• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Early in the season, Jessica uses Trish's show to try and find more people who have been affected by Kilgrave, to testify as witnesses. That generates a bunch of people who can do so. But instead of going that route, they form a counseling group. By the time Jessica has Kilgrave tied up in her apartment, she has a small army of people in the city that could testify, including an entire police department.

A few episodes later, she offs Kilgrave, and falls back on a small army of people than can testify on her behalf - including a bunch of cops. There's no reason they couldn't have done that a lot earlier in the season, but she just waited until Hope was dead to do it. It was really contrived, IMO.

I just finished the show last night and I liked it, I have some mixed emotions.

But the biggest
mindblown.png
moment for me was Carrie Ann-Moss keeping
Hope's aborted fetus baby for experimentation to use for Kilgrave's powers.

That was probably one of my biggest issues, the character goes from a standard high power lawyer to suddenly
having connections with human experimentation? Is she part of Hydra or something?

I just finished the show last night and I liked it, I have some mixed emotions.

But the biggest
mindblown.png
moment for me was Carrie Ann-Moss keeping
Hope's aborted fetus baby for experimentation to use for Kilgrave's powers.

That was probably one of my biggest issues, the character goes from a standard high power lawyer to suddenly
having connections with human experimentation? Is she part of Hydra or something?

Simpson's turn was the worst. He goes from a kind-of interesting/understandable character and then is given Roid Rage pills and then becomes a conflict-creation machine. It's a comical turn.

I thought a particularly egregious moment was when the doc was explaining how the pills work.

Simpson: "I need more reds, Doc! C'mon, man!"
Doc: "Our protocol has changed. You take ONE red to go up, this one to go down, this one blah blah blah."
Simpson: *sigh* "Okay."
Doc: "Now, I'm going to leave these bottles, including the ominously-referenced reds, right here next to you, completely unsupervised."
Simpson: "Thanks. I definitely won't take more than the recommended dosage. I am very mentally stable."

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Simpson's turn was the worst. He goes from a kind-of interesting/understandable character and then is given Roid Rage pills and then becomes a conflict-creation machine. It's a comical turn.

I thought a particularly egregious moment was when the doc was explaining how the pills work.

Simpson: "I need more reds, Doc! C'mon, man!"
Doc: "Our protocol has changed. You take ONE red to go up, this one to go down, this one blah blah blah."
Simpson: *sigh* "Okay."
Doc: "Now, I'm going to leave these bottles, including the ominously-referenced reds, right here next to you, completely unsupervised."
Simpson: "Thanks. I definitely won't take more than the recommended dosage. I am very mentally stable."

I got the impression that the doctor knew Simpson would abuse the reds and was using them to draw Simpson into his web so he could make him do his bidding.

Fuchsdh

I got the impression that the doctor knew Simpson would abuse the reds and was using them to draw Simpson into his web so he could make him do his bidding.

We really don't get enough of him to be sure, but if so that's a stupid idea. It's clear there was some incident which made them realize drugged-up dudes overdosing was a Bad Thing. And Simpson obliterates the people the doc sends to fetch him.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I just finished this series and I didn't really care for it. Two things I need cleared up:

1)
The explained that Kilgrave's powers was that it was because of a virus, but that doesn't make any sense. How does hearing someone's voice IMMEDIATELY give you a virus? (Obviously it wouldn't.) And he thought it might work over speakers or something if it got stronger? I would have been happier if they never tried to explain it at all. None of it makes any sense to me.

2)
I still have no idea what Jessica's powers actually are. Is she just really strong?

I swear this place feels like opposite world. Saw this bumped, so I thought I would see some positivity and maybe get me to watch this for a third time, but naw if this Gaf thread was any indicator, this show was shit and even seems that people are making up contrivances. Thank goodness it's getting the recognition it deserves on all the major media.

Korey

Reposting my rant from the other thread because this show is trash.

-----

Context: This was written after watching the episode where Hope got released from jail and Killgrave took her to the restaurant to be exchanged with his dad.

THIS IS THE DUMBEST FUCKING SHOW EVER.

I'm really livid right now at how this show is turning out. It had so much potential.

EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. CHARACTER in this show is fucking dumb. Like they're all fucking idiots. All of them. There's not a single redeemable character that's remotely smart or takes the correct action. Jessica herself is stupid as FUCK. UGGGH.

The only character that had a sliver of promise and had the good judgement to try and kill Killgrave before he inflicts any more damage on the world -- Simpson -- is now some weird secret agent on drugs psycho who just killed an innocent cop. Whatttt theee fuck. UGGGHAGaadjkafhk.

ALSO, NOTE TO JESSICA: HE MAGICALLY CAN'T CONTROL YOU ANYMORE. SINCE APPARENTLY EPISODE ONE. Which, again, means all of this was pointless. And yet SOMEHOW you continue to fail, harder than ever. Why?

HERE'S ANOTHER HINT, DUMBASS: KILL KILLGRAVE. WTF. FUCK YOUR EVIDENCE. How many people have to die before you stop trying to save Hope? By my count, at least 7 so far. How fucking dumb are you? Extremely, apparently.

OH, YOU FINALLY GOT VIDEO EVIDENCE OF HIM AFTER 10 EPISODES? How about you fucking secure that footage. Like TAKE the camera with you and put it somewhere safe? Nah, let's just leave it here unattended. Oh now psycho cop burned everything down. Great payoff for 3 episodes of nothing. Don't get me started on Trish. Or Malcolm.

Or the stupid ass lawyer. HEY, this mind controlling psycho made my client murder both her parents and raped my friend and murdered a bunch of other people. On the other hand, he can make my ex sign my divorce papers. K I'm gonna take a chance on you. Don't let me down!!!!

Basically, they spend a couple of episodes building up towards something and taking action, and then every action they take is immediately negated or rendered useless when they inevitably fail their goal because every character participating is fucking stupid. Even when they ACTUALLY succeed, they fail. This is the only show I've seen that's been able to pull off this fucking amazing feat.

How atrocious is the writing in this show. Good god. I'm praying to every deity that the next episode is the last. Please tell me they haven't renewed this show.

-----

Jessica is honestly the real villain. Because she's a moron.

I wonder how many fucking people died because she wouldn't kill Kilgrave, including the person she was trying to save. Someone should go back and count. Although I wouldn't wish rewatching this show on anyone.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Am I the only one who saw the show and thought all of the character's actions were justified because they were almost all drunk or hopped up on drugs? I figured that one kid being on drugs and betraying Jessica was their way of bluntly saying it - he didn't even need to be under Killgrave's influence to be a mole, he was just turned to a junkie. Almost all of the characters are under an influence and it isn't necessarily Killgrave's. "Jessica that's a dumb plan...like a really dumb plan...but you're probably wasted."

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I just finished this series and I didn't really care for it. Two things I need cleared up:

1)
The explained that Kilgrave's powers was that it was because of a virus, but that doesn't make any sense. How does hearing someone's voice IMMEDIATELY give you a virus? (Obviously it wouldn't.) And he thought it might work over speakers or something if it got stronger? I would have been happier if they never tried to explain it at all. None of it makes any sense to me.

2)
I still have no idea what Jessica's powers actually are. Is she just really strong?

1)Kilgrave's powers being a "virus" is just a fancy way of saying that there's a physical component to it, i.e. he has to be nearby. Hearing him speak does not give you the virus, being within proximity to him does. The working over speakers thing is just that if he's powerful enough to have his effective area a whole building him instructing things over P.A. systems would work perfectly fine.

2) She's just really strong, heals faster than a regular human, is slightly tougher than a regular human, and can jump really high and control her landings. In theory, she can fly, but I doubt they're going to show her flying.

Korey

Am I the only one who saw the show and thought all of the character's actions were justified because they were almost all drunk or hopped up on drugs? I figured that one kid being on drugs and betraying Jessica was their way of bluntly saying it - he didn't even need to be under Killgrave's influence to be a mole, he was just turned to a junkie. Almost all of the characters are under an influence and it isn't necessarily Killgrave's. "Jessica that's a dumb plan...like a really dumb plan...but you're probably wasted."

Trish wasn't. She was just dumb on their own.

And Jessica was rarely drunk.

Or Trinity, who lets a mind controlling serial killer escape to get her ex to sign some divorce papers.

Or the dumb detective who stands around for an hour after Killgrave escapes and everyone leaves without calling backup, then gets killed.

Or post-Killgrave'd Malcolm who can't keep his mouth shut about dead Ruben, leading to Robyn finding out about his brother, leading to yet another Killgrave escape.

https://deadline.com/2016/03/jessic...ecutive-producer-season-2-netflix-1201729664/

Raelle Tucker, who most recently served as executive producer/showrunner on the A&E drama The Returned, has been tapped as an executive producer on the upcoming second season of Netflix’s Marvel drama series Jessica Jones, which is coming off a well received freshman run. She will work alongside creator/executive producer/showrunner Melissa Rosenberg. Tucker is filling a top-level writer void left by the departure of executive producer Liz Friedman who segued to her ABC pilot Conviction.

Jessica Jones won a Peabody Award today.

http://www.peabodyawards.com/stories/story/75th-annual-entertainment-childrens-programming-winners

The Peabody Awards Board of Jurors today announced the Entertainment and Children’s programs that are among this year’s Peabody 30 winners. The 11 honorees, revealed live on NBC’s Today show this morning, range from the reality-show spoof UnREAL to the classical British drama Wolf Hall, from the German spy thriller Deutschland 83 to the family comedy black-ish. The Peabody Awards are based at the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication.

Marvel’s Jessica Jones (Netflix)
Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix

This one part superhero saga, one part neo-noir program asks unpopular questions about power and consent, while constructing vivid and compelling characters. Krysten Ritter helps us to discover the strengths and vulnerability of Jessica, a hard-boiled private detective who has rejected the role of superhero but must still figure out how to overcome the evil that threatens her, her friends and her community.

While this thread is bumped, I didn't want to make an RTTP thread.

I was able to show this and Daredevil to my mom while visiting her place in New Zealand. I have Netflix, she doesn't.

Still a very fun watch. I didn't realize Reyes made an appearance at the end, by the time S2 of Daredevil came out, I had completely forgotten.

I also don't get the whole "It's Jessica's fault Simpson went crazy and so many people died because of her stupidity" argument. Watching it again, Simpson was starting to lie first. He's the one who first wanted to kill Kilgrave and purposefully kept his location to himself. I'm not saying it doesn't drag near the end, but blaming Jessica for everything bad is a little much.

kirblar

While this thread is bumped, I didn't want to make an RTTP thread.

I was able to show this and Daredevil to my mom while visiting her place in New Zealand. I have Netflix, she doesn't.

Still a very fun watch. I didn't realize Reyes made an appearance at the end, by the time S2 of Daredevil came out, I had completely forgotten.

I also don't get the whole "It's Jessica's fault Simpson went crazy and so many people died because of her stupidity" argument. Watching it again, Simpson was starting to lie first. He's the one who first wanted to kill Kilgrave and purposefully kept his location to himself. I'm not saying it doesn't drag near the end, but blaming Jessica for everything bad is a little much.
The thing is though, Simpson is vindicated by the end of the season. He was right, she was wrong, and a lot of people pay the price for it.

The Hobo

Simpson lied because he knew Jessica's plan wasn't going to work and would have not only put more lives at risk but also actually cost people their lives. And that's exactly what happened.

Zocano

Just finished it. Liked it overall.

I hear people say they thought it was too long but I thought the plot points moved too fast around the mid point. I twas a bit slow to start, yah, but I really liked the struggle Jessica had with living with Kilgrave and separately I liked her keeping him trapped. I thought the dealing with her trauma parts were much more interesting than "gotta find him" "oh look Simpsons took super hydra drugs, gotta fight him now". Their weird pseudo-truce was really interesting to watch and then it started jumping from point to point really fast. I liked the more tepid pacing off the first half (even when I was wanting it to pick up slightly).

spekkeh

Banned
I think most people when they say it was too long don't mean it moved too slow, but that it had to introduce weird bends and characters to pad out the last few episodes. Most people would've preferred to actually have Kilgrave more of a looming thread, while Jessica worked some normal cases (i.e. moved slower).

Monocle

I think most people when they say it was too long don't mean it moved too slow, but that it had to introduce weird bends and characters to pad out the last few episodes. Most people would've preferred to actually have Kilgrave more of a looming thread, while Jessica worked some normal cases (i.e. moved slower).
Agreed. Simpson's subplot went off the rails. The whole superdrug thing was lame. The Kilgrave stuff along with Jessica interacting with regular people were the strongest parts of the season. It was a fantastic season much of the time, but it could have been even better if it had focused on the elements that worked best.

eastx

Can someone please confirm the number of times Kilgrave escapes from capture in this show? Is it three, or four?

Top Bottom