• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

If Tony Stark is meant to be so smart why didn't he get Thor to charge him up with some thunder in the end battles!!!

Well it super charged his suit it also looked like it did visible damage to it, probably wasn't worth the risk trying that again. Sure stark is probably smart enough to know how much lightning would power him up, but I doubt thor would understand or even be able to control the lighting to that degree.

Raistlin

how is

captain america reffered to as the FIRST super hero? surely Wolverine would be the worlds first super hero seeing as he first realises his powers as a kid in 1845, like in wolverine origins, or is it becase he doesn't technically become a super hero until 1979 when he meets stryker?
Even discounting the X-Men simply not being in MCU at this point, would he really have been considered a super hero prior to his involvement with the X-Men?

If your talking power wise Thor is right up there with Hulk .
Lower level Hulk maybe, or at least he can hang. As Hulk gets angrier though ... no ... not even close.

If Thor didn't have his hammer, would he and Captain America be about equal? Or is Thor still stronger/more durable?
In the comics, Thor would annihilate him without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, Mark Ruffalo was great.

I loved the scene in the beginning where he freaked out
Black Widow and she pulled a gun on him. You could see that fear in her eyes and a hint of a tear or something.

Really they should just do a combo Iron Man/Hulk movie where Banner and Stark are bros just hanging out doing bro things while blowing shit up.
I was joking with my friends after the movie that they need to make an Stark/Banner buddy cop movie :D

Was a great scene.
I really loved how terrifying they made the scene where she was getting chased by Hulk. She was essentially curled up in fetal position, unable to move ... and that was after the scene had already transitioned, and then came back to her later. She literally looked broken mentally by it.

That was the first time I've ever seen what the horror would actually be like of witnessing the Hulk put down on film/video. And her portrayal sealed the deal. I even felt horrified.

3phemeral

Seeing
Black Widow still cowering in shock/fear after he was long gone said it all

And there was nothing she could do to stop him, he'd just get angrier.
With the minor annoyances I have with some of the dialog, the amount of thought they put into details like this is just fist-pumpingly amazing. It's exciting to see these childhood memories turn into real viable motion pictures.

I really loved how terrifying they made the scene where she was getting chased by Hulk. She was essentially curled up in fetal position, unable to move ... and that was after the scene had already transitioned, and then came back to her later. She literally looked broken mentally by it.

That was the first time I've ever seen what the horror would actually be like of witnessing the Hulk put down on film/video. And her portrayal sealed the deal. I even felt horrified.

That was the first time on live-action I realize how scary the Hulk would be. You see all the smashing of the puny people, you forget that it's something out of a horror film, and that scene really captured that.
I absolutely loved the first-person, shaking camera as the Hulk just breaks through everything so quickly

Davidion

Just watched it. That was fucking great.

It smelled good from the second it got the comic geeks' approval.

It was just a straight up fucking superhero movie done well and right.

3phemeral

Even discounting the X-Men simply not being in MCU at this point, would he really have been considered a super hero prior to his involvement with the X-Men?

Lower level Hulk maybe, or at least he can hang. As Hulk gets angrier though ... no ... not even close.

In the comics, Thor would annihilate him without breaking a sweat.

That was the first time on live-action I realize how scary the Hulk would be. You see all the smashing of the puny people, you forget that it's something out of a horror film, and that scene really captured that.
I absolutely loved the first-person, shaking camera as the Hulk just breaks through everything so quickly

More horror than all of
Cabin in the Woods
combined lolamirite?

Ah, I'm not hating, I loved that too.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Well it super charged his suit it also looked like it did visible damage to it, probably wasn't worth the risk trying that again. Sure stark is probably smart enough to know how much lightning would power him up, but I doubt thor would understand or even be able to control the lighting to that degree.

when thor was spinning up his hammer when iron man was falling maybe thats exactly what he was doing.

The fact that it makes sense doesn't make it any less convoluted. Would you have preffered if I refered to it as an intricate mess? Or perhaps you'd rather I'd go the snobish route of using byzantine? You got my point exactly. The movie's strenghts are inherently simplistic in nature, and yet they insist on unnecessarily complicating the formula to the point where it barely works, sometimes. The good things about it are the ordered and yet chaotic nature of the action that results from having an extremely poweful but hard to coordinate team, but 75% of the movie is spent developing shallow character arcs that ultimately serve little to no purpose. Therefore rendering it... convoluted (in a bad way... since the word has no pejorative sense on it's own).

I do agree with you about on the Hulk subject though. First time he actually felt like the Hulk on screen, no doubt.

