• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

It wasn't really a good plan. Plenty of flaws. That was clearly the point though. Jones has no idea how to fix the mess, how to prove somehow that Kilgrave has this power and the show makes it quite clear that she is not reasonable when it comes to Kilgrave. I thought there was also maybe the subsconscious wish to escape it all and pay penance, not for killing Reva, but for not killing Kilgrave.

It was a terrible idea, yeah, even she says that when telling others about it.
It was a long shot but it coulda worked and like I said, at some point she would end up in jail with all these bodies piling up around her anyway. Plus she was still feeling like shit from the fall out with Luke being that final straw. She was willing to take the blame until Kilgrave got exposed if only to give the victims some justice and to punish herself (not only for what she did to Luke but for what part she played in all these deaths. I don't think she was beating herself up about not killing Kilgrave, she's always wanted to expose him and clear Hope's name. Killing him only stops him, it doesn't resolve things).

bryanee

Just finished. Pretty average show and very miserable much like Daredevil but it works better there. The action sequences are pretty bad, kinda reminded me a little of some of the shit fights in Smallville where they don't have the money to pull off a super strength fight properly.

Luke Cage was also a very boring character in this. I don't have much experience with that character, is he any better in the comics?

I think she's aware that Murdock is trying to keep his identity hidden. Blurting out that she knows Daredevil would violate that trust Murdock put into her.
well i'm not saying she should reveal his secret identity; i said she should mention daredevil and suggest his help. which she does, but it is way more subtle.

raphier

Banned
episode 10.
She doesn't kill Killgrove, because of Hope, but then here's he admitting that he visited DA's office as suggested for immediate release. Hope for Dad. He suggests that if his Dad is not given to him, then he will be tormenting Hope...except...what if she killed him now? Perfect opportunity. Hope is out, all is good in the world again. but noooooooooooooooooooooooo, toooo easy!

edit: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS DUMB LUCK OHM Y FUCKING GOD

Tobor

As I just said in the other thread, 10 and 11 are a misstep, but 12 and 13 redeem the show. Great ending.

I loved seeing Claire show up.

Bring on Luke Cage! I can't wait.

Tobor

Anyone know when Luke's show takes place?

Before or after this? Seems like it might take place after ... but JJ doesn't seem to appear in it.

Other than the first Captain America and Agent Carter, everything in the MCU has been chronological. I'm assuming Luke Cage will follow suit.

Finished it.

Outside of Jessica being a drunk and saying she's a shithead or asshole (can't remember) she isn't that good of a character. Making her drink a bottle each episode isn't going to make us believe her drinking makes her character good or believable. Can't cover up shit with alcoholism and think we'll buy it.

Kilgrave was a dumb villain who would have been dispatched by Ironman after 10 seconds (after Tony makes an antidote in 2 minutes). What was his purpose? To torture her? Yeah, we get that. Didn't need almost 12 and a half hours to understand this. His character didn't do much except tell people to do things. He was a crappy character and David can't be menacing at all.

I'm surprised people are super skeptical about mind control when aliens, a space god, Ironman, a big green man, etc. saved them from aliens, then a robot army tried smashing a city into the planet, helicarriers coming out from under Washington(?) and then blowing up, every other super hero being out there, and a doctor saying, "he's one of those" or whatever he said. Makes zero sense, at least there should be people investigating these claims (maybe SHIELD?)

She's a private investigator but nothing about Kingpin or Dare Devil is mentioned, you would think they may have crossed paths sometimes just because of her profession.

Why are the action scenes so awful? Even though she's not supposed to be a karate master they could have at least filmed it to be more entertaining. The way she throws her fists is laughable and they quick cut a lot of the hits and throws which is really bad. Even when they do show Jessica using her powers more clearly it looks super awkward because you can see the actress struggling lifting light or objects on wheels (the guy she dragged into the closet on episode 2 you can see Jessica struggling). Watching her lift Luke off the hospital bed into the wheel chair has the be the funniest thing I have seen, it's just bad.

6/10. Nothing memorable in it. Could have cut it in half or made it into a procedural and it would be more interesting.

Tobor

That was the whole point and everyone both told her it was a bad plan and actively tried to stop her from carrying it out.

Besides that, the plan actually worked in that he did in fact come for her. She just didn't plan on him getting there that fast.

I'm surprised Matt Murdoch never showed up as Hope's attorney. He would at least be curious to see if she's being honest considering stories he may have heard.

arumisan

Hope reminded Jessica of herself and she was desperate to keep her from having her life taken away by Kilgrave. The plan got more and more ridiculous as she kept focusing on proving that Kilgrave existed but the few people who knew about it commented on that as it was happening. It's not like everyone blindly went ahead with her plan or agreed that it was a great idea. There were only three people who knew about the plan: Will, who tried to stop it, Trish who went along with it to support her friend, and Hogarth, who didn't like being dragged into it but needed Jessica so she was forced to go with it. I don't think that we were ever meant to believe that the plan made any sense.

It really did become tiring when the show became a rinse and repeat cycle of finding Kilgrave, outwitting and capturing him, followed by him escaping. When the noose brigade foiled Jessica, I nearly had enough. Luckily, there weren't enough episodes left for the cycle to repeat in full.

Jeri's plot thread was also very, very tiring and it felt like the only reason she was included in the show was to be the punchline for Kilgrave's second escape.

My take on the whole capture-and-escape thing going on with Kilgrave stems from the reasons outlined by jmood88. She's willing to do whatever it takes so that there wouldn't not be another her i.e. Jessica sees herself in Hope and doesn't want it to happen to her.

I think the problem with the show is, like several people have pointed out, there simply wasn't enough content to sustain itself into a 13 episode season. I wished there was more episodes dedicated to her PI work - unfortunately they sidelined it for the Kilgrave situation. Thus, a lot of the subplot felt dragged on - Jeri's situation with her divorce is definitely prime example of this.

However, I did appreciate the comic delving into Jessica's relationships with Malcolm and Trish and actually dedicated an episode each to explore it. I think these two characters actually came out on top - Malcolm has a fantastic character arc and how Trish and Jessica's sisterly relationship formed and was reintroduced was great.

It seemed obvious that he had issues that we weren't privy to (and that they may go into in a second season or in Daredevil), which was why he ended up losing his mind. It seemed like he was a guy who became a cop to get away from the weird secret military organization he was with, then Kilgrave fucked everything up and he decided that he had to go back to that quasi-legal world.

I agree. While I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the actor's portrayal of the character, I do sympathise with his situation. In a way, Simpson's like Jessica - Kilgrave messed them up badly, and they are both making irrational decisions to deal with Kilgrave. While I'm not surprised that Simpson became antagonistic, I assume his story will be brought back in a future season of JJ or perhaps The Defenders?

After finishing the series yesterday and having time to reflect on it, I enjoyed the ideas and themes explored in JJ, probably more so than Daredevil - though I think the execution did not reach its full potential; the writing (in terms of dialogue) was clunky at times and it had pacing issues too. The series is akin to having growing pains; I commend what it was trying to achieve, but it was rushing to lay the foundations for future directions of the Netflix MCU (IGH, Simpson's turn etc.) instead of refining what it has.

Additionally, I'm not sure how I feel about Luke Cage. While Colter showed he has the capability to demonstrate Luke's emotional nuances, he was quite stoic throughout the series as a whole. I'll still probably watch Luke Cage, but the character portrayed seems to be quite... boring. His disappearance (I actually don't remember why he left) and his reemergence during the final couple of episodes seemed awkward as well (pacing issues?) However Colter and Ritter has great chemistry and I look forward to their future series. (I assume they probably merge the two together? I don't really read the comics, but I can imagine it'll make it easier to introduce new characters into the Netflix lineup.)

Overall, I enjoyed the series and I do hope for another one.

The Hermit

Just finished and... Well what a terrible disappointment.

The first half was really good. Very emotionally heavy and Kilgrave was much scarier in Jessica's mind that IRL. The moment she learned she was immune, the show basically ended.

It would be much better if the girl killed her parents in ep 4 and the previous 3 were showing Jessica's life or something, with the PTSD flashing eventually and showing how was her life with him or something.

Ditch the lawyers and the twins subplot because wtf was that. I actually had to skip almost all scenes with the sister after her brother was killed, it was too cringy for me.

And I don't know, make Kilgrave purple at the end or something. We had a glimpse after his father injected the serum, I expected ( hell everyone who knows about the character) for him to turn purple after that buuut nope. By then the show was full Marvel, with Nuke, Like Smith and even a bit of Hellcat so why not a little fan service.

Trying to humanazing Purple Man was a waste too, because it went nowhere. Episode 8 was the moment I realized the writers had no idea what to do with the plot.

Well, can't say I am excited about another Netflix Marvel show. The cast was great, as usual, but that's it.

I read someone posting that it felt like it turn into Arrow miday and I couldn't agree more.

EDIT: typos

kai3345

Banned
The show peaked with Kilgrave's escape and the bar scene. The rest of the show was decent, but...yeah.

Rosario Dawson felt a little shoehorned in

Just finished and... Well what a terrible disappointment.

The first half was really good. Very emotionally heavy and Kilgrave was much scarier in Jessica mind that IRL. The moment she learned she was immune, the show basically ended.

It would be much better if the girl killed her parents in ep 4 and the previous 3 were showing Jessica's life or something, with the PTSD Flash eventually and showing how was his life with him or something.

Ditch the lawyers and the twins subplot because wtf was that. I actually had to skip almost all scenes with the sister after her brother was killed, it wastoo cringy for me.

And I don't know, make Kilgrave purple at the end or something. We had a glimpse after his father injected the serum, I expected ( hell everyone who knows about the character) for him to turn purple after that buuut nope. By then the show was full Marvel, with Nuke, Like Smith and even a bit of Hellcat so why not a little fan service.

Trying to humanazing Purple Man was a waste too, because it went nowhere. Episode 8 was the moment I realized the writers had no idea what to do with the plot.

Well, can't say I am excited about another Netflix Marvel show. The cast was great, as usual, but that's it.

I read someone posting that it felt like it turn into Arrow miday and I couldn't agree more.
I agree. The more I think on it, the more disappointed I am.

The Hermit

BTW, what about the The Dark Knight quotes near the end?!

"What doesn't kill you makes you stranger". Live long enough to see the hero became the villain or something paraphrasing that... Really?!

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm surprised Matt Murdoch never showed up as Hope's attorney. He would at least be curious to see if she's being honest considering stories he may have heard.

I was expecting a Daredevil cameo or for him to show up, but ultimately I'm really, really happy that they had Jones deal with Kilgrave on her own without the help of Luke Cage or Daredevil. Wanted for her to take him out without the help of other superheroes in her own show.

I wouldn't have wanted daredevil, the superhero, to show up, but not having matt show up in lawyermode was a rather bizarre exclusion to the point where I was actually confused that they weren't doing it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I guess Luke Cage will be before this since
Killgrave
is supposed to show up in it

DrSlek

I wouldn't have wanted daredevil, the superhero, to show up, but not having matt show up in lawyermode was a rather bizarre exclusion to the point where I was actually confused that they weren't doing it.

I figure it's because she's not from Hell's Kitchen?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished it. Thought it was good but somethings kept it from being great. Definitely not as good as DD in my opinion.

It starts incredibly strong but by episode 6 or 7 it loses momentum. Focusing so much on Kilgrave hurt the show no matter how good Tennant was (and he was), its not really a story you can stretch into 13 episodes. 10 or even 8 would have been much better. Simpson / Nuke was a breath of fresh air because at least it was something different but how many times did Kilgrave get captured and escape, it was silly. And that shit with the survivor victims turning on Jessica because the weird girl told them to was "jump the shark" worthy.

Also the show is full of missed opportunities.

-No purple tint, even the slightest, after he juices up (especially when youre just going to kill him off anyway).

-Speaking off, another comic adaptation that just kills the villain off, joy.

-No Matt. Or Foggy. I didnt want full blown DD but in a show with a million situations for needing a lawyer, you dont use the lawyers from your sister show. Like really? Example, on the last episode, she's being held by the cops and Matt shows up to represent her, just like this:

alias03-15cyx5q.jpg

Seriously it writes itself. Claire would have called him and ask him. But no, we get more useless Jeri Hogarth. Oh speaking of...

-You use (and gender bend but that part would be fine) a character that is solely known for being connected to the Rands (as in Danny Rand aka Iron Fist) and then dont mention any connection at all. So why even have the character, just name her Mary Banana for all it matters.

-No connection AT ALL to Hellcat so why even use Patsy Walker. Just call her Susan Boyle or something. I dont get it. I understand you cant do 1 to 1 (actually I dont but ok) but they could simply have made the same foster family angle, but when they are younger when Patsy finds out she has powers she convinces her to be a hero and Patsy is the sidekick, Jewel and Hellcat, complete with bad looking costumes, and it goes bad of course. Boom theres your "past hero" story and your Hellcat for 5 minutes. Nothing else needs to change. Sigh.

Im just ranting now, and I might be coming off harsher than I intend, I did enjoy it, and I think its good, but cant help feel disapointed.

Luke Cage was virtually perfect tho. Sweet Christmas indeed.

Edit: oh one more sorry (lol). Killgrave was a little too whiny, I wish they showed him treat her more like shit instead of acting like a borderline needy ex. Hell they factually make him WORSE by making him having raped her (he never touched her in the comic, he made her watch and made her want him, and he got pissed at her and insulted her at times. Like this:

alias25-1844bcw.jpg

Ok ill stop now :p

I just watched the final episode and all I have to say is:

Show was awesome. Probably my favourite MCU property after Winter Soldier. Daredevil S1 is still fresh in my mind after watching it early this year but Im not sure if its better than Jessica Jones S1 atm.

Kilgrave was a terrifying POS until you're reminded he looks like Doctor Who and he starts getting punched in the face and dragged around every other episode later on.

Hope's death made no sense. She had no desire to kill herself up until that scene. She was willing to take a plea bargain for fucks sake. Can someone make sense of this for me?

I think the throwback noir soundtrack was way too on the nose. It kinda was too juvenile for a show that gets particularly dark and violent.

I can't wait to look up what all the character's wacky real comicbook incarnations look like, superhero name, wacky costume, and all.

I found that Robyn character strangely attractive.

Looking forward to Luke Cage now but I hope its not a prequel starring do-nothing bartender Luke Cage.

chaobreaker said:
I can't wait to look up what all the character's wacky real comicbook incarnations look like, superhero name, wacky costume, and all.

I sincerely regret doing this. Jewel? Hellcat? Purpleman? They're OK. I'm fine with them.

Nuke? Let me tell you about Nuke. Fucking Nuke has an American flag tattooed on his face and superpowers consists of eating pills.

I never been as shaken looking up a MCU character's origin since Batroc the Leaper and Yondu.

I think the show is good, but the one thing that confuses me if how every episode they go to great lengths to show her constantly chugging booze from a bottle or drinking, but you never really see her drunk or how her being a complete alcoholic affects her life.

^ She's probably very resistant to getting drunk. She is superhuman.

I finished the season and I feel sad that I'm through with it so quickly. The shit was just out three days ago.

I'm perplexed by some of the shit in the last couple episodes. Like how could Cage almost die from being shotgunned to the face when we saw him take a full on explosion which didn't even seem to knock him down as he was walking out the door a few seconds later.

I finished the season and I feel sad that I'm through with it so quickly. The shit was just out three days ago.

I'm perplexed by some of the shit in the last couple episodes. Like how could Cage almost die from being shotgunned to the face when we saw him take a full on explosion which didn't even seem to knock him down as he was walking out the door a few seconds later.

His skin won't break but his squishy organs can still turned to mush up by something like the force of a shotgun hitting his face point blank.

It feels like this and daredevil were so dark that theres no way the defenders can make it into infinity war. I just cant see disney promoting them in their pg-13 family action flick

Rhaknar

Well he can still be knocked out so the shotgun blast to the chin was actually quite clever... except like you said he just walked out of a gas explosion like it was nothing.

Im sure a explosion packs as much a punch as a shotgun blast close range (force wise) but Im no scientist :p

Also she was drunk after Luke told her she was a piece of shit, but yeah probably more resistant. It numbs the pain and makes her a mean drunk without the drunk part :p

I'm not well versed in physics and anatomy, but an explosion that tears normal people apart couldn't do the same thing?

Bodies from explosions are useally burnt not blown apart tho. But the explosion would at least knock him around.

Lets also not mention that the shotgun blast would have blown his eardrums for example :p

Comic books!

Seesaw15

It's weird to say but just like with Daredevil I would have enjoyed more procedural/case of the week episodes. If/when this gets a season 2 I hope the show runners take a page from Luther and have a bunch of mini movies in the season vs one long one.

No, since nothing goes through his skin.

That doesn't explain shit, an explosion of that size would definitely be stronger than a shotgun shell.

Overall, I did find myself liking this a hell lot more than Daredevil, not that Daredevil's ass. It's great. I don't really fuck with most of the side characters in general in either show, but I do like Rosario Dawson's character, and that used to be druggy.

I'm also curious who could be a villain for next season. Purple Man is the only villain I actually know of hers.

I'm looking forward to that Luke Cage show though.

Top Bottom