• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Another disappointing Marvel Netflix finale. They really seem to lose their energy at the last moment and go out with a whimper.

- Huge whiff on not making Kilgrave go purple after the full injection. Thats what that scene seemed to suggest with the spread of veiny stuff. Really could have amped up his mania by making him look so obviously a freak and drive his insecurities into overdrive. Instead a total missed opportunity because some dullard probably said "too comic booky!!"

- Final encounter/throwdown was shit. Just more crap "everybodys fighting!!" rubbish and her jump across the boat dock station was terribly shot. Other than the Cage fights, this series had no idea what to do with action.

- The Ruben/Robyn stuff never really played out right. Trying to have the shows main comic relief then turn into its most grisly scenario is a bit of a writing bad-turn.

- They really fucked up the nature of Kilgrave's powers towards the end by going from it sounding like some airborne virus to trying earplugs/headphones for the first time. That made everyone in the preceding 12 episodes seem really really dumb if it was that easy all along.

All in all it was a fun ride, but am fully prepared for it to be the weakest of the Netflix series. But then they may make Luke Cage equally as boring.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Rosario Dawson was enough of a connection for me.
Me too. New York is a huge city with boroughs so it's not surprising if the heroes don't see each other.

Yeah, the efficacy of his powers also depends on people understanding him.

If no one has any context of what you're trying to convey... well...

6Sx7hWE.gif

Exactly. One gesture in one country can have a completely different meaning in another. Jessica should have hired someone who cannot understand English and hope purple man cannot speak more than one language.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
She and Luke can be Matts Bodyguards... Maybe someone tries to make Matts identity public (maybe a young photographer from a new york based Newspaper...) and he needs protection/uses it to hide his identity

I'm guessing Murdock and Nelson will be involved with the murder case for Hogarth's secretary/lover.

RedShift

I was trying to think last night of ways you could use Kilgrave's powers in a heroic way.

Hostage negotiation obviously. Maybe general police/vigilante work.

You could be a really good addiction therapist.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I was trying to think last night of ways you could use Kilgrave's powers in a heroic way.

Hostage negotiation obviously. Maybe general police/vigilante work.

You could be a really good addiction therapist.
I'd just end up having sex with a bunch of Asian guys living in a nice beach front property in California.

Johndoey

Banned
Another disappointing Marvel Netflix finale. They really seem to lose their energy at the last moment and go out with a whimper.

- Huge whiff on not making Kilgrave go purple after the full injection. Thats what that scene seemed to suggest with the spread of veiny stuff. Really could have amped up his mania by making him look so obviously a freak and drive his insecurities into overdrive. Instead a total missed opportunity because some dullard probably said "too comic booky!!"

- Final encounter/throwdown was shit. Just more crap "everybodys fighting!!" rubbish and her jump across the boat dock station was terribly shot. Other than the Cage fights, this series had no idea what to do with action.

- The Ruben/Robyn stuff never really played out right. Trying to have the shows main comic relief then turn into its most grisly scenario is a bit of a writing bad-turn.

- They really fucked up the nature of Kilgrave's powers towards the end by going from it sounding like some airborne virus to trying earplugs/headphones for the first time. That made everyone in the preceding 12 episodes seem really really dumb if it was that easy all along.

All in all it was a fun ride, but am fully prepared for it to be the weakest of the Netflix series. But then they may make Luke Cage equally as boring.

Except for having him turn purple I agree with all of this.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Two things:

1) Tell me I'm crazy: In episode 7, a lovely panorama of the Manhattan skyline.
Avengers Tower is missing. Right?

2) Kilgrave telling the hired help
that they can't blink
. So awesome. ;)

Garlador

Still not really sure how Jessica couldn't be controlled him anymore. Did I miss something?

It's really vague.

MY understanding was something "broke" when he told her to "take care" of Reva... but she CHOSE to kill her, so she had to make her own choice, which gave her a measure of control even in the midst of his power...

How that made her "immune" from that point forward, and why the whole subplot with a vaccine was entirely pointless, is another debate...

DeathyBoy

Banned
Still not really sure how Jessica couldn't be controlled him anymore. Did I miss something?

It's a combination of being immune to him after so long (they were together all the time 24/7), her will breaking his hold after he asked her to take a life and him being hit by the bus I'd imagine. The easy answer is 'power of love', but the truth is more complex. The flashback to the rooftop shows that she was subtly defying him long before that at any rate. And he was growing tired of controlling her vs her choosing to be with him.

Heck, doesn't he even say she was slower to figure out than he was?

( How that made her "immune" from that point forward, and why the whole subplot with a vaccine was entirely pointless, is another debate... )

The vaccine stuff was subtly done. Kilgrave's Dad sprays himself with it, it doesn't work, and they never mention it again. They could've sorted it, but the rushed deadline killed that idea.

Ophelion

It's a combination of being immune to him after so long (they were together all the time 24/7), her will breaking his hold after he asked her to take a life and him being hit by the bus I'd imagine. The easy answer is 'power of love', but the truth is more complex. The flashback to the rooftop shows that she was subtly defying him long before that at any rate. And he was growing tired of controlling her vs her choosing to be with him.

Yeah, I assumed she essentially built up an immunity to his influence like he was a poison.

I mean, if it is a virus emitted from his body, maybe she finally just built up immunity to him like you would any other virus.

Penguin

( How that made her "immune" from that point forward, and why the whole subplot with a vaccine was entirely pointless, is another debate... )

The vaccine stuff was subtly done. Kilgrave's Dad sprays himself with it, it doesn't work, and they never mention it again. They could've sorted it, but the rushed deadline killed that idea.

Was that what the rooftop scene implied? Thought it showed that she had a 12 second window where she wasn't under her control, he thought it was sweet she stayed...a nd she wanted to jump... and run away.

And think she didn't realize because only her second interaction with him.

Kilgrave was a smooth-talker when he needed to be!

DeathyBoy

Banned
Was that what the rooftop scene implied? Thought it showed that she had a 12 second window where she wasn't under her control, he thought it was sweet she stayed...a nd she wanted to jump... and run away.

And think she didn't realize because only her second interaction with him.

Kilgrave was a smooth-talker when he needed to be!

What I meant was that even after all that time, the second he turned it off she wanted to run. There was no lingering affection. Jessica was only stopped by her own self-loathing and refusal to save herself. In retrospect, S1 wasn't about Kilgrave at all - it was about Jessica reforming a connection with herself and humanity via Trish and, to a lesser extent, Malcolm and Luke Cage.

Jessica spent a season lying to herself/putting people at arms length... and only beat Kilgrave after making a selfless declaration of love to Trish, and then killing Kilgrave. Positing that she'd finally moved on. As shown by her casually killing him. Control or no control, he lost all of his power over her.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
They should do a one-shot of "The Misadventures of Kilgrave" and it's just short scenes where he mispoke.

"Oh, fuck me. Ah... stop, get away, get away!"

I love the disappointment in Kilgraves voice when he realizes Trish was a decoy.

"Ohhhhhhh! Its Patsy!"

/cue the Its Patsy theme song

HabeeNo

Just finished it, and I think I like it better than Daredevil. Jessica is never in control and for every right she tries to do, three wrongs happen. I LOVED PURPLE MAN, HE WAS THE PERFECT BALANCE OF A FUNNY, ASSHOLE PSYCHO

My only thought was what they used on the last episode: why not use headphones when an encounter with Killgrave would happen :(

Gotchaye

As someone who had no idea who Jessica Jones was before Netflix announced this, I generally enjoyed the show a lot. It was interesting to see a superhero show that wasn't about people fighting all the time.

Two big things that stood out to me as not very good:

A lot of the plotting felt very convenient, with people's actions not being properly motivated, with people making dumb mistakes that they shouldn't have made, etc. The obsession with capturing Kilgrave in order to produce a video proving that he's got powers is bizarre given the enormous number of people who can testify that he did something to them. I mean, Jones can even produce the man's parents who can explain how he got those powers!

That long section in the middle with Kilgrave reproducing Jones' childhood home and being creepily in love with her really did not work for me. It took away from Jones' story - the only reason she's in a position to make a difference is that he likes her too much to kill her, long past the time where that would have been the obviously right move for him. I think I would have much preferred a more generically-motivated villain obsessed with control in general or something, who wants to control Jones just because she's super-powered but who's scared that she's immune to his powers and so doesn't want to get close.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It's really vague.

MY understanding was something "broke" when he told her to "take care" of Reva... but she CHOSE to kill her, so she had to make her own choice, which gave her a measure of control even in the midst of his power...

How that made her "immune" from that point forward, and why the whole subplot with a vaccine was entirely pointless, is another debate...

Basically what I figured. Kind of disappointed it wasn't more clear cut (aka make sense), but whatever.

Johndoey

Banned
yah, she looks way too angry and uncomfortable to take any of her dialogue seriously.

Even if that's the intention for a comic-style it's overdone.
I can't figure out what your going for here.

Also I know super strength is hard to portray but holy shit the majority of the fights were her throwing someone them getting and her throwing them again. Sometimes through boxes.

Big Dog

Yeah, guys. She should totally smile more, am I right?

-_-

Ha. I think that their responses only provide more proof that Krysten played the part well. Clearly Jessica is not comfortable in any sort of social settings and doesn't trust people at all. For me her performance was awesome.

Toa TAK

Banned
yah, she looks way too angry and uncomfortable to take any of her dialogue seriously.

Even if that's the intention for a comic-style it's overdone.

Kilgrave's GAF account?

But no, that's just who she is. She's an angry woman and she really is set in a constant state of discomfort even before the events of the show. Hell, it's why her home is 80% alcohol.

EDIT: There you go^^^^ lol

Ophelion

Kilgrave's GAF account?

But no, that's just who she is. She's an angry woman and she really is set in a constant state of discomfort even before the events of the show. Hell, it's why her home is 80% alcohol.

