• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

So is Simpson taking a form of the Super Soldier Serum? And is he suppose to be Nuke from the comics?

Yeah, I was a little curious on his identity. Maybe it'll be revealed in season 2.

I wasn't a fan of JJ Season 1. Felt like it was too long and drawn out. Could've easily been told in 6-8 episodes. Some of the plot just seemed incomprehensible or just stupid. Didn't like the P.I. Like soundtrack. And found both the protagonist and antagonist the most reprehensible characters.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Okay. One episode to go.

I LOVE this show. I think it's exploring some of the smartest superhero things of recent memory...

but goddamn is the plotting brain dead stupid at the same time.

Am I the only one that likes Karen? -_- I thought she was sympathetic even though she kept fucking up a lot. Also what a beaut that woman is. <3 Not sure I agree with the general sentiment that DD had much filler towards the latter half. I dug it all. JJ's second half on the other hand is just padded with unnecessary shit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Am I the only one that likes Karen? -_- I thought she was sympathetic even though she kept fucking up a lot. Also what a beaut that woman is. <3 Not sure I agree with the general sentiment that DD had much filler towards the latter half. I dug it all. JJ's second half on the other hand is just padded with unnecessary shit.

For what it's worth. Everyone I know IRL likes Karen. A real survivor.

It's not like every character on the show didn't make idiotic decisions.

I just finished it and absolutely loved. I wonder if IGH will be the focus of season 2( I think it'll get announced)? Or maybe The Defenders miniseries?

Fisk found out because his mom remembered having visitors and shit. I forgot how exactly he found out it was urich but it was indeed Karen's fault. She's the one who tricked Ben into going there and he didn't have a chance to back out because he didn't know what was going on until they were already in mother fisk's room.

Ben Urich dying was the worse part of daredevil. it just made no sense for him to go out like that. *sigh*. What a waste of a good side character.

Honestly the more I think about Jessica jones the more I dislike the show. I want so much for all the netflix shows to be awesome but I just didn't feel that way about it.

I still hope they get good enough ratings to have a season 2 though. It was all that bad and shows can be redeemed.
there was a scene were kingpin is trying to talk to his mother to figure out who visited her but she kept forgetting the conversation out of old age. "Such a beautiful day isn't it" so I don't think kingpin found anything out from her.

That being said, I'm pretty sure jj was critically acclaimed and will be renewed for a second season, but not until after the first of the defenders.

Wesley was a bad guy and had it coming.

Ben was good, and he wanted out to take care of his ailing wife.

Their deaths were equally impactful to me.
agreed. Wesley was evil but I liked the character still.

Dysun

Krysten Ritter was the best part of the show, but it definitely loses its edge in the second half

Nuke, Hogarth, and Robyn were all misfires

Nowhere near as entertaining as Daredevil in the end, but still a good watch

there was a scene were kingpin is trying to talk to his mother to figure out who visited her but she kept forgetting the conversation out of old age. "Such a beautiful day isn't it" so I don't think kingpin found anything out from her.

That being said, I'm pretty sure jj was critically acclaimed and will be renewed for a second season, but not until after the first of the defenders.

agreed. Wesley was evil but I liked the character still.

JJ has already been renewed but you're right it prob won't happen till after Defenders

Edit: My mistake it hasn't been yet

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Sorry if this has been discussed, just jumpin in here after finishing the show. But at the end Jess said Trish had an "Iron Will," am I nuts or is it a sly hint that they're gonna gender-bend Iron Fist and make it her?

Sorry if this has been discussed, just jumpin in here after finishing the show. But at the end Jess said Trish had an "Iron Will," am I nuts or is it a sly hint that they're gonna gender-bend Iron Fist and make it her?
trish is already supposed to be hellcat though. at least that's what i thought.

I had no interest in Jessica Jones before it aired, then let myself get suckered in by the trailers and Tennant. I wish I didn't get hopes up because this show had awful writing, awful acting, and felt cheap as shit in a CBS/CW kind of way. I tried so much to like JJ. I wanted to quit after 2 episodes but kept going. It got a lot better, but went from terrible to okay back to terrible. Bah...I'm so bummed at the quality of this show. And I feel like it thinks it was smart and talking about taboo topics....but it really wasn't. Well, not in a smart way, anywho.

Just finished it. Show started really strong but around episode 8-9 wend downwards. Not bad but certainly nothing really impressed me after that and I found many things really stupid and unnecessary. And the finale with Kilgrave didn't make much sense, I mean what really convinced him that he had control of her? She could as well fake it. And he could at least have ordered Trish to harm her if anything happened to him.. Anyway I really enjoyed, I just think there wasn't much reason behind a lot of things and that many other were really random.
Because the writers wanted him to be convinced. The show never really earned much of what it projected onscreen. Characters did what the writers wanted them to do, and how they get there isn't always the most sensical. I was more bummed that before the show even aired I said "I hope this doesn't end like Dracula, with Kilgrave thinking he has control of Jessica...gets up close...and gets put down." I shit you not. And it happened.

Eh, I think 13 episodes is a bit much. Both Daredevil and JJ would've been better served with just 10 hours, I think.

Agreed.

I think JJ had three episodes which were mostly filler, and two of them came late in the season.

Just dropping in here for the first time, and saying that I think this was a solid step above Daredevil, and the best Superhero show on TV. Not without a few problems, but really went deeper than anything else. And apart from Upstairs Apartment Lady, solid-to-great acting all around. Jess and Kilgrave were great.

Just finished it. Show started really strong but around episode 8-9 wend downwards. Not bad but certainly nothing really impressed me after that and I found many things really stupid and unnecessary. And the finale with Kilgrave didn't make much sense, I mean what really convinced him that he had control of her? She could as well fake it. And he could at least have ordered Trish to harm her if anything happened to him.. Anyway I really enjoyed, I just think there wasn't much reason behind a lot of things and that many other were really random.

What convinced him was seeing Jessica cry at his control of Trish, and yet not move to stop him. Completely worked for me. He told her "stop" and then starts abusing Trish, and buys it when she stays still. It's also a bit of Devil's Candy, too. He desperately *wanted* to believe he had control of her again, and so as soon as he thought he had evidence that he did, he jumped.

This is in the context of him being so impatient and unhinged that he took his dad's serum even though it might kill him. Once he's been kidnapped *twice* he has totally lost his shit about being so careful. Hell, the huge number of officers he controlled in the beginning of the scene is already more risk than he would have taken earlier in the season.

What convinced him was seeing Jessica cry at his control of Trish, and yet not move to stop him. Completely worked for me. He told her "stop" and then starts abusing Trish, and buys it when she stays still. It's also a bit of Devil's Candy, too. He desperately *wanted* to believe he had control of her again, and so as soon as he thought he had evidence that he did, he jumped.

This is in the context of him being so impatient and unhinged that he took his dad's serum even though it might kill him. Once he's been kidnapped *twice* he has totally lost his shit about being so careful. Hell, the huge number of officers he controlled in the beginning of the scene is already more risk than he would have taken earlier in the season.

Excellent explanation. Pretty much sums up what happened there. I think it worked very well.

So what show is next? Luke Cage or Daredevil season 2?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Last 2-3 episodes fizzled out, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. Daredevil is still king, however, and the best thing Marvel's done yet.

Pachimari

You're just nuts.

trish is already supposed to be hellcat though. at least that's what i thought.
No. Trish is not Hellcat. She is on her way to becoming her maybe, but she is definitely not Hellcat in season one.

Am I the only one that likes Karen? -_- I thought she was sympathetic even though she kept fucking up a lot. Also what a beaut that woman is.
You're not alone. I like Karen, and she's probably my favorite woman in the MCU.

FartOfWar

Banned
Mom and pop just happen to be hiding out in a hotel in the same city. They agree to get in the cage with Kilgrave. Afterwards, pop remembers he just happens to have a full-fledged lab in said hotel and, oh yeah, he can also whip up a vaccine even though he's a neurologist and saw no reason to do so until now. The show has been good so far why is it going full marvel crap comic book now?

I am very pumped for Luke Cage now.

Daredevil a little less so, since I fear a Sophomore Slump and the fact that they hadn't planned it initially.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Mom and pop just happen to be hiding out in a hotel in the same city. They agree to get in the cage with Kilgrave. Afterwards, pop remembers he just happens to have a full-fledged lab in said hotel and, oh yeah, he can also whip up a vaccine even though he's a neurologist and saw no reason to do so until now. The show has been good so far why is it going full marvel crap comic book now?

Just wait until the next episode, or maybe the one after.

I can agree a bit about the last part, that he so badly wanted to believe. But the tear? That was pretty cheesy. And I wish they did a better job of hiding from the audience, because it still seemed obvious he wasn't controlling her.

Daredevil a little less so, since I fear a Sophomore Slump and the fact that they hadn't planned it initially.
I know nothing about Luke Cage, but he was good enough in Jessica Jones that I'm excited to see what they do with him. I don't want to google and ruin anything, but I'm dying to know how any villain can put up a fight with him.

fader

yea me too. I feel Luke is a little too serious but whatever I still liked him. and excited for Misty Knight!

I can agree a bit about the last part, that he so badly wanted to believe. But the tear? That was pretty cheesy. And I wish they did a better job of hiding from the audience, because it still seemed obvious he wasn't controlling her.

Well, the fact that there was 5 minutes left in the season finale was a bit of a tip-off, too. I personally wasn't completely sure, even if I thought that was going on.

The tear? Jessica doesn't cry for other people, she gets mad. That's what convinced him.

Finished it. My early thoughts remained the same. They made a mistake focusing 100% on the purple man. That can't sustain 13 episodes. Either cut it down or oh I don't know break it up with other cases.

This was a marked step down from daredevil. So many side characters that were just too poor (lawyer, neighbor siblings , Patsy's mom, etc) and b stories that should have been ignored (lawyer divorce). Then you have the ness of Ep 10. Where basically every character goes completely dumb just so they could get the season to episode 13. Also I would have liked a little more balance in tone. Even daredevil which gets dark often had more levity than this. So did the original source material. I like the Luke cage casting but again he's soooooo serious if Danny isn't a live wire that'll be the dullest heroes for hire pair ever.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've never read any of the comics. I had no clue what this was about before watching the episodes. I only really watched it because I knew David Tennant would be in it. Must say that I really enjoyed watching it and can't wait for the next season.

Zabka

He needed someone who was immune to make the vaccine.

And they came to the city because they heard about the Kilgrave survivors group.

I've never read any of the comics. I had no clue what this was about before watching the episodes. I only really watched it because I knew David Tennant would be in it. Must say that I really enjoyed watching it and can't wait for the next season.

He told you to say that, didn't he?

He always saw a reason to make a vaccine. He didn't have the means to attempt the vaccine until he found out Jessica was immune. Then he got samples from Jessica to work on. That was the thing that changed.

Can someone tell me what was so wrong with Episode 10?
My reasons probably are a bit different from others, but the Jeri-Wendy-Pam triangle was a pretty awful waste of time to me, and logic would say the only reason for it is for the emotional impact when one of them surely kills the other. Then finally...one of them killed the other.

The problem with a villain that has mind control is that we immediately can come up with a laundry list of all the scenarios that can happen with mind control---that we've seen a billion times before. Before Jessica Jones aired I was constantly saying that they're going to have to be really great writers to make one of the worst villain powers good. And I had faith. Sadly, the writing was poor all over. And Kilgrave did nothing surprising.

I didn't think this thread was gonna be filled with Daredevil spoilers as well.. :(

Guess I should've watched it by now.

Loved JJ though.

Poyunch

Yeah every so often I'd pop in the JJ threads while watching (mainly to see if more people were hating on the female twin because I needed vindication in my seething hatred of her) and Episode 10 would always be mentioned.

Tbh it felt the same as the other episodes to me. Maybe not as good as the better episodes but par for the course with the other episodes.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Agreed.

I think JJ had three episodes which were mostly filler, and two of them came late in the season.

Just dropping in here for the first time, and saying that I think this was a solid step above Daredevil, and the best Superhero show on TV. Not without a few problems, but really went deeper than anything else. And apart from Upstairs Apartment Lady, solid-to-great acting all around. Jess and Kilgrave were great.

I agree.

The show has some REALLY stupid shit in it, but overrall it felt like it had smarter themes and more mature goals than anything else in the genre.
Hopefully with a second season they will do a better job at achieving those things, but in the meantime it was refreshing enough for me to forgive.

He always saw a reason to make a vaccine. He didn't have the means to attempt the vaccine until he found out Jessica was immune. Then he got samples from Jessica to work on. That was the thing that changed.
they also never explained how jessica became immune. unless I missed something.

I had no interest in Jessica Jones before it aired, then let myself get suckered in by the trailers and Tennant. I wish I didn't get hopes up because this show had awful writing, awful acting, and felt cheap as shit in a CBS/CW kind of way. I tried so much to like JJ. I wanted to quit after 2 episodes but kept going. It got a lot better, but went from terrible to okay back to terrible. Bah...I'm so bummed at the quality of this show. And I feel like it thinks it was smart and talking about taboo topics....but it really wasn't. Well, not in a smart way, anywho.
This is my opinion. I respect what it was doing with using superheroes to talk about abuse, PTSD, and consent, and it gets fun once Kilgrave goes all in, but it was almost sub-CW quality in direction, writing, effects, and acting. It seems like it's trying to be for adults but is really made for pre-teens.

kiri

Finally finished the series and enjoyed the noir-like vibes and soundtrack.

But can anyone tell me what the hell was up with all those EXIT signs?!?

Kain

Oh what the fuck, why kill Kilgrave? He is probably the best bad guy Marvel studios have created up to this point and they kill him? Bullshit.

Kingpin has the potential to become great, but his story in DD was mostly his rise to evilness, Kilgrave was full on evil and the biggest bastard ever. Marvel people cannot handle their bad guys for shit.

PS: Also the directing and overall quality of the show hasn't been good, as some people have already pointed out.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oh what the fuck, why kill Kilgrave? He is probably the best bad guy Marvel studios have created up to this point and they kill him? Bullshit.

Kingpin has the potential to become great, but his story in DD was mostly his rise to evilness, Kilgrave was full on evil and the biggest bastard ever. Marvel people cannot handle their bad guys for shit.

PS: Also the directing and overall quality of the show hasn't been good, as some people have already pointed out.

i was relieved he died. Would have been a major cop out if Jessica decided at last minute to not kill him despite all that had happened.

Kain

They used Ronan the Accuser as a jobber. They don't give a fuck about their villains.

Word. And Malekith. Loki was good one movie, then he was your everyday Yamcha. Cannot wait to see how they fuck up Thanos.

i was relieved he died. Would have been a major cop out if Jessica decided at last minute to not kill him despite all that had happened.

He should have escaped, Jessica didn't deserve vengeance in my opinion. KG could just go off the grid and reappear in the future against the Defenders or something. Maybe it's a contractual thing, though, I suspect Tennant is not cheap, even more so when he probably lives in the UK and these shows are american...

Top Bottom