• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive eShop Sale in Celebration of Super Smash Bros 3DS

LOLDSFAN

It's not as simple as bad or good. To me they are amazing and they greatly add to the game. That said, some people never get used to them.

A few bits of advice for anyone playing for the first time:

1) The best posture for me is sitting down with the 3DS sitting on my right knee. Not having to support the weight of the device with one hand helps greatly.

2) Keep in mind that the camera controls like a trackball or like "spinning a globe" (I believe this is the term Sakurai used). You flick the lower screen to start rotation and then you press it down again to stop rotation. This way you can spin very quickly by flicking the stylus, but you can also control precise aiming by dragging the stylus. This took my about 30 minutes to get used to the first time I played it.

I came to love the controls once I got used to them. I'm still holding out hope that Sakurai's next game is a KI:U successor for the Wii U.

Thanks for the advice. :)

You and others have convinced me to get it.

Salsa

KI or FE?

I'm stuck, I played FE demo it was sooo good, wish KI had a demo

New 3DS owner here

yeah I was in the same pickle earlier today and went with FE based on the demo and playing the other games in the series (plus seems to get more universal praise than KI and its controls)

jmizzal

yeah I was in the same pickle earlier today and went with FE based on the demo and playing the other games in the series (plus seems to get more universal praise than KI and its controls)

I never played any other FE game, i'm also scared KI is gonna be announced for WiiU once I buy it on 3DS lol

Platy

lol

I'm still debating it myself, since (besides Smash) I want StarFox 64 3D as well D:

KI or FE?

I'm stuck, I played FE demo it was sooo good, wish KI had a demo

New 3DS owner here

I had doubts about which game should I buy on this promotion ... and suddenly I realised that this is probably the only nintendo sale on this century. So ... why not ALL I want to play ?

Branson

You know, there's something fun about playing Nintendo games on a Nintendo system, even if emulation is super easy. I think I'll get LttP and Fzero. I never played LttP. And that's why I never played link between worlds

Salsa

I had doubts about which game should I buy on this promotion ... and suddenly I realised that this is probably the only nintendo sale on this century. So ... why not ALL I want to play ?

yeah. this was also my reasoning to get FE even tho I feel it could/should be cheaper

i'd get kid icarus if I had the money but i've got $42 left on the shop and that's all smash brawwwss

Who

Banned
Damn. Not even joking if OoT was on sale for 19.99 I might have jumped the gun and bought a black 3DSXL today. I'll be getting one for Smash, regardless.

I can't wait to dip back in to my digital library! KI:U, PokemonX, ALBW, SM3DL, FE:A etc. and I'll be able to download DKCR from my Platinum rewards, plus of course Smash.

Life will be good.

Salsa

yeah.. im still kinda tempted to pick up Uprising and charge more money to get smash on release but ughhhhhh I really shouldnt I have an expensive trip coming up

someone tell me they hate the game

maxcriden

yeah.. im still kinda tempted to pick up Uprising and charge more money to get smash on release but ughhhhhh I really shouldnt I have an expensive trip coming up

It might be the best 3DS game. You will love it if you don't mind the controls.

Sapiens

It might be the best 3DS game. You will love it if you don't mind the controls.
It's half a panzer dragoon type game and half an uncontrollable mess.

I admire the attention to detail in this game, but it certainly isn't the best game on the 3ds.

Jhoan

I think it's a damn good game and charming to boot even though you'll miss all the hilariously witty banter (unless you wear headphones) because you'll be focused way too much on the action.:p

There's so much stuff to unlock with it being a Sakurai game; it's incredibly polished. The controls are a bit awkward, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I bought it at $25 myself and enjoyed it.

The multiplayer will kick your ass though as a MP scrub myself because all the folks playing it have incredibly powerful weapons and abilities. It's still worth a couple of romps to unlock a bunch weapons and abilities for the SP.

braves01

Banned
Minish Cap is WAY better than I remember it being. It's smaller/shorter than any of the GBC games, but damn does it look gorgeous on the gamepad.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Kid Icarus Uprising is so tempting... I wouldn't get the stand though. How useful is the stand for helping play the game?

People who dislike this game or can't do the controls make NO sense to me. The game is probably the best portable game of all time.

I played the whole thing on the OG. The trick is to put your right pinky behind the screen and use your other fingers to support underneath the system. I never had an issue of my hands being uncomfortable or cramping and I played for hours.

I seriously can't understand people not "getting" the controls for this game. But even if you did... You only need super precise control to beat the game on the 9.0 difficulty. If you're really having a hard time put it on something easier.

But beating levels on the 9.0, man what a rush . And it really shows off how perfect the controls are to be able to play with that fidelity that it requires to beat a level at that difficulty.

Seriously , best portable game ever made.

maxcriden

It's half a panzer dragoon type game and half an uncontrollable mess.

I admire the attention to detail in this game, but it certainly isn't the best game on the 3ds.

Well, agree to disagree. Lots of people love it even more than I do. I dunno if it's my fave (DKCR 3D? Luigi's Mansion? LBW? Dream Team? Kirby? How can I choose?) but I am a huge fan of it.

Salsa

I dont know. I feel like picking up 2 games now considering smash is so close might be silly either way. Fire Emblem seemed like the best choice not just for my tastes but also for being discounted further..

think i'll hold off on KI. It's not like im gonna play everything at once.. we'll see, I have till the 18th

Miker

I'd say Kid Icarus, if you jive with the controls, has a shot at being the best 3DS game. It's a Sakurai-ass game, which is a good thing. That means tons of replayability, easter eggs, trophies, stat tracking, challenge boards, multiplayer, and a lot more. It has that genuine sense of "holy shit I can't believe they fit that much on this tiny cartridge." If you've ever owned a copy of Melee or Brawl and looked back at how much time you've spent with it, scrolling through all your trophies and stats and said "goddamn I've gotten a lot out of this game" with a stupid grin on your face, then pick up Kid Icarus Uprising right now.

And the stand is completely unnecessary - use your pinky.

EDIT: It's also really expensive for a physical copy. The price of new copies has been trending upward for some time now, too: http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/nintendo-3ds/kid-icarus-uprising

Jamix012

I dont know. I feel like picking up 2 games now considering smash is so close might be silly either way. Fire Emblem seemed like the best choice not just for my tastes but also for being discounted further..

think i'll hold off on KI. It's not like im gonna play everything at once.. we'll see, I have till the 18th

Alright, but know that the physical copy is fetching quite a premium right now, and rising, and who knows when Nintendo will put the digital version on sale again.

Salsa

look

if anyone has an $5 eshop code laying around I can buy both KI and Smash

cause i'd end up $25 short of smash and I can only buy on cards + tax so when I get smash on release I would have to buy a $35 one even tho I only wanna use $23 from it

otherwise shut up guys ;_;

Salsa

in fact i'd be even willing to buy a $5 code from one of you guys. Otherwise KI just fucks me over since I can only buy on eShop card increments :/

Fireblend

Banned
So I ended up buying Oracle of Seasons since I had some leftover credit that honestly wasn't going to be used anytime soon.

I already beat the Oracle games when they originally came out, but man, they're so good. I'm already on the second temple, not even the hype of the Smash Demo has managed to stop me from replaying this gem. I'm gonna be tempted to get Oracle of Ages now :p

And Salsa, enjoy Fire Emblem. Among the best games on 3DS, probably in my top 3, which is not easy to say considering the ridiculous amount of quality games available on the system. It's such a joy to play.

Damn I love this console.
p0QHO.gif

Fireblend

Banned
So, I just checked the OP.

:O Tropical Freeze is (probably) going to be on sale 2 weeks from now?!?!?!

My wallet :'( I just know I won't be able to say no.

Mine01

Its sad that discounted games in mexico price > not discounted games in usa :(

I guess i'll start buying 3ds games there, they are pretty cheap (for mexico standars)

Which of the Zelda Oracle games was the "action" and the "puzzle" of the two?

That breakdown has always seemed forced to me. Seasons has worse balance to the enemy damage, which makes it harder and more "actiony." They both have plenty of puzzles and decent action.

Ages is just the better game IMO.

braves01

Banned
Which of the Zelda Oracle games was the "action" and the "puzzle" of the two?

I thought they seemed about even. Maybe someone can dig up an interview where someone from Nintendo/Capcom that says whether they consciously tried to differentiate the games that way.

They're legit though, so I know you'll be buying both.

Top Bottom