• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

Dany

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Hmm, should I just go with it or do it on a fresh game?

Enemies scale and are harder in a NG+ from my understanding, I went in as a vanguard in insanity in a new save and used that 'glitch' that allows you to have maxed stats for your powers on the 360. I found it easy, squad ice ammo with reave along with Miranda and Kasumi was a cake walk. Only issue was on the
collector ship when the collectors come to attack with two scions on the platforms
. A

Dany M said:
Only issue was on the
collector ship when the collectors come to attack with two scions on the platforms
. A
Don't move from cover on the first platform, you'll be far enough away where they won't come towards you.

Just Widow them in the face from there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RyanardoDaVinci said:
Don't move from cover on the first platform, you'll be far enough away where they won't come towards you.

Just Widow them in the face from there.

Wrong battle.

HK-47 said:
Wrong battle.
Really? I remember doing that for both encounters. Maybe it bugged for me? lol

Here's a big mistake on Bioware's part:
I didn't have Miranda or Jacob loyal and Miranda died at the final battle. I decided to do Jacob's loyalty mission and at the end, when he's talking to TIM, asking who sent him the message, in walks Miranda. Lol, that's a big oversight on their part.

kai3345

Banned
RyanardoDaVinci said:
I didn't have Miranda or Jacob loyal and Miranda died at the final battle. I decided to do Jacob's loyalty mission and at the end, when he's talking to TIM, asking who sent him the message, in walks Miranda. Lol, that's a big oversight on their part.
lol

Arjen

RyanardoDaVinci said:

Damn, that's pretty stupid

Patryn

RyanardoDaVinci said:

Wow. That's terrible.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Replaying ME2 with a soldier, I know, boring class, but I hadn't toyed around with the Revenant. What a beast, love it. But I miss my Widow :/.

Rufus

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Almost as bad as the entire squad leaving for no reason
so the collectors can abduct your crew.
Miranda: "Right, we're off, everybody cram into this tin can over here."
Me: "Wait, I only looked at the map, I didn't even plot a course - I'm sure we're not even close to a plane-..."
Miranda: "Look, don't make this difficult. We're going somewhere, we do something or other, then we come back. OK?"
Did someone's dog eat the particular page of the script? The one where they explain why the fuck you leave, where you go to and how you're supposed to take the next segment seriously?

finally got time to start this for the first time, accidentally played about 20 hours during the weekend!

So much more addictive than the first game. Just missing Tali on my team and that one mystery empty slot of a character.

At first i was really put off by the omission of an inventory screen and the use of different ammo and upgrades. But these streamlinings are pretty good in the long run, i dont think they added anything for me in the first game anyways.

Playing as a Vanguard femshep. Balancing the Renegade/Paragon stuff pretty well, maybe abit more on the renegade side.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Rufus said:
Me: "Wait, I only looked at the map, I didn't even plot a course - I'm sure we're not even close to a plane-..."
Miranda: "Look, don't make this difficult. We're going somewhere, we do something or other, then we come back. OK?"
Did someone's dog eat the particular page of the script? The one where they explain why the fuck you leave, where you go to and how you're supposed to take the next segment seriously?

Funny you'd say that. At the time I was so confused. Later I thought they might adress it in a DLC. Wikipedia says: During one of Shepard's missions, while testing the IFF.. - that's really vague.

Rufus

A few words would have sufficed, that's the strangest thing about it. Just make it so you end up in some random system, make them go into orbit around one of its planets for safety's sake and then get off. The still wouldn't fit in the shuttle, but it's better than saying there's some mysterious mission. If you're going to wing it like this, that is. The way it is raises questions immediately and put me out of the moment entirely. It's so weird that this wasn't addressed at all.

Patryn

Noisepurge said:
finally got time to start this for the first time, accidentally played about 20 hours during the weekend!

So much more addictive than the first game. Just missing Tali on my team and that one mystery empty slot of a character.

At first i was really put off by the omission of an inventory screen and the use of different ammo and upgrades. But these streamlinings are pretty good in the long run, i dont think they added anything for me in the first game anyways.

Playing as a Vanguard femshep. Balancing the Renegade/Paragon stuff pretty well, maybe abit more on the renegade side.

This is going to bite you on the ass. The game is designed for you to pick one or the other. Balancing is only going to hurt you.

Arjen

Patryn said:
This is going to bite you on the ass. The game is designed for you to pick one or the other. Balancing is only going to hurt you.

I read that last sentence in Harbringers voice

Patryn said:
Unless you import a character and have the 100% class specialization bonus. Then it doesn't matter at all.
Rufus said:
A few words would have sufficed, that's the strangest thing about it. Just make it so you end up in some random system, make them go into orbit around one of its planets for safety's sake and then get off. The still wouldn't fit in the shuttle, but it's better than saying there's some mysterious mission. If you're going to wing it like this, that is. The way it is raises questions immediately and put me out of the moment entirely. It's so weird that this wasn't addressed at all.
That's the one mission you can do after getting the IFF. Everyone crams on board the shuttle so you can pick your team or some such nonsense and then you go do the mission meanwhile everyone on Normandy gets kidnapped. Presumably you would be doing Legion's loyalty mission.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
After playing Lair of the Shadow Broker, I really hope we get to go to Parnack
the Yahg homeplanet
someday. Would be awesome dealing.fighting multiple
Yahg
. What doesn't quite make sense about them though is that they are supposed to be
Salarian-level smart, highly adaptive, the works, but haven't gone into space. Of course BioWare can address this with some background, such as lack of resources or a type of planet very dificult to leave or something.

I wouldn't mind seeing more about the
Yahg
but same goes for the Batarians, Turians and Salarians - ME1 and ME2 only place you on planets/places dominated by humans, Asari, Krogans and Quarians. Wouldn't mind seeing more of the Elcor and and Volus too.

epmode

Patryn said:
True. The morality system is kind of a joke in Mass Effect. ...and Dragon Age, Jade Empire and KOTOR.

Lostconfused said:
That's the one mission you can do after getting the IFF. Everyone crams on board the shuttle so you can pick your team or some such nonsense and then you go do the mission meanwhile everyone on Normandy gets kidnapped. Presumably you would be doing Legion's loyalty mission.

Actually you are allowed at least 2(or was it 3) missions
after the IFF and are still able to save all of your crew.

Also I seriously doubt Shep would just have that many people stay behind when in the middle of the main Heretic space station.

Fimbulvetr said:
Yeah you are right. Nobody cares about Kelly so she doesn't count.
Rei_Toei said:
After playing Lair of the Shadow Broker, I really hope we get to go to Parnack
the Yahg homeplanet
someday. Would be awesome dealing.fighting multiple
Yahg
. What doesn't quite make sense about them though is that they are supposed to be
Salarian-level smart, highly adaptive, the works, but haven't gone into space. Of course BioWare can address this with some background, such as lack of resources or a type of planet very dificult to leave or something.
20th Century level technology is nothing in terms of space flight. Sure they can probably put something in orbit but that's not going to get you anywhere. They need to know where to look for a mass relay and might even need FTL travel capability to reach one.

Fimbulvetr said:

I bug abused the game and always hit the galaxy map before EDI could finish the " IFF read " so it never trigger the shuttle scene.

Rufus

Lostconfused said:
I didn't have any missions left to do, because I knew getting the IFF was going to be the point of no return. I did Legion's loyalty mission as well, and only then did it trigger. It can't be that hard to account for something like this, but what do I know...

Patryn said:

I'm not balancing them for balancing's sake, just that if someone needs to die he will, i have no problem with that but i do also tend to avoid unnecessary deaths.

Saved Wrex and Rachni in the first game because i thought they might be of use to me later. Killed the Asari woman that was helping/being used by the plant-queen-whatnot etc. In this i've punched and killed a lot of people that got in my way with Renegade-actions but i have also saved some.

Neutral Evil in D&D Alignments ;D

Rufus said:
I didn't have any missions left to do, because I knew getting the IFF was going to be the point of no return. I did Legion's loyalty mission as well, and only then did it trigger. It can't be that hard to account for something like this, but what do I know...
I guess you did every single mission in the entire game. Because that cutscene triggers when you try to start one from the galaxy map.
Fimbulvetr said:
I saved Kelly despite doing both Tali's and Legion's missions after the IFF.
Yeah you are right. You just can't do any missions after the crew gets taken.

ameratsu

Rufus said:

And the worst part is how they force your hand.

Finishing up loyalty/side missions are you? hahaha fuck you get onto the shuttle.

It's funny because the elusive man stresses at the beginning of the game that Shepard is the commander, gives you full autonomy over the mission, yet railroads you into missions at different points in the game. Shepard is the commander... except for when he's not.

In regards to the arrival DLC
This is the wrong way to do DLC. Content wise, it's no more substantial than a single loyalty mission. I'm sorry but 1.2 hours of formulaic corridor shooting involving no real choices for $6 is not okay.

Ricker

Finished the Arrival last night...not bad but not as good as Shadow Broker...was worth it though because I liked playing my Shepard solo and I reached level 30,which gave me the little achievement.

Mindlog

Rei_Toei said:
Replaying ME2 with a soldier, I know, boring class, but I hadn't toyed around with the Revenant. What a beast, love it. But I miss my Widow :/.
Start using the Viper. Once I tried it I completely forgot about the Widow.

