• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

TreIII

hardboileddock57bph.gif

HARDBOILED EFF YEAH!

I might have to dig out my copies of the "A Better Tomorrow" trilogy too, for that matter.

Why are the player names of your opponents always visible in multiplayer? wtf?

I think since the characters don't look that individually different when seen at a distance. Also the player can customize the look of their character. GTA and RDR did the same thing, you can turn off the displayed names in the options though if you wanted.

Sethos

Banned
I think since the characters don't look that individually different when seen at a distance. Also the player can customize the look of their character. GTA and RDR did the same thing, you can turn off the displayed names in the options though if you wanted.

So yet again they go with the gimp-yourself option? Needs to be a server setting.

Sounds like yet another Rockstar game where I won't touch MP whatsoever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

This. First it bugged me but now i see why the keep the player name tags on.

I remember a gaffer asked R* about this and they said they will look into it or something like that. So maybe it's possible to turn it off.

One thing that always helps me pass the time right before a big game: livestreams from people with early copies. I don't know why, but I'm always addicted to seeking these out when a game is about to come out (sounds weird, but spoilers don't really bother me too much).

I can't stand watching early live streams, especially when the person playing doesn't have any skills. FUCK! Same thing being at gaming conventions and waiting in line watching freaking retarded people button mash and pay no intention to the tutorial prompts and shit. OMG, I want to grab the controller and slap them in the face.

Some of my fondest (dreadful) memories of early live streams or watching idiots play....

Red Dead Redemption - Dude was just running around the towns mindlessly killing everyone in site.

Batman Arkham City - This person couldn't understand the concept of stealth. He would simply glide right in front of armed enemies and die over, and over, and over. Then start bitching about how the mechanics were broken and how rocksteady needed to test their games more because it was impossible.

PAX 2010 - Standing behind this girl dressed up in Link cosplay, watching her attempt to play the Prince of Persia demo. This consisted of her running against walls and falling off ledges, because she could grasp the concept of HOLDING RT and not just pressing it. Kill me....

Sethos

Banned
So just shooting at eachother without bullettime?

Great, just like any other boring shooter this gen

Oh get off. You don't need all these bullshit things to set apart your game. It's just a mainstream product, having all these 'Give me an advantage' buttons. Max Payne 3 will have unique levels, game-modes, awesome gunplay and some sweet cover / dodge. You don't need all sorts of fluff to make it unique. Have you even played any other shooter this gen? THEY have exactly that shitty aspect of perks, streaks, bonuses and whatnot to give people advantages in certain situations. Having a clean, competitive experience is a lost product of the last generation - The bad players couldn't cope, so developers needed to get them back into the games.

But there is a burst that you can change your tag to the opponent color.

If you are talking about the paranoia burst, it just isn't the name change, but also a change in the players look and how they appear on your mini map as enemy icons.

Oh get off. You don't need all these bullshit things to set apart your game. It's just a mainstream product, having all these 'Give me an advantage' buttons. Max Payne 3 will have unique levels, game-modes, awesome gunplay and some sweet cover / dodge modes. You don't need all sorts of fluff to make it unique. Have you even played any other shooter this gen? THEY have exactly that shitty aspect of perks, streaks, bonuses and whatnot to give people advantages in certain situations.

I am actually worried about all the different bursts too. That is one things that turned me off to the Uncharted 3 multiplayer.

After finishing Max Payne 1 and 2 again for the first time in years, I think I'm gonna watch some heroic bloodshed and film-noir flicks the comings weeks, just to get me more pumped!

hardboileddock57bph.gif

Yah, feelin' like I need to watch these too again. Sucks that only legit NA versions are the Dragon Dynasty ones ...oh well =(

Its gonna be the first multiplayer game I've sunk my teeth into since RDR, and RDR was the first multiplayer game I sunk my teeth into. So fucking excited.

Sethos

Banned
I am actually worried about all the different bursts too. That is one things that turned me off to the Uncharted 3 multiplayer.

Yeah, between that and nameplates I'm completely turned off of MP right now. I've reached that golden point in my online gaming 'career' where I just can't cope with people killing me because they activated some shit or has some magical perk that held their hand in the given situation. I want to know I died because I wasn't fast enough on the trigger, didn't check my six or got overwhelmed - Not because lil' Timmay activated his advantage button.

RDR MP got killed because of optional aim-assist.

Man, I haven't played a decent 'clean' competitive MP game in quite a while ...

Yeah, between that and nameplates I'm completely turned off of MP right now. I've reached that golden point in my online gaming 'career' where I just can't cope with people killing me because they activated some shit or has some magical perk that held their hand in the given situation. I want to know I died because I wasn't fast enough on the trigger, didn't check my six or got overwhelmed - Not because lil' Timmay activated his advantage button.

RDR MP got killed because of optional aim-assist.

Man, I haven't played a decent 'clean' competitive MP game in quite a while ...

RDR also had specific modes where auto aim was off. I am 90% sure you will be able to turn the nameplates off, just like previous games. They also added more game types by hearing fans requests in RDR, with Normal and Hardcore multiplayer modes. I am sure if it ends up being really frustrating with all the different bursts and there is a big enough outcry they will add more modes. (if they are not already available).

Sethos

Banned
RDR also had specific modes where auto aim was off. I am 90% sure you will be able to turn the nameplates off, just like previous games. They also added more game types by hearing fans requests in RDR, with Normal and Hardcore multiplayer modes. I am sure if it ends up being really frustrating with all the different bursts and there is a big enough outcry they will add more modes. (if they are not already available).

I only checked out RDR MP the first few weeks and gave up, so much probably changed since then. Turning off nameplates was optional I assume as well? It needs to be forced upon everybody, so you can sneak and catch the unaware off-guard. If it was indeed a server setting - Good. But yeah, hopefully R* will listen and implement accordingly, however my trust in the general online gaming community is low as everyone will suck up the yearly CoD fest and actually enjoy all these takes to screw with simple online recipes. I sometime feel like I'm the only one who enjoys a good, unspoiled core MP experience :/

Yah, feelin' like I need to watch these too again. Sucks that only legit NA versions are the Dragon Dynasty ones ...oh well =(

I have Criterion Collection, Taiwanese Uncut version and some other bootleg versions. Sad to see that I am still waiting for a definitive version :(

I can't stand watching early live streams, especially when the person playing doesn't have any skills. FUCK! Same thing being at gaming conventions and waiting in line watching freaking retarded people button mash and pay no intention to the tutorial prompts and shit. OMG, I want to grab the controller and slap them in the face.

Oh yeah. That stuff is so rage inducing. It's amplified so much because you can't do a damn thing, just watch in horror.

mudkyp

Due to that song in the TV commercial I looked up the band. Really like what I hear. The soundtrack should be great. Thanks Max Payne 3 :D

iNvid02

still playing the singleplayer on pc but that mp looks fun as hell, pre-ordered the PS3 version too

and i realized over the past few years i had bought gta iv day one on ps3 and eventually sold it, only to buy it again. and then i bought it on pc too. and then i got it again through steam.

and with red dead, i got it day one and bought some dlc but later sold it. then bought the goty edition and got even more dlc.

with nearly all of their games, i purchase 2-3 copies sometimes and a lot of dlc

why do i give rockstar so much money
KuGsj.gif

Simo

So that's where all those 35GBs are going to!!

8 fucking days, man!
ibloW5hqkfNWgB.gif

GameStop now has the list up for stores doing the midnight release, IE all of them since both Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3 drop on the same day. Also Rockstar updated the Social Club to get ready for MP3 and we'll be able to start forming Crews this Wednesday, May 9th. Presumably that should mean we can create the GAF crew emblem too!

I think the rest of week in terms of news will include MLG event coverage, more soundtrack news and samples, making of article and the Social Club update rundown.

kaskade

I would totally do the gamestop at midnight but I want the 10 dollars from amazon. They actually opened one near me so it wouldn't be far at all. Oh well release date delivery is usually from Fed Ex and they tend to come to my house early.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm going to the midnight launch at our local Best Buy but I have to be at work at 4:45am on the 15th. Not sure how that's going to work out.
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom