• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

boulettime2ikd8e.gif
This was always the difference between PC and Console Max Payne to me in the past. The ability to dive and headshot everyone before you hit the ground.

Loxley

One of my favorite things about Euphoria is that bodies will still react to being shot even after they're "dead" like in this gif. I love that you can see the guy's body reacting to every individual bullet impact.

Brutal and awesome. Fuck, I hope GTAV's combat can come remotely close to this.

Looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on this game. As far as I'm concerned, this game is going to have almost infinite replay-ability! So excited!

Again it shows that Rockstar is one of the few companies who took their animation further this gen, blending their own stuff with licensed systems like Euphoria and Motionscanning.

I was hoping more devs would do these kind of things this gen, but it seems R* is still one of the very few who actually try to implement new stuff and not iterate on something UEngine for an entire generation.

Bar from a few exceptions I feel animation is one of the neglected things this gen. I hope devs focus more on it next cycle.

My only worry about this video? I'm hoping they're playing on easy mode or something, because it looks like bullet time plus constant moving makes you damn near invincible (or rather the enemies have mega-shit aim) . I mean, guys with a shotgun two feet from him are missing him entirely. Bullet Time should still have strategy to it, not just a "okay now you can charge into the middle of the group of enemies and not worry about it" insta-own button. Hopefully it just looks like that to make for a good trailer...

It's obviously harder nowadays since games are so complex but I'm hoping for a continuation of Max Payne's awesome modding community with 3.

I played both 360 and the PC version at PAX. Both run and control awesome.

Too long of a sequence for a gif. Well, at least while containing a reasonable file size for the web.
aww man

My only worry about this video? I'm hoping they're playing on easy mode or something, because it looks like bullet time plus constant moving makes you damn near invincible (or rather the enemies have mega-shit aim) . I mean, guys with a shotgun two feet from him are missing him entirely. Bullet Time should still have strategy to it, not just a "okay now you can charge into the middle of the group of enemies and not worry about it."
The hands on previews all pretty much say it's a pretty difficult game. Cover is used only to plan out your next move and the AI is super aggressive. That along with no regenerating health and the fact that you have to build up bullet time I think that that it's safe to say that the game won't be a push over.

These videos are just demonstrations after all.

KalBalboa

Banned
Playing it at PAX basically doubled my interest in this game. It's great to see that Rockstar basically tried to amp up its own pedigree rather than get gimmicky with Max Payne 3- artistry and effort are going to sell people on this game.

2012 keeps getting all the better. May is going to be a disaster on my wallet thanks to this, Starhawk, LBP, and Resistance.

Ethranes

Just saw the video, bullet holes in bodies, I can't think of another game that I've seen that in before, and it looks awesome, can't wait.

Simo

I seem to say it every time Rockstar releases a new video but...Holy Fucking Shit.

My favorite video thus far, the detail on everything is just insane like the Desert Eagle for example. Also the Bullet-Cam scene of the guy getting riddled with bullets before crashing through the glass door was fucking AWESOME!

...shit, just noticed the ESRB rating too. So close.

Sober

DerZuhälter;36888085 said:
Am I the only one to notice the mid-flight autoreload?

That's the only iffy thing I can say about this game yet. Can't wait!
I think they did that in MP2 as well, if not they already had that "spin reload" in bullet time anyway. Either way, it doesn't break the flow of gameplay and probably makes it more fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I played both 360 and the PC version at PAX. Both run and control awesome.
I disagree here. I'm not sure if it was their setup or early build, but the 360 version which I played twice on two different console and TV setups has pretty terrible input delay on aiming and movement.
PC was flawless and 360 pad on PC was flawless. Controls are good. Performance is good.

As a bonus the PC version has ALL the options you'd expect. No GTA IV bullshit.
This was always the difference between PC and Console Max Payne to me in the past. The ability to dive and headshot everyone before you hit the ground.
Yeah, I was playing another level where I had 10% health, 0 painkillers (medpacks) and I had to fight 5 people on low ground who were advancing and throwing grenades.

I decided to just leap over the railing, taking out one guy, headshotting the next two while still in mid air, turning to finish off the last guy, then turning the other direction to finish off the last person just coming out of cover as I reloaded. To my understanding headshots prolong your bullet time which maybe have been why I was able to do that. Pretty awesome to see the guys turning to face you mid air in slo mo.
My only worry about this video? I'm hoping they're playing on easy mode or something, because it looks like bullet time plus constant moving makes you damn near invincible (or rather the enemies have mega-shit aim) . I mean, guys with a shotgun two feet from him are missing him entirely. Bullet Time should still have strategy to it, not just a "okay now you can charge into the middle of the group of enemies and not worry about it" insta-own button. Hopefully it just looks like that to make for a good trailer...

It's obviously harder nowadays since games are so complex but I'm hoping for a continuation of Max Payne's awesome modding community with 3.
The early part of the game most were being shown is very easy. I was playing a different level where I didn't have 6 painkillers and enemies were more keen on pushing forward.

by the gods! just saw all the tech video.. the video on the targeting and weapons where he drops the bus on the two guys... holy shit! please someone make a gif of that please.

UrbanRats

The video was nice because the game is nice, but they're running thin on the stuff to show( or rather: explain).
We need the goddamn game.

I'd prefer a new cinematic trailer, at this point.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The video was nice because the game is nice, but they're running thin on the stuff to show( or rather: explain).

There will be another Multiplayer video soon.

Another trailer? i don't know, they already showed enough i think. I rather watch Max shooting baddies instead of showing important stuff from the story.

UrbanRats

There will be another Multiplayer video soon.

Another trailer? i don't know, they already showed enough i think. I rather watch Max shooting baddies instead of showing important stuff from the story.

Well you don't have to show much, it just has to be cool and fill up the time between now and release, to not let people forget about the game.
You know, some creative editing, a nice music..

On a side note: the fucking detail on that Desert Eagle, damn.

Well you don't have to show much, it just has to be cool and fill up the time between now and release, to not let people forget about the game.
You know, some creative editing, a nice music..

Yeah but it seems like they are really trying to avoid showing anything beyond a certain point in the story.

Which I don't blame them, a lot of devs blow their plot wide open from the get go and then there are no surprises left when you get the game.

I am betting the next things we see will be part 2 of the multiplayer stuff. Then of course a launch trailer next month....Then the game will be out!

tci

Those trailers works best for me without sound. That voice just reminds me of the Apple commercials.

When are they showing the PC version? Any news on that build?

Sn4ke_911

I am betting the next things we see will be part 2 of the multiplayer stuff. Then of course a launch trailer next month....Then the game will be out!

Yeah i think they will save some stuff for the launch trailer.

jgminto

Oh...My...God! I need this game! Death has never looked so beautiful.

Also the music track in this video is really nice.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Remember when we were all like "WTF, he's bald, worst game ever, Rockstar sucks! They ruined Max Payne! NOT GOING TO BUY!"

heh good times.

Sn4ke_911

Remember when we were all like "WTF, he's bald, worst game ever, Rockstar sucks! They ruined Max Payne! NOT GOING TO BUY!"

heh good times.

haha yeah. most of those haters eat crow now.

Top Bottom