• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive eShop Sale in Celebration of Super Smash Bros 3DS

For someone who's new to the Zelda series, are the Oracle games recommended? I believe I have A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS (never opened so I don't remember). I just don't know which of the Zelda games I should play first that will get me into the series.

Yeah they're both pretty good. In fact, all the zelda games on sale right now are all pretty good.

cacildo

This week has Link to the Past. Way better than the crap from last week (no Super Punch Out, wtf).

The only noteworthy deal last week was $40 SM3DW and $20 SM3DL.

But that´s exactly what made last week so great.

I mean, i own 3d world and dont exactly care for 3dland. But 3dWorld for $40 is the best price we will ever see for a long long time.

As for Link to the Past.... i got it as a club nintendo reward (as wii, than made the upgrade)

Its SO GOOD when i finally got everything ready to end the game i stop playing it. It must have been a few months now. I dont want to end it.

kennah

I think just Fire Emblem this week. AlBW is fairly common and can often be found for less than 25. Now to hope that animal crossing hours down to 20

But that´s exactly what made last week so great.

I mean, i own 3d world and dont exactly care for 3dland. But 3dWorld for $40 is the best price we will ever see for a long long time.

As for Link to the Past.... i got it as a club nintendo reward (as wii, than made the upgrade)

Its SO GOOD when i finally got everything ready to end the game i stop playing it. It must have been a few months now. I dont want to end it.
I suppose different strokes and all :p

I'm mainly in for Zelda and Metroid since I still have my Mario All Stars cartridge. I own Zelda and stuff too buy my controllers are dying on my SNES so I can only really use face buttons.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
When they do sales like this, it becomes so apparent that they have no interest in ever enabling cross-buy. I mean, they won't even put the multi-platform games on sale across the board! I would totally buy MM2 for Wii U, but it's only on sale for 3DS and I don't want that version. So dumb.

The End

I don't have my 3DS nearby so I can't check, did anyone notice whether the FE:A DLC went on sale with the main game?

braves01

Banned
For someone who's new to the Zelda series, are the Oracle games recommended? I believe I have A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS (never opened so I don't remember). I just don't know which of the Zelda games I should play first that will get me into the series.

The Oracle games are legit. The DS ones are the ones you want to avoid. If I were you, I'd try to play A Link to the Past first if you're able, otherwise just start with ALBW.

Is there any reason to avoid a digital copy of Kid Icarus Uprising and go physical? I remember hearing about how it's "unplayable" without the system cradle or something like that.

prateeko

When they do sales like this, it becomes so apparent that they have no interest in ever enabling cross-buy. I mean, they won't even put the multi-platform games on sale across the board! I would totally buy MM2 for Wii U, but it's only on sale for 3DS and I don't want that version. So dumb.

I agree completely and this only incentivizess me to avoid Nintendo online. With Sony I actually end up buying things I may not otherwise have because I know I can throw it onto the next console I get (e.g. I bought Jeanne D'Arc full price because I knew I could play it on my Vita and the PSP go I got for cheap and knew it wouldn't be an issue in terms of having to rebuy, which is also why I end up buying some PSOne games that otherwise wouldn't have).

Sony's online purchase approach encourages and makes me more willing to give them money even though they lose out on small opportunities for me to spend again on the same product they get more good will and laxity in terms of opening my wallet to future products. I'm more comfortable on PSN store and short term they may have missed out on a little but long term I guarantee they've made a lot more on me than they would have with a Nintendo approach.

It's not on sale and is bullshit.

Ridiculous. Knock off 10-20% and watch us all buy all the DLC and spend more than we would have if it was just normal full price

Roo

I fucking regret not purchasing F-Zero for Wii U when it was ¢30.
Now I don't know if I should get it now (never bought in from Wii VC) or wait for it to be a Club Nintendo reward... :/

Gruco

Banned
I am pretty tempted to go in on FE - I doubt we'll see a better price for another year. Been a while since I've played a FE game too, though I'm not stoked that this seems to be modeled after Sacred Stones. Is the DLC very important?

Elija2

Is there any reason to avoid a digital copy of Kid Icarus Uprising and go physical? I remember hearing about how it's "unplayable" without the system cradle or something like that.

The only thing you'd be missing out on are the 3DS stand and AR cards. The AR cards don't really do anything and many people are able to play the game fine without the stand.

Tom_Cody

Any chance this includes the Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC?
I don't believe that a complete edition exists.
I am pretty tempted to go in on FE - I doubt we'll see a better price for another year. Been a while since I've played a FE game too, though I'm not stoked that this seems to be modeled after Sacred Stones. Is the DLC very important?
Like most of Nintendo's DLC, the extra content for FE:A is largely extraneous. You can play through the game without touching it and you won't miss anything. It's mostly fan service, with a touch of pay-to-win (in the form of high exp and gold yielding enemies.)

FE:A is probably my single favorite 3DS game. I wouldn't get hung up on the DLC though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Def would push me over the edge to buy more VC stuff.

As it is I'm always so wishy washy buying games I love, but that I've already played a ton before. Just feel like cross buy would be the extra nudge I need sometimes. For now though Nintendo losing out of extra cash from me.

The only thing you'd be missing out on are the 3DS stand and AR cards. The AR cards don't really do anything and many people are able to play the game fine without the stand.

cool. i see they sell the stand on ebay anyway, so i'll just get it later if it is uncomfortable.

Platy

I am somehow happy for no OoT3d ..... that, Kid Icarus, Star Fox3D and DK:TP will destroy my wallet enoght =P

I don't believe that a complete edition exists.Like most of Nintendo's DLC, the extra content for FE:A is largely extraneous. You can play through the game without touching it and you won't miss anything. It's mostly fan service, with a touch of pay-to-win (in the form of high exp and gold yielding enemies.)

Yeah this is very much so on point. I'm doing a Lunatic, no death playthrough and ended up getting the Golden Pack DLC or whatever it's called. I'm just intereseted in playing more of it, if it were cheaper.

FE:A is probably my single favorite 3DS game.

Completely agree with this. I got it when it came out, and couldn't really get into it. I picked it up again out of the blue about 3 months ago and I can't put it down. I have put easily 100 hrs into it. Worth noting I had never played a FE game prior, but I do like Advanced Wars.

If I'm halfway through a physical version of a game and I buy the digital version can I continue on my save file?

Buy the digital one, download the save transfer tool from the eShop, and yes. It'll move the save from the cart onto your SD card

Edit: it moves ALL data, so the cart is wiped clean, like you bought it new. Also, extra data like Streetpasses or DLC don't discriminate between downloads or carts, so the data can be used by both at the same time if you keep the cart

I think it's finally time to buy Kid Icarus: Uprising and both Zelda Oracle games. Bought Super Mario 3D Land last week, so this sale has been a major hit for me so far. Looking forward to seeing what's coming next!

Dang, will get X2 and Minish Cap.

On the fence about Kid Icarus, I kinda want a cart since its a full modern game.

I was dithering over KI:U for the same reason, but physical copies are so hard to come by that eBay prices for this game have been marked up instead of down, and there's no sign of a cheap reprint (or better yet, a Wii U port) on the horizon. So I jumped.

As a rule of thumb I'm staying away from VC games that I reasonably expect will show up as Club Nintendo rewards, but I snagged Mega Man X and have my fingers crossed for Metroid Fusion. No precedent yet for Club Nintendo offering Capcom titles or GBA games, you see. Pity there wasn't a price cut on the Fire Emblem DLC.

SegaShack

Sonic 1 Game Gear is awesome, better than the first Genesis game IMO.

The only GG Sonic Games I don't have are Tail's Skypatrol and Sonic Labryinth. Wish those would go on sale.

Have like $7 on my eShop account at the moment. Minish Cap or one of the Oracle games? Played a little of Minish Cap and thought it was pretty good; haven't played either Oracle game.

The Oracle games are Zelda at it's best. Get both! They link together and give you tons of goodies in your adventures! Nobody should ever miss out on those games.

Zelda: Oracle of the Ages or Seasons, guys. What would you suggest for someone who's played neither.

Ages is more puzzle-based, and Seasons is more action-based. We're not talking opposites here, but they definitely lean a little towards one or the other. As a fan of puzzles, I prefer Ages. But really, they're both amazing and you should get both. If you can't, I guess go with whichever you feel more inclined towards.

Azuran

Banned
Zelda: Oracle of the Ages or Seasons, guys. What would you suggest for someone who's played neither.

In the end, you'll end up playing both like all of us, so pick whichever one grabs your interest first. I like Seasons more since it has better boss fights and prefer the change of seasons over time travel.

They're both amazing thought.

When it comes to which one to play first, should I play Seasons or Ages? I actually bought the two of them earlier during some sale but I never played them.

Ages is a little more puzzle based while Seasons is more combat focused. They are both great but I slightly prefer Seasons. You can't go wrong either way and you need to play them both to unlock the real final boss fight/ending.

Top Bottom