• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/7 - 7/13

Kinan

What happened with titles from 10 to 30? They are at original site, as far as I see. God of War PSP debut at 11'th place is rather good, right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kinan said:
What happened with titles from 10 to 30? They are at original site, as far as I see. God of War PSP debut at 11'th place is rather good, right?

Looks like GoW1 debuted at 7k, and GoW2 at 18k, so seems like GoWPSP is in-line with franchise expectations.

toypop said:
First day sales.
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10117552955.html

DS DQ5 420k
60% of initial shipment.
remarkable 420k compared to DQ4's 350k on first day.
Unlike DQ4, supplies and another shipment are well-prepared, so no shortage this time.

Wow, that's great. Amazing sales for this title, which bodes extremely well for DQ6's performance when it comes out, given that it's never been remade.

Remember back when the DQ trilogy was just getting announced, and people were saying things like "well, DQ6 is probably a lock for million seller status, but we'll see about the other two...."?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I thought that make the game for BOTH DS and PSP could have been logic in Square-Enix plans, seeing that PSP is doing great and that games seems to sell quite well.

This idea never made sense. The logic of going multiplatform on PS3 and 360 is that the platforms are very similar yet disjoint -- plenty of people only own one or the other, so releasing for both helps you hit a wider market of potential buyers.

The market of people who own a PSP, but don't own a DS, is definitely not large enough for anyone to go after. There's very little reason to ever release a PSP/DS day-and-date multiplatform game unless it's part of a "hit every platform under the sun" burst like Puzzle Quest.

kswiston

Culex said:
Wow @ Dragon Quest 5!! Maybe we'll see 800k for the week for it?

DS over PSP for the week, too!

I'd imagine that DQV sales are going to be frontloaded like every big rpg release, so I'm guessing 600k for the week.

Also, the DS is going to get a negligible bump from DQV if any. Mario Kart Wii failed to raise Wii sales despite the fact that it debuted at over 600k because it was largely selling to a crowd of Nintendo fans who already owned a Wii (at least that first week). DQV is being released for a system that has sold over 22M units and has already seen two Dragon Quest games break 1M+. DQV's target audience already owns a DS.

NintendosBooger said:
Where's the guy in charge of keeping track of the DS million sellers? Someone needs to tell him to get ready to make a new entry to the list.

'That guy' has left GAF, although I'm sure a few of the venerable Sales-Agers could whip something up with a bit of effort.

NintendosBooger said:
Where's the guy in charge of keeping track of the DS million sellers? Someone needs to tell him to get ready to make a new entry to the list.
Captain Smoker did something similar on page 3:

Captain Smoker said:
Nice numbers for Dragon Quest V. :D

Should be the next million seller on the DS. :)

Number of million sellers per platform in Japan:
NES: 40 [16 3rd Party]
SNES: 28 [18 3rd Party]
NDS: 22 [6 3rd Party]*
PSX: 19 [15 3rd Party]
PS2: 17 [14 3rd Party]
GB/C: 17 [5 3rd Party]
Wii: 5 [0 3rd Party]**
N64: 5 [0 3rd Party]
GBA: 4 [0 3rd Party]
PSP: 2 [2 3rd Party]
Cube: 1 [0 3rd Party]
Saturn: 1 [0 3rd Party]

Busaiku

kswiston said:
I'd imagine that DQV sales are going to be frontloaded like every big rpg release, so I'm guessing 600k for the week.
DQIV and DQMJ actually had some pretty decent legs, if I recall.
Well, at least for RPGs.

kswiston said:

It's already started out better than DQIVDS, which broke a million, and we've no reason to suggest it's going to be any more frontloaded than DQIVDS.

Jammy

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It's already started out better than DQIVDS, which broke a million, and we've no reason to suggest it's going to be any more frontloaded than DQIVDS.

Dragon Quest IV had the holiday release going for it.

iidesuyo

I'm surprised that "Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball" sold so little. Baseball is popular in Japan, Mario Games are popular, and the Wii should be the perfect console for these type of games.

Yaweee

Pureauthor said:

Also keep in mind that DQ4 was remade as (what I think is) a readily available PS1 game, while DQ5's remake was extremely (EXTREMELY) limited edition.

Might as well toss DQ6 on there, too. :D I don't think there's any doubt that one will sell more than 4 or 5.

jakncoke

Banned
Surprised Kane and Lynch debuted #23, what is the PS3 release schedule for the like next 3 months? besides SC4/Afrika is there any jpn culture games or is it just late games from the west ?

iidesuyo said:
I'm surprised that "Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball" sold so little. Baseball is popular in Japan, Mario Games are popular, and the Wii should be the perfect console for these type of games.
Yeah, but apparently it sucks, which trumps all other factors.

Pellham

Banned
nyong said:
It's especially amazing considering it's essentially a non-game that includes a bathroom scale and the whole package costs $90.

It's pretty cheap for a standalone exercise kit. How much do threadmills, etc. cost again?

Pellham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I thought that make the game for BOTH DS and PSP could have been logic in Square-Enix plans, seeing that PSP is doing great and that games seems to sell quite well.

DS and PSP versions of the same game pretty much imply two drastically different games with the same name, given the difference in hardware between the two.

It's one thing to make FF13 for both 360 and PS3, but if S-E decided to port DQ9 to PSP, they might as well just recreate it from ground up and call it DQ9-2 or something.

Also :lol @ the games selling well. Most PSP owners are using custom firmware and downloading games for free, or they're just not buying games and using their PSPs for everything else that a PSP can do. Monster Hunter is like the only PSP game that people are bothering to actually buy/own.

slaughterking said:
NintendosBooger said:
Captain Smoker did something similar on page 3:
Yes. :)

And here are all DS million sellers if you´re interested @ NintendosBooger:

Code:
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl			5.511.000
New Super Mario Bros.			5.221.000
Brain Age 2				4.897.082
Animal Crossing				4.679.907
Brain Age				3.689.161
Mario Kart DS				3.126.000
English Training			2.082.968
Nintendogs				1.777.272
Mario Party DS				1.730.191
General Knowledge Training		1.538.618
Big Brain Academy			1.492.095
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker		1.458.149
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon			1.392.972
Tetris DS				1.232.061
Dragon Quest IV				1.201.771
WarioWare: Touched!			1.136.255
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop	1.110.046
Super Mario 64 DS			1.069.060
Hoshi no Kirby DS			1.060.257
Love & Berry DS				1.039.669
Final Fantasy III			1.008.230

[B]Total: [/B]47.453.764

Captain Smoker said:
Yes. :)

And here are all DS million sellers if you´re interested @ NintendosBooger:

Code:
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl			5.511.000
New Super Mario Bros.			5.221.000
Brain Age 2				4.897.082
Animal Crossing				4.679.907
Brain Age				3.689.161
Mario Kart DS				3.126.000
English Training			2.082.968
Nintendogs				1.777.272
Mario Party DS				1.730.191
General Knowledge Training		1.538.618
Big Brain Academy			1.492.095
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker		1.458.149
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon			1.392.972
Tetris DS				1.232.061
Dragon Quest IV				1.201.771
WarioWare: Touched!			1.136.255
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop	1.110.046
Super Mario 64 DS			1.069.060
Hoshi no Kirby DS			1.060.257
Love & Berry DS				1.039.669
Final Fantasy III			1.008.230

[B]Total: [/B]47.453.764

Thanks, Captain. *salutes*

Spiegel

Pellham said:
Also :lol @ the games selling well. Most PSP owners are using custom firmware and downloading games for free, or they're just not buying games and using their PSPs for everything else that a PSP can do. Monster Hunter is like the only PSP game that people are bothering to actually buy/own.

This is Media-Create and PSP games are selling well in Japan since the redesign. That's a fact

Busaiku

Games have definitely been selling better with the release of the PSP Slim/MHP2, no doubt about that.
But fact of the matter is, the PSP software situation went from "awful" to "barely adequate".

There have been a few noteworthy successes, like the SO titles.
But really, they're still so few and far apart, that it's kind of difficult to notice the improvement.

It doesn't help that there are fewer games being released for it (at least it seems that way, I can't be too sure).

iidesuyo

Just one page ago it was noted that Gundam Battle Universe sold twice as good as the predecessor first day. Then there was the new Jikkyou Mobile, which did better than the last iteration. Same with other games recently released. So yes, the situation has gotten better.

It doesn't help that there are fewer games being released for it

Now THAT is the main problem which results from the fact that PSP sales were mediocre before. Those companies who sticked with the PSP and continued development get some good results now.

Spiegel

That's the point. The games that are coming out since then are selling pretty well.

Monster Hunter Portable 2G, MGS: PO+ (shitty online expansion), Crisis Core, Star Ocean, Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3, the Gundam Games, PES 2008 (late port), Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida (unknown game with great legs).

Imo, you could say only Tales of Rebirth (a port) sold below expectations in the last months .

Of course everyone knows psp isn't setting the charts on fire but saying that only MH sells is false. Psp games aren't selling bad or GREAT, they're doing well.

Grecco

iidesuyo said:

Mario Strikers did badly as well i think. There might be Mario Sports fatigue, or just an interest in Wii Sports type games instead. Didnt Deca Sports do above average.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
iidesuyo said:

the game sucks...maybe that`s the reason xD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Grecco said:
Mario Strikers did badly as well i think. There might be Mario Sports fatigue, or just an interest in Wii Sports type games instead. Didnt Deca Sports do above average.

Strikers actually had quite commendable off-chart growth so it wasn't as much of a bomba as you might expect--and the US version did very well.

On the other hand Wii Mario Baseball is both a) a sub-par game, and b) a sub-par sequel. If anything, I'd like to think bad buzz and no retail support would cause it to bomb.

RpgN

Spiegel said:
That's the point. The games that are coming out since then are selling pretty well.

Monster Hunter Portable 2G, MGS: PO+ (shitty online expansion), Crisis Core, Star Ocean, Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3, the Gundam Games, PES 2008 (late port), Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida (unknown game with great legs).

Imo, you could say only Tales of Rebirth (a port) sold below expectations in the last months .

Of course everyone knows psp isn't setting the charts on fire but saying that only MH sells is false. Psp games aren't selling bad or GREAT, they're doing well.

Exactly. Phantasy Star Portable should be released soon. Here's hoping for some good sales.

Psp is really put in an awkward tight spot. Where hope is giving up on it, software sales are improving. Sales are decent and steady, but it's too late now it seems. KH and FFD are the only high profile games left.

PS4 is doing great on the ps2. Atlus did a smart choice after all. When the game was first announced I was surprised.

Spiegel said:

SO and PES both did rather poorly I thought. SO saw a decline from the first one and while PES saw a small bump from the version before, that one saw a steep decline from the first PSP version. Then again I also thought the Wii version, while doing better than I expected, was also a long shot from doing well, and that had a whole lot more going against it.

Games that didn't do too hot: that Tales game, GTA, HSG, Coded Soul, Musou, Echocrome, Patapon, SH (although that was on it's way down anyways) and probably some obscure and not so obscure titles I forgot.

MH, CC and PowaPuro did very well on different levels. In the end it depends on what your criteria for doing well is of course. I always said PSP does well enough in its own right, if there wasn't any money to be made we wouldn't see any releases at all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Grecco said:

It started out poorly but has now sold 217K, where as the original only did 191K.

Tron 2.0

Stumpokapow said:
On the other hand Wii Mario Baseball is both a) a sub-par game, and b) a sub-par sequel. If anything, I'd like to think bad buzz and no retail support would cause it to bomb.
It didn't really bomb. It's tracking slightly lower than its GameCube predecessor at the same time. It may significantly decline in the next few weeks, but right now I don't think we can say its underperforming.

DNF

It started out poorly but has now sold 217K, where as the original only did 191K
But wasn't it heavily discounted soon after release ? So the 217 were just the first shipment?
Or do i remember wrong?

Tmac

Browsing sony japan website i noticed something, theres a lot of old playstation games as "new releases", so i guees this is virtual/emulator sales. Can that be one of the reasons the psp is selling that much hardware?

iidesuyo

Phife Dawg said:
Games that didn't do too hot: that Tales game, GTA, HSG, Coded Soul, Musou, Echocrome, Patapon, SH (although that was on it's way down anyways) and probably some obscure and not so obscure titles I forgot.

As you mention Echochrome, its >75k units sold on PSP are much more than I would have expected from such a niché title.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tron 2.0 said:
It didn't really bomb. It's tracking slightly lower than its GameCube predecessor at the same time. It may significantly decline in the next few weeks, but right now I don't think we can say its underperforming.

would

iidesuyo said:
As you mention Echochrome, its >75k units sold on PSP are much more than I would have expected from such a niché title.

niché ís nót á wórd.

Rocksteady33

iidesuyo said:
Damn. And I hâd to look up how to put those funny strips über the e.

I'm pretty sure you hold ALT and then press 1003 or something on the right number pad.

Man it's embarassing I know that, I used to be such a loser when it came to Pokemon back in the day....

edit - Nevermind its ALT 0233. I'm an idiot.

Busy times the last few days, so haven't updated Garaph with the latest Famitsu software yet. But a few looks at non-recent data are pretty quick to do.
Busaiku said:
DQIV and DQMJ actually had some pretty decent legs, if I recall.
Well, at least for RPGs.
I think that's fair to say. More than doubling first week sales is out of the ordinary for big-name RPGs. However, I believe Joker was pretty supply constrained (notice its line getting flatter than popping back up) and IV releasing in late November allowed it to still be a fresh new game when the real holiday peak time kicked in. We'll see how V stacks up.
DQIV

Yaweee said:
Also keep in mind that DQ4 was remade as (what I think is) a readily available PS1 game, while DQ5's remake was extremely (EXTREMELY) limited edition.
Japan-Game Charts's million seller list has PS1 Dragon Quest IV at about 1.2 million. However, PS2 Dragon Quest V sold more than 1 million its first week and eventually ended up past 1.6 million. Doesn't sound extremely limited.
Rocksteady33 said:
I use ALT + 130. Thanks to Pokémon it's the only nonstandard character I use frequently enough to not need Character Map.

iidesuyo said:
Touché :lol .

Not really though, since when are puzzle games niche?

Leezard

Rocksteady33 said:
I'm pretty sure you hold ALT and then press 1003 or something on the right number pad.

Man it's embarassing I know that, I used to be such a loser when it came to Pokemon back in the day....

What country are you from? We have a separate button for that on the keyboards in Sweden. I believe the french have it as well.

Top Bottom