• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels Secret Wars by Hickman & Ribic |OT| Everything ends... Everything begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really dying to speculate on what happens next. Can we assume that the people that were
On the Life Raft are going to be the only ones "unaffected" by the new reality of Battleworld? For instance, they'll be the only ones who know things are wrong? Kind of like how Bishop knew things were wrong in the Age of Apocalypse?
Seems that way. though it's hard to be sure since whatever is supposed to "restart" things hasn't yet.

If so we have the following characters:

Reed
Black Panther
Johnny Storm
Peter-Parker Spider-Man
Captain Marvel
Thor
Ben Grimm
Franklin Richards

you missed Manifold teleporting more people onboard as "plan B." Cyclops, Star-Lord, and Storm (?) are there, possibly others.

Neoxon

Seems that way. though it's hard to be sure since whatever is supposed to "restart" things hasn't yet.

you missed Manifold teleporting more people onboard as "plan B." Cyclops, Star-Lord, and Storm (?) are there, possibly others.
I don't recall Storm making it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This thread on CBR has a weekly breakdown of what's being released.

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?30672-Secret-Wars-Checklist

Latest update was on May 2, here's the current list:

SECRET WARS WEEKLY RELEASE DATES (Updated May 2nd 2015)

LD = Last Days
BW = Battleworld
WZ = Warzones

29/04/15 - New Avengers #33, Avengers #44
02/05/15 - Secret Wars #0, All New All Different Avengers #0 (Post Secret Wars)
03/05/15 - Armour Wars #1/2 (Exclusively at ToysRUs)
06/05/15 - Secret Wars #1, Secret Wars Prelude TPB
13/05/15 - Secret Wars #2, Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #8 (LD), Magneto #18 (LD)
20/05/15 - A-Force #1 (WZ), Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #1 (WZ), Loki: Agent of Asgard #14 (LD), Master of Kung Fu #1 (BW), Planet Hulk #1 (WZ), Secret Wars: Battleworld #1 (BW), Spider-Verse #1 (WZ), Ultimate End #1 (BW)
27/05/15 - Inferno #1 (WZ), Inhumans: Attilan Rising #1 (BW), MODOK: Assassin #1 (WZ), Old Man Logan #1 (WZ), Secret Wars 2099 #1 (WZ), Secret Wars Journal #1 (BW), Infinity Gauntlet #1 (WZ), Where Monsters Dwell #1 (WZ)
03/06/15 - Secret Wars #3, 1602: Witch Hunter Angela #1 (WZ), Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1 (WZ), Armour Wars #1 (WZ), Future Imperfect #1 (WZ), Giant Size Little Marvel AVX #1 (WZ), Master of Kung Fu #2 (BW), Secret Wars: Battleworld #2 (BW), X-hinction Agenda #1 (WZ), Years of Future Past #1 (WZ)
10/06/15 - Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #9 (LD), Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps #1 (WZ), Ghost Racers #1 (BW), Inferno #2 (WZ), Inhumans: Attilan Rising #2 (BW), MODOK: Assassin #2 (WZ), Marvel Zombies #1 (BW), Mrs Deadpool and the Howling Commandos #1 (WZ), Old Man Logan #2 (WZ), Secret Wars 2099 #2 (WZ), Secret Wars Journal #2 (BW), Silver Surfer #13 (LD), Spider Verse #2 (WZ), Squadron Sinister #1 (WZ), Thors #1 (BW), Ultimate End #2 (BW), Weirdworld #1 (WZ)
17/06/15 - Secret Wars #4, A-Force #2 (WZ), Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #2 (WZ), Armour Wars #2 (WZ), Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #2 (WZ), Future Imperfect #2 (WZ), Guardians of Knowhere #1 (WZ), Magneto #19 (LD), Ms Marvel #16 (LD), Runaways #1 (BW), Infinity Gauntlet #2 (WZ)
24/06/15 - Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies #1 (BW), Black Widow #19 (LD), E is For Exhinction #1 (WZ), Korvac Saga #1 (BW), Loki: Agent of Asgard #15 (LD), Planet Hulk #2 (WZ), Star Lord and Kitty Pryde #1 (BW), The Punisher #19 (LD), Weirdworld #2 (WZ), Where Monsters Dwell #2 (WZ), X-Men '92 #1 (WZ)
01/07/15 - Secret Wars #5, Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #3 (WZ), Future Imperfect #3 (WZ), Giant Size Little Marvel AVX #2 (WZ), Hail HYDRA #1 (WZ), Inhumans: Attilan Rising #3 (BW), Master of Kung Fu #3 (BW), Red Skull #1 (BW), Secret Wars Journal #3 (BW), Squadron Sinister #2 (WZ), Ultimate End #3 (BW), X-tinction Agenda #2 (WZ), Years of Future Past #3 (WZ)
08/07/15 - 1872 #1 (WZ), Age of Apocalypse #1 (WZ), Civil War #1 (WZ), Ghost Racers #2 (BW), Inferno #3 (WZ), Marvel Zombies #2 (BW), Mrs Deadpool and the Howling Commandos #2 (WZ), Mrs Marvel #17 (LD), Old Man Logan #3 (WZ), Runaways #2 (BW), Secret Wars 2099 #3 (WZ) Siege #1 (BW), Spider Island #1 (WZ), Spider Verse #3 (WZ), Weirdworld #3 (WZ)
15/07/15 - Armour Wars #3 (WZ), Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders #1 (WZ), Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps #2 (WZ), Guardians of Knowhere #2 (WZ), Korvac Saga #2 (BW), Magneto #20 (LD), Planet Hulk #3 (WZ), Secret Wars: Battleworld #3 (BW), Silver Surfer #14 (LD), Infinity Gauntlet #3 (WZ), Thors #2 (BW), Where Monsters Dwell #3 (WZ)
22/07/15 - A-Force #3 (WZ), Civil War #2 (WZ), E Is For Extinction #2 (WZ), Loki: Agent of Asgard #16 (LD), Star Lord and Kitty Pryde #2 (BW), The Punisher #20 (LD)
29/07/15 - 1602: Witch Hunter Angela #2 (WZ), Age of Apocalypse #2 (WZ), Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies #2 (BW), Black Widow #20 (LD), Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #3 (WZ), Hail HYDRA #2 (WZ), MODOK: Assassin #3 (WZ), Spider Island #2 (WZ), X-Men '92 #2 (WZ)
August - 1872 #2? (WZ) House of M #1? (WZ)

