fighting games is a weird thing. Street Fighter x Tekken got great reviews (84 on Metacritic), but the competitive community abandoned it because it was a bad competitive game. You can judge the content around it (Story mode, ect), but the actual game itself is the most important part of the equation, and it's going to take time to see how the game holds up to people playing it for hundreds of hours.

Yup, and I think I even said that sentiment in my SFxT review. They're just such hard games to review, because it's almost impossible to know their true worth until the community has had time to dig into them and see if they have that "it" factor to last.

I remember when we reviewed a game at GameFan called Critical Blow on PS1 back in the day. Wrote it off at first, but a few months later a handful of us were in love with it.

Neoxon

What are the folks saying on the netcode? How are lobbies, actual spectating ?
  • Netcode impressions are positive (based on SFV's netcode), but I'd wait for launch for legit opinions when the servers are under stress.
  • Lobbies are handled similar to ARMS in that you can have multiple fights go on at once. Some even reported that you can enable Online Training Mode through the lobbies in this game.
  • Spectator Mode is there, but I couldn't find many impressions on it.

I'm still having a hard time understanding why they shrunk the roster and went from 3 to 2 characters.

The game has a full length, fully animated cinematic story mode which no other Marvel VS. game has ever had. Basically the equivalent of creating a mini feature film. So, that took some of their attention/resources away from roster size (seeing just how open the fighting game engine is, it seems like balancing characters in this game would be REALLY hard. So, even returning characters probably would take a lot of work to incorporate into this game).

Also, older Marvel VS. games were 2v2 as well. 2v2 isn't a downgrade from 3v3 just because the numbers are smaller. Just a different style of game, with a different vibe and focus.

emperor_ing

Neo Member
I wasn't that hot on this anyway with its MCU focus but after reading those reviews I'll probably skip it or wait till its cheap later down the line. The lacklustre roster on both sides and the poor design put me off as a more casual fighting game player.

I don't disagree, but it's what the media has adopted. Games that get 5s or 6s are generally crap. I wish "5 is average" was the norm but it just isn't.

I generally find myself shrugging my shoulders and concluding that it doesn't really matter so long as more people than not are familiar with the level of quality that a score is intended to convey. If there was a conscious decision to jettison the academic scoring standard in favor of a new, universally understood system (which could still include a 10 or 100 point scale) I'd be fine with it. But as is I feel like it's mostly a fool's errand to try and suggest that 50 is the new 75 (for instance).

I feel like the demo pretty much told me all of this - it's absolutely hideous from a presentation standpoint, the story is complete nonsense but the core mechanics are some of the best around in the fighting game genre.

It's Mahvel and the core mechanics are solid, this is still a day one for me.

The game has a full length, fully animated cinematic story mode which no other Marvel VS. game has ever had. Basically the equivalent of creating a mini feature film. So, that took some of their attention/resources away from roster size (seeing just how open the fighting game engine is, it seems like balancing characters in this game would be REALLY hard. So, even returning characters probably would take a lot of work to incorporate into this game).

Also, older Marvel VS. games were 2v2 as well. 2v2 isn't a downgrade from 3v3 just because the numbers are smaller. Just a different style of game, with a different vibe and focus.

Eh, I liked MvC2 and 3 the way they were, and this feels like a step back.

Perineum

• Netcode impressions are positive (based on SFV's netcode), but I'd wait for launch for legit opinions when the servers are under stress.
  • Lobbies are handled similar to ARMS in that you can have multiple fights go on at once. Some even reported that you can enable Online Training Mode through the lobbies in this game.
  • Spectator Mode is there, but I couldn't find many impressions on it.

Ok sounds good. I'll hold off on picking my reserve up tomorrow until the OT has folks sound off on the online on PS4.

I get the game is ugly as sin, but if it plays well and doesn't suck online then that works for me.

So basically, the game is mostly fun, the roster is average, and it looks like ass.

I might hold off on buying it until I can rent it.

This is the first MvC game that I'm not sold on upon release. What happened to you, Capcom? :(

Waiting for the 29.99 with Year 1 DLC version next year..

this is the first versus game i didn't buy on launch day (and i bought the jp sega saturn x-men vs street fighter with 4mb ram cart on launch)..

thanks capcom!

Capcom need to realize that what casual need in fighting game is a sense of progression. not in term of becoming better player, but progress as in you get reward and not not wasting time even if they're losing. A cinematic story mode is just a short distraction, its expensive to make and only extend the play time by 2 hours or so.

What they should have focused on in mvc and sf 5 is to have lots of unlockables. Either character short story enfing, art gallery, unlockable color, costumes, taunts, win pose, voice lines, etc. Make it so that every 3 or 4 match, player can earn or unlock something. If theyre not a good player and lose a lot, mzke it a bit longer. But the point is even the bad player can still unlock stuff and that will motivate them to play more.

The era where people play game just for the core good mechanic is over. Only hardcore do that. Its the reason why most online shooter have xp nowadays. Even overwatch where there are no weapon unlocks and character stat is static, make sure to give you random stuff from voice over, logo etc every few matches or so.

Sf v fight money is a good idea on paper, but the execution sucks. It only reward the good player and even they probably felt the rate to gain fight money is too slow or the cost for items are too expensive to be grinded via online fight. For the not so good players, the most relianle way to earn foght money is to play various modes as characters you dont necessarily likes.and by this time, its just a chore to play through.

I didn't even know this was coming out tomorrow. The marketing for this game is practically non-existent.

Enjoyed MVC3 fine, but I don't know if I'll grab this down the road.

mas8705

Didn't notice the review thread so going to copy and paste my thoughts on the reviews overall from the other thread here.

Regardless, so far, it has been to be expected what the reviews would be: Presentation is poor, Roster is lackluster, Story Mode is passable and the gameplay itself is commendable. Definitely could have been better, but I suppose if the gameplay is the primary focus, the rest apparently can be sacrificed (according to Capcom).

Now to see how well it will hold up and see if Infinite will overtake MvC3 or if it will meet the same ironic fate as Smash Bros Brawl.

Not surprised at all about the reviews.

I am waiting to hear about the sales numbers though - I'm expecting a bomb.

I've spent more hours on MVC2 and MVC3 than literally any other game in my lifetime, and I still haven't pre-ordered this.

I feel like I've learned more about this game just watching livestreams over the past several months than what can be provided from a professional, written review. I don't mean to cut down the value of traditional professional video game reviews, but when it comes to fighting games they're rarely the experts on the genre and their couple weeks of playing with other game website/magazine employees rarely truly represent the long-term experience and life of a fighting game.

Jawmuncher

I've spent more hours on MVC2 and MVC3 than literally any other game in my lifetime, and I still haven't pre-ordered this.

I think this'll be the wake up call that Capcom can't have their cake and eat it too.
"We slacked on the graphics compared to SFV but we fixed everything else so we're good!".

Nah capcom if you want the sales and casual audience. You gotta have the whole package at launch. Fixing the faces was at least a step in the right direction. Can't imagine how things would be if they had just said fuck it and not updated anything.

groansey

The roster is so, so bad. And the art style is all dark and shit compared to the colourful and comic book MvC2.

Part of the issue is that whilst Capcom have moved on, the classic versions of their characters are still the most iconic. Nobody wants MvC3 Jill Valentine. Jill Valentine should be in her Resi 1 outfit, with zombies, tyrant and rocket launcher specials.
Nobody likes Resi 5 really, not compared to the earlier games, so why we have been given fucking Spencer two games in a row... he may be popular among current players but he is a shit-tier character design.

Meanwhile, Marvel is pushing the MCU, and whilst some of their choices aren't bad, the varied and eccentric roster from MvC2 is sorely missed. The X-Men are sorely missed.

These last two games weren't MvC to me.

Now to see how well it will hold up and see if Infinite will overtake MvC3 or if it will meet the same ironic fate as Smash Bros Brawl.

It looks like most of the MvC community is migrating over to Infinite pretty happily. Ultimate had become pretty stagnant lately and I think a lot of them were ready to move to a new game. Unlike Brawl, Infinite actually looks like its mechanically good enough to have a strong competitive community grow out of it too. So far even watching early fgc streamers play around with it has been pretty enthralling to me. I hope SCR this weekend will be a good showcase of some early tech.

mollipen

I feel like I've learned more about this game just watching livestreams over the past several months than what can be provided from a professional, written review. I don't mean to cut down the value of traditional professional video game reviews, but when it comes to fighting games they're rarely the experts on the genre and their couple weeks of playing with other game website/magazine rarely truly represent the long-term experience and life of a fighting game.

To defend us in the media for a moment, the times when I've seen the most skill shown by game journalists has been at events specifically for fighting games. I'm not saying that every fighting game review comes out from the right people—I've seen some amazing examples of when that goes terribly wrong—nor am I saying that more casual players don't latch onto certain titles or franchises and review them. (For example, MK/Injustice tend to be popular with more casual players, so you'll see reviews from folks who may, for example, be bigger comic fans than fight game fans [at least for Injustice].)

Having gone to a ton of events in my life, though, I can tell you that I've met a lot of media people who have zero time, concern, or care for fighting games, so they simply refuse to touch them. (Opposed to most other genres or types of games, where even people who aren't big into a particular title being shown off will care about, say, the latest Call of Duty, or Gears of War, or Uncharted, or whatever it is.) At that point, if the outlet has a fighting game person, they'll be sent to cover the game instead. At events that are specifically focused on a particular fighting game (versus a bigger event where one exists), I've met some really good players, and the media that I meet at those events tend to be the most dedicated and interested in what they're covering than almost any other type of preview/hands-on event. I remember one pre-launch SFV event, for example, where some of the other media folks even brought their own controllers/sticks (as did I) in order to play properly.

I'd never say I'm any sort of fighting game expert (I've loved them since Street Fighter II, but I'm realistic about my own skill level), nor would I claim that a lot of the other fighting game fans I've met in the media are saying the same thing, but the people covering fighters tend to be the ones I'd actually trust the most at times. The problem simply comes down to making sure you know who those people are, which outlets they're at, and paying attention to their stuff, versus checking out the sites that just sees fighters as this weird niche genre that are a pain to have to cover. (I legitimately had someone earlier in my career ask me to review a fighting game for their outlet who told me "all you really need to do is play the game for an hour or two and you'll be good to review it", which drove me crazy.)

At that point, it really is way easier to just follow the pros and watch their streams or YouTube videos, which then is frustrating for people like me. Outlets tend to not give much concern for fighters, and then it's hard to get people to check out our stuff because of the other folks who have no idea what they're talking about. So, quite often, it feels like you're just putting effort into making content to then simply throw it straight into the trash can. *heh*

groansey

This game wishes it was compared on the same level as MvC3. Your knocks against 3 is just a couple of odd-ball character picks, but le's not pretend MvC3 wasn't the greatest MvC game.

MvC2.png

Asd202

It sounds like SFV where the gameplay is great but the surrounding package weakens the whole thing.

Yeah it seems like pople that really care about core fighting will find what they want but everybody else is like meh. Netherrealms really changed "the game" and Capcom can't compete with their budget.

Eh I'm still pretty excited for the game, even with the middling reviews...

Because that good good Capcpom check cleared ;)

Really though, I don't think I've ever felt the entire Kubler Ross cycle in the time leading up to a game's release like I have this one.

On one hand, the game looks like shit on several levels. The main menu screen makes it look like an early access game, several of the character models are severely lacking in quality, the overall aesthetic suffers from a lack of a coherent art style and the roster is fucking atrocious.

And yet, it still looks like a fucking blast to play. It looks super fast, the Infinity Gems (Stones? Idk, man) look like a fun addition, I like the idea of the new tag system and the new characters (few that there are) look pretty fun.

BadWolf

Yeah it seems like pople that really care about core fighting will find what they want but everybody else is like meh. Netherrealms really changed "the game" and Capcom can't compete with their budget.

Capcom being cheap is a given but what's interesting is that Marvel didn't care enough to give them a budget to compete with Injustice.

jett

D-Member
This game wishes it was compared on the same level as MvC3. Your knocks against 3 is just a couple of odd-ball character picks, but le's not pretend MvC3 wasn't the greatest MvC game.

What's funny is that as far as I remember for the longest time during its heyday Mahvel 3 was considered broken garbage. Only in recent years it seems to have garnered better standing for some reason.

sephi22

As far as I remember for the longest time during its heyday Mahvel 3 was considered broken garbage.
Mahvel will always be broken garbage. But Ultimate earned its stripes by the end of it's life. It's the best version of broken garbage yet.
It remains to see what tier of broken garbage MVCI will be once the honeymoon period ends

Grimsen

Man, fuck Marvel 3. The changes they made from 2 were bad. Xfactor was terrible.

MvCi looks way better already.

And MvC2's roster is still unrivaled. The only thing I hope comes around is a full blown XSF expansion for infinite. That would be a fucking good move.

Neoxon

Man, fuck Marvel 3. The changes they made from 2 were bad. Xfactor was terrible.

MvCi looks way better already.

And MvC2's roster is still unrivaled. The only thing I hope comes around is a full blown XSF expansion for infinite. That would be a fucking good move.
I feel like Marvel 2's roster was overrated, especially with the excess amounts of X-Men & SF characters. I feel like UMvC3 struck a better balance roster-wise.

Grimsen

I feel like Marvel 2's roster was overrated, especially with the excess amounts of X-Men & SF characters. I feel like UMvC3 struck a better balance roster-wise.

It's not overrated. MvC2 just had *everyone*, so there was really no bitching about characters being absent from one game to the next, like in MSF and MvC1.

My feelings on a lot of UMvC3's cast was ''that's not the right character from that franchise''.

Top Bottom