• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The game is a bore-fest on insanity. The only enemies who flank you out from your cover are krogans, husks and dogs. Since they appear at selected locations only I usually end up sitting comfortably behind the cover and chirping away health, armor and shields bars. Blah. Even giant robots just stand in front of you while you can camp behind the cover. What's the point then?

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I wonder if EA will release some Dead Space-style suits for ME in the future... I'm surprised they haven't done so, with Isaac showing up in Skate, Dante's Inferno, Army of Two, MySims, Tiger Woods Golf, the PSN network, and Dragon Age 2.

I'd love to rock the Advanced Suit in ME2.

Yeah it would be quite the fit, but indeed it might be that the series are too similar and they don't want people to accidentally think they are within the same universe.

And i would like to use the Dragon Age armor etc. without the helmet :(

Sai

subversus said:
The game is a bore-fest on insanity. The only enemies who flank you out from your cover are krogans, husks and dogs.
As do Vanguards, Centurions(with Shotties), and Harbinger. They're the only enemies that consistently close the distance. I've had regular Mercenaries/Drones flank me out of cover numerous times as well. It depends on how much pressure you're putting on them, which enemies you take out first.

I know what you're saying though. I wish the difficulty settings wold rely more on the enemies' actions, rather than a boost to their damage modifiers.

marrec

Banned
subversus said:
The game is a bore-fest on insanity. The only enemies who flank you out from your cover are krogans, husks and dogs. Since they appear at selected locations only I usually end up sitting comfortably behind the cover and chirping away health, armor and shields bars. Blah. Even giant robots just stand in front of you while you can camp behind the cover. What's the point then?

I agree.

Just finished my first playthrough a few nights ago and I can't seem to find it in myself to say that it was a particularly fun experience. I blame enemy AI/Variety.

I really want to play the new DLC but they don't have any copies at Blockbuster.

That's what I get for being cheap.

Got WWE All Stars instead. o_O

subversus

hm, I'm learning about a lot of dissapointing things on my 3rd playhrough. That shows that choice is really limited even when they have no excuse to limit it from cost/production point of view.

Gamebanshee said:
Note: If Rana Thanoptis survived your encounter on Virmire in Mass Effect, then you'll meet up with her in the Medical Station. She'll tell you what she knows of Okeer's work -- "he wants to help his people, but he's not looking for a genophage cure, and he's not going for numbers" -- and you'll get an opportunity to earn some renegade or paragon points. However, there doesn't appear to be any way to kill her.

There's no excuse not to give me an option to kill her. I had that option in ME1 and I thought that I could kill her in ME2 until that playthrough.

marrec said:
I agree.

Just finished my first playthrough a few nights ago and I can't seem to find it in myself to say that it was a particularly fun experience. I blame enemy AI/Variety.

you bolded only that part but I was talking about insanity only. It was my GOTY of 2010.

Dresden

Lol, Mass Effect anime.

BioWare, a video game division of Electronic Arts, announced on Thursday that the North American distributor Funimation and the Japanese studio T.O. Entertainment agreed to produce an "anime feature film" based on BioWare's Mass Effect science-fiction role-playing game (RPG) franchise. The movie is already in production, and the producers aim to release the project via digital means and home video in the summer of 2012. T.O. Entertainment's other projects include Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts and Bungaku Shoujo.

One step closer to becoming an eroge developer.

So I'm playing my renegade Shepard and enjoy being a dick so much. I just let Miranda kill her best friend and told her we're going when she clearly wanted to talk to her sister. So good.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Where the heck do I get my Cerberus code? I bought it on Impulse and registered with the EADM. My key doesn't work.

NVM, figured it out.

Crewnh said:
So I'm playing my renegade Shepard and enjoy being a dick so much. I just let Miranda kill her best friend and told her we're going when she clearly wanted to talk to her sister. So good.

You monster!

I was tempted, but even in video games, I gotta be the good guy.

Mindlog

Crewnh said:
Just wait until Jack's loyalty mission.

I just beat Horizon with my Vanguard. I think the Vanguard class has the biggest trouble against the Praetorian, but I still got it in one go.

Zaeed/Garrus with Incisors and Concussion is crazy effective.

subversus

How much of renegade/paragon scale you have to have to get his loyalty even if you choose paragon solution on his mission?

Melchiah

subversus said:
How much of renegade/paragon scale you have to have to get his loyalty even if you choose paragon solution on his mission?

IIRC, I had about 75% of the paragon scale at the time.

Coxswain

subversus said:
I'm pretty sure the requirement scales up based on how far in the game you are. My first time through it was one of the last missions I did and it wouldn't let me choose the Paragon option at the end even though I had probably around 85% of the bar filled. On later playthroughs, I took care of him early on and was able to negotiate it with less than half the bar.

marrec

Banned
subversus said:
hm, I'm learning about a lot of dissapointing things on my 3rd playhrough. That shows that choice is really limited even when they have no excuse to limit it from cost/production point of view.

There's no excuse not to give me an option to kill her. I had that option in ME1 and I thought that I could kill her in ME2 until that playthrough.

you bolded only that part but I was talking about insanity only. It was my GOTY of 2010.

Ya, I only bolded that part because I haven't played through on Insanity. To me, the game was a bore-fest anytime you had to pull out a gun and shoot people. If you can get past the terrible shooter that it's trying to be then it's got a great story with fantastic characters.

As far as gameplay though, it was a huge dissapointment for me.

Finaly beat the Preathorian on Horizon. I just corner cheated the crap out of him ordering my squads mate to stay out of the center of the map.

After that, the game feels so easy on Insanity. I'm now a level 20 adept and double Heavy Warp + Pull/Singularity is god like. I'm going through anything with this.

I could get my Cain nuclear launch and I send the Preathorian on the Ghost Ship straight to his doom as soon as he poped out.

Now I'm planning the same strat against the Geth Colossus in Tali's dossier mission but I don't have enough energy for a nuke... :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would like to take this opportunity to formally apologize for posting that picture.

So...when can we expect a GOTY edition?

Is the Arrival the final DLC? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an announcement sometime in the next few months.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like to think of Mass Effect threads on NeoGAF as an adventure.

subversus

lol you guys got emotional there I think. I haven't read the thread since my last post to avoid spoilers but I read charlequin's post.

Mass Effect does things to people.

Psi

subversus said:
lol you guys got emotional there I think. I haven't read the thread since my last post to avoid spoilers but I read charlequin's post.

Mass Effect does things to people.

Based on some of the things I saw in the locked thread, it sure as hell doesn't do to me what it does to some people. I think there's just something wrong with them in the first place.

subversus

Psi said:
Based on some of the things I saw in the locked thread, it sure as hell doesn't do to me what it does to some people. I think there's just something wrong with them in the first place.

lol was there some Tali-Legion hot action in Tetsuo Iron Man style?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EatChildren said:

I told you guys not to and you went and did it anyways. Like perverted children you guys are

Patryn

Damn, never will I have a chance to click that link. Stupid work.

Or maybe good work?

Whatever, that Hanar was really pushing it.

EatChildren said:

They're more like Groundhog Day. And I like to think of myself as Ned Ryerson.

Patryn

Mindlog said:
Don't start!

Something something, new rooms in the Normandy.

Sorry.

Question: Given that the "event" in the Arrival leads directly into ME3, does that improve your opinion of it?

Because frankly I still feel the same way I did before: Poorly thought-out and way too padded (yet too short at the same time).

subversus

Patryn said:
Sorry.

Question: Given that the "event" in the Arrival leads directly into ME3, does that improve your opinion of it?

Because frankly I still feel the same way I did before: Poorly thought-out and way too padded (yet too short at the same time).

writing is the worst part. I could deal with bad combat but the final dialogue was poor and the plot twist could be seen from a mile away.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Arrival is still disappointing. Though The Project base (lol what a dumb name) looked nice.

That last bit was boring but also very nice looking.

JB1981

I just played the PS3 demo last night and I think this is going to be my next game. Question: PS3 or 360, which one is better? Digital Foundry says 360 has edge. True?

Grisby

JB1981 said:
I just played the PS3 demo last night and I think this is going to be my next game. Question: PS3 or 360, which one is better? Digital Foundry says 360 has edge. True?

The PS3 copy has supposedly better lighting I think (although to me it just looks off). If this is your first ME experience then go for the PS3 one as it has all of the DLC except for Arrival.

Both versions are pretty much the same.

Patryn

JB1981 said:

PS3 has some weird bugs. They may or may not be patched. On the other hand, it is one disc, no switching. On the 360, you need to switch disc twice.

360 was original lead platform, so it has some edge on that. 360 also has the massive advantage that you can acquire Mass Effect 1, play that game, and import the save. PS3 may have the comic, but it does a piss-poor job going over the events of the first game, and only allows you to make six decisions.

Mindlog

^^^^ Yeah, if you do have access to a 360 I would get the original ME with 2. -Grisby

Patryn said:
Sorry.

;D

I'm better off having played it, but it doesn't improve my perception of the content. Actually I probably think less of it now. As such an important part of the story I wish it had been given a better treatment.

Grisby

^^^^ Yeah, if you do have access to a 360 I would get the original ME with 2.

Just saying if you didn't want to switch disc's or buy the DLC off of Live then to go with the triple. But the prequel comic on there really isn't the same experience.

Grisby said:
^^^^ Yeah, if you do have access to a 360 I would get the original ME with 2.

Just saying if you didn't want to switch disc's or buy the DLC off of Live then to go with the triple. But the prequel comic on there really isn't the same experience.

*shrugs* I played ME & ME2 on the 360 before replaying ME2 on the PS3 and was fine with the comic. It basically served the purpose of catching the player up so I didn't really mind only having six choices.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK, I'm playing Mass Effect PC for the first time, just got into the Mako - how do I use the machine guns? There is no button for it in the controls options, what the heck. I can only use the cannon.

Nevermind, my key mappings are all messed up. The control remapping screen is so weird in this game.

Patryn

Auron_Kale said:
*shrugs* I played ME & ME2 on the 360 before replaying ME2 on the PS3 and was fine with the comic. It basically served the purpose of catching the player up so I didn't really mind only having six choices.

See, as piss poor some of the results of your choices were in ME2, I still liked stuff like running into Helena Blake on Omega that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Plus, Bioware claims some ME1 choices will roll into ME3, so take that how you will.

Top Bottom