NOTE: X-Men '92 will be released one month early digitally. 1872 was delayed from June to July and House of M appears to be delayed to sometime in August.

Fintan

Spider-Woman is wearing her old costume in that one panel she appears. Does her series with the new costume take place post-SW? I think I might be on to something.

Honestly, I think the egg will probably be the spark of the multiverse coming back. Reborn. Because Cyclops.
I'm getting a "Cap was wrong" shirt at the end of this.

waitasec

That white light we see is
god
white light
victor's mug
white light

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit
As I pointed out in the other thread, NA #33 looked a lot like the original Secret Wars #10, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it played out in a similar fashion.

I think an important part is that
Manifold stayed behind. He could have teleported somewhere else a ton of other people.

D i Z

I'm not up on the cost of these books these days. I assume that these titles will all run at the same rate? What does the total damage look like if one were lucky enough to get one of each of these at retail release price?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
glorious black bars. my old man brain will probably forget all this by the time I get to it on MU in 6-7 months anyway

Spider-Woman is wearing her old costume in that one panel she appears. Does her series with the new costume take place post-SW? I think I might be on to something.
Nope. Nick Lowe hinted today that her book may be turned into a Last Days book. Brevoort already called him out on the costume change not jiving with Hickman's books.

Would any of you guys be kind enough to spoil the hell out this issue?

I wait for collected versions, but I like to discuss and don't mind spoilers.

Here goes! All the marbles!

The issue opens with Strange, Doom and Molecule Man surveying their handiwork. It's still not totally clear what Doom did but it has drawn the attention of the Beyonders, for sure. "We are Beyond," they say. "Dreamers. Destroyers. All of reality Our whim. Who dares stand before Us?"

"I. DOOM."

Cut to Manhattan-1610 just as the incursion wall consumes the city. Nick Fury, Hawkeye and Ultimate Reed are all preparing to launch a massive assault on Manhattan-616 in the hope of saving their universe...well, Nick Fury and Hawkeye are, anyway. U. Reed and the Cabal privately discuss their real plans somewhat abstractly, and U. Reed confesses that he lied to Nick. He knows there is no hope of saving their universe.

End prologue.

Cut to Manhattan-616 as the incursion is happening. All of the heroes are flying up to fight 1610's army of helicarriers....at least, almost all of them. Reed, the FF, Black Panther and perhaps a small handful of other character reside in the Baxter Building - shielded from the attack - and are preparing the liferaft vessel they hope to restart the human race with. Both Reeds clearly know there is no escape from this....both 616 and 1610 are doomed. Spider-Woman and Black Widow are working with Reed, piloting Courier One on an exfiltration mission, extracting the brightest and most talented minds to join the liferaft crew. Reed hopes this ship will reach the liferaft in time but they have a plan b: Manifold is plugged into a big machine in the liferaft and he's gonna start teleporting people over if everything goes wrong.

Everything goes wrong.

We see an extended battle sequence, Ultimate Iron Man vs. Captain Marvel, Thor & Storm vs. the helicarriers while Spidey, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and the Guardians of the Galaxy help out on the ground. At this point so much is happening it would be hard to describe it all. Cyclops and a group of sentinels arrive and settle into the middle of the city, but nobody is really sure what his intentions are.

In short, the Ultimates get their asses handed to them by the 616 crew. Hulk smashes the Triskelion (I think that was the Ultimate Triskelion, anyway?), Captain Marvel kicks the shit out of U. Stark, and so on. Ultimate Fury tells Ultimate Reed to launch his "doomsday worldkiller weapon and hope for the best."

U. Reed deploys a temporal bubble in the midst of the incursion zone, and from it emerge several ships. These ships are much more formidable than Fury's helicarriers, and the tide of battle begins to shift against Earth-616 as Black Bolt, Captain America, Rocket and others fall. More significantly, Courier One - the ship piloted by Black Widow and Spider-Woman - explodes in the attack. Reed, Black Panther and Manifold initiate Plan B, channeling Manifold's powers into the raft so they can save the people they need. Meanwhile, Cyclops reveals that the phoenix egg he's been holding onto is ready to hatch. "Remember how this feels?" he says as he is enveloped by the egg's energy, and he emerges as the Phoenix once again.

Heroes start to blink out of the fight as Manifold pulls them out - we see Spider-Man, Star-Lord, Thor and Captain Marvel all blink out of the fight and onto the raft. The top of the Baxter Building opens and the liferaft officially leaves Manhattan-616 for good. The planet itself begins to fracture; the incursion is destroying Earth-616. We get an incredibly cool shot of the raft zooming between the two Earths as they come together; purple lightning crackles all around them and it's clear the raft itself is in danger.

Sure enough, the raft is hit by the lightning and a massive chunk goes flying off, taking Sue, Johnny, Ben and the Fantastic Kids with it. Sue erects a shield around the ship to give Reed time to pull them back into the raft's shields...but it's too late. There's nothing they can do but watch in horror as the section is ripped to shreds. An anguished Reed reaches out for them one last time, and loses his fingertips in the process.

The survivors narrowly make it through the breach as the two Earths finally collide and are utterly obliterated. It is completely unambiguous....they're gone. Shattered. The book closes with a full page that says:

The Marvel Universe
1961-2015

The Ultimate Universe
2000-2015

The end.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Reed did tell us back in New Avengers #1

REED-NA-PAGE.jpg

mreddie

Well, one issue in and bummed the fuck out, especially since the majority of other comics I'm reading are likely before the Wars.

Everything did die...except Star Lord. UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Afrodium

Banned
I'm not up on the cost of these books these days. I assume that these titles will all run at the same rate? What does the total damage look like if one were lucky enough to get one of each of these at retail release price?

Doing some quick and dirty math with the assumption that each issue costs $4, and factoring in the a few are gonna be $5, I'd say somewhere around $600.

Rhaknar

So are the comics listed in the OP the ONLY ones tied in with this event, or will there be others as well?

as far as I understand, thats all the Marvel comics available during all this. There are no "normal" books

Tendo

I got goosebumps and fairly emotional reading the last several pages of this issue. Man. I love everything Hickman touches. I don't even know how they will get back to a sense of "normal" after this. So pumped for this summer. Take my dollars.

Quoting my initial reaction from the other thread"

"OMG.

Can't wait to reread. That was insane! The final few pages left me with goosebumps. A little bioshock infinite in there with
Reed losing his finger tips in the shield after failing to save his family
"

Neoxon

Well, one issue in and bummed the fuck out, especially since the majority of other comics I'm reading are likely before the Wars.

Everything did die...except Star Lord. UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
The survivors are...
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man
- Star-Lord
- Lady Thor
- Captain Marvel
- Black Panther
- Cyclops
- Mr. Fantastic

Given the leaked "battleworld map":
I wonder if Ultimate Reed did something and saved his city and the immediate area, sort of like his own version of a raft. That'd mean a lot of our heroes survive in some form.

The survivors are...
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man
- Star-Lord
- Lady Thor
- Captain Marvel
- Black Panther
- Cyclops
- Mr. Fantastic
if they were truly the last ones, it would make for some awkward conversations about repopulation.

Yet,
Rocket and Groot and other heroes kick the can
because Hickman.
Yeah, Hickman definitely
doesn't plan to bring anyone else back.

Given the leaked "battleworld map":
I wonder if Ultimate Reed did something and saved his city and the immediate area, sort of like his own version of a raft. That'd mean a lot of our heroes survive in some form.
Yeah. My assumption
is that the city is Ultimate Reed's version of the raft, while Doom God is the one who creates Battleworld.

80s Secret Wars lasted a year I believe.

wasn't anywhere near as many books though, not by a long shot.

The closest to it I can think of is probably the 90s "age of apocalypse" run, where all the X-books got rebooted into post apocalyptic (heh) versions of themselves for a few months.

and even then it was still less than half as many titles.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read Secret Wars #1.

Amazing.

That dollar comic book line between Rocket and Groot was cringey and wtf worthy though.

Also, when does Cyk join Storm and make Nation-X?

And, why save Star Lord?

wasn't anywhere near as many books though, not by a long shot.

The closest to it I can think of is probably the 90s "age of apocalypse" run, where all the X-books got rebooted into post apocalyptic (heh) versions of themselves for a few months.

and even then it was still less than half as many titles.

Civil War did have a shitload of tie-ins though. Probably the closest thing.

These two are definitely the closest but I still think SW dwarfs them in the end.

Just read Secret Wars #1.

Amazing.

That dollar comic book line between Rocket and Groot was cringey and wtf worthy though

eh, I saw it as a meta joke meant for fans. $5.00 is a lot for a funny book.

Also, when does Cyk join Storm and make Nation-X?

The X-men get reunified at two points, pick which you prefer- one is during AXIS, the other is at the conclusion of the current Uncanny Xmen. feel free to pick one and ignore the other, because they conflict. Both of these happen before the 8 month time skip, which is supposedly when the X-nation concept happens and cyclops finds a phoenix egg. neither of these events is depicted in any of the X-books.

And, why save Star Lord?

$$$$

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
eh, I saw it as a meta joke meant for fans. is a lot for a funny book.

The X-men get reunified at two points, pick which you prefer- one is during AXIS, the other is at the conclusion of the current Uncanny Xmen. feel free to pick one and ignore the other, because they conflict. Both of these happen before the 8 month time skip, which is supposedly when the X-nation concept happens and cyclops finds a phoenix egg. neither of these events is depicted in any of the X-books.

$$$$
Thanks man, was confused.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Doing some quick and dirty math with the assumption that each issue costs $4, and factoring in the a few are gonna be $5, I'd say somewhere around $600.

wait for that hardbound volumed edition with the special features and editors notes and watch marvel try to vaccuum the money from your pockets

My head actually swam for a few seconds there.

yeah, but again- you're not intended to pick up every issue, any more than you're intended to pick up every issue of every book marvel prints in a given month. You'd go bankrupt just as fast.

the core story doesn't require all the tie ins, they're just interesting alternate tales and "what ifs?" for fans following the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom