• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matador Victor Barrio killed by bull in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Same thing in Portugal but it's popularity is decreasing.

Btw Americans will be surprised to know that in California there is bullfighting during religious festivals by the Portuguese Azorean community. The bull isn't killed or made to bleed though. The sticks they 'stab' the bull with have velcro on them, and the bull has a velcro patch on its back.
That seems like a less cruel alternative that still allows tradition. I hope they try that in Spain.

holygeesus

Banned
christ your posts are so disingenuous. agriculture and bullfighting aren't the same thing. you sound like some peta nutjob.

It's a fair point. Bulls raised for fighting live a privileged life before the 'battle' in comparison to animals raised for the slaughterhouse, and neither end is particularly pleasant, so I can see the irony.

Well, if he hadn't tried to torture and kill a dangerous animal for 'fun', the dangerous animal wouldn't have killed him. Maybe this is a tradition the world could do without.

Agree. I honestly don't know how people complain about bull fighting but have absolutely no problems eating a hamburger. I guess its an out of sight out of mind thing.

It's a fair point. Bulls raised for fighting live a privileged life before the 'battle' in comparison to animals raised for the slaughterhouse, and neither end is particularly pleasant, so I can see the irony.

If you don't understand the difference between quickly and humanely killing a cow raised for its meat, which has purpose and necessity, and slowly stabbing and torturing a bull to death for fun in an arena, then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't understand why I should have sympathy for this man,its his fault his family is without him, he knew the risks and fucked up. Not only in an abhorrent 'sport'.

holygeesus

Banned
If you don't understand the difference between quickly and humanely killing a cow raised for its meat, which has purpose and necessity, and slowly stabbing and torturing a bull to death for fun in an arena, then I don't know what to tell you.

You must have missed the part where I said 'neither end is particularly pleasant'.

Either way, an animal's existence doesn't just consist of it's end. Consider the animal's life beforehand. Bulls raised for fighting live for years, roaming the plains, eating good food, being treated well and respected - animals raised for food are treated inhumanely for the entirety of their lives. I do not support bull-fighting, but do see the irony of someone criticising it while chewing down a McRib.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...hting-bull-beef-most-ecological-meat-in-world

In Spain, as in many parts of the world, he maintains: "Most beef cattle are killed within a year and a half of birth; their diet is very forced, being designed to make them grow unnaturally fast; and they live in very cramped conditions." By contrast, Díaz Yubero contends that the fighting bulls enjoy a higher quality of life, since their breeders are "aiming to promote health, bravery and vitality so that a select number of the herd can show off their qualities in the bullring".

He believes even those who end up in the ring have a better deal, overall, than commercially raised animals. "For 15 minutes, they undeniably suffer the stress of combat; for the rest of the time they and the rest of their breed are able to enjoy all the pleasures and privileges possible for cattle, roaming in their natural environment among the acorn trees of the dehesa [pasture], and eating their preferred foods."

While animal suffering is, of course, impossible to quantify, Díaz Yubero argues: "The stress that normal beef cattle endure from the time they enter the transport truck to the time spent waiting to be killed at industrial abattoirs is at least comparable." The consensus among those I spoke to was that fighting bulls are transported and kept in far better conditions than industrially farmed animals at a slaughterhouse.

Hypron

Have you seen the conditions many (industrial) farm animals live in? They're essentially tortured for their entire lives.

Barbaric tradition that should be banned. But I feel hypocritical saying that as someone who enjoys eating meat and knowing the awful conditions that a lot of animals go through before they are slaughtered for food. But at least there is value in food. There is no value in killing an animal for sport.

To Spanish Gaf, is bullfighting your Second Amendment?

ig: a tradition which struggles to remain relevant in the modern world?

Yep.

But at least it's has been in decline in the last decades, so we know it will eventually disappear in say, 25-30 years. I don't think that will be the case of the Second Amendment!

Fans consider it an 'art' which is silly, basically every aspect of human activity can be considered art if you look at it hard enough. Having fun by killing slowly animals is just icky.
That said we have to be aware we wouldn't be saving any bulls banning bullfighting, they were going to be killed all along.

It always amazes me that people get so antsy about bullfighting. I mean think about all the horrible shit we do to animals everyday for the purpose of food. This is small potatos in comparison.

Agree. I honestly don't know how people complain about bull fighting but have absolutely no problems eating a hamburger. I guess its an out of sight out of mind thing.

agricultural practices of raising cattle for meat are barbaric, but then again most predators (humans included) are not kind to their prey. we have to keep fighting to make conditions and hopefully one day reduce our meat consumption. it is not hypocritical to want to see at least one less form of torture towards animals banned. there is no purpose in bullfighting.

Yeeeesh,a person with a family just died.

His participation in this kind of "art" is disgusting yes, but this is a bit much.

You look no better than the people who would've laughed at the bull's death

the bull didn't have a choice, the guy. no sympathy for him, screw him and anyone who supports this barbaric practice.

We kill many animals for sport, the only difference is this is in an arena, killing animals for sport is a million dollar industry, why are we celebrating the death of this man. I'm curious on peoples thoughts on horse racing and bull riding compared to hunting deer or other game.

*Mid-post change*

Soooo right before I posted the above I decided to go ahead and read

http://www.stopbullfighting.org.uk/facts.htm

And I must respectfully refrain from playing devils advocate, I'll leave the above post up cause it's ignorant as fuck, I didn't know bull fighting was so cowardice. Hard to gather empathy for this man. Being informed changes things

I don't support horse racing and I think there are much better ways to keep Deer populations in check, not a big fan of "sport" hunting anyway.
a sport is usually two opponents on equal footing competing against each other, the Deer sure as shit can't carry a rifle and don't even know they are being targeted.

holygeesus

Banned
Barbaric tradition that should be banned. But I feel hypocritical saying that as someone who enjoys eating meat and knowing the awful conditions that a lot of animals go through before they are slaughtered for food. But at least there is value in food. There is no value in killing an animal for sport.

The bull meat is sold as food afterwards.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the matador chose to torture a bull and put himself in the situation to begin with. On the other hand... Oh wait, I guess I don't have mixed feelings at all. I have zero sympathy for the matador whatsoever.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
A bit hard to feel sympathy when this guy knew exactly what he was risking and that the reason of this risk is very questionable at best.

You must have missed the part where I said 'neither end is particularly pleasant'.

Either way, an animal's existence doesn't just consist of it's end. Consider the animal's life beforehand. Bulls raised for fighting live for years, roaming the plains, eating good food, being treated well and respected - animals raised for food are treated inhumanely for the entirety of their lives. I do not support bull-fighting, but do see the irony of someone criticising it while chewing down a McRib.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...hting-bull-beef-most-ecological-meat-in-world
Aside from the problems already pointed out in previous arguments about thi, a flaw is that you and the other poster discussing this are making a very large assumption about people you're replying to just because they aren't Vegan. You have no idea what they support, how they choose to eat or where they choose to eat from. There's no irony for a vast majority of us to be against this barbarism but eat meat. Mainly because eating meat doesn't mean anyone has a carte blanche support about the treatment of animals bred for food.

holygeesus

Banned
Aside from the problems already pointed out in previous arguments about thi, a flaw is that you and the other poster discussing this are making a very large assumption about people you're replying to just because they aren't Vegan. You have no idea what they support, how they choose to eat or where they choose to eat from. There's no irony for a vast majority of us to be against this barbarism but eat meat. Mainly because eating meat doesn't mean anyone has a carte blanche support about the treatment of animals bred for food.

There is no flaw in the argument as I see it. You know animals are mistreated in all aspects of their life from birth to the slaughterhouse, yet you accept it, or choose to ignore it, because you profit ultimately from the animal's suffering. It is completely hypocritical.

The British used to watch fights between a bull or a bear and a pack of dogs.
That's how we ended up with the bulldog and the pitbull breeds.

I don't see a connection between eating meat and tormenting an animal.
Some people do nasty things to cats and dogs.

On a dairy farm, a bull is completely unnecessary as the cows are artificially inseminated.

I like hamburgers, I don't really like egocentric morons. A huge walking hamburger kills an egocentric moron? You won't see me crying.

Seriously, the matador knew the risks, it's not surprising sometimes the bull wins.

Firebrand

I don't like to celebrate people's deaths, at the same time it's hard to feel bad for someone who made a career on animal cruelty.

Fuck everyone who supports this barbaric nonsense.

Heard this on the news last night. Can't say I feel sorry, at all. This bullshit needs to stop. I hope they didn't kill the bull afterwards.
The pride/stubborness of Spain will make it so that it's the last of European countries to distance itself from utterly sadistic traditions like this.

It's a shame he died but can't really say it's a great tragedy when the event shouldn't even be active. Some traditions need to die, fox hunting was in the uk but that's stopped because it's not the right thing to do.

Haunted

I'm happy more parts of Spain are increasingly putting this tradition behind them.

Bullfighting acceptance numbers are at historic lows among young Spaniards iirc.

cebri.one

Excuse me while I mourn over this tragedy...

xaSVDJr.gif

A bew hew....a bew hew hew....

Completely disgusting response.

The guy is leaving wife and 2 children.

Totally unnecessary.

meppi

Completely disgusting response.

The guy is leaving wife and 2 children.

Totally unnecessary.

That's completely on him.
He should have thought of that before stepping into the ring.
I certainly feel bad for the people he left behind, but not in the least for the dumbass himself.

cebri.one

That's completely on him.
He should have thought of that before stepping into the ring.
I certainly feel bad for the people he left behind, but not in the least for the dumbass himself.

That doesnt explain that stupid and unnecesary post.

meppi

That doesnt explain that stupid and unnecesary post.

Well yeah. Then again people react in various ways to something like that.
I can't really blame him for that comment. It's not like a tragic accident or anything like that.
It's set up the way it is and those are the risks.
So when someone who makes his career on animal mutilation goes down by the beast he was trying to kill for no reason besides entertainment and wanting to be admired by other asshats, it's understandable to laugh at him for getting the short end for once.

Lagamorph

What the shit, I thought bullfighting was waving a red flag to agitate the bull and to run away unscathed. That's awful!
Same here. Jesus Christ, I had no idea they stabbed the bulls to agitate them. I thought it was just wave a flag, annoy the bull into running at you that way, then jump out if the way.

Think of the mental gymnastics you have to do to get a point where you think horse racing is okay and bullfighting isn't.

I doubt there's much gymnastics involved. If anything it is simply ignorance. When you go see a horse race there aren't weapons being thrust into an animal with the intent to kill it. So clearly that wouldn't register as being equivalent to bullfighting.

cebri.one

Well yeah. Then again people react in various ways to something like that.
I can't really blame him for that comment. It's not like a tragic accident or anything like that.
It's set up the way it is and those are the risks.
So when someone who makes his career on animal mutilation goes down by the beast he was trying to kill for no reason besides entertainment and wanting to be admired by other asshats, it's understandable to laugh at him for getting the short end for once.

So for you is understandable to laught at him because he died. Got it.

The most stupid tradition/sport in the world...
Yeah, but there's a lot that are equally as stupid. Like Rattlesnake Rodeos.

So for you is understandable to laught at him because he died. Got it.
He died in a ironic way. It's pretty funny, and it's not like you really have to feel bad for him. You could probably put like some Price is Right fail sound effects over the footage and it would kind of fit.

takriel

Welp can't really feel sorry for him, but my condolences to the family he left behind if he's got one.

Basically they know what they sign up for.

cebri.one

Yeah, but there's a lot that are equally as stupid. Like Rattlesnake Rodeos.

He died in a ironic way. It's pretty funny, and it's not like you really have to feel bad for him. You could probably put like some Price is Right fail sound effects over the footage and it would kind of fit.

His widow and children may disagree.

I think if they were more removed from the situation like we are they'd admit it was funny in a kind of sick way. Not quite as sick as what their husband/father did for a living.

Or maybe give them a few months and they'll realize it's funny.

Siegcram

I never understood why this is brought up as an argument to feel bad or someone's death.

You're not obligated to mourn the death of every human being, even less so if you have no personal connection at all. This dude died doing something repulsive. People will react to that.

So put the moral grandstanding on hold maybe.

cebri.one

I think if they were more removed from the situation like we are they'd admit it was funny in a kind of sick way. Not quite as sick as what their husband/father did for a living.

Or maybe give them a few months and they'll realize it's funny.

I think is way sicker to make fun of the death. And, again, totally unnecesary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom