• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Layell

I realized eventually that Malcolm was the red Power Ranger in RPM.
tumblr_njvnqrBsWt1sng2feo2_400.jpg

That and Lester from The Wire with the "two years from full pension"

Overall good show but I felt the whole but things like the above and "Hope is gone now we can kill him" part wasn't that great, felt overdone. Can anyone who has read the comic story this is based on say how good of an adaptation this is?

Vegito

Banned
so anyone ideas when well hear about a season 2? i think it took about a week before netflix announced season 2 of daredevil.

so anyone ideas when well hear about a season 2? i think it took about a week before netflix announced season 2 of daredevil.
A month tops? It all depends on they're plans I guess. My theory is they combine Luke Cage and Jessica Jones's shows after their first seasons for a Heroes For Hire show. That would be fun

Vegito

Banned
A month tops? It all depends on they're plans I guess. My theory is they combine Luke Cage and Jessica Jones's shows after their first seasons for a Heroes For Hire show. That would be fun

that could be a good compromise if both luke and jessica get real popular. It would save a lot of time rather than filming 2 seperate shows.

Omzz

Just finished up. I liked it overall, but daredevil is definitely better. It started off strong for me then sorta dragged on when Kilgrave was in that cell. Really started losing interest during that part and after that it just remained constant from there

The main characters were great, but man I just did not give a fuck about the secondary characters' stories. The support group, the divorce, the crazy cop dude, all parts which I just did not care about at all.

Marvel on Netflix is a good thing though. Hopefully they keep it consistent with their other shows coming up

Joni

Its a fictional show. Some stuff just makes no sense.
I always find it strange that people bring up this kind of complaints in superheroe shows o_O
You do need to be somewhat consistent. It has to make sense in the context of the fiction.

AniHawk

Overall good show but I felt the whole but things like the above and "Hope is gone now we can kill him" part wasn't that great, felt overdone. Can anyone who has read the comic story this is based on say how good of an adaptation this is?

i really hate any character named hope when they are central to the plot. feels like the writer thinks they're being clever.

the show is loosely based off 'alias' which is marvel's reintroduction of jessica jones as a private investigator for superhuman folk.

in the book, all the stuff involving kilgrave has already happened. her personal backstory is largely the same, although i think she kind of likes peter parker and has a celebrity crush on johnny storm. jessica becomes 'jewel' for a short while until kilgrave gets a hold of her. he was actually a daredevil villain, but liked having a superhero as a sort of plaything, and kept her around to torture her mentally. he had her watch him have sex with college girls and make her beg for it herself. then one day he sees a newspaper article about daredevil saving hell's kitchen and snaps, ordering her to kill him and any superpowered person who gets in her way. she sucker punches scarlet witch (mistking her for daredevil) after the avengers came back from a tough mission on accident, and i guess nearly kills her. the avengers then super overreact and practically murder jessica, putting her into a coma.

jean grey puts in a mental blocker to stop her from being controlled by kilgrave again and the avengers feel really bad about nearly killing someone as a natural reflex. jessica then becomes the sort of person you see in the show. kind of withdrawn and damaged from the whole thing. her payback is that she knocks kilgrave the fuck out the next time they meet (he wasn't aware of jean grey's whole mental blocker thing).

i never followed up on later things but he sort of becomes a jessica jones/luke cage villain i believe. he's pretty much a huge asshole without any sort of redeeming qualities (they try to humanize him in the jessica jones show, which i don't think worked to his advantage as a character). he also doesn't have an obsessive crush on jessica jones, at least as of 'alias', she's just another in a long line of people he ruined.

AniHawk

This stupid complaint fits on every single superhero book ever created. Its a stupid complaint, nothing more.

eh, i think it's fine until you start paying attention to it. unfortunately for the show, it does that itself by showing what happens to luke cage, that his unbreakable skin doesn't mean he's invincible. it means he has physical limitations and jessica would too, but it's actually inconsistent for her.

Just finished the entire show. My interest levels peaked during the first 2 episodes, then dropped after that so much that I was playing games while watching until it hit the prison episodes. That stuff was intense. Loved every minute of it after that.

Too bad they killed Kilgrave, Tenant is creepy as fuck. Although he would be probably troublesome to get into the Defenders show, i would think.

A lot of unsubtle setups for the future of the series or maybe for defenders.

Luke Cage was cool, but I can't see what his series will be about. Dude's indestructible. No conflict is gonna make us worry about him unless that's what 90% of story will be. Luke Cage being cool and awesome.

Anyone think Claire is gonna be Coulson'd in the Defenders series?

arumisan

Just finished the entire show. My interest levels peaked during the first 2 episodes, then dropped after that so much that I was playing games while watching until it hit the prison episodes. That stuff was intense. Loved every minute of it after that.

Too bad they killed Kilgrave, Tenant is creepy as fuck. Although he would be probably troublesome to get into the Defenders show, i would think.

A lot of unsubtle setups for the future of the series or maybe for defenders.

Luke Cage was cool, but I can't see what his series will be about. Dude's indestructible. No conflict is gonna make us worry about him unless that's what 90% of story will be. Luke Cage being cool and awesome.

Anyone think Claire is gonna be Coulson'd in the Defenders series?

Re: Claire... completely. Considering she's going to be in Luke's show too.

Just finished episode 9. Right now I like the show, but I can see why people are not liking it as much.

They didn't show Kilgrave as misunderstood or not responsible for his actions at all. It was a misdirect. His parents were trying to cure a disease that would have left him brain dead. His persecution complex at the ordeal is his own childish misunderstanding amplified via his evident insanity.

They didn't show Kilgrave as misunderstood or not responsible for his actions at all. It was a misdirect. His parents were trying to cure a disease that would have left him brain dead. His persecution complex at the ordeal is his own childish misunderstanding amplified via his evident insanity.

I can't tell if this was a bad thing or good thing yet. Maybe on a second watch it will be more clear.

You kinda still feel bad for him a bit being subjected to that amount pain without proper guidance and love from his parents.

Welp binge watched it and end up loving every moment of the show I didn't go through a moment of "I wish this would go quicker." like I did with a few parts of Daredevil.

I absolutely loved the fact that it takes quite a while for Jessica to feel, superhero-ish and at times the fact she doesn't even feel like a super hero cause her powers aren't flashy and very minor things can still hurt her.

One part I was iffy on was the whole rape angle. I was hoping that part of the story wouldn't involve Kilgrave raping Jessica while he had her under his control, though I realize in a mind control story there's always that possibility. I just hate seeing rape as part of a strong female's character's story. And wow David Tennant played Kilgrave to a fucking T. He plays a slimy, full of himself, cocky psychopath villain pretty damn well.

I'm gonna out on a limb here and say Simpson is SOOOO gonna be a part of season 2. I mean the dude has got supervillian written all over him now.

But using her full strength would destroy her body if that was the case. Shit makes no sense. Even normal people routinely break bones just hitting other people.

If Ant-man was real his powers would be more like a knife coming out of nowhere and hitting you in the face, not a punch. He also would crush a ant by sitting on it. It's comic books dude, let it go :p

One thing about the Marvel series so far is that 13 episodes seems to be too many for the stories that they have been trying to tell so far. Jessica Jones got it worse than Daredevil, but not by all that much. I think they are trying way too hard to make each series one MAJOR storyline, but often without having decompression or MOTWs to deal with the main story gets bogged down. I think at 8-10 episodes the series would have been perfect. At 13, there was a fair bit of chaff. Daredevil had this too, right around the time Foggy found out about Matt that series ground to a halt, with JJ, right around the time Kilgrave escaped due to abject stupidity the same happened.

Also, seriously. Don't be an awesome old black dude in any of these shows. YOU WILL DIE!

Sadist

So yeah, finished this morning.

Overall I enjoyed the series, but it's no Daredevil. Nope.

First up, I want to get out the bad things.

- I really disliked the Hogarth subplot. Yes, we get she's another shitty shark. But does she add something to the plot? No. Felt like the token "look, we got a bigger name in this series as well!" and really shoehorned in.
- Robyn as a character blows. Is she comic relief? If so, she was pretty bad at.
- While I liked the Malcolm reveal (really good btw), after his detox he kind of lost my interest. He wants to help people, is a good guy at heart, but he willingly dumps the body of Reuben in the river? Just to help Jess? Weird jump to action. And now he's Jess's Foggy? Huh.
- Netflix shows have budgets, but the display of powers was awkward. Well except for the Jess vs. Luke fight with him punching through the walls. Especially where she jumps. Looked bad.
- Hope wasn't much of a character either. And she kills herself. Well okay. I understand she lost everything, but it felt really, really random.

But I liked more than I disliked

- David Tennant stole the show for me. He's ghastly as Killgrave and his mannerisms are great. The commands he orders are creepy as fuck. His introduction was pretty basic (ofcourse he would order the kids in the closet and let the girl pee in there) but he really made the character colourful. His obsession with Jessica is great and like his dialogue. Also; "Bitches, right?"
- Ritter did well as JJ. She might be a bit too moody (and man does she like booze) but I enjoyed her as the mc.
- Luke Cage is great. Sweet Christmas!
- Gruesome deaths were great in depicting Killgrave as a psychopath
- Jessica losing her shit at the couple who wanted to get even with "those buddies of her" was cool. "I want a divorce"
- Holy shit, Simpson is Nuke!
- I like Trish. Her boning Simpson was pretty strange, but overall good.

That's all for now.

I don't think Daredevil didn't show up because Jessica had to stand on her own legs as a character. I think it just came down to logistics.

I would've appreciated more nods to Daredevil though considering in the comic tie-in Jessica is aware he exists.

A bunch of buildings blew up and went up in flames not too long ago but they didn't even reference that either.
logistics? How do you mean? In our out of the show? That they didn't contact Charlie cox early enough to get a cameo or that it wouldn't make sense for the devil of Hell's Kitchen to be hearing the shit about mind control on the news and radio?

Either way, I'm not sure I agree. Especially after Claire mentioned that she knows someone else who can help, and Jessica already knows about daredevil, and Pam said "I want a lawyer" - all things considered I think it would be appropriate.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Matt should have showed up for a moment, at least for that Lawyer scene when the girlfriend of the female lawyer was about to get busted, but that Daredevil didnt showed up was ok because:

-They wanted to show strong female characters and having a man appearing in the finale to help out would have destroyed that
-Jessica correctly mentions that having a superpowered beeing in the finale just to be under Killgraves control would not be useful
-They dont need that annoying "why doesnt x not just call the other Avengers?" Argument for their Tv shows.
Movie Phase I didnt do this either.

Matt should have showed up for a moment, at least for that Lawyer scene when the girlfriend of the female lawyer was about to get busted, but that Daredevil didnt showed up was ok because:

-They wanted to show strong female characters and having a man appearing in the finale to help out would have destroyed that
-Jessica correctly mentions that having a superpowered beeing in the finale just to be under Killgraves control would not be useful
-They dont need that annoying "why doesnt x not just call the other Avengers?" Argument for their Tv shows.
Movie Phase I didnt do this either.

-they literally had a strong female lead all throughout the show, so not that I disagree with you about daredevil not showing up a good thing, but it wouldn't necessarily have ruined the season finale. When you need help, you need help.
-yup, there is that. Unless eye contact is a focal point of purple man's mind control or if stick taught matt strong will power, it's likely daredevil wouldn't have been of much help.
-well that kind of actually happened when Claire said she could try getting in touch with the person that she knows.

It's annoying how they were being so cryptic about it. Jessica jones knows about the devil of Hell's Kitchen, so Claire could've been been like "yeah, daredevil. Ever heard of him?"

jmood88

eh, i think it's fine until you start paying attention to it. unfortunately for the show, it does that itself by showing what happens to luke cage, that his unbreakable skin doesn't mean he's invincible. it means he has physical limitations and jessica would too, but it's actually inconsistent for her.
It's not all that inconsistent. The one time she goes down relatively easy is when the girl hits her in the head with that piece of wood.

Huge missed opportunity not to have Murdock show. I initially thought the DD connections were part of why they chose to use JJ after DD in the first place.

It's obvious that him showing up in the finale to kick ass was pointless -- Jessica JUST had to fight Luke because of that kind of mistake -- but the location of the show, the constant law theme... At least Murdock and Foggy should've cameoed.

Maybe we'll get a nod to JJ being Murdock's bodyguard in a later season or The Defenders.

Totally. I thought they had an obvious inroads for Matt because of the PI-lawyer connection. Jessica has a major falling out with Jeri toward the end and I was expecting him to show up or her to go to him at Clare's recommendation. They didn't need him to show up as Daredevil, but having him show up as a lawyer just briefly would have been a good nod.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's annoying how they were being so cryptic about it. Jessica jones knows about the devil of Hell's Kitchen, so Claire could've been been like "yeah, daredevil. Ever heard of him?"
I think its just Bendis gonna Bendis.
He should write a short tie in for the serialization of his comic and since everybody loved Daredevil and he had a famous Daredevil book, too, he shoehorned him in.

Dunlop

Overall pretty enjoyable, but the ridiculousness arc of the main plot kinda of took me out of it.

Jessica did not want to kill Killgrave to prove Hope was innocent. The way to do this was to video tape him using his power on someone and then zapping before that person carried it out? What court would accept that?

Looking past that and the video worked, how do you incarcerate a man who can bend everyone within earshot to his will? the police station scene is an illustration of that.

I would have preferred that the goal was to kill him from the onset as there was really no other possible outcome that would stop him.

Chariot

Overall pretty enjoyable, but the ridiculousness arc of the main plot kinda of took me out of it.

Jessica did not want to kill Killgrave to prove Hope was innocent. The way to do this was to video tape him using his power on someone and then zapping before that person carried it out? What court would accept that?

Looking past that and the video worked, how do you incarcerate a man who can bend everyone within earshot to his will? the police station scene is an illustration of that.

I would have preferred that the goal was to kill him from the onset as there was really no other possible outcome that would stop him.
Yeah, not really sure what Jessica's idea was. As in the series stated, anyone could've just paid off to pretend to be controlled. And it's certainly not very telling if SHE is doing something. But at least that plan was stupid and desperate even in-world. It wouldn't have worked and in the end Jessica would've probably killed him in the glass cage.

Duct tape his mouth shut and have him communicate via writing or something? I dunno a trial could work in theory.

jmood88

Hope reminded Jessica of herself and she was desperate to keep her from having her life taken away by Kilgrave. The plan got more and more ridiculous as she kept focusing on proving that Kilgrave existed but the few people who knew about it commented on that as it was happening. It's not like everyone blindly went ahead with her plan or agreed that it was a great idea. There were only three people who knew about the plan: Will, who tried to stop it, Trish who went along with it to support her friend, and Hogarth, who didn't like being dragged into it but needed Jessica so she was forced to go with it. I don't think that we were ever meant to believe that the plan made any sense.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just finished and it's more than or equal to Daredevil for me.

If there's anything to take away from this show at this very moment before I head off my work break is how well Kilgrave was written, I think. Take away the mind control stuff and it's so easy to recognize the kind of guys that exist like him. It's pretty scary how well they nailed that and it's part of what made him so compelling and believable.

I finished it yesterday, but wanted to give myself a night to sleep on it and process it. I found it enjoyable and I'd say it's a good show, but several things irked me. Many have been covered already and I only want to get into a couple of them.

Hogarth and the entire story around her was super frustrating for multiple reasons. She's pretty much completely unlikable and unethical and generally seems to exist mostly to use as a plot device rather than an interesting character. Even beyond that, it's annoying that, "Hey, let's put in some lesbian characters. The main one will be dishonest, conniving, utterly selfish, impossible to like, and all around a piece of shit. And also she should be cheating on her wife that seems far far too good for her and you have to wonder how she'd ever marry such a terrible person. And the new flame should be increasingly aware of how awful the main one is, including to her wife, but she shouldn't really care UNTIL..we have former lesbian lovers fight and then the new one comes in and kills one of the others! This is all completely original and has never been done on TV or in other fiction with queer women."

It's fine that Zebediah Killgrave Purple Man Kilgrave is rather different in personality and goals from the comic Killgrave (both in Alias and in general). He was well done for what they seemed to want him to be and I get what they were doing with him, but the way they actually handled using him in the show ended up causing a lot of awkwardness. They leaned far too heavily on questionable to outright terrible decisions along with coincidences to keep him as an active threat. The show suffers from him needing to function as a driving and hands on villain for an entire 13 episode season.

Just finished and it's more than or equal to Daredevil for me.

If there's anything to take away from this show at this very moment before I head off my work break is how well Kilgrave was written, I think. Take away the mind control stuff and it's so easy to recognize the kind of guys that exist like him. It's pretty scary how well they nailed that and it's part of what made him so compelling and believable.

Right, He himself is absolutely perfect.

They can give Trinity's wage to Charlie Cox next season. Fucking dreadful character. Turns every scene she's in to an absolute bore.

My disappointment when Jess says she needs for a lawyer only for that miserable woman to show up for the umpteenth time.

Alienous

I was expecting Kilgrave's power boost to make him purple.

Eh, decent series, but front-loaded with regards to good writing. Most of the latter half of the season takes its time going nowhere.

They really screwed themselves for a second season. What's Jessica going to do, be a superhero Sherlock Holmes?

Chariot

Eh, decent series, but front-loaded with regards to good writing. Most of the latter half of the season takes its time going nowhere.

They really screwed themselves for a second season. What's Jessica going to do, be a superhero Sherlock Holmes?
There are many hooks, even if we ignore Nuke. We have the company related to the truck that caused her superpowers and the other kids in the experiments that Kilgrave was part of. Hope's child may died, but he surely slept around, imagine other pregnant woman giving birth to his children, leading to a Village of the Damned story.

When he shouts "STTTTTTTTTTTTOP" at the very end all of his veins were purple in his face.

I know, I am the one to fault on this one, but I kinda regret watching 13 episodes of this series in the hope it would appeal to me more. Should've stopped after episode 2. Oh well. Have fun with the discussion :)

El Topo

I'm not gonna lie, "Superhero Sherlock Holmes" sounds like an awesome concept. There's also the company/organization that experimented on Will and there's the other children that were experimented on.

I love how you say "Superhero Sherlock Holmes", as if that's at all an awful concept. My guess is the second series will take a more procedural slant, as the original comic book is.

There's something I feel was kind of off about the show.

Trish's blindspot with Simpson. Simpson was a sexist and honestly racist dude from the start. I get her not being there when he was being a POS to Malcolm and others, but she could tell straight up during his conversations with her and Jessica that he wasn't that great of a guy.

Garlador

There's something I feel was kind of off about the show.

Trish's blindspot with Simpson. Simpson was a sexist and honestly racist dude from the start. I get her not being there when he was being a POS to Malcolm and others, but she could tell straight up during his conversations with her and Jessica that he wasn't that great of a guy.

Simpson in general was all over the place for me. He started off as just another sympathetic victim and a good guy cop trying to do the right thing... but he went off the rails almost at random, and him going around blasting up his fellow police officers for doing their jobs and trying to murder the woman that saved his life felt like a "kick the dog" moment for him that was inconsistent with the person we met at the start of the series.

... And then, of course, Jessica just proves his point and decides to kill Kilgrave instead of capturing him, which was what he was advocating practically from the start. It was a poor character arc for both of them, in my opinion,

Alienous

I thought for sure Simpson was going to have a 'Super Soldier ProgrammeProgram' reveal.

He seemed more like Captain America than Captain America.

Top Bottom