• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Chariot

There's something I feel was kind of off about the show.

Trish's blindspot with Simpson. Simpson was a sexist and honestly racist dude from the start. I get her not being there when he was being a POS to Malcolm and others, but she could tell straight up during his conversations with her and Jessica that he wasn't that great of a guy.
Come on, the thing with Malcom could've been racist, but it also could've been general paranoia regarding Kilgrave (which was the actual point of the scene) and Jessica certainly knows this. I think he looked like a okay guy before he went off the grid.
I thought for sure Simpson was going to have a 'Super Soldier Programme' reveal.

He seemed more like Captain America than Captain America.
You're actually on point here.

Come on, the thing with Malcom could've been racist, but it also could've been general paranoia regarding Kilgrave (which was the actual point of the scene) and Jessica certainly knows this. I think he looked like a okay guy before he went off the grid.You're actually on point here.

Yea....I think Simpson just got mind wrecked by Kilgrave and went off the deep end. To me I saw it as a downward spiral and he just kept getting worse and worse. He needed to kill Kilgrave. I think it's reasonable when someone mindfucks you to tell you to kill yourself and you're convinced you killed someone else.

jmood88

Simpson in general was all over the place for me. He started off as just another sympathetic victim and a good guy cop trying to do the right thing... but he went off the rails almost at random, and him going around blasting up his fellow police officers for doing their jobs and trying to murder the woman that saved his life felt like a "kick the dog" moment for him that was inconsistent with the person we met at the start of the series.

... And then, of course, Jessica just proves his point and decides to kill Kilgrave instead of capturing him, which was what he was advocating practically from the start. It was a poor character arc for both of them, in my opinion,
It seemed obvious that he had issues that we weren't privy to (and that they may go into in a second season or in Daredevil), which was why he ended up losing his mind. It seemed like he was a guy who became a cop to get away from the weird secret military organization he was with, then Kilgrave fucked everything up and he decided that he had to go back to that quasi-legal world.

jackdoe

It really did become tiring when the show became a rinse and repeat cycle of finding Kilgrave, outwitting and capturing him, followed by him escaping. When the noose brigade foiled Jessica, I nearly had enough. Luckily, there weren't enough episodes left for the cycle to repeat in full.

Jeri's plot thread was also very, very tiring and it felt like the only reason she was included in the show was to be the punchline for Kilgrave's second escape.

Sounds great, why not? Stupid fighting can I have in the movies.

But in the end, nobody from the producer or the movies will care what happened in a bad tie-in Comic.
regardless, you don't need to turn to a tie in comic to tell that a lot of people wanted to have a simple cameo.

What was the purpose of the Patsy distraction at the dock? Jessica gets spotted behind her and gets cornered, blowing Jessica's stealth advantage.

CoryCubed

Unfamiliar with the comics, but would it be to much of a stretch that the virus and stem cells that enchanced his powers could repair the damage in his body and bring him back? (I know retcons and shit but for MCU some might be too farfetched)

AniHawk

Unfamiliar with the comics, but would it be to much of a stretch that the virus and stem cells that enchanced his powers could repair the damage in his body and bring him back? (I know retcons and shit but for MCU some might be too farfetched)

i believe his mind control in the comics was to the point where he could make people see things that weren't really there. if he was seriously than enhanced, he could have maybe made jessica think he'd had her snap his neck. but then all that stuff with her being in the office with malcom would be a hallucination too.

Superhero Sherlock Holmes was maybe a bad way to put it but I would have liked to see more of Jessica doing her PI work rather than focus a whole season on Purple Man.

I liked the episode when she teamed up with Luke to find a missing person for example. We needed more of those.

FartOfWar

Banned
Remember Jessica is super strong, not super resistant like Luke is. Seeing a lot of people complaining about how low her resistance is around here and I don't get it. You guys seem to think just because she can bend rubarb with her hands that she can also be hit in the face with it and get up just fine. Just because she can deal damage doesn't mean she can take it also.

I can't remember who Robin is right now (I think it's the twin girl but idk) remember she hit her in the head with a piece of wood. That would knock anyone with human level resistance out.
Bend rhubarb though? I dont think anyone in the MCU is that strong. Maybe Slayven would know?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought the show was good (aside from the whole Hogarth subplot) until Kilgrave gets captured and the entire series of events that happened afterward.

Like others have said, lots of wasted potential.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Bend rhubarb though? I dont think anyone in the MCU is that strong. Maybe Slayven would know?

Shit if she could bend rhubarb she'd be damn near unstoppable.

R49sogf.jpg

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't like about her power set is that it doesn't make sense for her to not have some kind of super human invulnerability or regeneration. She's jumping off really tall buildings and landing just fine. Super strength doesn't let that happen. She should be dead due to how they're showcasing her lack of toughness. She keeps getting hit by regular people and reacting like a normal person. That's fine, IF they don't continue to show her doing other things (like falling great heights) and being ok. From the looks of it, Cage is actually a better hero than she is due to his unbreakable skin and enhanced strength levels. It's not ruining the show for me at all (just finished ep 10), but it's just one of those things they should've detailed a bit better or explained.

What I don't like about her power set is that it doesn't make sense for her to not have some kind of super human invulnerability or regeneration. She's jumping off really tall buildings and landing just fine. Super strength doesn't let that happen. She should be dead due to how they're showcasing her lack of toughness. She keeps getting hit by regular people and reacting like a normal person. That's fine, IF they don't continue to show her doing other things (like falling great heights) and being ok. From the looks of it, Cage is actually a better hero than she is due to his unbreakable skin and enhanced strength levels. It's not ruining the show for me at all (just finished ep 10), but it's just one of those things they should've detailed a bit better or explained.

She has sub-par flight, not sure why her healing abilities would be great. Cage is definitely a more capable hero than she is, but he's not using it to his full potential.

Malyse

Spoiler question.

Do you think they leaned too hard on the "Bury your gays" trope? I mean, we saw three same sex couples: penthouse men, lawyer/doctor, lawyer/secretary. Penthouse man gets killed, Lawyer gets cut the fuck up, Doctor gets head bashed in, Secretary is off to jail for bashing in said doctor head. As an aside, they also punish the potentially/implied incestous relationship by carving him like a turkey and almost force suiciding her. Nothing much for the straights normal crew, but I think Luke and Jess are the only other couple shown. Oh, and Trish and Nuke, but they survive too.

Spoiler question.

Do you think they leaned too hard on the "Bury your gays" trope? I mean, we saw three same sex couples: penthouse men, lawyer/doctor, lawyer/secretary. Penthouse man gets killed, Lawyer gets cut the fuck up, Doctor gets head bashed in, Secretary is off to jail for bashing in said doctor head. As an aside, they also punish the potentially/implied incestous relationship by carving him like a turkey and almost force suiciding her. Nothing much for the straights normal crew, but I think Luke and Jess are the only other couple shown. Oh, and Trish and Nuke, but they survive too.
na, I don't think so. I think they just showed the gay couples to show that it's become a conformity in society in the modern age. Similar to how they often change characters to be black. Speaking of which, that they made Hogarth into a woman and a lesbian.

kirblar

na, I don't think so. I think they just showed the gay couples to show that it's become a conformity in society in the modern age. Similar to how they often change characters to be black. Speaking of which, that they made Hogarth into a woman and a lesbian.
Hogarth definitely required the gender swap, character would have beating a dead horse as male, having her be a woman makes it clear that they're not saying asshole behavior is limited to dudes.

Hogarth definitely required the gender swap, character would have beating a dead horse as male, having her be a woman makes it clear that they're not saying asshole behavior is limited to dudes.
i'm not saying whether it was right or wrong to do it. just explaining that it's supposed to exemplify a proaction for nowadays.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My biggest complaint with JJ is the writers tried to cram too much into one season. I didn't think much of it in the first episode, but it continued throughout the series, especially later on. I started to really lose interest at the end because of how much they throw at you. The pacing is way different from Daredevil. There was a lot going on with many bodies left around without real follow up and poor planning on Jessica's part. The writers did an excellent job creating a hero who you wanted to root for but at the same time questioned and became uncomfortable with her actions at the cost of rarely anyone standing up to her when she's being stupid. The back and forth of having Kilgrave in her reach went on too much. It made the ending especially disappointing to me since it felt like the stakes were much higher before.

I thought the cast did a great job, except for maybe the guy who played Will. The guy was such a douche all along Trish falling for him felt unnatural. I think the directing and production values were solid. It was a fun ride but no where close to the compact and better managed Daredevil.

My biggest complaint with JJ is the writers tried to cram too much into one season. I didn't think much of it in the first episode, but it continued throughout the series, especially later on. I started to really lose interest at the end because of how much they throw at you. The pacing is way different from Daredevil. There was a lot going on with many bodies left around without real follow up and poor planning on Jessica's part. The writers did an excellent job creating a hero who you wanted to root for but at the same time questioned and became uncomfortable were her actions at the cost of rarely anyone standing up to her when she's being stupid. The back and forth of having Kilgrave in her reach went on too much. It made the ending especially disappointing to me since it felt like the stakes were much higher before.

I thought the cast did a great job, except for maybe the guy who played Will. The guy was such a douche all along Trish falling for him felt unnatural. I think the directing and production values were solid. It was a fun ride but no where close to the compact and better managed Daredevil.
the pacing was way way WAYYYY better in daredevil. that might be one of the show's biggest flaws.

I hate how they leave her origin to late in the season. Should have been sprinkling those flashbacks earlier. Then again, there wasn't much to them so I guess I can see why.

There's something I feel was kind of off about the show.

Trish's blindspot with Simpson. Simpson was a sexist and honestly racist dude from the start. I get her not being there when he was being a POS to Malcolm and others, but she could tell straight up during his conversations with her and Jessica that he wasn't that great of a guy.

I mean that's kind of how love/lust works. You don't see just how ain't shit someone is until they do something that snaps you out of it...for Trish it was dude throwin her into a wall like she was nothing.

I hate how they leave her origin to late in the season. Should have been sprinkling those flashbacks earlier. Then again, there wasn't much to them so I guess I can see why.
i guess they just hinted at the jewel thing as well and although she says "been there done that", her first encounter with purple man wasn't in her jewel suit, and we never see her wear it.

At least they exist. Try to count middle easterns that aren't mooks and east asians in general. I think Daredevil got more eastasians in relatively bigger roles than the rest of the MCU together.
but even none of those characters were main ones. just supporting.

actually, gao was probably sort of a main character. nobu wasn't.

Ugh. I hate what they did with Killgrave. Maybe it was true to the comics I wouldn't know, but that doesn't make me like it more. Hearing about him, plus his reveal at the end of episode 3 or 4 where you don't even see his face and he just orders that family around, that was so awesome. As soon as he got Jessica to her old house it was all downhill. He just loved her the whole time? So lame. And what was up with stopping that hostage situation and the brief idea about him and Jessica teaming up? That sure went nowhere.

And if he really hated his parents so bad it's weird that he waited until him mom stabbed him to turn on them.

Why exactly was Jessica immune? Was killing Reva an anti virus? That doesn't make any sense.

Oh and I didn't really buy that whole Hope thing. Like she was the whole reason JJ didn't just fuck Kilgrave up right away. But it should not have taken until Hope killed herself for her to realize that it just wasn't worth it. I was never really sold on the whole basis of the show. And the Hope thing ended up going nowhere anyway.

Speaking of things that go nowhere, why did we have that subplot about Hobarth and her lover and ex-wife? That was just weird and pointless.

Hobarth was badly written too. Supposed to be this selfish bitch. And apparently didn't give a damn about Hope. And yet she was constantly at JJ's beck and call, and dropped everything she was doing several times to try and help Hope. I didn't buy that.

Luke Cage was cool. JJ was alright.

The first few episodes had me very intrigued but overall I think I'm disappointed. Especially with Killgrave. I think they could have done way better with him.

Remember Jessica is super strong, not super resistant like Luke is. Seeing a lot of people complaining about how low her resistance is around here and I don't get it. You guys seem to think just because she can bend rubarb with her hands that she can also be hit in the face with it and get up just fine. Just because she can deal damage doesn't mean she can take it also.

I can't remember who Robin is right now (I think it's the twin girl but idk) remember she hit her in the head with a piece of wood. That would knock anyone with human level resistance out.

She has greater-than-human resistance and she heals super fast but she's not invulnerable.

She gets hit by a truck in a sleep deprived state and is able to walk home with just 2 broken ribs or something. When the guys took Kilgrave from the van they show us some important details. It takes ONE rod zap to shut down Trish, a female of JJ's size. It took ONE zap to take down of the the guards attacking them, a large man. Simmons wasn't taken down by one zap, he's not normal ... but he didn't take more than 1 zap.

Took a group of dudes zapping her countless times to keep her from getting up and even then she didn't faint.

She can jump from great heights without getting hurt. Yeah, she's not bullet proof like Luke but she's stronger and can still take damage normal humans can't.

Pachimari

We don't know for sure if Will Simmons and Luke Cage are made from the same super soldier serum as Captain America in the MCU right?

AniHawk

Oh, and how about that plan to get sent to jail? That was so damn stupid.

i would have been fine with it if it had actually been followed up on and there was some sort of adversity in getting out or something. or maybe the plan was a huge failure and we would get to see kilgrave being clever with his powers or something. instead the show just meanders another seven episodes.

Eidan

Just finished. I'd say I liked the show, but it didn't capture me like Daredevil did. I guess I just didn't find the pursuit of Kilgrave to be compelling enough to sustain an entire season. Jessica needed more cases in between the season to keep things interesting. Her helping more people in the area would help give life to the world the show takes place in, and also limit the amount of eye rolling Kilgrave escapes.

I thought all of the leads did a great job, but if there was one weak spot, it was Simpson. In fact, I can't say there was anything I liked about the character, from the actor, to his romance with Trish. I kind of liked that he turned heel, if only so I wouldn't have to stomach the show trying to make me like him.

El Topo

I don't think it would've made sense to have Jones work on more cases while Kilgrave is out there. Heck, even her taking the "Find dirt on my husband" case seemed odd. I wouldn't mind though if the next season has one overarching case and multiple smaller ones in-between, now that this looming menace is gone. I also hope the next season is not as depressing as this one.

It was a solid plan.
I mean, fuck ... she would end up in jail at some point with all these bodies ending up around her. Might as well use it as a trap to expose him.

It wasn't really a good plan. Plenty of flaws. That was clearly the point though. Jones has no idea how to fix the mess, how to prove somehow that Kilgrave has this power and the show makes it quite clear that she is not reasonable when it comes to Kilgrave. I thought there was also maybe the subsconscious wish to escape it all and pay penance, not for killing Reva, but for not killing Kilgrave.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Agree on the pacing. Feel like the series is tighter (except for maybe one or two episodes) than Daredevil. But at least with Daredevil if got better as it went. Jessica Jones, for me, started off really strong but then towards the end kinda lost it.

Top Bottom