• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

You know what was pretty unsettling? Simpson with those big dilated pupils and strange war face he had during his last couple of scenes. That actor did a good job at looking really tweaked out.

He actually creeped me out more than Kilgrave during those scenes. Great acting and writing for that character.

jmood88

Yeah. A big part of the drama was "we can't kill him" and "i want him to live a long and miserable life in a cell" or something, while the guy who keeps going "we have to kill him" is dismissed and driven insane by how many times Kilgrave escapes and kills more innocents... all for Jessica to just shrug and go "okay, I'll kill him" in the finale.

It was disappointing, for sure, because for 90% of the series you're wondering how she'll stop him without killing him.

... My "theory" was that his powers would become so powerful, even he would have to do what he said, so he'd slip up and say something like "I can't live without you, Jessica"... and then realize he could never have her or something.
She didn't just shrug and decide to kill him; the one reason she kept him alive was to save Hope and prove that he is powers were real but she kept seeing that she had to kill him or he would keep doing what he was doing. Killing him was the only thing that made sense.

Just finished the show. Overall I enjoyed it.

Some off-the-cuff thoughts:

- Casting was great, can't think of anyone who bugged me.

- Set design/wardrobe/etc were great. I mention this because Jessica looked like she badly needed a shower throughout the proceedings, which added to the characterization. Her apartment was also appropriately designed for her character.

- I'd agree with anyone who contends that the series, like Daredevil, jumps into the main plot too soon. Instead watching patterns form through Jessica taking cases as a PI, we're immediately introduced to what is practically her only client (a la Karen Page) and her adversary (though Kilgrave was so damn charismatic I can see why the creators would want him introduced quickly).

- The problem that arises with Kilgrave's early intro is that we got too much of a good thing. By the time episode 10 rolled around I was sick of hearing characters argue about mind-control.

- The developments with Simpson were a decent interlude when the show needed a little distraction, while still keeping with the mind-control theme (pills).

- Keeping with the theme of control, it was a nice subversion of expectations when they imply that Jessica is stronger than Luke.

- The action was fairly tepid until the two slugfests between Jessica/Simpson & Jessica/Cage. Having an unfazed Jessica constantly returning home after it's destruction was enjoyable.

- The superpower stuff worked fine. I think it's better to keep it's usage vague than having cheap CGI.

- Living in a world of super-soldiers, thundergods and aliens would make me more skeptical of concepts like mind-control, not less.

- I love that Jessica Jones killed Kilgrave. There was no practical reason to keep him alive, especially after attempting rehabilitation w/ the hostages and redemption with his partents/Hope. That's more consideration than he realistically deserved, but the show did a good job of conveying that Jessica Jones isn't a stone-cold killer and doesn't take the deed lightly, while also teasing that a part of Jessica might have held some feelings for him.

- Having Daredevil show up would have been a mistake. Glad that the creators restrained themselves from adding him in. Having a one-in-a-billion encounter with Claire was already a massive coincidence.

Garlador

She didn't just shrug and decide to kill him; the one reason she kept him alive was to save Hope and prove that he is powers were real but she kept seeing that she had to kill him or he would keep doing what he was doing. Killing him was the only thing that made sense.

Disagree, because when he was in her apartment he outright says "the reason you won't kill me is you don't know what happens after I'd die" and saying their might be hundreds if not thousands of suicides as a fail-safe should she go through with it.

He was still saying "you don't know how many others I have control over" ready and waiting to die for him.

jmood88

Disagree, because when he was in her apartment he outright says "the reason you won't kill me is you don't know what happens after I'd die" and saying their might be hundreds if not thousands of suicides as a fail-safe should she go through with it.

That was after Hope died and he was still saying "you don't know how many others I have control over" ready and waiting to die for him.
She had to have known that he was just bluffing to keep her from hurting him (much like some abusers will claim that they'll hurt/kill themselves if their partner leaves them). Even if that was the case and he had a bunch of people waiting to commit suicide if he died, it still would've been worth it. He had been ruining people's lives from the moment he realized he could control others and he was never going to stop.

3rdman

- I love that Jessica Jones killed Kilgrave. There was no practical reason to keep him alive, especially after attempting rehabilitation w/ the hostages and redemption with his partents/Hope. That's more consideration than he realistically deserved, but the show did a good job of conveying that Jessica Jones isn't a stone-cold killer and doesn't take the deed lightly, while also teasing that a part of Jessica might have held some feelings for him.
I disagree. Personally I had this idea that she would literally rip out his tongue and keep him alive...It would have spared her from having to kill anyone again. Clearly she was traumatized by killing Reva and after watching so many die because of her, it seemed she deserved the right to have no more blood on her hands.

Still, this wasn't a deal breaker for me...I really enjoyed it all even with the poor ending.

Mr Git

Really enjoyed it overall despite sometimes terrible dialogue. Main takeaways were *jesus, so much banging* and at least until the last episode wondering why JJ only had one pair of jeans.

jmood88

I disagree. Personally I had this idea that she would literally rip out his tongue and keep him alive...It would have spared her from having to kill anyone again. Clearly she was traumatized by killing Reva and after watching so many die because of her, it seemed she deserved the right to have no more blood on her hands.

Still, this wasn't a deal breaker for me...I really enjoyed it all even with the poor ending.
She wasn't traumatized over killing Riva simply because she killed her, she was traumatized over being forced to kill an innocent person.

Just finished the show. Overall I enjoyed it.

Some off-the-cuff thoughts:

- Casting was great, can't think of anyone who bugged me.

- Set design/wardrobe/etc were great. I mention this because Jessica looked like she badly needed a shower throughout the proceedings, which added to the characterization. Her apartment was also appropriately designed for her character.

- I'd agree with anyone who contends that the series, like Daredevil, jumps into the main plot too soon. Instead watching patterns form through Jessica taking cases as a PI, we're immediately introduced to what is practically her only client (a la Karen Page) and her adversary (though Kilgrave was so damn charismatic I can see why the creators would want him introduced quickly).

- The problem that arises with Kilgrave's early intro is that we got too much of a good thing. By the time episode 10 rolled around I was sick of hearing characters argue about mind-control.

- The developments with Simpson were a decent interlude when the show needed a little distraction, while still keeping with the mind-control theme (pills).

- Keeping with the theme of control, it was a nice subversion of expectations when they imply that Jessica is stronger than Luke.

- The action was fairly tepid until the two slugfests between Jessica/Simpson & Jessica/Cage. Having an unfazed Jessica constantly returning home after it's destruction was enjoyable.

- The superpower stuff worked fine. I think it's better to keep it's usage vague than having cheap CGI.

- Living in a world of super-soldiers, thundergods and aliens would make me more skeptical of concepts like mind-control, not less.

- Having Daredevil show up would have been a mistake. Glad that the creators restrained themselves from adding him in. Having a one-in-a-billion encounter with Claire was already a massive coincidence.

Agree with these thoughts 100%

Very nice write up man!

Looks like the backlash is starting for Jessica Jones.

I knew there would be some... Makes sense

Its not a perfect show. Daredevil wasnt either (it was in my mind though lol)

I think most people recognize that its still pretty good and it is interesting to analyze its flaws and triumphs

She wasn't traumatized over killing Riva simply because she killed her, she was traumatized over being forced to kill an innocent person.

Agreed. And as you said, the suicide bluff and Hope's incarceration were the only things causing Jessica to hesitate killing Kilgrave. Hell, she would have put a boot on him after Riva if she hadn't thought him dead by the bus crash.

You may be splitting hairs here with mutilation vs. death. Both lead to Kilgrave being neutralized but snapping his neck is much less gruesome than pulling his tounge out. I can't really see Jessica as capable of doing that as a character. Plus I wouldn't want to see her do as an viewer no matter how satisfying the irony would be.

Agree with these thoughts 100%

Very nice write up man!

Thanks!

She had to have known that he was just bluffing to keep her from hurting him (much like some abusers will claim that they'll hurt/kill themselves if their partner leaves them). Even if that was the case and he had a bunch of people waiting to commit suicide if he died, it still would've been worth it. He had been ruining people's lives from the moment he realized he could control others and he was never going to stop.

No, it's a valid reason. No one knew if killing him would shut down the commands he gave out and at that time she had Hope's freedom so close to being realized.

I do think she figured she would at least knock him out and tie him up to go along with the plan to press charges though.

I don't hear enough talk about this.

The set design and lighting were fucking great! I loooved how in contrast to Kilgrave both Trish and Luke were surrounded in heavy yellow. That's one thing that really stood out to me.

Expected. Can you share some of it?

Wouldn't call it a backlash, just not everyone's cup of tea. Many on gaf went in expecting DD2 but got a story about JJ.

Got done, Liked it for the most part. Would give it a 8/10.

They way they killed Kilgrave was meh though. He couldve tested her a number of ways, but he goes with the "If I threaten to kidnap/rape Trish and kiss her without getting a response from Jessica, she is under my control." Like..........really. How about testing it out and have her killing a dozen people or something.

Also, can someone in the know with the comic book let me in on the references in the series or point to a link with them listed?

Heard on a podcast Trish pose to be Hellcat or something.
Simpson/IGH angles - what are they?
Jeri is head of Heroes for hire?
==========
I'm assuming I missed a lot more. Is there anything up with the other kids in the Kilgrave lab videos?

When jessica and Simpson were fighting and the glass on the door broke, I went "No!, she just got it replaced!"LOL I enjoyed the little callbacks the show had, like showing the guy standing in front of the fence and not able to speak.

Edit: Also, more Kilgrave T_T

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Also, can someone in the know with the comic book let me in on the easter eggs in the series or point to a link with them listed?

Heard on a podcast Trish pose to be Hellcat or something.
Simpson/IGH angles - what are they?
Jeri is head of Heroes for hire?
==========
I'm assuming I missed a lot more. Is there anything up with the other kids in the Kilgrave lab videos?
The Patsy (Trish) Walker being Hellcat and Simpson being Nuke are pretty obvious references. Wouldn't really call them easter eggs.

The only one I remember is Jessica mentioning Angela Del Toro as a PI referral.

Think the kids will just come back to haunt them in the next season. I'd have to rewatch it but I don't think there was anything in particular that is call out to something else.

The Patsy (Trish) Walker being Hellcat and Simpson being Nuke are pretty obvious references. Wouldn't really call them easter eggs.

The only one I remember is Jessica mentioning Angela Del Toro as a PI referral.

Think the kids will just come back to haunt them in the next season. I'd have to rewatch it but I don't think there was anything in particular that is call out to something else.
Thanks, yea references would be the better word.

Chariot

Looks like the backlash is starting for Jessica Jones.
That what they call differing opinions nowadays? There is plenty of critique and people that didn't enjoy it that much, but there are plenty positive posts too, not like everyone likes every series and every kind of series.

Penguin

So question about Purple Man's power... is it a time or suggestion thing?

They mention like a few times that you need to be away from him for 12 hours for the effects to wear off, but we saw situations (like the dude outside the club) where even after 12 hours were still doing his bidding?

Johndoey

Banned
I liked the show overall but I gotta admit the whole Simpson thing whiffed for me along with the majority of the divorce content and Hope. Also I was hoping they wouldn't ice Kilgrave but eh. As expected Tennant was easily my favorite part of the show and it was good to see discount Night Nurse again.

They mention like a few times that you need to be away from him for 12 hours for the effects to wear off, but we saw situations (like the dude outside the club) where even after 12 hours were still doing his bidding?
The treatments his pops was giving him were upping his power levels so wall guy got hit when his abilities were lasting for 24hrs.

Garlador

I think the point of that was to show his powers were lasting longer and longer, which ties into how Luke was still controlled after 12 hours.

Penguin

I liked the show overall but I gotta admit the whole Simpson thing whiffed for me along with the majority of the divorce content and Hope. Also I was hoping they wouldn't ice Kilgrave but eh. As expected Tennant was easily my favorite part of the show and it was good to see discount Night Nurse again.

The treatments his pops was giving him were upping his power levels so wall guy got hit when his abilities were lasting for 24hrs.

Even then it was 16 hours... and it appeared that it had been at least a full day, but noted.

Johndoey

Banned
This show had the exact same issue I had with Daredevil it started running out of steam in the last two or three episodes. And the fights in this show are awful.

Ophelion

The best thing MCU has done IMO. Excellent, excellent show. And good GOD did I clap when Jessica killed Kilgrave.

Only dimmed slightly by the fact that it means that we're not likely to ever get more Kilgrave, seeing as how he's probably the best realized and most monstrous villain the MCU has yet produced. I was very pleased for Jessica, but as someone who knows how rare a truly great antagonist is, I was despondent.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Only dimmed slightly by the fact that it means that we're not likely to ever get more Kilgrave, seeing as how he's probably the best realized and most monstrous villain the MCU has yet produced. I was very pleased for Jessica, but as someone who knows how rare a truly great antagonist is, I was despondent.

Eh, S1 did EVERYTHING they could've done with Kilgrave.

Teased him being a better man... went into his backstory... had Jessica live with him to stop him hurting others... had him grow stronger... had him mind control a hero. Like they blitzed through seasons of content.

Incidentally - Tennant being all 'YAY, HEROISM' was fucking hilarious.

Flip4k

I agree that it was best that he didn't show up, but calling this a one in a billion chance is a stretch. They're both in Hell's Kitchen, which isn't a giant neighborhood, and news of Kilgrave's actions were pretty wide spread, especially considering he was talked about on a popular radio show. DD was probably busy taking care of his own business, but it wouldn't have been that far fetched to expect him to investigate some reports himself and run into JJ.

Malyse

I agree that it was best that he didn't show up, but calling this a one in a billion chance is a stretch. They're both in Hell's Kitchen, which isn't a giant neighborhood, and news of Kilgrave's actions were pretty wide spread, especially considering he was talked about on a popular radio show. DD was probably busy taking care of his own business, but it wouldn't have been that far fetched to expect him to investigate some reports himself and run into JJ.
Rosario Dawson was enough of a connection for me.

Luke is in Daredevil season 2, they posted some teaser that showed his bar. Since it got blown up, I wonder if DD season 2 will be set at the same time as JJ? Or he could reopen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Let's be honest, I assume the real answer is that they didn't want to pay the Daredevil actor to show up. lol

Well, that and it would have been a huge distraction anyway. At least Luke Cage is almost intrinsically linked to Jessica Jones so it makes sense his "origin story" is a part of this show.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I have a question on Purple man's powers. Can he only control people that understand English. Can he control a non-English speaking person if they do not understand his commands?

Eidan

I have a question on Purple man's powers. Can he only control people that understand English. Can he control a non-English speaking person if they do not understand his commands?
I assume his powers are limited by people's ability to understand him, either verbally or visually. The show made it clear that he is very deliberate in what he instructs. One can assume that if the person can't speak English, his command would, understandably, mean nothing.

Ophelion

They're just compelled to obey his verbal commands and there's no psychic component to it, so I'd say if they didn't speak English and he had no way to convey his intent, his powers would be useless. An interesting experiment is if such a person was coming toward him and he held up his hands and yelled, "Stop!" would the gesture be enough for his powers to kick in?

Johndoey

Banned
It's sometimes possible to understand intent without comprehension of the language itself so maybe simple commands stop, move stuff like that could work.

I assume his powers are limited by people's ability to understand him, either verbally or visually. The show made it clear that he is very deliberate in what he instructs. One can assume that if the person can't speak English, his command would, understandably, mean nothing.
Heh would have loved a post-credits encounter with The Hand if he'd survived.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Yeah, the efficacy of his powers also depends on people understanding him.

If no one has any context of what you're trying to convey... well...

6Sx7hWE.gif

Top Bottom