• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matador Victor Barrio killed by bull in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a horrible "tradition" that needs to be banned. But I disagree strongly with the posts here celebrating this man's death. I find that disturbing.

I think is way sicker to make fun of the death. And, again, totally unnecesary.
Nah dude, you're not hurting anyone by making fun of his admittedly humorous death. This guy basically makes fun of the death of a tortured bull, kills the bull, and propagates an industry that tortures and kills bulls. That guy who posed the Boo Hoo picture is basically a Saint compared to that.

I never understood why this is brought up as an argument to feel bad or someone's death.

You're not obligated to mourn the death of every human being, even less so if you have no personal connection at all. This dude died doing something repulsive. People will react to that.

So put the moral grandstanding on hold maybe.
I always feel bad because a unique ecosystem of micro organisms that survived and reproduced for millions and millions of generations dies off with the person, but that doesn't mean that we can't laugh at this.

Yeeeesh,a person with a family just died.

His participation in this kind of "art" is disgusting yes, but this is a bit much.

You look no better than the people who would've laughed at the bull's death

The guy had a choice to NOT do this. The bull had no such choice.

He chose to spend his life stabbing animals slowly to death. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Carcetti

Completely disgusting response.

The guy is leaving wife and 2 children.

Totally unnecessary.

A man dedicated his life to a life-threatening sport that's based on torturing innocent animals. It's totally on him and I feel zero sympathy for him. His family I can empathize with but any hurt they got from this is totally on him as well.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Never realized this was such an evil sport, I've always assumed it featured a matador waving a red cape around and dodging a bull for like 10 min. I didn't realize the goal was to KILL the bull. And they have to severely cripple it too beforehand, like the bad guy from Russle Crowe's Gladiator.

All matadors are cowards, and the one that died received a coward's death.

Yeah I just thought you pissed the bull off for laughs, so more dickish than evil but apparently I was wrong.

It's a bit disgusting how some of you have "no sympathy" whatsoever for this man, and even celebrating his death? Wow. I agree that bull fighting is wrong and needs to end, but come on. This is a human being with wife and kids.

ShowDog

I don't understand who is seeking sympathy. The risk of death is the entire appeal of the bullfight. It's part of being a matador. Obviously the guy didn't want to go out and leave his family behind, but it was a battle and he lost. Machismo and all that.

I don't think his family will get the respect and mourning of their father/husband they may seek, but I don't believe they want sympathy.

Here's a disclaimer about how I understand it's not a fair fight with the work they do on the bulls prior, which is likely why this is the first death since '85. But it's still a thing that can happen, despite being less likely than they would hope to make it appear.

Siegcram

It's a bit disgusting how some of you have "no sympathy" whatsoever for this man, and even celebrating his death? Wow. I agree that bull fighting is wrong and needs to end, but come on. This is a human being with wife and kids.
Again, how does him simply being a human being entitle him to sympathy? He signed up for this. The bulls most certainly didn't.

If anything his wife and children should be mad at him for choosing that cruel and risky profession. Not at some people on a forum (not that they care either way about what GAF says about him, so maybe they should be left out of the discussion entirely).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool.

So don't get involved with this vile bullshit.

Valhelm

contribute something
There's no ifs about it, bullfighting is wrong and his was a completely unnecessary death.

It's gross, but slaughterhouse killing isn't much more better. Sure, we get food out of it, but I'm sure that the amount of meat we waste every day is a lot more than all the bulls killed by bullfighting in a year.

Lebron

I think is way sicker to make fun of the death. And, again, totally unnecesary.

Terrorizing an innocent bull because "fun" is totally unnecessary. They laugh and applaud at the whole spectacle.

So excuse me if I don't cry when they finally get theirs. I rather toast to the bull. He swept the leg

mx6ZIO9.gif

BibiMaghoo

I feel bad for his family, and I feel bad for the bull.

But otherwise fuck that guy. You want to torture a bull to death for sport then you pretty much deserve it.

BriGuy

I'm of this mindset too. I don't condone his career choice in the slightest, but I still feel sorry that he died so young and so pointlessly. I feel sorry for the bull too.

It's gross, but slaughterhouse killing isn't much more better. Sure, we get food out of it, but I'm sure that the amount of meat we waste every day is a lot more than all the bulls killed by bullfighting in a year.
There's also not a bunch of people cheering on a slaughterhouse.

RM8

Sad event overall. If only we could prevent the unnecessary death of bulls and bullfighters. If only. Sigh.

Sad event overall. If only we could prevent the unnecessary death of bulls and bullfighters. If only. Sigh.
I mean it seems like we were preventing the unnecessary death of bullfighters for 35 years before this guy ended the streak. They stacked the deck to end that.

Patapwn

Reading this thread you would guess bullfighters are literally hitler

Gaf bullfighter reactions are always a treat. Just as much a treat as that nice tasty burger you just ate

Monster Zero

Reading this thread you would guess bullfighters are literally hitler

Gaf bullfighter reactions are always a treat. Just as much a treat as that nice tasty burger you just ate

I remember the time when I blinded and tortured a cow in a death match before I had my Mcdouble

V_Arnold

I feel sympathy and sorry for his family.
But, he chose to go up against a bull. Its akin to a deathwish, but hey. FUCK cultural remnants like this (that includes whale hunting, killing animals for mystical mumbo jumbo parts, and this bullfighting "tradition" as well) that makes people believe that this is actually a profession worth pursuing.

And of course countless of sentient animals are killed thanks to this "tradition", and lets add the civil casualties as well every once in a while...totally undefensible.

Gloggins

I read that not only are they going to kill the bull but its mother as well. Humans are fucking horrible. RIP to the bulls only.

It sucks that someone died but frankly, thats the price you pay for contributing towards a shit sport/tradition. He knew what he was getting himself into.

Regardless, this shit should be banned. Animals aren't toys.

DOWN

Banned
It always amazes me that people get so antsy about bullfighting. I mean think about all the horrible shit we do to animals everyday for the purpose of food. This is small potatos in comparison.

Agree. I honestly don't know how people complain about bull fighting but have absolutely no problems eating a hamburger. I guess its an out of sight out of mind thing.
Industrial animal slaughter is nothing like the torture of bull fighting and is generally designed so that the animals don't experience any long episode of pain.

Valhelm

contribute something
There's also not a bunch of people cheering on a slaughterhouse.

That's not a meaningful difference. Bullfighting is sad, but way more cattle die in the slaughterhouse than in the arena.

Much like hunting, bullfighting at least gives these animals a much freer and oftentimes longer life than animals in the meat industry enjoy.

Siegcram

That's not a meaningful difference. Bullfighting is sad, but way more cattle die in the slaughterhouse than in the arena.

Much like hunting, bullfighting at least gives these animals a much freer and oftentimes longer life than animals in the meat industry enjoy.
Well, numbers and their prior life aren't really a meaningful difference either. It's the violent death and, in case of bullfighting, the torture preceding it that people take issue with.

dakun

Again, how does him simply being a human being entitle him to sympathy? He signed up for this. The bulls most certainly didn't.

If anything his wife and children should be mad at him for choosing that cruel and risky profession. Not at some people on a forum (not that they care either way about what GAF says about him, so maybe they should be left out of the discussion entirely).

exactly.. i hate this shit. "we are all humans etc." shit.
I wouldn't have sympathy if a man who hunted lions "just for fun" was killed by them either. This case is no different to me.

Fuck humans if they decide to be this despicable.

Pinkuss

vegans are wild. This post lmao

Eh? Bull fighting is barbaric yes, but the way we treat animals for meat is also horrible. In the end bulls raised for bull fighting live better lives:

You must have missed the part where I said 'neither end is particularly pleasant'.

Either way, an animal's existence doesn't just consist of it's end. Consider the animal's life beforehand. Bulls raised for fighting live for years, roaming the plains, eating good food, being treated well and respected - animals raised for food are treated inhumanely for the entirety of their lives. I do not support bull-fighting, but do see the irony of someone criticising it while chewing down a McRib.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...hting-bull-beef-most-ecological-meat-in-world

Sorry some of us value non mistreatment of a life.

holygeesus

Banned
Industrial animal slaughter is nothing like the torture of bull fighting and is generally designed so that the animals don't experience any long episode of pain.

Animals raised for food live entire lives of suffering, and their end is hardly humane. People seem to want to pretend that it isn't the case, for their own peace of mind.

Beefy

Animals raised for food live entire lives of suffering, and their end is hardly humane. People seem to want to pretend that it isn't the case, for their own peace of mind.

Do the public all crowd round and cheer as the animal raised for food suffers then dies?

I agree animals that are breed for food need to treated better. But unlike bull fighting it isn't done for sport, it isn't done to cheer and laugh and clap at as the animal is getting stabbed etc.

Pinkuss

Do the public all crowd round and cheer as the animal raised for food suffers then dies?

I agree animals that are breed for food need to treated better. But unlike bull fighting it isn't done for sport, it isn't done to cheer and laugh and clap at as the animal is getting stabbed etc.

I doubt that all matters to the animal? Maybe it makes it easier to justify..

Beefy

I doubt that all matters to the animal? Maybe it makes it easier to justify..

Again I didn't justify the conditions most animals breed for food are in. I just see killing a animal for sport as being far easier thing to stop.

I guess you being Vegan you are picky what clothes etc you buy as well right?

Pinkuss

Again I didn't justify the conditions most animals breed for food are in. I just see killing a animal for sport as being far easier thing to stop.

I guess you being Vegan you are picky what clothes etc you buy as well right?

Makes sense then. And indeed I do; down to the animal glue etc (it's pretty easy should you choose to look for the stuff).

zeemumu

Well, I mean...it's a bull. You're taunting a bull to impale you. It's sad but not really unexpected.

I'm surprised that this has only happened once in the last century. How many people die during the running of the bulls?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
God damnit, with some people coming into the thread waving about their sarcastic "stfu you probably eat meat" mentality. And I'm saying this as someone who's (attempting) to become a vegan himself (more for health reasons, but the morality is great too). If someone condemns bullfighting while eating a Big Mac, fucking let them. The more voices condemning the sport, the better. Let them know it's ironic after the fact, will yah?

holygeesus

Banned

I'm not pro bullfighting, however for people to be celebrating the death of the matador does strike me as odd seeing as they fuel an industry that wallows in animal suffering.

it's worth stating again, that the bull is used for food afterwards as well.

Patapwn

God damnit, with some people coming into the thread waving about their sarcastic "stfu you probably eat meat" mentality. And I'm saying this as someone who's (attempting) to become a vegan himself (more for health reasons, but the morality is great too). If someone condemns bullfighting while eating a Big Mac, fucking let them. The more voices condemning the sport, the better. Let them know it's ironic after the fact, will yah?
Hold on there, I dont think anyone in this thread really supports bullfighting. There's definitely an element of brutality that should repel people of modernity. The snark I think comes as a response to people apparently cheering the death of another human which is as much if not more disturbing. You can call for the end of a tradition without rejoicing in tragedy

Well, I used to condemn bullfighting as a barbaric sport, but the vegans in this thread who point out my hypocrisy for eating meat have convinced me. I can no longer condemn bullfighting. ¡Ole, matador!

HardRojo

Oh it gets even better. This is pure art /s
They will slaughter the mother too.

So tradition dictates that a bull that killed for its life is sentencing its mother to the slaughterhouse? It's like this "sport", "art" or whatever brings out the worst of human bestiality.

Azuran

Banned
I can't even pretend to feel sad for people that die like this. This is like someone laying down in the middle of a busy highway and expect to make it out in one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom