• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's weird to say but just like with Daredevil I would have enjoyed more procedural/case of the week episodes. If/when this gets a season 2 I hope the show runners take a page from Luther and have a bunch of mini movies in the season vs one long one.

Yup. We rag on case of the week procedurals but this is one case where it would greatly have helped the show. At least 2 or 3 mini arcs with Kilgrave bookending it.

Also, can we talk about silly changes for change sake. Why change Kilgrave's name? Like they call him Kevin which Jessica mocks, so why not keep it Zebediah? Hell thats much more mockable. I seriously dont understand shit like this.

Not to mention making Kilgrave his "villain name he came up with" instead of his actual name, but that one doesnt perplex me like the first name.

So I guess we can assume if there is a second season it will be about where her powers came from with the organisation that took Simpson?

At the very least we should see him again, hopefully with the flag this time :p

Ddnuke.png

Yup. We rag on case of the week procedurals but this is one case where it would greatly have helped the show. At least 2 or 3 mini arcs with Kilgrave bookending it.

Also, can we talk about silly changes for change sake. Why change Kilgrave's name? Like they call him Kevin which Jessica mocks, so why not keep it Zebediah? Hell thats much more mockable. I seriously dont understand shit like this.

Not to mention making Kilgrave his "villain name he came up with" instead of his actual name, but that one doesnt perplex me like the first name.

I wondered that too. I assumed that was his last name. Did they think that it being his actual name would be too hokey for groundness, because their are weirder names in real life.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Like they call him Kevin which Jessica mocks, so why not keep it Zebediah? Hell thats much more mockable. I seriously dont understand shit like this.

I really understand this, I mean, no one calls their kids Zebediah in the 80s. I mean, it worked when they created Purple Man in the 60s, since he was most likely born then in the 20s, but this would have been plain stupid.

Plus, it worked for me anyway, in germany, the name Kevin is connected with, let me say... more problematic kids.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really understand this, I mean, no one calls their kids Zebediah in the 80s. I mean, it worked when they created Purple Man in the 60s, since he was most likely born then in the 20s, but this would have been plain stupid.

Plus, it worked for me anyway, in germany, the name Kevin is connected with, let me say... more problematic kids.

Both his parents looked like people who would name their child Zebediah tbh :p

Mariolee

So glad I didn't sneak a peek at any of these threads before I watched the whole thing. I absolutely loved all of it. The Daredevil tease at the end was cruel and unusual punishment but I thought everyone was cast perfectly and I actually really dug the pacing of the show. End was a bit anticlimactic, kinda wanted Kilgrave's death to be more cathartic and brutal (I'm a monster, sue me) but even then I loved it.

I don't really understand how Luke was still being controlled in the end and how much what he did was from Kilgrave.

I mean, Kilgrave doesn't turn people into robots which is part of why his power is so interesting. They can still have their own thoughts and take actions and express their thoughts and such as they try to do what he says. His dad was able to have convos and walk Trish through a whole complex process as he was still thinking about and trying to cut his heart out. Luke is clearly trying to not hurt Jess near the end of the fight but was all "FUCK YOU YOU DISGUSTING POS!" at the beginning.

Mariolee

I don't really understand how Luke was still being controlled in the end and how much what he did was from Kilgrave.

I mean, Kilgrave doesn't turn people into robots which is part of why his power is so interesting. They can still have their own thoughts and take actions and express their thoughts and such as they try to do what he says. His dad was able to have convos and walk Trish through a whole complex process as he was still thinking about and trying to cut his heart out. Luke is clearly trying to not hurt Jess near the end of the fight but was all "FUCK YOU YOU DISGUSTING POS!" at the beginning.

Wasn't Kilgrave calling Luke since he now had the power to mind control people through the phone or something since his range had expanded?

Rhaknar

"You will act as if you are no longer in my control and report to me everything she does. Also tell her you forgive her and treat her like shit when I reveal you"

There

Wasn't Kilgrave calling Luke since he now had the power to mind control people through the phone or something since his range had expanded?

I thought he was only using the phone to get updates from Luke on what was happening.
For some reason he took credit for everything Luke did but I'm not sure if he was just did that to piss her off or not.

I thought that Kilgrave still had to be somewhere around the person to put them in his "range" where he could tell them to do stuff without it being directly his voice. (Like in the Hospital or the concert)

"You will act as if you are no longer in my control and report to me everything she does. Also tell her you forgive her and treat her like shit when I reveal you"

There
Oh, well that's that I guess.

Rhaknar

Basically he can either tell you one thing to do, like he usually does, or he can do a whole narrative for you to do. He did the narrative to Luke.

Its like if he told a abusive husband "you will now be super nice to your wife. And when she bakes exactly 3 blueberry pies you will stick a fork in your eye"

The husband would be super nice to his wife, he wouldnt say "heres some flowers honey but I hate that im doing this"

...until that faithful day she baked 3 pies instead of just 2 of course :p

Alright, just finished the show, please keep in mind that this is from someone with no background knowledge of the comics, I knew absolutely nothing of these characters going in.

In regards to the pacing, I felt the show probably should have been 10 episodes long, it felt a bit stretched out at the end. In addition, the 'final confrontation' was a goddamn joke, it had no weight to it at all. Kilgrave just randomly decides 'oh, she's not acting' out of nowhere and then goes to stand in arms reach. The character they established up until that point would have had Jessica rip someone's arm off to make sure she was actually under control. A smaller issue I had was the unrealistic aim of the police officers in that final battle. I know the 'bad guys' not being able to hit the broad side of a barn is one of the oldest cop-outs (pun intended) for lazy writers, but the show had actually been pretty realistic up until that point as far as firearm aim went.

In regards to Kilgrave, I really liked how they handled his character. You really get this sense of him maintaining a facade the entire time he's on screen, with the occasional cracks showing, where you get brief glimpses of his completely horrifying personality underneath. What I really wished was that he had a complete meltdown at some point, where you really saw first-hand how twisted he was, because they otherwise kept all the REALLY dark stuff off screen. With his power in the hands of a villain, he should have made me afraid or at least apprehensive every time he was on screen, but I was left more with the impression that he was just really whiny.

On a more positive note, Luke and Jessica had GREAT chemistry though. I believed their relationship 100%, at least until the more sappy stuff near the end which felt a little out of character for them to say those things out loud. I also liked the noir feeling of the beginning, which kind of slowly bled into being a thriller near the end, it was a pretty seamless tonal transition which I was impressed by and didn't notice happening at first.

The way the show handled it, (again, from a fresh introduction to the characters) I gathered from how Jessica became immune and how everyone acted, that Kilgrave's power primarily worked through the victim's psychology. Most people panic when they first get controlled, and immediately jump to the assumption that he controls every part of them, and they're too afraid to think clearly at first. Like, think about the moment with Trish trying to put the bullet in her head. The way the act was 'fulfilled' was a simple workaround, but Trish didn't think of that, Jessica did. When Kilgrave told Trish to do that, Trish understood what he MEANT, but didn't think of the specific wording and how to loophole it.

This holds true and helps explain most of the victim's actions, though there are a few exceptions. For example, since Hogarth was a cold, manipulative lawyer, it would've been better if you saw her show a little more of the loop-holing, along the lines of how she used Kilgrave's command to bring him to the ex-wife's house. It would have fit her character far better if the entire time he was controlling her, she was partially manipulating him, or at least annoying him with her interpretations of his commands.

I'm on about episode ten and this show went downhill hard about midway. None of the plans make any sense. The scene with the upstairs neighbor finding out about her brother had to have been the worst thing I've seen in a long time. The highs of this show are amazing, but the lows are incredibly low. It'll be a struggle to finish after this episode.

Rhaknar

I didnt mention but I also hate that they continue to feel the need to justify everything by science. Kilgrave's power is actually a virus that can be vaccinated? Lol

They never even actually explain how Jessica is suddenly immune. If it was like the comic, where its a willpower thing, it would make her resistance that more important because it meant she was finally stronger than him.

But no...its a virus that you are magically immune to. The more I think about the show the more bummed out I get, which didnt happen with DD :/

Dram

I enjoyed the show, but I think it would have been better if had been six or seven episodes instead of thirteen. It just seemed like the plot they had with Kilgrave was stretched out for too long and they needed a second enemy involved in the show. Also, was anyone else annoyed that Trish was set up to be this great fighter, but after she was nearly chocked to death all that was thrown away? It just seemed like she regressed and went backwards with her character development.

I didnt mention but I also hate that they continue to feel the need to justify everything by science. Kilgrave's power is actually a virus that can be vaccinated? Lol

They never even actually explain how Jessica is suddenly immune. If it was like the comic, where its a willpower thing, it would make her resistance that more important because it meant she was finally stronger than him.

But no...its a virus that you are magically immune to. The more I think about the show the more bummed out I get, which didnt happen with DD :/
She's under control way longer than anybody else. It's not unreasonable to think her body would learn to build up an immunity in that time.

Apt101

I finally got around to watching the first episode. It was OK. Maybe I should have tempered my expectations.

I really liked Ritter in Don't Trust... but not so much here. I can't put my finger on it exactly. It meandered as it established her isolation and paranoia and got the main plot rolling, maybe tighter writing could have helped there. In the end I felt like I watched about an hour of show that could have been easily and more effectively compressed into 30 minutes.

I liked all of the supporting cast, as briefly as each appeared. I love the look and general direction - shows like this always make me want to pack up and move to the big city. But it was the way they framed shots, used lighting, and transitions between scenes I really enjoyed. Whoever is responsible for that probably has a bright future ahead of them in more television and film.

I'll give it a few more episodes to see if I come around on it.

apd_ng

Just finished it!

Quite sad she didn't put on the suit as least once... Oh well

It was a great wrap up

Excited for whatever Marvel / Netflix has in-store for next year!

onipex

Like DD is just an okay show. Her powers suck. She can take a hit from a truck, get put through a wall, take hits from Luke and get up soon after but some skinny lady with a 2X4 can knock her out.

Kilgrave made the show and was the reason I stuck with it. Everyone else was a little boring or annoying. Like DD it should've been less episodes.

Maybe it's both?
The timing of her breaking free from him would suggest a psychological element being what tore her free and the fact they couldn't make a vaccine from her after all these decides of R&D would also suggest that this is something unique to her.

I feel the opposite, I'm finishing up my 2nd viewing (mostly casual in the background in chunks instead of banging it out in one go like the first time) and sooo many things make much more sense and are explained pretty damn well.

Like her not killing Kilgrave when she shows up at her house and tells her he got XYZ people to let Hope go. He points out that she doesn't know what will happen or what plays he has in motion under the circumstances of his death. Or how she doesn't kill him yet again at the meeting, she's holding out hope that she can do the heroic thing and put him in jail until Hope offs herself.

Still not sure about how Kilgrave got the woman to do the bomb thing if he was drugged. But maybe that's why they had that whole scene where she comes to breakfast, he could have simply talked to her and asked her to hand Simmons the bag and press that button without her knowing what would happen.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
My biggest problem was that she just didn't kill him after trying to take him in alive the first couple times, allowing him to destroy many more lives.

I get that she was guilty about Hope, but she was just racking up other tragedies along the way.

Alienous

That entire final sequence with Kilgrave (which was shit) would have been so much better with Luke instead of Jess's sister.

Yeah, including the kiss.

Pachimari

No need to apology, and I don't think you come off as ranting. I agree with everything said in this post. So much wasted potential, which is sad. What hurt most though is, that they killed off yet another villain.

Also, I'm happy I got this moment. Luke in his yellow shirt!

8Q07vvS.png

Alienous

Also, reading up on Purple Man in the comic books, I far prefer the pheromone explanation. It seems more appropriate than a virus. The idea that you'll basically almost lovingly want to do what the Purple Man suggests, rather than a mind virus.

AniHawk

Like her not killing Kilgrave when she shows up at her house and tells her he got XYZ people to let Hope go. He points out that she doesn't know what will happen or what plays he has in motion under the circumstances of his death. Or how she doesn't kill him yet again at the meeting, she's holding out hope that she can do the heroic thing and put him in jail until Hope offs herself.

i hated this. jessica is doing this one thing just for one person she feels responsible for, and then doesn't care about justice after that? i thought it was dumb. so many other people were affected by him and it takes hope dying to make her realize the guy has to die?

Still not sure about how Kilgrave got the woman to do the bomb thing if he was drugged. But maybe that's why they had that whole scene where she comes to breakfast, he could have simply talked to her and asked her to hand Simmons the bag and press that button without her knowing what would happen.

kilgrave was bothered by what the neighbor had said about jessica's family and that it had upset her. he was also not too crazy about simpson planting the bomb and knew he was around. jessica had been gone for quite a long time that day anyway, so he had plenty of time to set that all up. the neighbor would have blown up whether or not kilgrave was conscious.

zulux21

Also, reading up on Purple Man in the comic books, I far prefer the pheromone explanation. It seems more appropriate than a virus. The idea that you'll basically almost lovingly want to do what the Purple Man suggests, rather than a mind virus.

to be fair we have a single couple's research on stuff saying stuff.

He thinks it is a virus, it easily could have been pheromones instead.
he thinks he could make a vaccine from jessica, this is clearly proven wrong.
he obviously did figure out how to make him stronger, but that doesn't mean that the treatment didn't cause it from a different way than expected. (it was never a your x glad shoots stuff farther now, he had to go test to see what it was)

I mean I get the guy said he thought he could make a vaccine, but I don't get why everyone is hung up on that. it's pretty clear that jessica didn't have antibodies in her blood, that the reason she could resist him was because she was forced to do an act so against her personal code that she built a mental barrier in her head to make sure he could never do it again. Perhaps it's related to her super powers, perhaps it's merely strength of mind either way it wasn't some random antibody saving her it was her force of mind.

Gowans

I loved this, completely hammered and but Killgrave was the high point for me.

Gutted he is out now. Tennant is awesome.

I get the cons people have listed but for me I've really loved this, it's one of my fave things from Marvel.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Man that first episode is just overwhelmingly terrible, aside from the elevator scene. I can't believe it actually gets worse than that.

The dialogue ranges from stilted cardboard, to lazy ham-fisted exposition, to crappy attempts to establish intrigue by having Jessica speak about her past without any specifics in a way nobody actually communicates. The only scenes with decent dialogue I can remember were the flirtation at the bar and the first conversation with the parents.

I loved Kristen Ritter in Apt 23, but she does not pull off damaged or sardonic at all. Everything seems so "acted."

I can't for the life of me understand how people are engaged in this, and I love superhero shows and female-fronted Buffy/Veronica Mars/iZombie-style shows.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I love the look and general direction - shows like this always make me want to pack up and move to the big city. But it was the way they framed shots, used lighting, and transitions between scenes I really enjoyed. Whoever is responsible for that probably has a bright future ahead of them in more television and film.
It stood out to me too, I really dug the way a lot of scenes and transitions looked throughout. The background music was pretty good too, I'm looking forward to the soundtrack. I find neo-noir delightful and the atmosphere of the show just clicked for me.

I enjoyed it, not as much as DD but id give it a solid 7.

It just sucks that they killed off Kilgrave, he was probably the best aspect of the show.

Probably would have been too violent but it would have been poetic justice if Jessica had ripped his jaw off or crushed his face. Rather than kill him. At least he's still be around

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I enjoyed it, not as much as DD but id give it a solid 7.

It just sucks that they killed off Kilgrave, he was probably the best aspect of the show.

It does suck, but the way the series was structured, he had to die for Jessica to move on with her life. Also, local law enforcement would be ill equipped to detain him. Maybe if SHIELD was involved, they could effectively hold Kilgrave and dampen his powers.

Fuchsdh

So I finished yesterday.

I feel the biggest issue with it overall is that they had a 5 or 6 episode series that they inflated to 13. As people have said, the case-a-week stuff would have been a better pad-out than the "we captured Killgrave! We lost him! We captured him again! We put him in the Loki prison! He's going to escape" motions that we all can see coming.

I agree with others that Kilgrave was definitely the star. They did a great job of making him sympathetic, or at least understandable, while also showing how utterly monstrous he is. I was so happy that they faked us out with the "make Kilgrave the hero" thing because while that could have been fun to watch it would have been a really stupid character moment for Jones. Ultimately there's no teaching a guy like that how to treat people like people.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
That doesn't explain shit, an explosion of that size would definitely be stronger than a shotgun shell.

Overall, I did find myself liking this a hell lot more than Daredevil, not that Daredevil's ass. It's great. I don't really fuck with most of the side characters in general in either show, but I do like Rosario Dawson's character, and that used to be druggy.

I'm also curious who could be a villain for next season. Purple Man is the only villain I actually know of hers.

I'm looking forward to that Luke Cage show though.

a shotgun blast is more concentrated and targeted so it definitely can do more damage then a big explosion where the force is dispersed to many directions. like a punch can be more damaging then getting hit by a car, it all depends.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished. Thought the show was decent. Not as good as Daredevil, not as fun as SHIELD but I did like it better than Agent Carter. I believe it was probably a mistake to make Kilgrave the main focus of all 13 episodes as the plot to deal with him got really tiresome around episode 8 or so.

Slayven

I'm guessing that
1.he's not a mutant and
2.his involvement with Daredevil

is what gives Marvel/Disney rights to the character.

I am just glad Marvel loves it's back catalog and willing to go deep in the roster

D-Man is next, bet money on it

You know what was pretty unsettling? Simpson with those big dilated pupils and strange war face he had during his last couple of scenes. That actor did a good job at looking really tweaked out.

The number of times Kilgrave escapes is comical. Remind me of some old Looney Tunes.
How many times?

1) Penthouse. Makes sense IMO. Jessica freezes up, face to face with him again, and has to deal with the family

2) The botched capture. They didn't know he had a contingency plan

3) Police station

4) CDC safehouse. Everything went to shit. I think the build up to that moment worked

5) Jessica's apartment. This one was the stupidest, worse one, due to Robyn and the support group

Layell

I am frustrated she killed him, especially when most of the series was on how she couldn't kill him.

We as an audience still don't know if he had any innocent suiciders as a contingency plan in place, his powers were stronger than ever so he could have had tons of people brainwashed to off themselves, but that didn't matter now apparently. His death was slightly karmic but it would have been even better if he'd become so powerful and out of control that Jessica made him tell himself not to use his powers.

Overall I was happy with the show, but the finale kind of sucked. I'm very interested to see where Luke Cage and Daredevil Season 2 go from here. Fully expecting that Daredevil also got powers from IGH chemicals now.

Penguin

I am frustrated she killed him, especially when most of the series was on how she couldn't kill him.

We as an audience still don't know if he had any innocent suiciders as a contingency plan in place, his powers were stronger than ever so he could have had tons of people brainwashed to off themselves, but that didn't matter now apparently. His death was slightly karmic but it would have been even better if he'd become so powerful and out of control that Jessica made him tell himself not to use his powers.

Overall I was happy with the show, but the finale kind of sucked. I'm very interested to see where Luke Cage and Daredevil Season 2 go from here. Fully expecting that Daredevil also got powers from IGH chemicals now.

I think the suggestion at the end was once he was killed his powers no longer worked?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I feel the same way even though on paper, it's pretty logical how it plays out. Half the season you're invested in them trying to capture him and then it does a 180 and now he's marked for death.

I think I'd would've rather seen IGH do some extraordinary rendition on Kilgrave at the end.

Garlador

Yeah. A big part of the drama was "we can't kill him" and "i want him to live a long and miserable life in a cell" or something, while the guy who keeps going "we have to kill him" is dismissed and driven insane by how many times Kilgrave escapes and kills more innocents... all for Jessica to just shrug and go "okay, I'll kill him" in the finale.

It was disappointing, for sure, because for 90% of the series you're wondering how she'll stop him without killing him.

... My "theory" was that his powers would become so powerful, even he would have to do what he said, so he'd slip up and say something like "I can't live without you, Jessica"... and then realize he could never have her or something.

Top Bottom