• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matador Victor Barrio killed by bull in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

He put himself into this situation for the only reason to entertain a crowd by slowly torturing an animal.

I do feel bad for him and his family, but it's a stupid tradition

The Beard

I can't muster up any sympathy for this guy.

Same way I wouldn't feel sorry for someone accidentally killing themself while setting kittens on fire.

Torturing animals is one thing I'll never be an advocate for. Anyone who does it is a vile piece of shit, regardless if you try to mask it as "art", or "sport", or whatever the fuck.

holygeesus

Banned
Then stop with the whole "I bet people who hate this just ate a burger" nonsense and get to the point.

Do you not see the irony at all? At the end of the day, the bull slaughtered 'for sport' ends up on the plate of some Spanish family, just as a cow slaughtered 'for food' does. The journey is different but the outcome is the same.

A bull bred for bullfighting lives a privileged life, enjoying the best of care, and treated with respect until this final show. A cow bred for your Sunday roast is born into a life of misery from the start and it's death, while not being cheered as sport, is anything but painless and short-lived.

I find it amazing that this is the point people seem to focus on, rather than the utterly bizarre attitude to a man being killed in this thread. Unless of course, you celebrate the death of slaughterhouse workers with the same joviality?

The ignorance of meat eaters is truly baffling to me. If you can tell yourself the meat you are eating came from an animal that didn't suffer, then good for you but you are beyond deluded.

LiK

it really is hard to feel anything for people who died torturing an animal. they should get rid of this "sport"

Do you not see the irony at all? At the end of the day, the bull slaughtered 'for sport' ends up on the plate of some Spanish family, just as a cow slaughtered 'for food' does. The journey is different but the outcome is the same.

A bull bred for bullfighting lives a privileged life, enjoying the best of care, and treated with respect until this final show. A cow bred for your Sunday roast is born into a life of misery from the start and it's death, while not being cheered as sport, is anything but painless and short-lived.

I find it amazing that this is the point people seem to focus on, rather than the utterly bizarre attitude to a man being killed in this thread. Unless of course, you celebrate the death of slaughterhouse workers with the same joviality?

The ignorance of meat eaters is truly baffling to me. If you can tell yourself the meat you are eating came from an animal that didn't suffer, then good for you but you are beyond deluded.

What is your endgame here? Because your argument isn't going to end up with meat-eaters giving up hamburgers, but deciding that bullring animals live 99.9% of a wonderful life and is a fine pastime.

holygeesus

Banned
What is your endgame here? Because your argument isn't going to end up with meat-eaters giving up hamburgers, but deciding that bullring animals live 99.9% of a wonderful life and is a fine pastime.

I am a meat eater. Never said otherwise. Had a beautiful roast beef dinner today in fact. I guess my end game is for people to consider where the food on their table comes from and how it gets there.

Zakalwe

Banned
If you feel for this animal to the point of speaking out angrily, and you still eat meat, you're a hypocrite.

You have to be extremely deluded to think animals are treated well during the factory process. They might try to minimise the suffering as best they can, but that's when the system is working as intended, and there's plenty of evidence that show these systems don't always work as intended.

So at the /very/ best, the animals have their suffering lessened. They still suffer, they're still murdered for their meat.

It's fine if you want to eat meat, but championing one animal's suffering while you support another's just makes you look foolish.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp, meat eaters, go on home. Stopping bullfighting should be left entirely to the morally just vegans (of which there are not very many of and most people don't take very seriously). Time to bring your apathy out in full swing! Carry on, Spanish! Carry on!

I am a meat eater. Never said otherwise. Had a beautiful roast beef dinner today in fact. I guess my end game is for people to consider where the food on their table comes from and how it gets there.
So, you're morally superior because you know that animal farming is bad for animals, but people who don't consider that are the real hypocrites?

If you feel for this animal to the point of speaking out angrily, and you still eat meat, you're a hypocrite.

You have to be extremely deluded to think animals are treated well during the factory process. They might try to minimise the suffering as best they can, but that's when the system is working as intended, and there's plenty of evidence that show these systems don't always work as intended.

So at the /very/ best, the animals have their suffering lessened. They still suffer, they're still murdered for their meat.

It's fine if you want to eat meat, but championing one animal's suffering while you support another's just makes you look foolish.
I guess I don't condemn bullfighting anymore. Those dog-eating festivals are fine, too. Why not hunt whales and sharks with impunity? The "hypocrite" brigade is doing good work here!

Kysen

Who would have guessed that getting in a ring with a wild animal and then continuously provoking it would turn out badly?

Lebron

So basically, you have no idea what you're actually trying to say.

nOoblet16

Well, if he hadn't tried to torture and kill a dangerous animal for 'fun', the dangerous animal wouldn't have killed him. Maybe this is a tradition the world could do without.

If you don't understand the difference between quickly and humanely killing a cow raised for its meat, which has purpose and necessity, and slowly stabbing and torturing a bull to death for fun in an arena, then I don't know what to tell you.
On the other hand cows raised for their meat are raised in a bad environment for years while the bulls raised for bull fighting are raised in privilege for years.

Can you honestly say one is better than the other in this case? The people claiming that consuming meat is just as bad have a point.

Fury451

Banned
The lack of empathy in here is something else. Bullfighting should be done away with. It's disgusting and barbaric, as are some of these comments.

holygeesus

Banned
So basically, you have no idea what you're actually trying to say.

It's pretty clear what I am saying. People with no sympathy for the guy who died, are hypocritically supporting an industry that systematically abuses animals, if they eat meat.

Socreges

Banned
I'm conscious of where my meat comes from. It's important to me that the animals are treated and killed humanely. A premium is paid, but it's worth it.

Meanwhile you have bullfighting which is torturing bulls for entertainment.

There is a difference.

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree that its hard to sympathize much with the bullfighter. He also knew the risk. I sympathize more for his family and friends who lost someone though :\ I also cant believe that this "sport" is still allowed.

Roo

I just saw the video.
Seems like he died immediately.
Such a shame this stupid "tradition" is still allowed.

Oh well, he knew the risks of his "job" and unfortunately paid for it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Whelp, meat eaters, go on home. Stopping bullfighting should be left entirely to the morally just vegans (of which there are not very many of and most people don't take very seriously). Time to bring your apathy out in full swing! Carry on, Spanish! Carry on!

No, by all means carry on. Bull fighting is disgusting, as many voices as possible please.

Just be aware you're a hypocrite if you legitimize one animal suffering while you wave away another, especially as the latter is done simply for your appetite.

It does make you look foolish. It does make you a hypocrite. I didn't ever say stop protesting, I said be aware of this.

And hopefully the awareness will lead to change.

derFeef

I'm conscious of where my meat comes from. It's important to me that the animals are treated and killed humanely. A premium is paid, but it's worth it.

Meanwhile you have bullfighting which is torturing bulls for entertainment.

There is a difference.

There is nothing humane in killing an animal.
But whatever, this sport needs to stop, together with wahling in the Faroe Islands and other things of "tradition" just for the sake of bloodlust.

Acidote

Oh it gets even better. This is pure art /s
They will slaughter the mother too.

It's not only the bull's mother. Apparently they'll kill the whole bloodline.

The thing is, bullfighting is dying and would already be dead without the government subsidies. It's one of many other things in this country being held out by the older population's votes.

Bullfighting vs Chick culling, which is more barbaric?

Both tbh, bull fighting because of the way the bull is killed for sport and chick culling because they're basically killing animals for being born wrong ..... Not to mention the baby chicks are cute as hell, I mean who doesn't feel bad killing chirping little fluff balls?

At least for what it's worth a few companies these days use the baby chicks for like dog food or what ever

uniform

Not to mention the baby chicks are cute as hell, I mean who doesn't feel bad killing chirping little fluff balls?

I would imagine the person responsible for putting them in the grinder. A task like that you would imagine they have to look at them as just defective product, not living creatures. That and bolting cattle (Do they still do that?) are jobs I have difficulty understanding how they do it without it wearing them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom