• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Corpekata

Banned
Any reason why trish wasn't controlled by Kilgrave at the end of 13?

He had said about how she had to cut her throat if anything were to happen to him. Maybe his powers end once he died or something but they just kind of looked at one another when that sequence was over.

He said he was going to plan it, he didn't actually command it yet. He has to be very specific in his wording for it to work.

Just got through it last night. Really liked it, I can't quite pinpoint the exact reason, but while my sister and I struggled getting through Daredevil, we eagerly flew through episodes of this. A lot of nights we just weren't in the mood for the dark and gritty Daredevil, yet we really wanted to know what happened next with Jessica Jones.

-Funny enough when they revealed the kinky neighbors were, in fact, fraternal twins. My sister and I just stared at each other in disgust when she said "If I treat you like that, smack me." And I said, "Likewise". Yeah, super awkward though.

-People have been talking about Luke and Jessica but not the relationship between Jessica and Trish. The actors had some great chemistry going on. They have to be, by far, the best duo in the whole MCU.

-I wish they didn't kill Kilgrave just so he could pop up later and get a beat down from Luke Cage like the comics. But then I could see it being awkward considering previous episodes.

-Speaking of Luke Cage and Kilgrave, man those last couple of episodes was a heart-wrenching doozy. Just when you think he's forgiven her and love is blossoming between the two.... NOPE! A fabrication by Kilgrave. The fact the series ending leaves you hanging regarding Luke's real feelings just kills me.

-I didn't think much of it, but since it's mentioned above, yeah, Simpson did feel a bit contrived. I could see him being a former Special Ops, but him just so happens to be part of a secret super soldier program. That and how he reports to murder just like that? Yeah, I found it a little hard to swallow.

-Considering all the hubbub before release I was expecting a little more of a crossover than just Claire. She was great here, but I felt like "that's it" not even a little Murdock appearance as Jessica's lawyer or something?

FINISHED.

Liked
The over all tone. The show wasn't afraid to go to some dark places.
Production value is a step up from Daredevil even if its still hilariously cheap in spots.
David Tennant is great in every scene he is in and really steals the show.
The Simpson / Nuke thing caught me by surprise. I should have known that was coming but I totally blanked.

Didnt care for.
Pretty much all of the main characters (good or bad) seeming like insufferable assholes with little to no redeeming qualities.
Both JJ and DD killing off the recurring nice old black guy character near the end of the season.
Killgrave's end is a bit of a anti climax.

Future

Show was alright. Jessica was face to face with killgrave so often it made the final climax pretty weak IMO. Hear she fakes being under his control to get him close, but he was vulnerable soooo many times and it was mainly due to the stupidity of people around her that made her lose every time

Speaking of stupidity... Fucking Simpson man. I suppose he is supposed to represent the anti hero approach, and show why Jessica jones is a real hero. I still have no clue why he killed the cop considering it wouldn't really stop him from killing killgrave. Seemed a little contrived.

Not sure I understood the ear cut flashback. I mean killgrave told her to cut her ear off and it's like he forgot that? I know the point was to show that he was believing she loved him even when not under his control, but it's like he forgot the entire flashback sequence

I still don't understand why earplugs was never a thing. Even at the end where trish had headphones on, I was like ABOUT TIME. At least have someone try it and fail earlier in the season.

Do the comics explain Jessica jones immunity?

cwmartin

IMO show gets worse with each episode. Killgrave is a decent villain, but he's not villainous. He's like an accidental villain.

They never explain why he is obsessed with her, brings the show down.

I ended up rolling my eyes more times than enjoying it in the last few episodes.

Simpson worst character on TV.

IMO show gets worse with each episode. Killgrave is a decent villain, but he's not villainous. He's like an accidental villain.

I ended up rolling my eyes more times than enjoying it in the last few episodes.

C'mon, this is one of the clearest unstated things about the show. She's incredibly hot *and* has superpowers. She was his Best Slave Ever. *And* she walked away, something that will cause a ton of people to obsess.

And Simpson was kinda bad at times, but he's not even the worst character on the show. That's Robyn, followed by her brother.

Luigi87

That's simple, Kilgrave is like a child in that regard, wanting what he can't have. Anything he wants he is capable of taking. After Jessica became free from his control and left him for dead he realized there was someone he couldn't have and that just made him want her more, and more as his obsession snowballed.
Plus her having powers too was beneficial from an advantage point of view, and made Jessica seem like someone that Kilgrave could connect to (from his twisted perspective).

They don't explain it with flashing neon signs, colorful lights, and pretty pictures but it's pretty obvious because Kilgrave says why himself. Like in the show.

Future

Hands down biggest eye roll moment was the support group becoming insta violent after being riled up by a lunatic they never met, and then said lunatic knocking Jessica out longer than anyone else on the series, at the exact moment killgrave happened to be in her apartment for like 1 hour.

I didn't have a problem with killgraves obsession. Wants what he can't have in a world where everyone boringly gives him exactly what he wants ally the time

Clevinger

Honestly, I don't think this show deserves a second season. It felt like the writers were struggling to fill 13 episodes and that was when they had a great villain to use.

Zubz

Banned
I'm kind of late to my party; most of my thoughts have already been covered. It was a great show, the characters were fantastic, the plot was intriguing and often intense, and the cinematography was interesting, in my opinion (Like the auspicious angles that were implied to be from Malcom's perspective). Plus, I appreciated the fact that mental health concerns in a setting like the MCU were actually acknowledged to a slight degree, even if it was mostly just Jessica recalling street names to ground herself when her symptoms of PTSD were becoming unbearable.

However, it wasn't quite to the same level of Daredevil. Only a couple of episodes ended on a note that made me immediately want to watch the next one, and the ending wasn't nearly as strong as the showdown at the end of DD. I guess it makes sense, since Kilgrave's sole goal is to harass Jessica instead of controlling all crime in NYC, but he has flat-out mind control powers; I was expecting something bigger, especially since Fisk's powers boil down to money and muscles by comparison. And I know it's been beaten to death, but some parts of the show were filler. It's like they came up a couple episodes short during the scripting process so a few sub-plots got tacked on to fill time. I'm still up in the air about whether or not Nuke fits the bill, but most of Malcom's story was added late. I don't want to say the show was bad; it most certainly wasn't. But I'll have to echo those here who don't think we should get need a Season 2. Besides, we're still supposed to be building up to the Defenders; if everyone gets a second season, it'll be years before we reach that point.

I'll also agree that Simpson was weak as a character; he had potential, but he was ultimately just that angry Not-Captain America guy. I'm not as harsh toward Robyn, however. Sure, she was explosive and had the least charisma out of any character, but her behaviors line up with someone living with Borderline Personality Disorder. She has bursts of emotions, difficulty establishing positive relationships, paranoia, and nonchalantly using others to her own gain. She implied she was "off her meds" and was diagnosed with something, and BPD just makes sense. Even if she came off as obnoxious, assuming the writers intended for her to have BPD, she's fine. She felt unnecessary near the end, but she at least made the cast more neurologically diverse.

cwmartin

They don't explain it with flashing neon signs, colorful lights, and pretty pictures but it's pretty obvious because Kilgrave says why himself. Like in the show.

Fair enough. I suppose I literally just can't empathize with Kilgrave on that fact, but trying to explain the motives of a fictional villain, or someone who does terrible things is not going to be effective on most people. Can't have Jessica? Okay then, just move the fuck on. I find it would be much more intresting if Kilgrave had an actual motive, and Jessica was thwarting it. All she was thwarting was her own eventuality in the end. Makes the show have 7 to 9 useless episodes.

I will say the overall tone of the show was pretty good. I did not appreciate camera shots that featured half of the door, or closet, or bedroom though.

Fair enough. I suppose I literally just can't empathize with Kilgrave on that fact, but trying to explain the motives of a fictional villain, or someone who does terrible things is not going to be effective on most people. Can't have Jessica? Okay then, just move the fuck on. I find it would be much more intresting if Kilgrave had an actual motive, and Jessica was thwarting it. All she was thwarting was her own eventuality in the end. Makes the show have 7 to 9 useless episodes.

I will say the overall tone of the show was pretty good. I did not appreciate camera shots that featured half of the door, or closet, or bedroom though.

I thought having his motive be Jessica was a refreshing change of pace from the usual plots of comic book stories. The dude already has whatever he wants-- why would he want to take over the world or something? He basically already owns it. And that's the twist with Jessica-- she's the one thing out of his reach, so he obsesses on it. She also left him to die, and she's also "special" like him. It all makes wonderful sense. And it mirrors the kind of real-world abuse that some dangerous men engage in, which gives it more thematic depth than your average superhero story.

Volimar

I really liked it. Netflix is 2/2 on its street level Marvel shows.

Is that Simpson guy and the doctor shoving the pills in the comics?

We need two more seasons so we can get Squirrel Girl as the babysitter.

Fuchsdh

That's simple, Kilgrave is like a child in that regard, wanting what he can't have. Anything he wants he is capable of taking. After Jessica became free from his control and left him for dead he realized there was someone he couldn't have and that just made him want her more, and more as his obsession snowballed.
Plus her having powers too was beneficial from an advantage point of view, and made Jessica seem like someone that Kilgrave could connect to (from his twisted perspective).

Yeah he states right off the bat in one of the flashbacks something along the lines of "you're like me… but I'm better". She was something new and interesting in his life, and then she actually managed to resist him. For the guy who can get everything else that's catnip.

It's why Bill Murray falls for Andie MacDowell in Groundhog Day—he's basically able to bed everyone else except her, no matter how many tries he gets.

Superpowers and because she's the only one that ever said no to him. The guy seemed to be bored getting whatever he wanted so Jessica was an exciting challenge.

A feeling he seemed to conflate with love.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man Hope is badass. She made the call Jessica didn't have the guts to.

10/10 plot device character.

Philippo

Finished Ep5.

I take back what i believed in for 22 years, i don't like women, i only like Kilgrave.

edit: OH SHIT ITS THE SPOILER THREAD BYE EVERYONE

Dice//

Banned
Finished Ep5.

I take back what i believed in for 22 years, i don't like women, i only like Kilgrave.

edit: OH SHIT ITS THE SPOILER THREAD BYE EVERYONE

igo0g2H.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They should not have killed him after one season, he was a big reason why the show was so good. I just finished the finale and I'm way less hyped for season 2 without him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would rather have one complete Kilgrave/JJ story told over a season than one that's spread out thin over 2, maybe even 3 seasons.

Not interested in season 2 either but not every story needs to be continued for 3+ seasons. I don't think this season would benefit from any more time. Quite the contrary, there was a lot of fluff that could've been cut out but if Netflix wants 12 episodes I guess they get 12 episodes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They should not have killed him after one season, he was a big reason why the show was so good. I just finished the finale and I'm way less hyped for season 2 without him.

What season 2?

:3

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, well that makes more sense then. Did it not do well or was one season always planned?

I only gave this show a chance after I learned David Tennant (which give a great performance throughout btw)was involved, and I think once his character was introduced the subject matter of the show really hit home, and the show really became fascinating to me, I do think the majority of the cast was pretty weak, I did love the creepy siblings and the guy playing Luck (so that's promising).

Anyway between this and Daredavil, Netflix seems to be doing a great job in dealing with the Marvel propriety.

Jeels

Kilgrave's acting is some of the best I have seen on TV period. Was happy to see the character die but I am going to miss the actor a lot. :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Kilgrave's acting is some of the best I have seen on TV period. Was happy to see the character die but I am going to miss the actor a lot. :(

Honestly he was up there with Red from The Blacklist and Hannibal from... Hannibal, just able to totally carry the show whenever on screen.

JCreasy

I love seeing this thread bumped, no matter what the reason.

Also, did anyone else here kinda wish Netflix had a Jessica Jones Christmas special?

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Late to the party here too. I finished this show a little before Christmas but didn't think to look for a thread about it here on gaf...

I put off watching it at first. My husband and I aren't the biggest superhero fans (I guess I am more so than him) and I think we both expected something a lot more conventionally in the superhero genre than what Jessica Jones really is. I'd say it's a psychological thriller before it's a superhero show, even, and I've been recommending it to people who are into the former but not the latter.

I really enjoyed the show, despite a few obvious flaws like plot contrivances, certain weak supporting characters, and a disappointing finale. As a woman, I found it really refreshing to see a character like Jessica in the lead. She's fleshed out and layered: complex, strong, loyal, smart, and yes, also flawed. I know a lot of people disliked her character, but she really resonated with me -- enough that I went out and bought her leather jacket and tried to cosplay her for fun :) https://twitter.com/cloudwalking/status/680837760501059584

Kilgrave was great and terrifying. I actually had nightmares about the character, so kudos to the writers for that, because rarely is a villain despicable enough that they end up invading my dreams. I like to think of him as a flip/flop character, haha, because while watching I was constantly changing my opinion and having conflicting thoughts about him (which was obviously intentional). Thought process all like, holy shit, this guy is sadistic, but then should I feel sorry for him here? And here he's kinda trying to be good, hmm, but he's terrible, and oh no he's killing people again...

I liked the dark tone of the show, and the way it touches on social issues (especially pertaining to women) like abuse, stalking, rape, and abortion without being preachy or hitting you over the head with them. I won't go too much into that because there's been a multitude of articles and posts that go over it better than I ever could. I'll just say I found it notable that the darker scenes were so serious and so well acted that they actually left a lump in my throat (e.g. Hope's pregnancy revelation, Jessica explaining to Kilgrave that he raped her). I wouldn't imagine that's par for the course in shows about people with super strength and mind control powers...

All in all a great show and I wish there was more to watch :(

Jonm1010

Banned
Just finished the show.

Initial thoughts are this is the best thing I have seen Marvel produce.

With that said it wasnt flawless. The group subplot and the twin sister neighbor became a huge anchor bringing down the momentum of the show toward the end. Also was where the show felt its most contrived.

The final confrontation was also a bit of a let down. Mostly because Kilgrave may be the best villain I have seen since the Joker and the final battle was only so so. All in all I am hopeful and worried about a second season....If we get a second season. Which would be a huge shame if they don't. But if they do, how do you actually top the power of this villain? Or Jessica's journey? Without Kilgrave it feels like it is destined to end up second place to this season. And also risks just being another super hero show.

This was a show that had so much more to offer then the typical Marvel tropes due to the relationship between Jessica and Kilgrave and because of it I am kinda less enthusiastic for the next ones on the list Marvel is aiming to churn out and even less so the Defenders.

I am almost depressed this is getting stuck in Marvel's machine because a 2-3 season series about Jessica Jones, Kilgrave and Luke Cage sounds like an incredible dynamic to play around with. I could honestly give a fuck less about the whole Defenders/Avengers masturbatory fan service Marvel likes to build toward.

mm04

Honestly he was up there with Red from The Blacklist and Hannibal from... Hannibal, just able to totally carry the show whenever on screen.

Yep, David Tennant was great in this. I still can't believe how they absolutely wasted him in HP: Goblet of Fire, just watched that again this weekend.

UrokeJoe

Unfortunately, outside of Defenders, it may not happen any time soon.

Which is a shame because Marvel has the best thing they have produced to date and they are sidelining it.

It is, because I'll admit, I'm pretty casual. There are so many shows to watch nowadays, but this one caught me... that say's something, because most don't.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Unfortunately, outside of Defenders, it may not happen any time soon.

Which is a shame because Marvel has the best thing they have produced to date and they are sidelining it.

Eh, they said the same thing about DD S1 at the time.

They're probably just working with Netflix on when the best time for JJ to return is. I have no doubts it'll get an S2 in 2016.

How would they successfully continue this show? The key part to this season was Kilgrave's character and now that he's gone where would they even take it? Jessica doesn't have many other important rogue's as far as I know. They also trimmed down the cast and put some side characters in places I honestly don't see them moving much from.

DeathyBoy

Banned
How would they successfully continue this show? The key part to this season was Kilgrave's character and now that he's gone where would they even take it? Jessica doesn't have many other important rogue's as far as I know. They also trimmed down the cast and put some side characters in places I honestly don't see them moving much from.

Nuke, IGF, just grab another characters Rogue.

Just finished the show. It was good, but I was left let down by the missed potential.

The series starts really strong, but they soon lose track. Killgrave is "neutralized" very soon, first by that drug (which doesn't even make sense to nullify his powers right away), and them by them making clear that Jessica is now imune. The threat of him psychological terror he had going with Jessica was awesome, and after that you simply stop worrying for her. They making Jessica weaker when they saw fit to fix the plot was very off putting too.

And the side stories. They pretty much ended each sideline abruptly by killing the main character of that sideline... It just felt so forced.

And unlike others, I though the Killgrave character a bit lame. The actor was very good indeed, but they made Killgrave basically a man child that doesn't to be a bad guy, but just don't know how to be good. I was like: Really? Not to mention he constantly trying to break Jessica and failing during the last bits takes a lot from his threat as well. By the time he got super powerful (was he really, though? They didn't even take the time to develop the extent of his new powers) he had failed so many times and the lack of build up made the last scene completely stupid, I not even for one second believed Jessica was under his control, because the show gave nothing to support that theory.

They definitely should have take an extra season to develop this plot. Even the side ones like the divorce or the abused group could be something other than a waste of time, and they could end the season with a big loss on Jessica's side, reinforcing the threat that Killgrave is.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah I don't know what is cannon because I have never followed the comics but I echo the sentiment that while I really want a season 2, I am not sure how you live up to this dynamic of Jones/Kilgrave.

The military guy doesnt look very threatening and seems very cookie cutter villain. Plus I'm not sure what it lends to further developing Jones other then the typical super hero ascension. Or how it plays to the strengths of the show which is the mystery, detective stuff and interpersonal relation between Kilgrave/Jones/Cage.

I also agree that the second half started to weaken and I think on reflection the neutering of Kilgrave has a lot to do with that. Both from a skill set point of view and relationship wise. It really kills the tension and the ramping back up wasnt really executed very well IMO.

Frankly it just seemed like a winding down of this incredible hero/vilain dynamic they built up the first half that missed out on a lot of opportunities in the second half and probably ended it too soon.

Top Bottom