EDIT: There you go^^^^ lol

Oh, man I totally almost made that joke. Thank you for going there.

Johndoey

Banned
As someone who had no idea who Jessica Jones was before Netflix announced this, I generally enjoyed the show a lot. It was interesting to see a superhero show that wasn't about people fighting all the time.

Two big things that stood out to me as not very good:

A lot of the plotting felt very convenient, with people's actions not being properly motivated, with people making dumb mistakes that they shouldn't have made, etc. The obsession with capturing Kilgrave in order to produce a video proving that he's got powers is bizarre given the enormous number of people who can testify that he did something to them. I mean, Jones can even produce the man's parents who can explain how he got those powers!

That long section in the middle with Kilgrave reproducing Jones' childhood home and being creepily in love with her really did not work for me. It took away from Jones' story - the only reason she's in a position to make a difference is that he likes her too much to kill her, long past the time where that would have been the obviously right move for him. I think I would have much preferred a more generically-motivated villain obsessed with control in general or something, who wants to control Jones just because she's super-powered but who's scared that she's immune to his powers and so doesn't want to get close.

Yeah an issue with the Kilgrave stuff is he isn't careful about using his abilities and people automatically know if he is controlling them so the struggle for proof is weird.

Also Age of Ultron has probably occurred by now in universe so the refusal to even consider the possibility of mind control is silly. I get reluctance but still it's a bit too much.

rude, a much nicer loking girl could have played this part, her personality should come from within not just be a result of her face.
Yeah, because actress can only show a characters personality if she is pretty.

Didn't you guys know that? Its acting 101....

the actress is pretty, looks are subjective and regardless her looks have 0 impact on her acting

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Two things:

They did this in Daredevil as well.
They say that it's too expensive to CGI in the building, which is fine, but then stop showing it! Avengers Tower is the big defining feature that separates the skyline of the MCU with our own. It bugs me every time.

KarmaCow

Literally just finished so I really haven't had time to digest it but this kinda stood the most for me in the finale. The whole explanation of his powers fell flat, it was kinda a mistake to try via an airborne "virus", especially when they had it negated by loud music at the last minute.

I'm not sure if I can properly evaluate the shows right now but it seems hard for this to be below Daredevil right now. I was not expecting this storyline at all but I have no experience with the source material.

Macka

I enjoyed the first eight episodes for the most part, but the quality really drops off after that point imo. I echo all of the comments that this should have been 10 episodes max.

I didn't like any of the secondary characters bar Trish tbh.
- The twins were the worst. Ruben was awkward and unfunny, while Robyn was terribly annoying and her reaction to Ruben's disappearance/death didn't make any sense at all.
- Malcolm going from junkie next-door-neighbour to support group leader, occasional motivational speaker and general good samaritan overnight was clunky as hell. Nothing he does is interesting or particularly relevant to the plot.
- Hogarth is a terrible character, and not in a good way. Way too much time was spent on the divorce subplot, which it seems was only included as a way to give Hogarth the (still ridiculously stupid) motivation to free Kilgrave. Also, the only reason I can see for the character being gender-swapped into a woman for the show is so they could have a lesbian couple as part of the supporting cast? I mean clearly this is a very feminist show (which is good!), but this felt like someone ticking off a checklist to me, especially given how utterly irrelevant Pam is to the plot.

Just to clarify - in episode 13 - Jessica's pretending to follow the "kill each other" command, right? And that's why Kilgrave is sceptical of her, because she works her way through the crowd of people and knocks some out?

Also Jessica's lack of action when Kilgrave takes Patsy is what leads to him trusting that she's under his influence?

That's the impression I got but I'm the sort of guy who goes to Wikipedia after the show/movie to confirm these sorts of things. lol

OmegaFax

Two things:

2) Kilgrave telling the hired help
that they can't blink
. So awesome. ;)

I was looking for it, too. I chalked it up to someone not wanting an overbearing amount of references. There were a few Avengers references in Jessica Jones ... like the child dressed up as Captain America playing in the park, a few Hulk references, and Hogarth saying something about the Chitauri attack on New York. I think the problem is that if you reference them too much, then it becomes a question of whether or not they come in to handle it. I guess practically, they're trying to establish there's a lot of working pieces to the MCU. Eh, strangely enough, looking out Hogarth's window, I assumed her office might have been on a lower level of the building.

KarmaCow

Just to clarify - in episode 13 - Jessica's pretending to follow the "kill each other" command, right? And that's why Kilgrave is sceptical of her, because she works her way through the crowd of people and knocks some out?

Also Jessica's lack of action when Kilgrave takes Patsy is what leads to him trusting that she's under his influence?

That's the impression I got but I'm the sort of guy who goes to Wikipedia after the show/movie to confirm these sorts of things. lol

She was trying to stop them by knocking them out initially but realises she can't stop them from killing each other and get Killgrave at the same time, so she just goes after him. He realises this and puts an end to the fight out of frustration (and gets all veiny) and Jessica fakes it then.

Top Bottom