• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Super Ultra Confirmed, Revealing October 19th, New Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
TheSeks said:
EVEN FURTHER DUMBED DOWN GUI/MECHANICS.

What exactly are you referring to? Everything they've shown so far is an improvement on ME2, it's impossible to dumb a game down further than that.

We're getting mods back, a huge improvement on power distribution, and new biotic/tech combos that bypass ME2's power cooldown system they haven't even touched on yet.

Chinner

Banned
im surprised you guys are complaining about female shep looking like a 15 year old girl. bioware makes twilight for boys remember.

Reuenthal

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
For some reason despite really loving ME1 and enjoying 2 I am having a hard time getting excited for the 3rd installment.

Don't know how likely it is, but how often have you read recent neogaf ME threads? Negative criticism/discussion can get people less excited about things sometimes.

Wallach

Chinner said:
im surprised you guys are complaining about female shep looking like a 15 year old girl. bioware makes twilight for boys remember.

Competition will be fierce to see whether ME3 or TW2 can give more Xbox 360 teenage boys boners, surely.

Zeliard

Just so I'm not constantly hating on Bioware/Mass Effect/Dragon Age, even though they fully deserve it, I'll say I'm genuinely looking forward to the following from Mass Effect 3:

- Character interactions - characterization and dialogue are generally-speaking something that, as low as Bioware has fallen, they can still consistently do pretty well, and occasionally very well

- Clint Mansell - hell yes. Probably the best decision Bioware has made since whatever they did during Baldur Gate 2's development

- the Codex - always well-written, detailed, and fun to read

- the general ambiance - Space opera games aren't too common outside of Mass Effect, and I'm a sucker for all sorts of sci-fi

Gameplay and main plot I have no real expectations/hopes, except that the former will once again basically be third-person shooter. I expect choices made in ME2 to have no meaningful impact at all, and C&C in ME3 to again strictly follow the binary paragon/renegade model. I expect elements like exploration and loot to be without any real substance.

If Bioware can surprise the people greatly disappointed with a series that once held so much promise, that'd be swell. Their priorities seem pretty misplaced, though, to say the least.

LQX

If a online pass is in the Limited Edition I will surely buy it. The PC DLC's never go on sale so it may be worth it rather than waiting months for a sale.

Reuenthal said:
Don't know how likely it is, but how often have you read recent neogaf ME threads? Negative criticism/discussion can get people less excited about things sometimes.

Thats a good point but I haven't really been following 3 very much. I am mostly basing the reaction to the demo at E3 which seemed really uninspired and I am not sure I want to play another Mass Effect without something new. Its odd. It could be because I just finished Deus Ex and they have thin layers of commonality between each other. I'm not sure.

I have zero interest in Mass Effect multiplayer and I only see this as taking development time away from the single player, and it gives me yet another reason to worry about the quality of this title.

Reuenthal

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Thats a good point but I haven't really been following 3 very much. I am mostly basing the reaction to the demo at E3 which seemed really uninspired and I am not sure I want to play another Mass Effect without something new. Its odd. It could be because I just finished Deus Ex and they have thin layers of commonality between each other. I'm not sure.

I see where you are coming from. Basically the E3 demo wasn't that impressive and as the third ME game in the row and based on what we know about it, it gives a feeling of been there done that, and a lack of fresh. I admit that I am also more excited for Skyrim because it seems a bigger change from Oblivion than ME3 is to the previous ME games and something more fresh. I still expect that I will really enjoy ME3 though.

Eh, I'm not exactly looking for MP in my ME, but I guess I'll have to see it in action before laying down a verdict. Every since Uncharted 2 happened, I learned that even if games don't particularly need an online component doesn't mean they can't do it especially well...and without cost to the single player experience.

I may not be interested in ME MP at the moment, but who the hell knows. I'm fickle.

RedSwirl

Zeliard said:
Just so I'm not constantly hating on Bioware/Mass Effect/Dragon Age, even though they fully deserve it, I'll say I'm genuinely looking forward to the following from Mass Effect 3:

- Character interactions - characterization and dialogue are generally-speaking something that, as low as Bioware has fallen, they can still consistently do pretty well, and occasionally very well

- Clint Mansell - hell yes. Probably the best decision Bioware has made since whatever they did during Baldur Gate 2's development

- the Codex - always well-written, detailed, and fun to read

- the general ambiance - Space opera games aren't too common outside of Mass Effect, and I'm a sucker for all sorts of sci-fi

Gameplay and main plot I have no real expectations/hopes, except that the former will once again basically be third-person shooter. I expect choices made in ME2 to have no meaningful impact at all, and C&C in ME3 to again strictly follow the binary paragon/renegade model. I expect elements like exploration and loot to be without any real substance.

If Bioware can surprise the people greatly disappointed with a series that once held so much promise, that'd be swell. Their priorities seem pretty misplaced, though, to say the least.

Definitely. I even found these elements enjoyable enough in Dragon Age 2. A part of me honestly wishes BioWare would just make a visual novel based on their engine and conversation system.

That said, I could MAYBE see them doing a Diablo-esque co-op mode for Mass Effect. Even then it would need to be separated from Shepard's story.

neoemonk

Regarding the online pass thing, I've read that if you buy a used game from Gamefly they send you the original box and manual, along with things that came in it like those codes. I haven't confirmed this yet, but I did pick up Dragon Age 2 for $13 earlier this week from a sale they had, so I'm about to find out.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm not as pessimistic about ME3 as most of you.

See, I thought the first Mass Effect was dumbed-down trash with lots of repetition, boring characters, and gameplay that sucked from both a strategy viewpoint and a pure action standpoint. The story was just okay, and mostly ripped from countless superior literary sources. It had some positive qualities, sure, but it was a far cry from Baldur's Gate 2.

That's why Mass Effect 2 was a pleasant surprise for me. I didn't care about the removal of gameplay elements, because those elements were rubbish in ME1 anyways, and the slightly more boring story was made up for by lots of interesting character sequences. And when it comes to gameplay, I'll take a second-rate cover shooter over a third-rate cover shooter with slightly more RPG elements.

I'm not ready to hate on ME3 yet (I love Mansel and the new skill/upgrade system for example)
But online pass ... sigh ...

Matt

rozay

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
I have zero interest in Mass Effect multiplayer and I only see this as taking development time away from the single player, and it gives me yet another reason to worry about the quality of this title.
It is not taking development time away from the single player.

Angry Fork

The_Technomancer said:
...you know, I got onto the ME train pretty late (played the first game in 2010, and beat ME2 this August) and I'd heard a fair amount about both games from the internet.

For the first time, I think, I can place myself in the position of someone who didn't know how the franchise was going to go, who just had the promise of ME1 to go on and now....I think I get why people are pissed. Hell, I think I'm a little pissed as well. I still want an epic space RPG this generation. I don't think the direction they took ME2 in was a bad one, but if you were looking to BioWare to carry the flag of their particular brand of RPG through the future, yeah, they screwed up.
Yup, basically why I hate ME2 so much. I recognize it's a well made game, I just wish it was completely different and a real sequel to ME1. Unless vehicle exploration is back I'm not interested in ME3. I'll read the plot details after it comes out or watch a walkthrough on youtube.

rozay said:
It is not taking development time away from the single player.

This is not something which you can guarantee, but the more important question is how the decision will affect game mechanics anyway. You only have to look at something like World of Warcraft to see the problems caused by trying to utilise PvE mechanics in a PvP situation.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
This is not something which you can guarantee, but the more important question is how the decision will affect game mechanics anyway. You only have to look at something like World of Warcraft to see the problems caused by trying to utilise PvE mechanics in a PvP situation.

I don't see any reason to think PvE mechanics would be utilized in a PvP situation. Not many games bear the limitations WoW does in that regard; I can't think of a single one in the console space that even does.

rozay

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
It's being developed by a different Bioware studio (Montreal), and will need different mechanics than the single player (provided it's PvP).

Wallach said:
I don't see any reason to think PvE mechanics would be utilized in a PvP situation. Not many games bear the limitations WoW does in that regard; I can't think of a single one in the console space that even does.

Funnily enough I think that Dead Island is going to have the same problems if they ever get around to releasing the PvP Arena but that's a matter for a different thread. With something like ME3 which presumably lacks persistence between SP and MP it's more a matter of weapon/item design and balance needing to account for both PvE and PvP.

rozay said:
It's being developed by a different Bioware studio (Montreal), and will need different mechanics than the single player (provided it's PvP).

So it's going to be as good as the boss fights in Human Revolution?

RedSwirl

neoemonk said:
Regarding the online pass thing, I've read that if you buy a used game from Gamefly they send you the original box and manual, along with things that came in it like those codes. I haven't confirmed this yet, but I did pick up Dragon Age 2 for $13 earlier this week from a sale they had, so I'm about to find out.

Yes they do. I'm pretty sure I've gotten codes with GameFly copies of games. I can at the very least confirm that you'll get the box and manual in perfectly new condition.

rozay

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
So it's going to be as good as the boss fights in Human Revolution?
They assisted Edmonton with ME2 and ME3's campaign, so hopefully not anywhere near as bad as that?

RedSwirl

Chairman Yang said:
I'm not as pessimistic about ME3 as most of you.

See, I thought the first Mass Effect was dumbed-down trash with lots of repetition, boring characters, and gameplay that sucked from both a strategy viewpoint and a pure action standpoint. The story was just okay, and mostly ripped from countless superior literary sources. It had some positive qualities, sure, but it was a far cry from Baldur's Gate 2.

That's why Mass Effect 2 was a pleasant surprise for me. I didn't care about the removal of gameplay elements, because those elements were rubbish in ME1 anyways, and the slightly more boring story was made up for by lots of interesting character sequences. And when it comes to gameplay, I'll take a second-rate cover shooter over a third-rate cover shooter with slightly more RPG elements.

Quality-wise Mass Effect is a very weird series for me (maybe BioWare in general).

I recognize that most of the first game's elements are mediocre on their own, but something about the whole package when put together made for a game that I was easily able to devote over 100 hours (and counting) to. I think I really just got pulled into the galaxy exploration along with the character and story interaction, and that made all the other elements of the game tolerable.

I enjoyed the sequel even more so for the same reasons, and it ended up being my favorite 2010 game. I recognize that it's dumbed down in terms of both RPG and shooter elements, but the interaction with the story and world was handled so well that those things were sort of a side distraction for me.

Beth Cyra

enzo_gt said:
This isn't true.

Please tell me this isn't true.
The E3 that MW was revealed they gave the graphics darling award to MW over Crysis.

I'll never forget this because of Elliot's reaction to it on a GFW back in the day.

Dual wielding romance options in Mass Effect 3. Feel extra fancy with a different paramour on each arm. Dual dialogue wheels mean that you can have your manhood complimented in two unique conversations in dolby digital stereo.

eXistor

I loved ME2, but they should have refined the rougher features from ME 1 instead of ditch them altogether. Also I hate how they went all Hollywood blockbuster music with part 2 instead of the very atmospheric synthesizer soundtrack from the first. I actually don't have high hopes for 3, I'm very worried it'll get even more mainstream, but if they can at least fix the level design, then I'm sure I'll enjoy it just the same.

metalshade

I’ll give you a hint … its big news that a lot of you have been eagerly awaiting. Check back in a few days for more on this exciting announcement.

Sure, if it is full text to gauge exactly what my shepard is about to say, but multiplayer, NO WAY!

A lot of us are eagerly awaiting anything but multiplayer. So much for listening to your fans!
After the tripe that was Dragonage 2, you cant afford to mess it up again, can you?!
Wait, can they?
:-(

Maybe Mass Effect 3 will be like the new Professor Layton game coming out.

It will have the shooting, turret sequences, and little customization in it's main mode...

BUT then it will also include a 100 hour long Mass Effect RPG as a completely separate game!

(Whatever, I still love both Mass Effects and will get 3 no matter what. :D)

GSR

Four-player co-op? Interesting. That suggests scenarios outside of the main game, since the squad size is three.

Derrick01

Banned
I can live with a horde mode I guess. It's not as insulting as full blown MP and it's being handled by another studio anyway. Worse things could have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom