• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matador Victor Barrio killed by bull in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodstyle

Never realized this was such an evil sport, I've always assumed it featured a matador waving a red cape around and dodging a bull for like 10 min. I didn't realize the goal was to KILL the bull. And they have to severely cripple it too beforehand, like the bad guy from Russle Crowe's Gladiator.

All matadors are cowards, and the one that died received a coward's death.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not advocating vegan or vegetarianism but I feel that our society could function just fine with a small fraction of the amount of meat we're currently consuming.

What really pisses me off though is the hypocrisy of the people getting on their high horse about Bullfighting when they are living in a society that actively engages in animal cruelty on a mass scale.

christ your posts are so disingenuous. agriculture and bullfighting aren't the same thing. you sound like some peta nutjob.

Mr_Moogle

christ you're posts are so disingenuous. agriculture and bull-fighting aren't the same thing. you sound like some peta nutjob.

I just think brutality is brutality regardless of whether there is an audience to watch it happen. I don't think we have the right to be finger pointing at the Spanish.

Hypron

I just think brutality is brutality regardless of whether there is an audience to watch it happen. I don't think we have the right to be finger pointing at the Spanish.

If you have to make sure you do absolutely everything perfectly before criticising something you wouldn't be able to ever criticise anything.

Never realized this was such an evil sport, I've always assumed it featured a matador waving a red cape around and dodging a bull for like 10 min. I didn't realize the goal was to KILL the bull. And they have to severely cripple it too beforehand, like the bad guy from Russle Crowe's Gladiator.

Yeah, I didn't know that they killed the bull/tortured it until I listed to the Stuff You Should Know podcast, I thought it was just a thing for fun or whatever.

Time Flashes

Neo Member
It surprises me that a lot of people from countries where bullfighting is banned/unpopular don't know how it goes. You'll find lots of people in Spain or Latin America defending that shit because of tradition or because it is a "dignified" way for the bull to die (seriously, I've read this). In Venezuela it is practiced in several cities, including mine (Maracaibo).

Monster Zero

We kill many animals for sport, the only difference is this is in an arena, killing animals for sport is a million dollar industry, why are we celebrating the death of this man. I'm curious on peoples thoughts on horse racing and bull riding compared to hunting deer or other game.

*Mid-post change*

Soooo right before I posted the above I decided to go ahead and read

http://www.stopbullfighting.org.uk/facts.htm

And I must respectfully refrain from playing devils advocate, I'll leave the above post up cause it's ignorant as fuck, I didn't know bull fighting was so cowardice. Hard to gather empathy for this man. Being informed changes things

Eila

All matadors are cowards, and the one that died received a coward's death.
The Spanish style bullfighting does aim to kill the bull by piercing it's heart. It's quite brutal. Every once in a while if people ask for a bull to be spared because it fought bravely it will be spared, but it's extraordinary
There's other bullfighting styles that are as you said.

Massa

If you have to make sure you do absolutely everything perfectly before criticising something you wouldn't be able to ever criticise anything.

It's not "everything" though, making sure you don't directly fund animal cruelty when you criticize animal cruelty seems like a perfectly logical thing to do.

diunxx

949c38558eb7dda57eaa77e6fc61baff.jpg

To Spanish Gaf, is bullfighting your Second Amendment?

ig: a tradition which struggles to remain relevant in the modern world?

IceCold

To Spanish Gaf, is bullfighting your Second Amendment?

ig: a tradition which struggles to remain relevant in the modern world?

If it's anything like in Portugal then it's only popular in villages, mostly in the south. With time it will die out as the younger generation isn't quite fond of it.

sikkinixx

I don't get why the need to kill the bulls anymore. Just have them run around all pissed off and look all fancy then put them back in a pen.

Eila

If it's anything like in Portugal then it's only popular in villages, mostly in the south. With time it will die out as the younger generation isn't quite fond of it.

It's shown on national TV in Spain. It's still fairly popular even if it's controversial with the younger generation.

I would also say "good riddance" but it's no positive thing unless it actually leads to this perverted murder-sport being wiped out, which it probably won't.

Haines

Banned
I feel like half this thread probably ate a burger just before saying fuck bullfighting.

It's not that I don't agree. It just feels like it's easier to point fingers, while sitting back and doing as you please with justification.

tcrunch

The "I'M A VEGAN, therefore this doesn't matter!" response to any animal cruelty discussion is always so helpful.

IceCold

It's shown on national TV in Spain. It's still fairly popular even if it's controversial with the younger generation.

Same thing in Portugal but it's popularity is decreasing.

Btw Americans will be surprised to know that in California there is bullfighting during religious festivals by the Portuguese Azorean community. The bull isn't killed or made to bleed though. The sticks they 'stab' the bull with have velcro on them, and the bull has a velcro patch on its back.

The grand national is the fucking worst.

"Let's shove too many horses on the track, oh, a horse has fallen over and has broken a leg? Don't treat it or give it to a sanctuary to heal and live out the rest of it's days, just fucking kill it".
The bad part isn't that they don't try to heal the animal (you can't really fix a broken leg on a horse), it's that they race it to begin with, being bred to have big muscles and long, thin legs.

Eila

Btw Americans will be surprised to know that in California there is bullfighting during religious festivals by the Portuguese Azorean community. The bull isn't killed or made to bleed though. The sticks they 'stab' the bull with have velcro on them, and the bull has a velcro patch on its back.
Also in some Latin American countries and France. I remember attending one as a kid.

Berto

Yeah in Portugal its getting less relevant by the year. 2015 was the lowest attendance and event year ever. Most of the younger generations don't care or are against it. In a few decades only the most traditionalist and rural people (and only in a few regions, specially in the south) will care about it. I can easily see it banned in a few decades.

UrokeJoe

I feel like half this thread probably ate a burger just before saying fuck bullfighting.

It's not that I don't agree. It just feels like it's easier to point fingers, while sitting back and doing as you please with justification.

Have a keyboard will internet.

Speely

Banned
Well, if the bull doesn't have a fighting chance then it is not sport - just slaughter.

What are people expecting the bull to do when it is tormented?

Ideally, the bull should get freedom and many cows on pasture. He won fair and square.

This all day. If you are going to make a manly spectacle out of senseless animal torture, at least grant a nice retirement to the rare bull who is lucky enough to power through being weakened and debilitated to win the "fight."

I hate seeing people die senselessly. As much as I don't like the event the matador was participating in, if it wasn't a cultural tradition and was instead illegal like it SHOULD be, he would still be alive. A shame :/

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The grand national is the fucking worst.

"Let's shove too many horses on the track, oh, a horse has fallen over and has broken a leg? Don't treat it or give it to a sanctuary to heal and live out the rest of it's days, just fucking kill it".
It won't go to waste. Captive lions/tigers love horse meat, so they're given to zoos and other places like that. If they break a leg they don't usually recover so they're euthanised.

I do not like bullfighting, it is cruelty, but RIP. That's a bad way to die.

Jacob

A quick, painless or near painless death versus extended death by torture.

Totally the same thing.

Desi

A quick, painless or near painless death versus extended death by torture.
I wouldn't call a lot of our farming practices quick or near painless.

that could be a very interesting way to change the sport with time if they want to keep it around for "traditions" sake.

Jacob

I wouldn't call a lot of our farming practices quick or near painless.

There is plenty of room for criticism of specific agricultural practices without a blanket condemnation of the entire practice of slaughtering animals for meat.

I mean, there are arguments against that as well, but my previous point remains that there is a substantial difference between humane slaughter for the purpose of food and extended, tortuous killing for the purpose of sport.

Bass260

Any use of animals for entertainment is disgusting and bullfighting is no exception. No pity here. We have limitless opportunities for modern entertainment and he choose to go out of his way to harm another living being for his barbaric tradition.

Oh, and modern farming practices are the furthest thing away from "humane". In terms of cows, they are often poorly stunned so they are skinned and hacked apart while still alive, since the underpaid workers are on such a strict shift that they can't properly stun (or knock out) the animal beforehand like they are supposed to. Some slaughterhouses have another worker considered the second "cutter" who will give them a fatal cut so they don't have to go through the production process alive. It isn't pretty. Halal/kosher slaughter is a bit different yet often results in more trauma & pain for the animal.

HotHamBoy

Just echoing everyone else, but it's a foul and barbaric practice. Does a human being deserve to die for it? No. But this has always been the risk, and it's a dumb, wasteful risk.

Hypron

It's not "everything" though, making sure you don't directly fund animal cruelty when you criticize animal cruelty seems like a perfectly logical thing to do.

I'm vegan so I don't have that issue. However, you gotta start somewhere if you want to improve things for animals. Meat eaters still make up the vast majority of the population, and if you want to outlaw disgusting practices like bullfighting you need to gather everyone's support. You can't just tell all meat eaters to shut the fuck up because they support some other terrible practices like factory farming; you also want their support.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't also try to raise awareness about these other issues at the same time, but being so antagonistic isn't really going to get you anywhere.

KonradLaw

Without danger of getting mained or killed there would be no point to corrida. Same with bull runs.

That said, it's pretty shitty how much work they do on the bull before. If you're going to kill such a magnificent beast for entertainment, you should be forced to face it at his full strenght.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom