• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Has it always been that far away from the end of the quarter? I never really kept track of it before. I thought it would have been closer to the end of the quarter.

Yeah most financial calls are about 20-40 days after the end of the quarter so they have time to compile all of their results and analyze them more effectively.

Wait... if you have the wii version of DQX, you have the buy the client again? Surely there is at least some sort of discount?

Or some exclusive shit if you have a wii account?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah most financial calls are about 20-40 days after the end of the quarter so they have time to compile all of their results and analyze them more effectively.

I could analyze them right now for free!

sense

So how long until the Vita price drop comes to America?

probably guess a price cut around a somewhat popular game like killzone mercenary. so september 17 with an assassins creed game most likely the month after and maybe some other multiplat ports and maybe a decent cod this time might help it sell somewhat better this time around with a price cut associated than last year.

Scum

I think Nintendo is making a big mistake if they keep Iwata for one more fiscal year. To me, it's a sign that they have no plan to change the fate of Wii U if Iwata sticks around until march 2014.

They must get rid of Iwata now or Wii U will struggle all generation.

And who will you pick as his replacement?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Kaz Hirai was just put in not long ago to replace Howard Stringer.

It's not overly common to oust the new CEO without giving them time to try and change what the last CEO did.

I just checked, my bad, it's been only one year. Seemed a lot more, though

Looking at the Game & Wario sales, it's become painfully apparent that another "paradigm shift" needs to be triggered within Nintendo. The days of selling empty calorie games with polished presentation at a high mark-up are done.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not commenting on your point, but CEO transitions are most common near the end of a fiscal year as opposed to the calendar year (unless for the company they are the same).

I think in Iwata's case he could be gone a little earlier than April 2014, I mean when January's Investor Meeting will happen, since it's probably with the Holidays that we'll see how much the 1 billion / around 1 billion profits forecast is seriously possible.

schuelma

Wait... if you have the wii version of DQX, you have the buy the client again? Surely there is at least some sort of discount?

Or some exclusive shit if you have a wii account?

You get it half off, but you have to buy it digitally. So I assume there are at least a few thousand of those.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I could analyze them right now for free!

Haha.

I know you're joking, but for the benefit of the curious, while the overall performance might be obvious, usually the wait is also for things like getting in final numbers from retailers so they can report accurate numbers.

Considering the DQ relationship with Nintendo recently, DQ8 would probably be a 3DS or Wii U release.

After DQX bombed horribly on WiiU, SE only has 2 options. 3DS port, which would look just like it did 10 years ago, maybe slightly worse, or PS3 (maybe PS3/PSV if Sony moneyhats).

Well, on second thought, I will be fair and wait for DD numbers of DQX. PSO2 (a port as well) sold 61K first week and was downloaded more than that IIRC (though it was free to download). I will wait and see DQX's DD numbers, maybe it was better than expected.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Alright, this was just the appetizer from Nintendo. Wario?!? pfff. DQX port? old news.

Let's take a look at what the geniuses in Kyoto have lined up for lucky Wii U owners in Japan the next 2-3 months shall we?

Pokemon Rumble on April 24th

RE:Revelations on May 23rd!!

Then in June the big guns hit

Injustice and Rabbidsland June 6th.

F1 All Star Racing June 27th.

And that's it folks!

Ugh, that's really bad. Where's the software Nintendo?

zroid

Banned
There is a microgame mode in Game & Wario as well. I'm not sure how many microgames there are, but i saw a Youtube video (here) and i counted about 20 different games, and 4-5 variants.

22 microgames in the "Gamer" mode, iirc. Gamer is a really clever concept for the Wii U. There is honestly some great stuff in here, I'm a little disheartened to see so many not giving it the time of day, as such.

Sephzilla

probably guess a price cut around a somewhat popular game like killzone mercenary. so september 17 with an assassins creed game most likely the month after and maybe some other multiplat ports and maybe a decent cod this time might help it sell somewhat better this time around with a price cut associated than last year.

My gut is saying E3 might be when we hear/get a price cut of some form.

And who will you pick as his replacement?

Not my responsbility. But if I had the choice, I would pick a someone outside of Nintendo and preferably must be a westener who has an extensive career in high end comsumer electronics and social engineering.

If Vita doesn't drop next week i will not consider these weeks a fluke and think that it might remain on these numbers for a while

I'm not calling you out specifically as this may well be the first time you have said something like this, but it is funny seeing similar statements in every weeks Media Create thread.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think in Iwata's case he could be gone a little earlier than April 2014, I mean when January's Investor Meeting will happen, since it's probably with the Holidays that we'll see how much the 1 billion / around 1 billion profits forecast is seriously possible.

Yes, but he might be "in-transition" until near the end of the quarter itself.

Like JR and Wada were announced before the end of the quarter, but JR was there for several more weeks after his announcement.

Road

the HD version of MH3rd P on PS3 - a game that sold between 4.5 and 5 million on the PSP sold around 400k copies at a semi-budget price.

MH3GU has an advantage of being one of two actually interesting titles at launch and has a bundle.

And DQX - a port of a game already out and fingered as underperforming and being part of the reason SE's stock price took a tumble. But hey - we all know how much the japanese love HD shit right?! oh wait....

Again - if this was MH-console-exclusive-new-edition and DQ11 all new singing and dancing, then this would be a much larger point - at the moment, it's a nice bonus, but little more than that.

"IT HAS DQ AND MH AND OMG ELECTROLITES!"

I think the biggest surprise of this coming few years is how "badly" Wii U is going to do in the next year in Japan.

And in order to make it official, i'd like to collate sales projections for a couple of things over the next 6 months :

1) Wii U hardware Units
2) Monster Hunter 3gU sales

in Japan.

GO!

(hey, someone bring up my previous monster hunter prediction! Quick!)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

Scum

Either Iwata pulls some pretty big rabbits out of the hat, or he's under unworkable pressure. I can't see how this gets turned around right now.

I fear for the 'GAF accounts of many if Iwata does manage to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat! lol

MarkusRJR

I'm surprised Game & Wario didn't do worse.

It looks like the most boring, pointless and overpriced mini game collection ever released and completely lacks what made the WarioWare series special. This should have been pre-installed or a series of very cheap downloadable games, but not a retail title.
IIRC it was originally going to be a pack in before they changed it to Nintendo Land. That's why every game in Game & Wario only uses the Game Pad, because they wouldn't know if everyone would own a Wii Remote.

schuelma

Ugh, that's really bad. Where's the software Nintendo?

My working theory is Nintendo is preparing for a price drop in June to coincide with Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3. I'm probably wrong just like I've been wrong about a lot of stuff lately, but its the only way that not having anything out in April and May makes any kind of sense.

Doczu

What are the chances that Animal Crossing New Leaf will surpass Wild World in the long run?
Also - time for another Nintendo Direct. Show them games Iwata!

YuChai

My working theory is Nintendo is preparing for a price drop in June to coincide with Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3. I'm probably wrong just like I've been wrong about a lot of stuff lately, but its the only way that not having anything out in April and May makes any kind of sense.
I love the first pikmin but I won't think it really sell well

After DQX bombed horribly on WiiU, SE only has 2 options. 3DS port, which would look just like it did 10 years ago, maybe slightly worse, or PS3 (maybe PS3/PSV if Sony moneyhats).

Well, on second thought, I will be fair and wait for DD numbers of DQX. PSO2 (a port as well) sold 61K first week and was downloaded more than that IIRC (though it was free to download). I will wait and see DQX's DD numbers, maybe it was better than expected.

If they don't at least get it on PC I don't know what they're doing, unless they feel they've already got their hat full of money and expanding the number of supported platforms isn't worth it.

serplux

Not my responsbility. But if I had the choice, I would pick a someone outside of Nintendo and preferably must be a westener who has an extensive career in high end comsumer electronics and social engineering.

For Nintendo of America? Sure, definitely, that would be pretty sweet, as long as they gave NoA some liberty.

For the Kyoto office? No fucking way.

zroid

Banned
What are the chances that Animal Crossing New Leaf will surpass Wild World in the long run?
Also - time for another Nintendo Direct. Show them games Iwata!

At this stage, I think it seems completely realistic for NL to surpass WW. It's a monster.

I think it's basically inconceivable that it doesn't.
He would actually be a very good thing for Nintendo.

He was just ousted from EA. Why on Earth would you think he'd be suitable for a much, much tougher job?

Not to mention his business practices would be absolutely unacceptable for Nintendo's worldwide fanbase.

For Nintendo of America? Sure, definitely, that would be pretty sweet, as long as they gave NoA some liberty.

For the Kyoto office? No fucking way.

Why not? Nintendo is a global company and needs someone to lead at the global level. Leave behind a President of NoJ if need be, but someone that has more of a balance and understanding of all markets needs to be CEO.

He would actually be a very good thing for Nintendo.

As a preorder bonus you will get 5 additional DLC levels to your new Mario Galaxy but don't worry if you buy game used they will be on e-shop for 10$. Trust me guys they aren't 10kb unlock code for content already proved on disc.

schuelma

I love the first pikmin but I won't think it really sell well

The first 2 were 500k-ish sellers in Japan. That's pretty good.

Combine that with Wii Fit U and I think that's a pretty strong re-launch lineup.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

To be fair, I don't think your theories were generally unreasonable.

It's just that Nintendo seemingly dropped the ball on even the easy things.

saichi

Now I'm definitely curious how Final Fantasy X and X-2 will sell on PS3 and Vita. Wasn't FFX Famitsu's #1 game according to pollers?

where did this come from? last time I saw the chart, MH4 is #1. However, in general, the chart doesn't mean anything at all.

Assuming FFX HD is #1 now which means MH4 is below it (so is Pokemon X/Y). Would you really believe FFX HD on PS3/VITA would sell more than MH4 and Pokemon X/Y? Or we can predict that FFX HD would sell over 4 million copies!

sense

Those are some pretty big ifs.

funny enough i have no "ifs" in the comment but i get what you are saying tho. yea tried to be not too optimistic but those are likely though. there will be a couple of multiplats and an assassin's creed along with killzone and probably tearaway. so that is the best time for a price cut.

Top Bottom