• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/7 - 7/13

sakuragi

Banned
marc^o^ said:
PSP is a huge success in Japan. Sony just needs a way to convince PSP owners to buy a PS3. Think of a great connectivity concept Sony :)

Insert the obligatory wait for FF13 post here. But really, FF13 may boost PS3 sales the way Monster hunter did for the PSP only if the PS3 will receive a price cut + PS3 light + FF13 bundles with backward compatibility.

DQV DS will crack a million and then some. Good luck for it to try and beat the PS2 remake.

Wow at the fucking PSP bump. Gundacolourbundlebump indeed.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fady K said:
This. Seriously, everytime I go to pick up a new PSP game, the guy tells me "Im surprised you're not downloading yet..people are just downloading everything" :(
That's nothing - over here the stores are now only selling "bundles" where bundle means 5-10pirated games of choice on the memory stick they sell with system (of course, they charge for it - at least 50$ over what the PSP+MS would cost by itself).
Most stores either refuse to sell hardware alone, or add 10-15% extra price on it (even if you buy original games with it).

That said, afaik they are doing the same with DS too - the fact that flash is so damn cheap these days is making Eastern Asia piracy situation worse for handhelds then it was even in GBA days (flashcarts used to cost as much as the system itself back then).

Fady K

Fafalada said:
That's nothing - over here the stores are now only selling "bundles" where bundle means 5-10pirated games of choice on the memory stick they sell with system (of course, they charge for it - at least 50$ over what the PSP+MS would cost by itself).
Most stores either refuse to sell hardware alone, or add 10-15% extra price on it (even if you buy original games with it).

That said, afaik they are doing the same with DS too - the fact that flash is so damn cheap these days is making Eastern Asia piracy situation worse for handhelds then it was even in GBA days (flashcarts used to cost as much as the system itself back then).

Whoa, thats exactly what its like here too! People can just get a bundled PSP witha memory stick with up to like 8 - 10 games inside!!!

Btw, im starting to see pirated DS stuff too...its insane. I spotted a kid buying a 5 game in 1 DS card. I hear 5 in 1 is nothing even.

Parl

Talamius said:
Unfortunately I think the PSP is the only platform where rampant piracy is actually making developers think twice about it.
If piracy is stopped, then hardware sales go down.

No Top30 yet.... >_<

But here´s the Top10 with some numbers and some new releases:

PSP: 76.041
NDS: 61.089
WII: 42.497
PS3: 11.967
PS2: 10.278
360: 3.655

1. Dragon Quest V (NDS) 679.000 [679.000]
2. Gundam Battle Universe (PSP) 153.000 [153.000]
3. Persona 4 (PS2) 35.000 [247.000]
4. Tears to Tiara: Kakan no Daichi (PS3) 34.000 [34.000]
5. Wii Fit (Wii)
6. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (NDS)
7. Densetsu no Stafy: Taiketsu! Dire Kaizokudan (NDS)
8. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
9. Derby Stallion DS (NDS)
10. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP)

xx. Metal Slug 7 (NDS) 3.200
xx. Might and Magic Elements (360) 2.400
xx. Metal Gear Online (PS3) 2.000
xx. Boom Blox (Wii) 700

Neomoto

Dragon Quest V did awesome! PSP hardware sales are very high indeed, DS got a small bump.

Metal Slug 7 bombed fucking hard :( (though I don't know how others in the serie have sold) Such a shame, it looked so awesome, and it is a mainline entry in the series.

Anasui Kishibe said:
HOLY SHIT at these DQV sales

MKWII has awesome legs. I'm still saying it will go neck to neck with the DS version, and probably overtake it
It's started better. Its first few months of legs are better. The only thing to see is whether it can keep doing that for years on end.
Raggy said:
no Panther graphs?
PantherLotus said:
mc-weekly-pie-85.jpg

mc-weekly-line-85.jpg

mc-LTDs-85.jpg

mc-marketshare-pie-85.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-85.jpg

mc-wii-lead-85.jpg

mc-YOY-weekly-85.jpg

mc-YOY-YTD-85.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Considering how much of a RPG machine the DS is at this point in its lifetime, I'm not surprised DQ didn't send it soaring beyond the PSP.

Xeke

Banned
Vinci said:
Considering how much of a RPG machine the DS is at this point in its lifetime, I'm not surprised DQ didn't send it soaring beyond the PSP.

What the hell where you guys expecting? DQIV and Joker and a million other games are out already, there couldn't have been very many Dragon Quest fans without a DS already.

Not too shocked about Metal Slug. The series is incredibly niche here, and the game didn't seem to have very wide distribution (not available at any of the stores in my city of around 120,000 people for example).

This makes me happy though, as I should be able to find it pretty cheap in Akiba!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Segata Sanshiro said:
Not too shocked about Metal Slug. The series is incredibly niche here, and the game didn't seem to have very wide distribution (not available at any of the stores in my city of around 120,000 people for example).

This makes me happy though, as I should be able to find it pretty cheap in Akiba!

B-b-but... think of the wages of those poor pixel artists that work on the Metal Slug series! Surely those brave souls are more deserving of a full salary than anybody else. :<

lopaz

Banned
SovanJedi said:
B-b-but... think of the wages of those poor pixel artists that work on the Metal Slug series! Surely those brave souls are more deserving of a full salary than anybody else. :<

They haven't done any work for years

CTLance

Captain Smoker said:
xx. Boom Blox (Wii) 700
:(

*gasps for air*
*points accusingly in the general direction of Japan*
*reaches for rolled-up newspaper & gardenhose*

What a bomb. Holy smokes. That's just nasty. And totally unwarranted. I hope it'll have some stealth legs.

Neomoto

Xeke said:
What the hell where you guys expecting? DQIV and Joker and a million other games are out already, there couldn't have been very many Dragon Quest fans without a DS already.
People are surprised?! Here's a newsflash: DS probably won't get a large hardware bump when Dragon Quest IX will hit also. Oh noez!

Gaborn said:
Eventually the PSP will run out of new colors.
They'll invent new ones. Just you wait and see.

Luckyman said:
Nintendo owned at their own game. Epic.
Why? It is a Square game.. Nintendo get's a lot of royalties AND had a hardware boost and they didn't do anything for it. I'm sure Iwata will be up wake at night worrying :lol

Fady K said:
One thing I would like to see is Square-Enix try releasing a Dragon Quest title for the system and see how it sells. Seriously, wonders is the exact word. And with today's announcement of a new Idolmaster coming, its expected to see another game sell well on the platform over in Japan.
It'll be interesting to see how IM fares on a system with a big install base. Will it profit from said base or will the audience be limited to the hardcore otaku and not show a huge jump? I'm not expecting that huge of a bump but I could be absolutely dead wrong on this.

For the JGAFers: How popular is that series in the arcades?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Holy shit. And PSP still > DS?

Did you read the topic? New color and remake of a franchise already prevalent on the system = PSP still ahead

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Neomoto said:
Why? It is a Square game.. Nintendo get's a lot of royalties AND had a hardware boost and they didn't do anything for it. I'm sure Iwata will be up wake at night worrying :lol

He's talking about counteracting DQ with a new PSP color. The same tactic Nintendo likes to use to hurt big releases on Sony Systems.
But I'm sure you already knew that when you decided to damage control it.

Fady K

Gaborn said:
Eventually the PSP will run out of new colors.

Yes, colors are everything to a system's sales. Maybe the system is just *popular*.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Holy shit. And PSP still > DS?

This!!

Captain Smoker said:
No Top30 yet.... >_<

But here´s the Top10 with some numbers and some new releases:

700 for Boom Blox? Holy shit.

And does no one like Metal Slug there??

Phife Dawg said:
It'll be interesting to see how IM fares on a system with a big install base. Will it profit from said base or will the audience be limited to the hardcore otaku and not show a huge jump? I'm not expecting that huge of a bump but I could be absolutely dead wrong on this.

For the JGAFers: How popular is that series in the arcades?

Im curious too, though im really curious at this point at the sales of some big names - namely Dragon Quest for one, on the PSP.

Busaiku

That's at least like 90% sell through of the initial shipment of Dragon Quest V if my math is right (probably isn't).
I really hope SE managed to get more to retailers.

If not, I wonder if they'll ever learn their lesson...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jokeropia said:
Yep, and then DQIX still has 2008 as the target.

Oh, thought that was 09.

I knew it couldnt be DQ IX though. I have no faith in that getting out this year. Only TGS can turn that ship around

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
Also how is the drop off for Persona 4?

p3 -> 127k -> 32k -> lifetime 210k
p3fes -> 105k -> 30k -> lifetime 165k
nocturne -> 151k -> 41k -> lifetime 245k

steeper drop, but first week was so high it doesn't even matter

Phife Dawg said:

It will be interesting for sure. Bandai is definitely trying to explore the potential of this series. Since the DLC on XB360 is so successful for IM, I wonder how they will translate it for the PSP version...?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Busaiku said:
That's at least like 90% sell through of the initial shipment of Dragon Quest V if my math is right (probably isn't).
I really hope SE managed to get more to retailers.

If not, I wonder if they'll ever learn their lesson...

they noted day one that they have a restock prepared. we shouldn't see the same cockups that hit swords, joker, and iv-r.

Neomoto

HK-47 said:
He's talking about counteracting DQ with a new PSP color. The same tactic Nintendo likes to use to hurt big releases on Sony Systems.
But I'm sure you already knew that when you decided to damage control it.
I know, and I'm not damage controlling it.. lol. He said and I quote "Nintendo owned at their own game. Epic.". I don't see how it applies to "Nintendo" other than that the DS is from them, since it is a Square game and the other things I said in my original reply. Especially since the DS already had a couple of Dragon Quest titles. If Sony would have done the same thing when Platimum comes out, then I could see such a statement make sense but not now.

Spiegel

HK-47 said:
Oh, thought that was 09.

They said it's coming this fiscal year (before April 2009), but last year they said it was coming before the end of last fiscal year (April 2008), iirc. So I'm not expecting it this year

And I would like to see the graphs on portables too, Panther.

AnimeTheme said:
It will be interesting for sure. Bandai is definitely trying to explore the potential of this series. Since the DLC on XB360 is so successful for IM, I wonder how they will translate it for the PSP version...?
That's a good question. Maybe buying via PSN and transfering it to the PSP?

Fady K said:
Im curious too, though im really curious at this point at the sales of some big names - namely Dragon Quest for one, on the PSP.
DQ is coming to the PSP?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Thanks to third parties living in anti-time, there's nothing this year that compares to Dragon Quest Swords.

It is kind of interesting isn't it? Unless 3rd parties have some big reveals coming up, its looking like nothing this year will match DQ:Swords or RE:UC from last year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Captain Smoker said:
Should be a separate version. :)
Code:
Metal Gear Online  	 Konami  	 06/12/08  	 JP
Metal Gear Online 	 Konami 	 07/17/08 	 JP
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/data/942282.html
Yep, just to confirm, this newly released version of Metal Gear Online is indeed a separate version :) This version is the standalone version of Metal Gear Online. The Metal Gear Online that is included with Metal Gear Solid 4 must be launched from the Metal Gear Solid 4 main menu.

I currently play Metal Gear Online almost every day and i wish there was a way to launch it directly without having to go through Metal Gear Solid 4's main menu first to launch it. Its no big problem to do this though, but i would prefer to be able to launch Metal Gear Online directly, like you could with the Metal Gear Online beta and that you can (i'm pretty sure you can atleast) with the newly released standalone version of Metal Gear Online :)

RJT

schuelma said:
It is kind of interesting isn't it? Unless 3rd parties have some big reveals coming up, its looking like nothing this year will match DQ:Swords or RE:UC from last year.
Dead Rising Wii should do a few hundred thousand. And the Tales spin-off was on RE:UC level of sales.

Top Bottom