• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Story Trailer, Sep 17th, 8 reveals, 6 2017 DLC characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
6 day 1 dlc characters? Thats 3x as many as MvsC3 had!

*looks at fully complete package UMvsC3 PS4 disc*

See you on PS5, Infinite.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that's gotta be upsetting for fans, but i've always found the series too hectic

and these days i rarely dust off my arcade stick and it's been a long time since i was hosting fg nights at my apartment

give me a casual 4 button fighter that plays well on a d pad and i'll certainly buy a copy. keep it flooded with single player content for free, keep pumping out dlc costumes and marvel characters i love and i'll buy them. ideally all this happens on a switch, but that's clearly not in the cards yet.

Coda

My only hope is remembering that many of the designers and programmers that worked on the original Marvel Super Heroes and MvC games were on the project. It's hard to know what direction the game is taking so far, it just looks semi-bland visually. Hoping the gameplay makes up for it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
oXg9JMN.gif

Injustice was made by MK people, when has MK ever had SRK motion? Of course Injustice doesn't have it

fr0st

Banned
I don't give a shit about all those modes.

All i want is to do some awesome moves and combos without having to put tons of hours into the game.

I bought a fightstick especially for SF4 and couldn't even finish the fucking tutorial. Shit was just too hard.
So like a simple mode? Didn't umvc3 have that?

You want to do awesome moves and combos by pressing one button?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Eve if it is provided as an option, you would be foolish to pick the default control to DP.

That's because with down down you will always do auto correct DPs. Think about that for a second, that is a significant advantage to have.

Yeah man because you really needed to have your DPs auto correct often in marvel.

For people who want things to be less "hectic," then dumbing down motions isn't going to solve anything. The gameplay will still be fast-paced no matter what the control scheme is. What you want is to either rehaul the entire game so it plays more like CvS2, or...possibly find another series.

Must be Easy Operation mode. Highly doubt they'll just up and remove traditional inputs. They can't be that silly. As long as it has both, and the option to filter online players based on it then it should be fine. Speaking of online, anyhow they do like SFV and make me pick a Fave character over a versus screen for ranked... I'll be well sad.

Uraizen

Banned
Hmm... down, down DP isn't exactly foreign for me. What would be stupid is auto-combos that have no practical use in combos in general or do the same amount of damage as manually inputting them would be. That or taking away your creative freedom with combos in a marvel game.

Mugy

Where do you guys live. Making a DP motion its the easiest thing ever. Fighting games had to have a curve of more or less complicated chain-combos, or its gonna be boring.

Who in hell thinks DP its hard to do, my god

Sounds to me like you just don't wanna play fighting games, or can't be asked to actually practice them.
I mean, I'm all for more inclusiveness when it comes to catering to different types of players for fighting games, but those sick, flashy combos that Marvel's known for are the reward for actually y'know, learning how to play the game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't give a shit about all those modes.

All i want is to do some awesome moves and combos without having to put tons of hours into the game.

I bought a fightstick especially for SF4 and couldn't even finish the fucking tutorial. Shit was just too hard.

Preach. Hopefully more casual ppl will buy it now so I can have fun online abit lol

I'm going to let you in on a secret:

If you gave up that easily in the past, then you're still going to get creamed online in the future, no matter how "dumbed-down" the game is. The difficulty of a head-to-head competitive game isn't dependent on the gameplay; it's dependent on the players. Games get "dumbed-down" all the time, but the vast majority of players who perform well in one iteration continue to perform well in the next. Because they put in the work.

The goal isn't to do the flashiest combos possible or something; the goal is to beat that other scrub sitting next to you. And if you're not putting as much effort or thought into the game as your opponent is, then you're going to come up short no matter what.

To be frank, I don't really care about the latest news one way or the other. I've been on the hate train since the game's reveal because they took out assists. I honestly do believe that "simplifying" a game is a noble endeavor, but once that comes at the expense of the very core elements that distinguish the game from the rest of its peers, then you've lost me. I'm not sure what the appeal of this game is supposed to be outside of the license now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i doubt this is about making DPs easier, it's likely about making them controller-friendly

i was never on board for this until i got mkx xl on a whim. it can still feel pretty satisfying.

Ryce

My biggest concern is that fewer special move commands might mean fewer special moves. I know Chris lost some stuff, and I don't think he's alone.

How important is this change, really.

People keep throwing around the phrase "dumbed down" but to keep this in perspective, we're talking about flicking your thumb down twice and hitting a button as opposed to rolling it to the right and hitting a button.

How much smarter is the one than the other?
Simplifying the motion like this ends up making the characters and strategies more homogenous because the "Down Down" motion isn't just replacing the "Dragon Punch", it's also replacing the "Reverse Dragon Punch" motion. A change like this alters how individual characters are played and what strategies you can use against them. For example, Ryu's Shoryuken is a standard DP motion, so if he is advancing on you, you know he can easily perform that move and you will play more cautiouly as he approaches. A character that has a Reverse DP will have a harder time using that move while advancing on you, and thus they are more likely to only use the move defensively and that means you can be less cautious when they are attacking and you can use more risky strategies against them.
Also, as stated already, this motion means all DPs will now autocorrect, so the opposing player will no longer have to predict what side you will attack them from, simplifying the mind games.

You CAN have a good game that uses simplified controls, but you're sacrificing the characters' individuality.

I'm really disappointed right now.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the game in motion, but I really don't understand this change. It's unnecessary. I thought Combofiend working on the game was enough of a sign that the game wouldn't lose depth, since that was what the guys at Playstation Experience were saying. Ugh.

My biggest concern is that fewer special move commands might mean fewer special moves. I know Chris lost some stuff, and I don't think he's alone.

I think you should let the devs talk about stuff like this. All you're doing right now is creating a panic, especially since you can't/won't talk about it.

Coda

I just really hope they keep the room for creativity and style in the game, if every character has 3-5 cookie cutter combos and no real room to expand than the game is gonna be ass.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
i doubt this is about making DPs easier, it's likely about making them controller-friendly

i was never on board for this until i got mkx xl on a whim. it can still feel pretty satisfying.

I would love to play this game with a normal PS4 gamepad, i hate fightsticks and so does pretty much every other casual i'd think.

People just want to pick this game up and do some great stuff and not lock all the cool shit away from casuals, like they do with the Street Fighter games.

But i sure as hell hope it's still deep enough so a Chris G would destroy me and does combos i can only dream of.

Blackage

I mean SFV is probably the most pad friendly fighting game from Capcom.

Negaduck

This is the biggest thing I have an issue with. We need more utility and options not less.

Nothing has been officially announced but removing things (now remaking a character is different than just removing stuff the character had unless it just didn't work with the kit) really kills some of the hype I have.

I'm just going to forget about this game until we get official word later this week... No Bueno so far.

This is just the first change. It's not something that's being done in isolation.

I know, I'm just pointing out that this seems more like a pajama jam with bring your own burlap sack rules for going SCREAMING down the slippery slope towards DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

(not Doctor Doom, but just generalized doom, as in the emotion)

Although the auto-correct counter explanation was a good one as to how this lessens the effectiveness of cross ups

(edit: Harkens' response is a good one, too! Didn't see that while I was writing this)

But I don't know if people are thinking of it so much on those terms as they are "They took away one of the directionals SO STOOOOPID"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom