• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Shaanyboi

Banned
After finishing JJ I feel incredibly sorry for Simpson. Everything that happened to him after Killgrave was due to Jessica's terrible plans and decisions. He had the opportunity to kill Killgrave twice, but Jessica stopped him both times, each time getting more ludicrous than the last. He only goes psycho because him and his best friends got blown up because Jesica stopped him from making the right decision. He would have never called the doctor and never got his crazy super soldier pills if Jessica didn't keep screwing him over time and again. And Jessica deciding to go with the plan that he could have executed 5 episodes before was a slap in the face.

He was going to blow up the house with captives inside. It was a shit plan.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
nuke-comics.jpg

Cant wait for Defenders

Makonero

Anyone else slightly disappointed that Kilgrave didn't go full purple? I was hoping that last injection would have at least made his skin lavender or something.

Ophelion

Anyone else slightly disappointed that Kilgrave didn't go full purple? I was hoping that last injection would have at least made his skin lavender or something.

It wasn't until the rewatch that I noticed his veins retain the purple tinge when using his powers after getting the last injection. Kind of a nice touch, even if I would've preferred it if he'd got the full Purple Man. Especially if they were just going to kill him off a handful of scenes later.

Makonero

It wasn't until the rewatch that I noticed his veins retain the purple tinge when using his powers after getting the last injection. Kind of a nice touch, even if I would've preferred it if he'd got the full Purple Man. Especially if they were just going to kill him off a handful of scenes later.

Yeah, then at least the newspapers would say JESSICA JONES KILLS PURPLE MAN since no one in the press would know his name. That would have been a nice touch. Oh well.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Somebody really needs to take care about the boys :( The liberal medias are always against them :-/

I know, right? Now give me a red.

I for one loved Simpson's descent into batshit territory. One of the few times I got swerved, hard, because I thought he'd be a one and done character and the more he came back j was baffled until they did the "red" line.

And if The Defenders has Kingpin making an army of powered street villains..,

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I for one loved Simpson's descent into batshit territory. One of the few times I got swerved, hard, because I thought he'd be a one and done character and the more he came back j was baffled until they did the "red" line.

Thats why I was completly OK with Simpson going apeshit. Fits Nuke perfectly and is the reason why I love this character.

Sober

I'm kind of glad they didn't do that. If anything I was worried they might do something like that and ruin the whole thing if you were gonna make Kilgrave 'more than human' for the lack of a better term.

towards the later half Tennant was the one who made this show bearable, really hope he is not dead and gets put in the Thunderbolts.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it, enjoyed Daredevil more but Jessica Jones managed to give the supporting cast much more to do.

Ricker

Finished this morning...enjoyed it,loved the Daredevil wink on the last episode...took me a few minutes to realise she was the same nurse as in Daredevil but wasnt sure it was an actual tie-in lol,but when they got to Jessica's appartment and talked about it,it was great...I guess a door is definetly open to have them in a few episodes together in either series in the future...hoping for a season 2 of JJ.

aasoncott

I've let it simmer for a few days, and I still think the show is probably the best thing Marvel has done since the first Iron Man movie. Had a few minor hiccups (WE WROTE OURSELVES INTO A CORNER BUT KILGRAVE NEEDS TO ESCAPE, QUICK TURN THE SUPPORT GROUP AGAINST HER), but thought it was Marvel's most compelling villain and one of their stronger stories.

Very interesting to see so much "Daredevil was better" in here, though. I couldn't even finish Daredevil -- gave up about 2/3 of the way through the season and watched the rest over my partner's shoulder. I thought Jessica Jones was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Ophelion

Very interesting to see so much "Daredevil was better" in here, though. I couldn't even finish Daredevil -- gave up about 2/3 of the way through the season and watched the rest over my partner's shoulder. I thought Jessica Jones was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Think it's about what you want in a show. If what you're looking for is a superhero show, well Jessica Jones is about the worst superhero show of all time. Because it isn't one. I could see someone who was just in it for some light entertainment and some good fights would come out disappointed because Jessica Jones is very noirish: slow paced, moody, obsessed with the way all these broken people keep hurting each other. I think that stuff is fan fucking tastic, but I could easily see how someone drawn in by the more frantic, kinetic and much more traditionally superheroic Daredevil might not agree.

Mirakuru!

aasoncott

Think it's about what you want in a show. If what you're looking for is a superhero show, well Jessica Jones is about the worst superhero show of all time. Because it isn't one. I could see someone who was just in it for some light entertainment and some good fights would come out disappointed because Jessica Jones is very noirish: slow paced, moody, obsessed with the way all these broken people keep hurting each other. I think that stuff is fan fucking tastic, but I could easily see how someone drawn in by the more frantic, kinetic and much more traditionally superheroic Daredevil might not agree.

You're right. Jessica Jones went out of its way to avoid or make fun of the campier aspects of the genre, like making fun of costumes or Kilgrave's name (which was a great running joke). Motivations were complex. The "Purple Man" is a great example--"Killgrave" is such a ridiculous name that they made that his alias, and even then toned it down by removing an "l". And still made fun of it.

Daredevil, on the other hand, had costumes, ninjas, and a villain whose motivation was that he gets really angry. It embraced the larger universe and all its tropes and absurdities. I guess if you like those aspects of the genre, it probably scratched an itch in a way Jessica didn't.

I think that's the reason I've liked the MCU less and less as time goes on. At first, they told relatively self-contained stories, and treated the larger lore almost as though it was a joke (like Jackson showing up at the end of each movie--it felt like it was a running gag, rather than something serious). As time goes on, though, Marvel has started treating the larger lore like it's their greatest asset, when I think it's Marvel's biggest weakness. That early on, they were making some great movies despite the source material. They took the best elements and used them as a jumping-off point, and the more lore they brought in the worse things got.

Jessica Jones just hit all the right notes for me. Great characters, a great plot, and some great writing, and sacrificed what it needed to in order to make that happen (well, sacrificed everything except Simpson).

Real abusers aren't easily identifiable. So he wouldn't be either.

Ophelion

You're right. Jessica Jones went out of its way to avoid or make fun of the campier aspects of the genre, like making fun of costumes or Kilgrave's name (which was a great running joke). Motivations were complex. The "Purple Man" is a great example--"Killgrave" is such a ridiculous name that they made that his alias, and even then toned it down by removing an "l". And still made fun of it.

Daredevil, on the other hand, had costumes, ninjas, and a villain whose motivation was that he gets really angry. It embraced the larger universe and all its tropes and absurdities. I guess if you like those aspects of the genre, it probably scratched an itch in a way Jessica didn't.

I think that's the reason I've liked the MCU less and less as time goes on. At first, they told relatively self-contained stories, and treated the larger lore almost as though it was a joke (like Jackson showing up at the end of each movie--it felt like it was a running gag, rather than something serious). As time goes on, though, Marvel has started treating the larger lore like it's their greatest asset, when I think it's Marvel's biggest weakness. That early on, they were making some great movies despite the source material. They took the best elements and used them as a jumping-off point, and the more lore they brought in the worse things got.

Jessica Jones just hit all the right notes for me. Great characters, a great plot, and some great writing, and sacrificed what it needed to in order to make that happen (well, sacrificed everything except Simpson).

I'm not looking forward to the day when I finally OD on superhero shit. I love those dumb, four-color twits. But I used to love zombie stories once upon a time too. And as Marvel and DC ramp up into the stratosphere, it feels like it's inevitable.

PK Gaming

Just finished this up

-Jessica's growth from wishy washy angsty "hero" ("We HAVE to save Hope Shlottman") to a hardened hero was pretty fantastic.
-Kilgrave is the single best marvel character ever. David Tenant nailed it, and while it was satisfying to see him finally go down, i'm also filled with an immense sadness.
-Episode 8 was the best episode
-Claire was great here. I can't get enough of her "simple character caught up complex situations" routine.
-So...Simpson and his buddies as the S2 baddies?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just finished this up

-Jessica's growth from wishy washy angsty "hero" ("We HAVE to save Hope Shlottman") to a hardened hero was pretty fantastic.
-Kilgrave is the single best marvel character ever. David Tenant nailed it, and while it was satisfying to see him finally go down, i'm also filled with an immense sadness.
-Episode 8 was the best episode
-Claire was great here. I can't get enough of her "simple character caught up complex situations" routine.
-So...Simpson and his buddies as the S2 baddies?

Very likely. I wonder if they'll tie in at all to Luke Cage, but that may be stretching things.

When that plan failed, he had a tactical Spec-Ops team waiting outside of Killgraves house to shoot him in the face, but Jessica didn't let him do that either.

And then he was approached and blown up with the bomb he shouldn't have planted in the first place. Jessica needed Kilgrave to exonerate Hope - that was the point of the whole damn thing. Even as long as there was evidence that Kilgrave was at fault, even if he never made it to court, as long as Hope was free, she was saving a fellow victim of Kilgrave. But Simpson, even pre-Nuke Simpson, was too dead set on revenge that he didn't care who paid the price along the way.

Chase17

I can't believe the crazy neighbor caused the support group to go straight into riot mode against Jessica. I thought they were just going to demand some answers but they were violent.

Anyways, I liked the show a lot even if it dragged a bit towards the end.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It may have been very likely a few weeks ago but in light of the general reaction to the Nuke subplot, I could see the producers changing their mind.

General reaction from who? Gaf reactions are often so different from those I hear from everyone else I know. From people I've talked to, those who didn't know who the character was, they all seemed to have the same feeling of "OH SHIT, HE'S A BAD GUY?!" but no one I know was reacting like "Ugh, this subplot is trash."

General reaction from who? Gaf reactions are often so different from those I hear from everyone else I know. From people I've talked to, those who didn't know who the character was, they all seemed to have the same feeling of "OH SHIT, HE'S A BAD GUY?!" but no one I know was reacting like "Ugh, this subplot is trash."

I've heard the complaint outside of GAF.

Personally, I think the basic idea was fine but the way it was implemented was incredibly contrived. First, a random street cop sent by Kilgrave just so happens to be an elite member of a supersoldier program. Then, Simpson's handler denies his request for another red pill, only to leave him alone with all the red pills...

I hope they can salvage the character because there was some good there, including Wil Traval's performance.

Just finished it. Thought it was quite good. I got fanboy tingles I didn't know i had when I realised Simpson was Nuke. They didm't play up his patriotism though, so they may not go the flag-face route with him. Too bad, it's a cool look.

Luke was well cast, though his voce was always a bit deeper/boomier in my head.

The neighbour characters were supposed to ground her/make her more relatable, but I mostly found them dumb and annoying and I don't get why she didn't kick Malcolm out of her life once it became obvious he couldn't keep his mouth shut. I was pleasantly surmised when the male twin offed himself, kinda disappointed the female made it through.

Jessica needed Kilgrave to exonerate Hope - that was the point of the whole damn thing. Even as long as there was evidence that Kilgrave was at fault, even if he never made it to court, as long as Hope was free, she was saving a fellow victim of Kilgrave. But Simpson, even pre-Nuke Simpson, was too dead set on revenge that he didn't care who paid the price along the way.

In all fairness, her plan to exonerate hope was the dumbest thing in the series.Jessica had good intentions, but it was clear her and the producers had no idea what to do once Kilgrave was captured. Using a tape that depicts a superhuman throwing around a small British man in a cage to make him say a specific order while handcuffing a cop(in order to use him as a witness) was the most pointless and dumb thing in the entire series.

I thought it was clear he rejoined the program, stole the pills and quickly ran off, which is why they were after him.

That is beside the point I was making so I'm not sure why you're telling me this.

Let's try this again. A doctor denies a patient's request for extra doses of an addictive drug then immediately leaves them alone with vast quantities of said drug. It's contrived writing because it moves the plot forward at the expense of logic.

That is beside the point I was making so I'm not sure why you're telling me this.

Let's try this again. A doctor denies a patient's request for extra doses of an addictive drug then immediately leaves them alone with vast quantities of said drug. It's contrived writing because it moves the plot forward at the expense of logic.

Because Kozlov is obviously not the type of doctor whose primary motivation is his patients' overall health. The equation would change if someone is in the program compared to someone who's left it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In all fairness, her plan to exonerate hope was the dumbest thing in the series.Jessica had good intentions, but it was clear her and the producers had no idea what to do once Kilgrave was captured. Using a tape that depicts a superhuman throwing around a small British man in a cage to make him say a specific order while handcuffing a cop(in order to use him as a witness) was the most pointless and dumb thing in the entire series.
Keep in mind this is a universe where a man turns into a green giant. I assume at least showing the existence of the powers would have been enough... but I still find it absurd that they wouldn't believe that a mindcontroller could exist in the first place. lol

Because Kozlov is obviously not the type of doctor whose primary motivation is his patients' overall health.

Again, that is beside the point. Kozlov would not care about his patient's health but he would definitely care about a loose canon who represents a threat to the whole program.

The audience could see Simpson taking the meds a mile away so why couldn't the doctor? Because the writers didn't want him to. That's the only reason.

It worked, though, didn't it? Everybody present, cop included, became convinced of his powers, and they were in the end caught on tape, which is probably enough in a universe where aliens invaded and the Avengers stopped them. It was a poor plan but after some additional prodding it panned out and did what it needed to, but then backfired in a completely different way with his escape and the later death of the cop.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Again, that is beside the point. Kozlov would not care about his patient's health but he would definitely care about a loose canon who represents a threat to the whole program.

The audience could see Simpson taking the meds a mile away so why couldn't the doctor? Because the writers didn't want him to. That's the only reason.

BUT HIS BOYS, WHAT ABOUT HIS BOYS?

Ophelion

There's one point where Malcom mentions there not being elves in the real world either.

Made me think immediately of The Dark World.

I hate to break this to you, Malcom buuuuuuuuut.......

thor2-NewMalekithPoster_t.jpg

Pretty sure that's an elf. Pretty sure Thor beat the snot out of him in London just a couple years back. The world you live in is fucked, my friend. Just assume everything is real, you'll be better off.

Pachimari

Seems like the EP of Jessica Jones is unsure herself as for a second season, because Marvel and Netflix have a lot on their plates. Especially with Daredevil S2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders:

"I’d love that. Me, personally – I’m ready to go," regarding a second season. She continued, "Marvel has a lot going on. So does Netflix. So I don’t know if a second season fits into this schedule, when, whether or not we’ll get one. I don’t know any of that. I personally, I’m ready to jump in now. I’ve had some time off. I needed some time off! It was a really hard run."

But it's good to know that she's ready to go and fired up about Jessica Jones. She probably won't have any control over the character for the Defenders show though, but she trust Krysten Ritter will protect the character.

"What I have is Krysten Ritter, and she and I are on exactly the same page with this character. And that is a women that will not do something that violates the character in any way. So if I have nothing to do with it, I trust that she’s going to be the protector of the character."

Source: Variety

kiguel182

Finally finished it.

I think I enjoyed it more than Daredevil. While Daredevil started stronger it got weaker by the end. JJ is the opposite and the last episodes were really good. Also felt the show's themes of abuse where well handed, specially with how Killgrave was in denial and didn't realize how awful he was. Really scary villain that felt he was justified in doing those awful things up until the end.

The ending was also really strong, those finale moments were stellar. The whole Luke Cage stuff was well handed and the two actors had good chemistry.

The only faults I see lie with some of the fight sequences and effects, Daredevil was stronger in that part. Also the subplot with the laywer took too much time. I didn't feel the eventual pay off earned so much time spent on it and was a little too predictable. It was interesting but felt flat.

But, overall, I really liked it. Fantastic villain, great heroes and strong side characters. Some of the sequences with Killgrave were amazingly down.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I enojyed it. Two episodes were a heavy drop in quality, almost enough to turn off the show entirely, but I'm glad I stuck to it. Such a shame Kilgrave got killed. Wouldn't mind seeing him again in the future.

The only faults I see lie with some of the fight sequences and effects, Daredevil was stronger in that par

I felt like that played into the two characters and the way they fight - he's a true martial artist, she's pure strength. But I loved them both in different ways, excellent stuff. Way better than the films.

hermit7

Any reason why trish wasn't controlled by Kilgrave at the end of 13?

He had said about how she had to cut her throat if anything were to happen to him. Maybe his powers end once he died or something but they just kind of looked at one another when that sequence was over.

Top Bottom