• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matador Victor Barrio killed by bull in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucreto

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36756723

A matador has died after being gored by a bull in Spain - the first bullfighter to die in the ring in Spain this century.

Victor Barrio, 29, a professional bullfighter, was killed when the bull's horn pierced his chest.

Television footage shows the bull throwing Barrio into the air before goring him on the right-hand side of his chest and violently throwing him.

El Pais newspaper said that in the past century, 134 people, including 33 matadors, had been killed by bulls in Spain.

About 2,000 bullfights are still held every year in Spain, but the numbers are falling. In 2010, Catalonia became the second Spanish region after the Canary Islands to ban the tradition.

Gore me if old.

I feel both ways about this. It's sad he lost his life and I hope he rests in peace but he was torturing a bull for the sake of entertainment and the bull was fighting for his life.

Edit: The Mirror have a video of him getting gored but I don't think it would be appropriated to link it here.

Aurongel

You mess with the bull...

the first bullfighter to die in the ring in Spain this century.

Found this kinda surprising actually.

EDIT:

About 2,000 bullfights are still held every year in Spain, but the numbers are falling. In 2010, Catalonia became the second Spanish region after the Canary Islands to ban the tradition.
Opponents describe the blood-soaked pageants as barbaric, while fans - including Mr Rajoy - say the tradition is an ancient art form deeply rooted in national history.

Well, hang it up boys. Apparently people think this caveman shit is high art.

Kathian

Banned
Any sport you've got to expect the opponent to be able to win. Tends to be why blood sports are a poor idea.

NFbLfvD.png

Fusebox

Banned
Wasn't even a fair fight and the bull still won. Does the bull become the title holder now or will they just kill it for revenge?

Jaeger

Yea. Just ban the stupid "sport" already. Same for cowboy rodeo bullshit. I am so tired of backward ass, stuck in a cave traditions.

I am not taking any of these people in space with me.

Fusebox

Banned
He deserves to be spared like Murcielago

I had to look that up, interesting story! Murcielago didn't kill anyone from what I can see but the logic is the same, this bull is at the top of his game and took out a top Matador, as morbid as it is I'm kind of hoping the real bullfighting fans treat this bull like a champion.

Effect

Wasn't even a fair fight and the bull still won. Does the bull become the title holder now or will they just kill it for revenge?

I've read mixed things about it. From what I remember reading the bull can't be used anymore if it wins because it will have learned from the experience and would be even more dangerous the next time. The conflicting thing is I once read it's not killed but allowed to live a natural life. Another said it's killed anyway. I think that might depend on where the fight happens as well.

Mr-Joker

Banned
while fans - including Mr Rajoy - say the tradition is an ancient art form deeply rooted in national history.

Just because something is "tradition" doesn't mean that it's correct or immune to a changing time, there is no need to kill bull for sports.

Furthermore I also believe that Horse racing should be banned along with any sport that puts animal under a lot of stress.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
RIP to the matador, but yeah, it's cruel and awful. And it could absolutely be done without killing the bull. If you REALLY need to stab a bull for cultural reasons, use tranquilizing darts, not swords. Then you could have your tradition, spectacle and it would still be just as dangerous for the Matador, but the bull would live.

Dennis

Banned
Well, if the bull doesn't have a fighting chance then it is not sport - just slaughter.

What are people expecting the bull to do when it is tormented?

Ideally, the bull should get freedom and many cows on pasture. He won fair and square.

Well, if the bull doesn't have a fighting chance then it is not sport - just slaughter.

Ideally, the bull should get freedom and many cows on pasture. He won fair and square.

I think the bull went on to fight M. Bison. More updates as they happen.

Nephtis

The worst part is that the bull was probably put down after this.

This. Give that bull all the cows.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What happens to the bull now? It'd be bad sportsmanship to kill it, ship him off to Hawaii and let him enjoy the rest of his life on some beach.

[edit[

Saw the video, it honestly doesn't look like the bull hit him hard enough to cause a lot of damage. It must have hit him in some vital place or something, I dunno.

Mr_Moogle

It always amazes me that people get so antsy about bullfighting. I mean think about all the horrible shit we do to animals everyday for the purpose of food. This is small potatos in comparison.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It always amazes me that people get so antsy about bullfighting. I mean think about all the horrible shit we do to animals everyday for the purpose of food. This is small potatos in comparison.

Agree. I honestly don't know how people complain about bull fighting but have absolutely no problems eating a hamburger. I guess its an out of sight out of mind thing.

Yup it is a completely disgusting practice. You're torturing an animal for sport.

I mean technically that's true for various sports, you're torturing and killing animals for sport is the hiccup.

there are actual laws in place to make it less torturous usually and you don't have an audience cheering the slaughter machine on present.

Fj0823

Excuse me while I mourn over this tragedy...

xaSVDJr.gif

A bew hew....a bew hew hew....

Yeeeesh,a person with a family just died.

His participation in this kind of "art" is disgusting yes, but this is a bit much.

You look no better than the people who would've laughed at the bull's death

Zakalwe

Banned

I happen to be vegan, and I'm doing my best to boycott and raise awareness without being a dick about it, so I can say with integrity it's all fucking disgusting.

Think of the mental gymnastics you have to do to get a point where you think horse racing is okay and bullfighting isn't.

The grand national is the fucking worst.

"Let's shove too many horses on the track, oh, a horse has fallen over and has broken a leg? Don't treat it or give it to a sanctuary to heal and live out the rest of it's days, just fucking kill it".

Nephtis

Yeeeesh,a person with a family just died.

His participation in this kind of "art" is disgusting yes, but this is a bit much.

You look no better than the people who would've laughed at the bull's death

I don't know about *laughing* but the matador knew what he was getting into. plus the fact that the bull didn't choose to participate, well... I mean, I aint shedding any tears for the man.

Fj0823

the bull didn't choose to participate. Laughing might be a bit much, but a bullfighter getting killed by a bull is def Darwin Award material.

I agree, still I'm not one for celebrating a man's death.

No matter how incredibly stupid his life choices were

Mr_Moogle

I happen to be vegan, and I'm doing my best to boycott and raise awareness without being a dick about it, so I can say with integrity it's all fucking disgusting.

I'm not advocating vegan or vegetarianism but I feel that our society could function just fine with a small fraction of the amount of meat we're currently consuming.

What really pisses me off though is the hypocrisy of the people getting on their high horse about Bullfighting when they are living in a society that actively engages in animal cruelty on a mass scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom