• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Yeah, unless SHIELD never revealed what happened in New Mexico or suddenly aliens invading New York got redacted, yeah, I don't buy people getting skeptical.
They might as well have a separate film and TV universe, because let's face it, even with street level superheroes we're never going to have Spider-Man swinging by.

jmood88

Sorry I just don't buy a world where aliens rained down from the sky is the same one where people are skeptical of mind control. These shows are actually being hurt by the MCU connections rather than benefitting from them at all. It's a pointless connection at the moment :
This doesn't make sense. People will always try to rationalize things and a guy who controls minds is something that isn't easily proven.

Sorry I just don't buy a world where aliens rained down from the sky is the same one where people are skeptical of mind control. These shows are actually being hurt by the MCU connections rather than benefitting from them at all. It's a pointless connection at the moment :\

I think the skepticism is used as more a form of control by Jeri and an excuse to not have to deal with it/cause panic by police

They probably are not equipped to deal with it especially since they can no longer lean on Shield.

I know its a stretch but the one thing the MCU hasnt really fleshed out is how ground level regular people are dealing with it

At least in AoS and Jessica Jones there are hints of what is happening at the grass roots level

I feel like it would have been logical and nice to see some kind of strengthened and logical response to even the idea of a mind controller though... wasnt handled like you would think it would be handled in the current state of the MCU

Also, last on my bitch list, don't really like they actually had Purple Man raping Jess. It was always more unsettling in the comics that he made her want to have sex with him, but he'd never let her. Strengthens the idea that his damage is psychological and not just physical.

Then again, the parameters of their relationship are slightly different in the show.

Yeah I forgot about the Nuke thing, so for the first half of the series I was like, "what the fuck is up with this shifty cop character"

Then the pills came out and it was like... oh. Right. Nuke.

They probably should've cut him entirely or handled him very differently. It was just a distraction that added very little to the plot in the end.

Kingpin's henchman in The Defenders... believe...

jmood88

Yeah I forgot about the Nuke thing, so for the first half of the series I was like, "what the fuck is up with this shifty cop character"

Then the pills came out and it was like... oh. Right. Nuke.

They probably should've cut him entirely or handled him very differently. It was just a distraction that added very little to the plot in the end.

I also didn't buy that Trish would be so attracted to him. Even before I realized he was Nuke, that GI Joes melting story was openly insane and she thought it was cute.
What did he distract from? People love to throw that around when it typically means something that they just didn't like.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Man, these Netflix shows are great. JJ didn't disappoint.

Question though, wasn't the first comic arc about
Jessica witnessing Cap doing a potentially bad thing with a lady
? Or was that from a later story and I remember it wrong?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, these Netflix shows are great. JJ didn't disappoint.

Question though, wasn't the first comic arc about
Jessica witnessing Cap doing a potentially bad thing with a lady
? Or was that from a later story and I remember it wrong?
If you call have implied to have maybe sex a bad thing.

The only thing i did not like in the last episode was
her friend being hooded and trying to fool the police with it. I thought it was such a dumb thing to write for a script. Then Jessica jumps and hide behind a wooden thing and trying to avoid the hail of bullets.

Now on a general discussion
I thought the lesbian boss will set Killgrave free to get her ex. I thought the show would make that predictable move. I am glad it did not.

RK128

Saw every episode except Ep. 12 last night and man, the show as impressive :D. I had a few issues with it, but the great parts really stuck out to me.

Spoilers for the series here:
-Loved the characters of Jessica, Purple Man and Luke Cage. All three were perfectly cast and Purple Man/Killgrave in particular was such a great villain. Well spoken and had control over everything, even when that wasn't the case. Jessica was a great character too and I liked how smart she was throughout the story
-Episode 4 was a highlight to me, as they make you think one thing but completely pull the rug under you regarding if Kilgrave/Purple Man hunted down/tricked Jessica. It opens the doors to more people being aware of Super Heroes, which will clearly become a big topic with CA: Civil War next year
-Loved the colors and shadows of the show; really gave this menecing feeling and one that you really couldn't shake. It was a bit lost after episode 5 or 6 but the early episodes perfectly nailed everything regarding this
-Loved her comments on the costume Pam makes for her and the name Jewel; really funny and shows how more 'realistic' the MCU is in comparison to the comics
-The first four-six episodes to me, were perfect. They told this great mystery and I was hooked; wanted to see what happened next. From episode seven onward's I still enjoyed the show, but it didn't match the first few episodes
-I was disapointed that the show wasn't as dark as the comic Alias. The show still touches on that and there are some very graphic elements I never expected from something out of the MCU (bodies fill of blood, sex being a present topic, mind control being explored, and the torture scenes that Kilgrave faced as a kid reminded me of what Wolverine faced in X2 (where he was being tested on/filled with antimantium)).
-But we don't see what Killgrave did to Jessica during the time her controlled her. We see flash backs of this, but I would have loved an episode that was just a 50-minute flashback to the 8 months he had control over her. THAT would have been very dark and twisted but I understand why they didn't go that direction; even on Netflix and away from TV censors, Marvel and Netflix don't want to link to all that stuff to the MCU (which this is a part off, good or bad)
-I'm torn on the side characters. A few of them I really liked; Malcom's arc was great, Jessica's best friend Pam was a great characters, and Pam's boyfriend was enjoyable (though got a bit old by the end; the 'twist' with him was somewhat expected but not that interesting....he was always a bit off to me since the first time we meet him). The rest of the side characters ranged from okay too annoying. That creepy sister in particular I hated; she was such a waste to focus on in the latter episodes and she is the reason Kilgrave was able to kill Hope.
-I am also torn on the episodes length. I love the fact that I am watching more or less a full Marvel Movie every two or so episodes but if they made it 30-40 minutes, they could focus more on the core cast/story a bit more.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this show and considering I only watched the first two episodes of Daredevil, I really am going to dive into that this weekend :D!

I would give this a 7.5/8 out of 10; great set up and does a lot right but fumbles a bit toward the end. Considering episode length and refusal to completely dive into the darker elements of the comic, that is almost expected but the show is still a fantastic ride and I look forward to seeing Jessica appear in future Marvel Netflix shows in the future :D.

RK128

The justification for Jessica breaking free seemed really dumb.
So she didn't want to kill her, but she did, so now she's good.
I don't think anyone wanted to anything, but no one else broke free.

I didn't read Alias, but I know that Purple Man can't control someone with great will or something like that, so I figured this would tie into her freedom.
It kind of is, in a way, but they did a poor job at explaining it.

Spoilers for show:
I see her resisting Killgrave's control mainly coming from being around him for 8 months and having her super powers. Being around him so long in addition to Jessica fighting his control all lead to her developing some kind of resistance to the particles/virus/ect he emits when he controls people. So, that was how I brought it, even if is stretching things a bit :l.

RK128

They should have explained it a bit better, but that doesn't seem like a massive stretch. She clearly developed some kind of immunity to the virus after prolonged exposure. Hence the attempt to use her blood to create a vaccine. It wasn't just "the power of goodness freed her!"

Good point; it would of been nice if they explained it better though like you said.

I was hoping Kilgrave would have a more purple skin tone or eyes or something after the injection. They did show a bit of that during the scene when he was injected, but it wasn't a permanent change

The show really pushes the theme that he's basically the ultimate form of negative masculinity. Raping women and claiming it wasn't, constantly forcing women to smile, using a blend of grand gestures and outright threats to keep Jessica in his orbit and believing she'll eventually fall for him beyond all reason... he's pretty different from the fourth-wall breaking sociopath of Alias. He's basically an OP version of a fedora-tipping nice guy. He's obsessed with Jessica because she's the one person he can't control.

Yeah couldn't agree more, and it's great actually. He still manages to be pretty faithful to the comic books though, the moment in the police station where he's ranting about "your stupid expressions and the smell of PISS" is very much reminiscent of this;

latest

I think that's the reason I was hoping for a Daredevil cameo actually.

I was anticipating a Luke-Jessica fight, because come on, two superpowered characters in a show, of course they're going to fight eventually. But I thought the scene at the bus was going to be the extent. The reveal that Kilgrave had been controlling him in Ep 12 caught me totally off-guard

What do you guys think about the complaints in the OT that Jessica was getting beat up too easily? I thought the show had done a good job showing that while she's super strong, she can be hurt like anyone else. The cuts and scrapes, getting shot, broken ribs, slashed by the scalpel, stunned/slowed by the tasers, etc.

I do think the ending was kind of anticlimactic. Like Kilgrave supposedly got his big power upgrade, but we don't really see any changes or enhancements, besides the hospital scene. He could already control an entire restaurant before, at the end, controlling the police or the people at the dock wasn't very impressive

And a tiny gripe: Ruben's decapitated head prop looks really fake IMO. Anyone else think so?

nubbe

I'm kinda upset Jessica didn't crush Killgrave's jaw at the end
Would have been fitting for him to be unable to speak

I liked the show a lot, though probably not as much as DD. It's a solid 8/10. My only real issue is that I feel like the conclusion she comes to by the end of the series is unearned. I get what they were trying to do. They wanted to juxtapose her and Matt's journeys. Matt was a guy who struggled with whether or not he was a bad guy, and came to the conclusion that he wasn't. Jessica spent the whole series denying it was her fault, then by the end basically concluded she could never be a hero at all and that she'll always be a bad guy. After the way things went down between her and Kilgrave, I simply cannot buy her "I'll always be the bad guy trying to be a hero" conclusion as a logical destination given her journey. Really the only major flaw in the series for me.

jmood88

I liked the show a lot, though probably not as much as DD. It's a solid 8/10. My only real issue is that I feel like the conclusion she comes to by the end of the series is unearned. I get what they were trying to do. They wanted to juxtapose her and Matt's journeys. Matt was a guy who struggled with whether or not he was a bad guy, and came to the conclusion that he wasn't. Jessica spent the whole series denying it was her fault, then by the end basically concluded she could never be a hero at all and that she'll always be a bad guy. After the way things went down between her and Kilgrave, I simply cannot buy her "I'll always be the bad guy trying to be a hero" conclusion as a logical destination given her journey. Really the only major flaw in the series for me.

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Jessica spent majority of the season telling other people that it wasn't their fault for what Kilgrave made them do while still blaming herself for everything she did while being controlled by him. I also don't know where you got the idea that she sees herself as a bad guy as it makes no sense whatsoever considering everything she did throughout the season.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Episode 10 just jumped the shark for me :/

NeoGiff

Goddamn! When it was mentioned that Jessica was in custody for the murder of Kilgrave, I thought the season would end with Matt and Foggy coming in and telling her they were there to represent her. Great season, though. I loved it.

Edit:

I was hoping Kilgrave would have a more purple skin tone or eyes or something after the injection. They did show a bit of that during the scene when he was injected, but it wasn't a permanent change

He also went a bit purple at the docks.

hn7pHmp.gif

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Jessica spent majority of the season telling other people that it wasn't their fault for what Kilgrave made them do while still blaming herself for everything she did while being controlled by him. I also don't know where you got the idea that she sees herself as a bad guy as it makes no sense whatsoever considering everything she did throughout the season.

The last monologue she gave at the end of the show was something along the lines of "I can try to do good things and help people, but at the end of the day none of it matters because of who I am." That to me is her seeing herself as a problem, not a solution.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just noticed this is the spoiler thread lol

Jobbs

Banned
The battle in the final episode was absolutely stupid.

Okay, so they had Pam go in with the hoodie as a diversion so Jessica could... Stand up and pointlessly reveal herself in the balcony and get shot at for no reason? What? That was the plan?

And then the cops conveniently stop shooting for her to slowly run across the room and close the gate, then they start shooting again...

Good show overall, but some of the action scenes were really piss poor.

I didn't enjoy the series as much as I did Daredevil while I was semi-bingeing it, but after finishing it and thinking about it a bit I do think Jessica Jones is much better and more interesting.

I wonder how the general reception of the show ends up being (it's very well-received critically, I think. and for good reason), since it's really the first MCU show that didn't seem to target either the wide international audience (MCU movies) or adult male comic book audience (Daredevil). The whole show is written and characterized from a very female perspective, not just in terms the show's gender representation but also for its character motivations and its depictions of relationships. In the OT there are a lot of posts that complain about poor or incomplete characterization, but honestly I think this show has been more than thorough about explaining in one way or another why everyone does what they do, and I actually sort of appreciate that they go through so much effort to explain things even if it seems to come at the cost of pacing.

I'm curious to see how people respond to Marvel making such a female-focused show, especially with how many people had problems with BW in Avengers, and with Captain Marvel still coming up (presumably). I think anyone coming into JJ expecting a comic book show are going to end up very disappointed.

jackdoe

Man, Simpson is just so slimy from the get go, even before he goes roid rage. That the writers wanted Patsy to form an intimate relationship with him made him feel even slimier. Like, Kilgrave slimy.

The justification for Jessica breaking free seemed really dumb.
So she didn't want to kill her, but she did, so now she's good.
I don't think anyone wanted to anything, but no one else broke free.

I didn't read Alias, but I know that Purple Man can't control someone with great will or something like that, so I figured this would tie into her freedom.
It kind of is, in a way, but they did a poor job at explaining it.
I actually think I figured it out.

Kilgrave is spot on. He told JJ to "take care" of her. JJ made the choice to kill her. Perhaps making her own decision while in hos control snapped her out of it somehow because Kilgrave accidentally fucked up. We know his commands are taken literally from Hank who says Hi Hank.

Man, Simpson is just so slimy from the get go, even before he goes roid rage. That the writers wanted Patsy to form an intimate relationship with him made him feel even slimier. Like, Kilgrave slimy.

I don't think it was ever depicted as Trish actually likes/loves him per se, it's just important for her to be in control of their relationship. Like when she cuts him off before agreeing with him when he challenged Jessica's first plan, when she initially wouldn't talk to him without the door or the gun, how she's really assertive during their sex scenes and doesn't let him do anything, when she chose to possibly die in order to fight him on even terms ("worth it"), etc.

I liked how their relationship was built around Simpson's guilt and Trish's fear, in contrast to what Jessica and Luke sorta had.

I watched the whole season today. I may go deeper with thoughts later because this was kind of a strange show. I would personally rank DD higher because I was way more of a DD reader and fan and I loved seeing what they did.

Jessica Jones is great show that occasionally felt off and didn't have as much of the humor at DD, but that's personal taste

Casting was Ace's - Jessica and Luke were great. Kilgrave made the show, as the villain usually does for me.

-I REALLY like how they handled some aspects of the hero world that we haven't seen from Marvel yet, like the couple trying to retaliate and kill JJ. It felt natural as a theme but her rage speech at them felt a bit flat.

I thought all/most of the story asides ('Hero' killers, the research company, the soldier drugs. support group) all slowed things down. Dealing with Kilgrave and the logistics of his powers were my favorite things. Some of it felt like good world building but mostly padding. I thought DD should have been just 10 episodes and I'll say the same here. They weren't BAD, but not handled extremely well in terms of the pacing the season.

-I thought the stuff they did with public discussion of heros and villain was good; the idea of how you would have to defend victims in court was well done and the Kilgrave victim support group felt very real and appropriate (don't know if it was great on camera)

-I liked that the show in general had a theme of relationships, either destructive, failing and ended by tragedy and how different characters dealt with that. Tennant fucking SHINED with his horrible and crushing delusions. FFS, the final moments of the season where he thinks he won and goes right back into his oppressive love is funny and kind of sick.

I thought Trish, Jeri and Will were all not used very well at first but once they get running and developed a bit they were good. I'm glad they did as much as they did with Carrie-Ann Moss. I didn't like it as first but they build her out and her home life fed into the show's theme very well.

I thought Will sucked for most of his early stuff and I'm not sure how I feel about the Nuke angle. It was interesting in that I didn't expect it but I thought it came across out of tone for the show and A bit silly when Trish took a Red and fought.

I had DD as a 9, I really loved it.

This was an 8 for me. Excellent, well-made show. Interesting story, and themes but maybe not as close to home in my comic love as DareDevil

Top Bottom