• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales 11/20-11/26

Branduil

Of course, the GC itself only did what, 4 million in Japan? The Wii will do much better, at launch especially, so launch games should have some actual legs.

Xeke said:
What are you basing this one? OoT was the last to sell over a million in Japan. Zelda is turning into more of a western gamer title.
Truthfully? Gut feeling. I beat the game yesterday. Maybe I'm just too excited, but I think that it's going to do really well.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Xeke said:
What are you basing this one? OoT was the last to sell over a million in Japan. Zelda is turning into more of a western gamer title.
And Super Mario Sunshine did what? 800k?
Now look at NSMB sales.
GC did 4m LTD in Japan, Wii will do much more so its games will sell a lot better.

Bo130

Agree ^^

Any chance of us getting first day sales of Wii Software? I want it so badly... :D

EDIT: Agree with Ethelred, that is.

NSMB is a different style of game from Mario Sunshine though, also on a platform that had like a 10+ million userbase already.

I think TP will definitely outsell Wind Waker in Japan though. But not like a 4:1 ratio like NSMB has done to Mario Sunshine or anything like that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ethelred said:
Won't even come close.

its on ds .... even kirby will easyly surpass 500k on ds... and the new celda on ds will u make heavy use on the dualscreen and touchscreen... so 1mio is more than possible in japan within 1 year....

starship

soundwave05 said:
NSMB is a different style of game from Mario Sunshine though, also on a platform that had like a 10+ million userbase already.

I think TP will definitely outsell Wind Waker in Japan though. But not like a 4:1 ratio like NSMB has done to Mario Sunshine or anything like that.
I didn't say TP will outsell TWW by a ratio of 4:1 but I think saying TWW sold less than 1m units on the weakest Nintendo console ever (with an installed base of 4m units) is a reason that Zelda lost its popularity in Japan is completely wrong.
And I'm ready to bet TP will sell more than 1.5m units LTD.

ethelred

cw_sasuke said:
its on ds .... even kirby will easyly surpass 500k on ds... and the new celda on ds will u make heavy use on the dualscreen and touchscreen... so 1mio is more than possible in japan within 1 year....

Kirby also easily surpassed 500k on the GBA. Zelda couldn't even reach 300k there.

The DS will help some games' performance, but not by that drastic a margin.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ok, 1mio is maybe a lil 2 much...... :D but it will sell strong on ds , very strong...:)

gamergirly said:
Maybe 450,000 but 1 million seems unlikely. Zelda isnt the powerhouse in Japan it used to be
While this may be true, NSMB surprised the shit out of me when it passed 3 million. It's got a chance.

Neomoto

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, just remembered Wii Play (Hajimete no Wii) was also released...that makes 8 possible 100k sellers. I guess it'll depend on Wii attach rate...

On a shop the 5 best selling titles were: 1. Wii Play 2. Wii Sports 3. Wario 4. Zelda 5. Red Steel...kinda weird, also 2:1 attach rate iirc.
Don't forget Pokemon Diamond/Pearl ;)

Oh, and about Twilight Princess. If I where to believe ioi's site, Wind Waker did 0.86 million in Japan on a "flopped" console with a userbase of only 4 million. That kind of attach rate is pretty high if you ask me, certainly doesn't qualify as "Zelda's populairity is decreasing" or something in my book. For example, FF XII did 2.3+ million on a userbase of almost 20 million Japanese PS2's. Is FF now not a populair franchise because it "only" did those numbers compared to their big userbase?

Neomoto said:
Don't forget Pokemon Diamond/Pearl ;)

Oh, and about Twilight Princess. If I where to believe ioi's site, Wind Waker did 0.86 million in Japan on a "flopped" console with a userbase of only 4 million. That kind of attach rate is pretty high if you ask me, certainly doesn't qualify as "Zelda's populairity is decreasing" or something in my book. For example, FF XII did 2.3+ million on a userbase of almost 20 million Japanese PS2's. Is FF now not a populair franchise because it "only" did those numbers compared to their big userbase?

True. There's a much different feel about Zelda for Wii then Zelda for GC

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AniHawk said:
"Why is PS3 on the DS top ten?"

「DSソフトランキングなのに、何でPS3がいるんだ?」

by AniHawk - NeoGAF
日本の11/6〜12日付ソフトウェアランキング。
PS3のロンチから2作がトップ10入り。
they took a nice quote too :lol

Deku

Banned
gamergirly said:
Maybe 450,000 but 1 million seems unlikely. Zelda isnt the powerhouse in Japan it used to be

It was never a powerhouse in Japan, it's highpoiint was obviously Ocarina, but there's only been 1 console Zelda since and it was controversial and released on the GameCube which barely registered at the best of times in Japan.

Given the excitement around the Wii launch i think TP will do 1 m easily within its lifetime

Xeke

Banned
Deku said:
It was never a powerhouse in Japan, it's highpoiint was obviously Ocarina, but there's only been 1 console Zelda since and it was controversial and released on the GameCube which barely registered at the best of times in Japan.

Given the excitement around the Wii launch i think TP will do 1 m easily within its lifetime

You did a goo job forgetting Majoras Mask.

Deku

Banned
Xeke said:
You did a goo job forgetting Majoras Mask.

It's not a main Zelda game. sidestory based on the same engine don't count.

But... if you want to include it, MM was released in 2000 when there was no interest in the N64 whatsoever when the PS2 loomed larged in the market.

It's basically the same story as WW.

starship

"C'mon, GoW can't lose to an elf in tights..."
by lmunz22 - forum.teamxbox.com

Now Ani, you have a mission to accomplish.
KILL that guy.

CrisKre

to the gaf population living in japan:

how would you descrive the wii perception over there? does it seem similar to the DS craze? how does it fare against the PS3 hype?

im just curios. by teh by, ZTP IS imo indeed very different from WW. Hardcore gamers know it si basically at core a GC game, but for the rest of the world this is a Wii launch title. And a HUGE franchise at that. Launch titles always historically sell incredibly well all throughout a consoles lifespan. so i believe it will easily surpass WW numbers in japan.

well see i guess.

AniHawk

starship said:
"C'mon, GoW can't lose to an elf in tights..."
by lmunz22 - forum.teamxbox.com

Now Ani, you have a mission to accomplish.
KILL that guy.

He's probably talking about some LotR game or something.

apujanata

Since I like Zelda series, and I buy US Wii for Zelda : TP, I am hoping for good Zelda:TP sales in Japan. At least more than Zelda : WW, which is around 650K (Dengeki). If it can break 1 Million, then it is better.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jarrod said:
Er... Kirby usually passes 500k, with or without DS. :p

when does kirby get translated? I want it BAAAD

Bear with me as I proj. Wii sales cuzz I hav nothing to compare them to yet, so:
My COMGNET Estimates for week 11/27:
Code:
1  Tales of Destiny	                           1484	*200	297,000	NEW
2  Final Fantasy VI Advance	             389	*410	159,000	NEW
[B]3 [/B] [B]Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 259	*600	155,000	NEW[/B]
4  Summon Night	                             634	*200	127,000	NEW
[B]5 [/B] [B]Wii Play	                             206             *600	124,000	NEW
[B]6[/B]  Wii Sports	                             154	*600	92,000	NEW[/B]
7  Pocket Monster Diamond	             106	*800	85,000	1,912,000
8  Kirby Star DS	                               62	*950	59,000	411,000
9  Pocket Monster Pearl	               80	*700	56,000	1,596,000
10 Jump Ultimate Stars	               76	*720	55,000	205,000
11 魔界戦記 Disgaea PORTABLE (2 ver.)    121	*430	52,000	NEW?
[B]12[/B] [B]Odoru Made in Wario                        75	*600	45,000	NEW[/B]
13 Love & Berry DS Collection	              119	*300	36,000	457,000
14 New Super Mario Bros.	               41	*670	27,000	3,479,000

Shouldn't Zelda be higher in relation to the other Wii launch titles?
Big Love & Berry DS drop...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Square2005 said:
Bear with me as I pull numbers out of my ass.

Code:
1  Tales of Destiny	                         1484	*200	297,000	NEW
2  Final Fantasy VI Advance	           389	*410	159,000	NEW
3  Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess       259	*600	155,000	NEW
4  Summon Night	                           634	*200	127,000	NEW
5  Wii Play	                                           206                *600	124,000	NEW
6  Wii Sports	                           154	*600	92,000	NEW
7  Pocket Monster Diamond	           106	*800	85,000	1,912,000
8  Kirby Star DS	                             62	*950	59,000	411,000
9  Pocket Monster Pearl	             80	*700	56,000	1,596,000
10 Jump Ultimate Stars	             76	*720	55,000	205,000
11 魔界戦記 Disgaea PORTABLE (2 ver.)  121	*430	52,000	NEW?
12 Made in Wario	                             75	*600	45,000	NEW
13 Love & Berry DS Collection	           119	*300	36,000	457,000
14 New Super Mario Bros.	             41	*670	27,000	3,479,000

Shouldn't Zelda be higher in relation to the other Wii launch titles?
Big Love & Berry DS drop...

Fixed.

AniHawk

No offense Square. We all appreciate the work you do to bring us those NPD numbers, but I don't think anyone gives a rat's ass about your comgnet extrapolations.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
No offense Square. We all appreciate the work you do to bring us those NPD numbers, but I don't think anyone gives a rat's ass about your comgnet extrapolations.

Yeah. When I saw the thread bumped I thought neo or Kurosaki had posted numbers.

Jonnyram said:

Hey, even I've been quoted:
"Man...poor Japanese, they hav to line-up like every week now for the latest new DS releases, whether it's SW or HW.It's like Nintendo has put a spell on every gamer (and now non-gamers) in Japan...!" 「日本人は可哀相だな。ソフトでもハードでも、DSで何か出るたびに彼らは毎週行列を作る。まるで任天堂が日本人ゲーマー(今や普通の連中にも)に魔法をかけてるみたいじゃないか。」
by Square2005 - NeoGAFポケモンの発売日の日本での行列を報じるスレッドより。

Jonnyram

According to Rambling Man, tie ratio is 2.5-3.
Hardware buyers were split between core users buying Zelda, and another Wii-type game (Sports/Hajimete/Odoru), and casual users buying Tennis and wanting an extra controller so picking up Hajimete.

So, all-in-all, it looks like Sports/Hajimete will come out on top, but Zelda shouldn't be too far behind. The launch even makes the DS launch look like a joke (that had a tie ratio a little above 1).

Jonnyram said:
According to Rambling Man, tie ratio is 2.5-3.
Hardware buyers were split between core users buying Zelda, and another Wii-type game (Sports/Hajimete/Odoru), and casual users buying Tennis and wanting an extra controller so picking up Hajimete.

So, all-in-all, it looks like Sports/Hajimete will come out on top, but Zelda shouldn't be too far behind. The launch even makes the DS launch look like a joke (that had a tie ratio a little above 1).

Speaking of which, I hav the DS-Launch week Comgnet numbers:
Code:
11/29/2004	                                     [U]and compare w/ famitsu:[/U]
                1   Dragon Quest VIII	              1764           559,524
	[B]2   Super Mario 64 DS	244 NEW  120,062[/B]
	[B]4   Touch! Made in Wario	161 NEW  117,677[/B]
	8   Ratchet & Clank 3	                103             ???
	[B]12 Pokemon Dash	                  63 NEW   50,011[/B]
	17 Mario Party 6	                  47            30,271
	19 Pocket Monster Emerald	  36            26,538
	20 Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Mem 33            14,100
...and they're lower than the Wii numbers so...

Top Bottom