Noisepurge said:
Neutral Evil in D&D Alignments ;D
Role playing around here tends to mean, 'I want to play my way with no consequences.'

Can't wait to get the Krogan shotgun on my new Vanguard. Pull/Charge is overkill, but always hilarious.

Lostconfused said:
Yeah you are right. You just can't do any missions after the crew gets taken.

Yes you can, you just aren't allowed to do more than a certain amount.

If you go one mission over the limit then Kelly dies, and if you go two or more then everyone else dies.

Patryn

Cornbread78 said:
Is there anyway to grind in this game, or is it just not needed at higher levels?

It is impossible. There are only a set number of missions, and each mission gives a set number of experience, regardless of how many enemies you killed.

For instance, prior to the introduction of the DLC, it was literally impossible for a player to reach level 30 in their initial playthrough unless they had imported a high-level (50+) character from Mass Effect 1.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mindlog said:
Start using the Viper. Once I tried it I completely forgot about the Widow.

Role playing around here tends to mean, 'I want to play my way with no consequences.'

Can't wait to get the Krogan shotgun on my new Vanguard. Pull/Charge is overkill, but always hilarious.

How can I role play if I'm not given undue authority to do stuff how ever I want? Its restricting my freedom!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
currently doing my third playthrough in lazy style. I'm constantly reminded why I like this game so much but after playing Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol and reading about The Witcher 2 features I can't help but regret opportunities missed.

Fimbulvetr said:
Yes you can, you just aren't allowed to do more than a certain amount.

If you go one mission over the limit then Kelly dies, and if you go two or more then everyone else dies.
No you can't do a single mission. If you do even one mission after they are taken by the collectors then Kelly and half the crew is dead.

Lostconfused said:
No you can't do a single mission. If you do even one mission after they are taken by the collectors then Kelly and half the crew is dead.

So you're telling me that either 1) my Kelly is dead(which she isn't) or that 2) I in fact did not bring Tali to Legion's loyalty mission(which I did).

Fimbulvetr said:
So you're telling me that either 1) my Kelly is dead(which she isn't) or that 2) I in fact did not bring Tali to Legion's loyalty mission(which I did).
What I am saying is that you are incorrect. I am not going to speculate as to why that is so.

Lostconfused said:
What I am saying is you are wrong. I am not going to speculate as to why you are wrong.

Oh no wait you're right. The mission limit is for the IFF getting installed. Not the crew being kidnapped.

UnluckyKate said:
What happens if you enter the quarantine zone with Garrus on Omega ?

He gets the plague, which starts a long and involved side-quest to track down a cure and save him before time runs out!

Nothing happens

Mister_Bubbles said:
He gets the plague, which starts a long and involved side-quest to track down a cure and save him before time runs out!

Nothing happens

lol okay just making sure. I knew you couldn't loose him but I assumed he suffer a debuff.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
During my first playthrough, YMIR mech's exploded with nuclear blasts all the time. Now, with my second playhtough, I've yet to seen a single one do that. Did they remove that with an update or something?

Edit: ah, it's because I'm apparantly not doing headshots.

Wallach

Rei_Toei said:
During my first playthrough, YMIR mech's exploded with nuclear blasts all the time. Now, with my second playhtough, I've yet to seen a single one do that. Did they remove that with an update or something?

YMIRs explode like that only if they die to a headshot kill.

Scenester

I think it's something to do with how you kill them. If you blow their heads off they don't explode, or it's the other way around. Definitely remember it's something to do will the kill condition of the mech

Sai

You just gotta get headshots, guys.

There are times where even if you pop their heads off, they'll explode normally--like on Freedom's Progress. Don't know if it's possible on Garrus' recruitment mission either. I've tried, but I've never been able to trigger a nuke.

UnluckyKate said:
lol okay just making sure. I knew you couldn't loose him but I assumed he suffer a debuff.
There's a line of dialouge with him coughing, I think. And he gets the cure once you reach Mordin. Nothing significant.

Cornbread78

Freedom = $1.05 said:
You can grind for minerals by mining. This requires that you hate yourself, sure, but you can do it.

I've done a little of this to get the upgrades already, but damn, you're right about hating yourself to do it, lol

Patryn said:
It is impossible. There are only a set number of missions, and each mission gives a set number of experience, regardless of how many enemies you killed.

For instance, prior to the introduction of the DLC, it was literally impossible for a player to reach level 30 in their initial playthrough unless they had imported a high-level (50+) character from Mass Effect 1.

Damn, that kinda sucks, so on a second playthrough(supersoldier presumably for trophies) do you get extra experience when completing missions? also, do you characters keep their levels?

Top Bottom