Man, I'm so glad I don't go into movies like this with this attitude.

3phemeral

In all honesty, though, I did think after seeing that scene that they'd reuse it as an intentional advantage.

But after
the nuke gets released, I don't think there was even an opportunity for him to do it. If I recall correctly, directly after Jarvis indicates that IM is running out of power, he gets his ass beat down and Fury rings him up while he's barely up off the groound. At that point, not only was he under a time limit to find the nuke from it's 2-minute detonation, but he's also trying to guide it into the portal, so he couldn't be recharged while carrying it in. Plus, there's definitely some downtime when he gets charged because he looked like he was still taking a little damage when Thor did it the first time.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This was an amazing movie. I didn't expect to happen, but it was actually better than the Dark Knight. Nolan's got his work cut out for him this summer.

Raistlin

Fantastic movie. Joss didn't Whedon all over it either. Every character had their own voice.
That is one of the most absurdly off-the-mark posts I've read in this thread. Congrats :p

Yeah, there were a bunch of stuff that was weird for me motivation wise.

I'm still not very sure why he let himself get captured. As an insider he did not do much and I don't really buy the fact he was setting them up against each other by merely sitting there. Also, he seemed to know they would get back together later on and did not really seem to care about it when they did, making it look like they weren't a threat in the first place.

He could have been somewhat more afraid at times anyway.
I think it was twofold

He needed proximity to work his 'magic' - attempting to split the team up, potentially kill some of them, and fuck up SHIELD's fortress.

Also, it served as a distraction so his underlings could set up the gate since SHIELD and the Avengers were preoccupied.

Really? He's known for putting together enormous, million dollar action movies? You fucking sure? Because he's never done it.

I said the movie was great, that every character stood on their own, and I'm getting this stupid nonsense thrown my way. Fuck, people, I loved Firefly too, but there were legitimate concerns about Joss handling a picture of this magnitude. I said that he handled it and made a great movie. Christ. Find somebody else to stand in for your pre-written rants.
Other than the budget though, this embodies everything he's known for ... handling ensemble casts where everyone gets good screen time, balancing character usefulness even though there's obvious power deltas, tackling a 'tough' genre and humor without being too corny, balancing humor, action, and drama, action scenes that use super powers in cool and creative ways, funny dialog and physical humor, great character interactions, etc.

Really this was everything he's known for, just on a grander scale imo.

The brief exchange at the end
on the bridge between Fury and whatshername
felt straight out of Firefly.
Heh ... felt the same way. Too bad she's not a Companion too :D

JoeBoy101

Saw the movie earlier today with the wife and the only thing better than the movie was how enthralled my wife was with it. And she is not the comic book fan.

A good finale for the cinema where they turned the earlier showing we were planning to go to from 2D to 3D without mentioning it, sleazy fuckers. Luckily, my afternoon was open.

Loved the movie, but it definitely ranks below the Nolan Batman flicks. Comes in a solid 3rd, and may drop to 4th if the DKR lives up to its promise.

Actually, the trailers before the film really spoke to a solid summer. DKR and Prometheus.... damn!

Man, I'm so glad I don't go into movies like this with this attitude.

To be fair to the movie, I did go in with high expectations, which is never a good thing. But still, I guess the vapid nature of the plot just got on my nerves.

This was an amazing movie. I didn't expect to happen, but it was actually better than the Dark Knight. Nolan's got his work cut out for him this summer.

0046_i9p5.gif

Loved the movie, but it definitely ranks below the Nolan Batman flicks. Comes in a solid 3rd, and may drop to 4th if the DKR lives up to its promise.

Actually, the trailers before the film really spoke to a solid summer. DKR and Prometheus.... damn!

How? Nolan's universe takes itself so seriously it's really just...eh. This movie was MADE for comic book fans.

Raistlin

Yep. It was like a mini horror flick inside the movie ... and a great choice for what character to do it with. I think it honestly works better with Hulk then doing it with the bad guys for a variety of reasons.

I'm just amazed they pulled it off. It was actually terrifying.

Raistlin

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to see this in the theaters again ... maybe even more than once.

I haven't been this satisfied with a summer flick in a long fucking time. Probably not since seeing Terminator 2 in high school. This was that fucking enjoyable overall.

There's more than one type of comic book fan (and comic book).
I think Nolan's take on Batman is great but the weakest character in The Dark Knight was Batman IMO. It's just not representative of the character I grew up with. Avengers is basically the comic put to screen.

They're not even in the same genre for me. TDK is more of a crime thriller than a super hero flick.

Vyer

I think Nolan's take on Batman is great but the weakest character in The Dark Knight was Batman IMO. It's just not representative of the character I grew up with. Avengers is basically the comic put to screen.

They're not even in the same genre for me. TDK is more of a crime thriller than a super hero flick.

I've read so many different representations that it's hard for me to pin just one. I think this movie trilogy one is fine, and gets all of the core points right.

As for genre, they all fall under Comic Book Movies for me. And again, much like the books themselves, there are plenty of ways to tell the story. I appreciate having the diversity.

The thing is A) Nolan's Batman universe is a little too realistic. Would be better with some more sci fi elements. B) Batman's voice is horrendous. C) Nolan hates Robin and even mocks Dick Grayson.

My issue with Nolan's Batman.

But I want a Hulk movie but not a prequel but give us Leader and introduce She Hulk before Avengers 2.

Raistlin

There's more than one type of comic book fan (and comic book).
What makes this movie interesting imo is that it's arguably one of the first times someone has really pulled off a comic book movie in the more traditional (80's. 90's, etc Marvel/DC) sense. Almost every time someone tries to strike that comic humor tenor while trying to also do some drama and set pieces ... it blows up in their face, coming off as cheesy, corny, or worse.

Batman did a similar thing with regards to darker, graphic novel-esque comics. Most that have tried that in the past have similarly failed miserably.

Obviously which movies someone prefers is likely tied to what style of comics they prefer. I think we can agree though that Nolan's Batmans and Whedon's Avengers are arguably the tops for what they set out to do.

artist

Banned
The thing is A) Nolan's Batman universe is a little too realistic. Would be better with some more sci fi elements. B) Batman's voice is horrendous. C) Nolan hates Robin and even mocks Dick Grayson.

But I want a Hulk movie but not a prequel but give us Leader and introduce She Hulk before Avengers 2.
A) It's a fine balance between realism and fantasy. If a billionaire as a caped vigilante isnt fantasy then the elements in the movies (vaporizer, cellphone sonar, dooms day device etc) are.
B) IMO it's fine, despite the GAF hate.
C) +1 Nolan, fuck Robin.

Oh yeah, I forgot to post in this thread.

So yeah, saw it 2 days ago and it was the best superhero movie I've ever seen. Nothing else comes close. I will probably be going to see it again this week.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rewatching Iron Man 2 at the moment, and I just realized that when Ivan is talking with Justin Hammer, you can see that the palms of Hammer's hands are brown because of self-tanning cream. Never noticed that before.

The small details that make the Hammer character such a douchebag...it's great!

How? Nolan's universe takes itself so seriously it's really just...eh. This movie was MADE for comic book fans.

That really depends on your definition of comic books, now doesn't it?

I grew up reading Preacher, The Invisibles, Transmetropolitan, The Sandman, etc... in other words, I really don't give much of a fuck at all about genero-superhero crap, in general. There are exceptions, of course (Marvels and Kingdom Come spring immediatly to mind, as does most post Miller Batman stuff), but for the most part what you call "comic books" I call infantile entertainment... something to keep you enthralled without having to use your head.

That anyone would even attempt to argue that Avengers is anywhere near TDK is just asking for ridicule imo.

Divvy

I'm not one of those people that believes that a movie is superior just because it's got a more serious tone. I loved TDK, but it had plenty of problems. Pacing is very important to me and TDK was just poorly paced, and the Avengers was much better in that regard..

A) There is a ton of pretty non-realistic stuff, it's just grounded well.
B) It's really not bad, if you ask me. Adds to the persona.
C) Nolan is right.

Vyer

What makes this movie interesting imo is that it's arguably one of the first times someone has really pulled off a comic book movie in the more traditional (older-school) sense. Almost every time someone tries to strike that comic humor tenor ... it blows up in their face, coming off as cheesy, corny, or worse.

Batman did a similar thing with regards to darker, graphic novel-esque comics. Most that have tried that in the past have similarly failed miserably.

Yeah. I think the first Superman was able to do it fairly well. The humor may seem a little more cheesy 30 years later or whatever, but that probably has more to do with the time period.

Avengers, really, is the perfect type of comic to hit a home run with (as long as the people in charge are actually familiar with the comics). It's a shame no one was able to do it until now, but I'm happy that Whedon was able to pull it off so amazingly well.

Batman, imo, just doesn't work as well without being serious. I know that they tried that for a part of his history - which led to stuff like Adam West Batman - but I don't think that translates well at all outside of that time period.

Batman's villains are just too out there to really pull off without going serious and/or dark.

No, I mean use up and coming science. No genetic modifications? Why is he not using say gene therapy with Bane to make him as strong as he is in comics? Things like that which are up and coming in science.

Yeah, Batman's voice sucks. I sound like a raspy old man. No thank you.

Read some Nightwing and Dick as Batman comics. Dick is a certified badass. Real talk.

artist

Banned
Just got back from a party, looks like my schedule for tomorrow is open so I might watch this tomorrow.

As for the BO, latest update from Nikkie Finke (deadline.com) is that today's gross is 60-64M with the weekend projection at 175-179M. However, she lowballed yesterday's figures, initially started with 67M and the final tally ended up at 80.5M. The source that said 80M before the official figures from Disney were released is saying that today's total is closer to 70M. That means 200M is very possible with a normal Sunday drop. Hang tight folks ..

Jrmint

I honestly can't believe these 2 movies are being compared. They are honestly barely even in the same genre, and honestly should not be compared as such.

A) That's what makes it so good
B) Wrong
C) Robin is a joke, there's a reason he hasn't been around and hopefully never will be again.

kunonabi

That's my main problem with Nolan's Batman films. I like how they handle everyone except Batman.

I'm not one of those people that believes that a movie is superior just because it's got a more serious tone. I loved TDK, but it had plenty of problems. Pacing is very important to me and TDK was just poorly paced, and the Avengers was much better in that regard..

TDK wasn't perfect. But it's an incredibly rich movie which is amazingly directed, written and acted (except for Batman...). Plus, the action is fucking fantastic.

Avengers is a soulless action flick. The plot is irrelevant, the direction is all over the place, the fact that you'd even call the pacing into the spotlight just works to my advantage... Avengers had one of the worst cold opens of all time, and the pacing is very uneven. RDJ is the only actor even worth mentioning, but SJ was ok too. Is there even a point in comparing them?

Raistlin

That really depends on your definition of comic books, now doesn't it?

I grew up reading Preacher, The Invisibles, Transmetropolitan, The Sandman, etc... in other words, I really don't give much of a fuck at all about genero-superhero crap, in general. There are exceptions, of course (Marvels and Kingdom Come spring immediatly to mind, as does most post Miller Batman stuff), but for the most part what you call "comic books" I call infantile entertainment... something to keep you enthralled without having to use your head.

That anyone would even attempt to argue that Avengers is anywhere near TDK is just asking for ridicule imo.
That anyone would even attempt to argue that TDK is anywhere near Sandman or Preacher is ridiculous to me.

noah111

Still Alive
Interesting side note, The Incredible Hulk is 22 on the top rentals list in iTunes, and the only MCU movie in the top 50.

Hulk is back, big time. They better green light another one.
Hahaha, hilarious. Now to watch the ratings section dip....

:LOL, well done sir.

Watching Iron Man 2 right now, it's so bad.

Please tell me Avengers shits all over this.
It shits inside of it.

Replicant

That's my main problem with Nolan's Batman films. I like how they handle everyone except Batman.

I liked the realism angle in "Batman Begins" because for me it was a novelty (especially Scarecrow) the first time around. But by the time it's "Dark Knight", it already ran out of course for me. I was so sick of everything being so dry and realistic. It doesn't help that the plot has a heavy political/socio-economic slant to it, something that I really don't wish to see in comic book films. I don't want it super campy like Batman Forever/Batman and Robin, but I think Nolan's Batman films take the opposite extreme of it and it's too much for me by the time TDKR trailer rolled out. I'll still see the film but I'm really not fond of the theme he uses for it.

Divvy

TDK wasn't perfect. But it's an incredibly rich movie which is amazingly directed, written and acted (except for Batman...). Plus, the action is fucking fantastic.

Avengers is a soulless action flick. The plot is irrelevant, the direction is all over the place, the fact that you'd even call the pacing into the spotlight just works to my advantage... Avengers had one of the worst cold opens of all time, and the pacing is very uneven. RDJ is the only actor even worth mentioning, but SJ was ok too. Is there even a point in comparing them?

Your advantage? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware we were having some sort of internet fight. I don't care that you think TDK is better, good for you, you and I have different priorities when judging movies. And yeah, even considering the cold open, the pacing is still way better than TDK which was kind of a mess. I disagree on your other points, but frankly I'm not that interested in having this debate. I just wanted to say that I had a surprisingly great time with this movie and that it is now my favourite superhero flick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom