• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

And who will you pick as his replacement?

How about this guy:

miyamoto-candy.jpg

rouken

go luigi :) also, animal crossing is not going anywhere. i won't be surprised if its still there by the end of the year. that's what happened to the trinity right?

honest question: is Hirai gone as well?

nope, because ps4 already won as said by certain people. :)

plus, everybody loves kaz. the kaz-iwata gif ratio is laughable.

test_account

XP-39C²
22 microgames in the "Gamer" mode, iirc. Gamer is a really clever concept for the Wii U. There is honestly some great stuff in here, I'm a little disheartened to see so many not giving it the time of day, as such.
I see. Are there any online leaderboards in Game & Wario by the way?

That's not what I said in the first post. Though admittedly I could have been clearer, hence my clarification when asked.
Yeah, i know that you didnt specifically mention in your first post about the sub 10k within mid April, but you said that you werent changing your prediction, and when you were asked when "soon" was, you said that your initial prediction was sub 10k within mid April. I understood this as you ment "not changing my prediction" was referring to the sub 10k within mid April prediction. Unless you revised your prediction before that first post? I must have missed that if that was the case, sorry.

But no big deal at all :) I was just wondering if you had changed your prediction, and i also missed your other post in the previous Media Create thread where you revised your prediction to the end of April instead, sorry. But i see now that your prediction is to end of April instead.

Wii U, what a joke.
Games did not sell much less than expected, but the hardware failed to see vital signs. As for Dragon Quest X, well, it already sold more than 600k units on Wii, that's a nice result.

3DS, on the other hand, it's incredible.
Luigi's Mansion is selling well above expectations.

Go_Ly_Dow

I know its a port and a MMO, but still.....

Holy shit @ DQX mega bomba!

Nintendo aside the new S-E CEO must be raging hard at Yoichi Wada for his many messy decisions.

serplux

To be fair, I don't think your theories were generally unreasonable.

It's just that Nintendo seemingly dropped the ball on even the easy things.

My opinion is that Nintendo has actually finished a couple of projects (The Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U come to mind), but they've decided to write off the first half of the year as a lost until they can get a steady release schedule going for the second half. No point in doing a price cut unless you have software to back it up.

Alright, this was just the appetizer from Nintendo. Wario?!? pfff. DQX port? old news.

Let's take a look at what the geniuses in Kyoto have lined up for lucky Wii U owners in Japan the next 2-3 months shall we?

Pokemon Rumble on April 24th

RE:Revelations on May 23rd!!

Then in June the big guns hit

Injustice and Rabbidsland June 6th.

F1 All Star Racing June 27th.

And that's it folks!

With this kind of output, would it be fair to ask Nintendo to concentrate exclusively on the 3DS? I ask the same question on Sony concentrating exclusively on PS4.

I'm kind of surprised Wii U hardware bumped that much given the bad software sales. Probably all because of the DQX bundle.

I think so. Do we have numbers on how many bundles they shipped?

Are DQX servers shared? I.e. can a Wii player play with/against a WiiU player?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
He was just ousted from EA. Why on Earth would you think he'd be suitable for a much, much tougher job?

I don't think turning around EA from a $1 billion losing licensed game shovelware factory to a significantly better performing original IP company was a small feat, but I feel someone like him would never have the kind of staff buy in to impart gigantic reforms of the type he likes.

I mean his first acts as CEO would likely be axing the Wii U and putting their console titles on every platform, and then investing heavily in mobile in addition to the 3DS. Anyone who would do things like that is not going to be Nintendo's next CEO, even if they're his Japanese doppelganger and already works at Nintendo.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Muramasa port selling more than a Dragon Quest. What an odd turn and a real statement to developers on where not to put their games. Game & Wario bomba goes even further to paint the doom.

Even I'm surprised to see Vita holding 30k+ still.

The first 2 were 500k-ish sellers in Japan. That's pretty good.

Combine that with Wii Fit U and I think that's a pretty strong re-launch lineup.

I still think WiiFit U is going to bomb terribly, I'll make my prediction now it will sell less than G&W.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My opinion is that Nintendo has actually finished a couple of projects (The Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U come to mind), but they've decided to write off the first half of the year as a lost until they can get a steady release schedule going for the second half. No point in doing a price cut unless you have software to back it up.

Yeah I think that is probably correct. Iwata said something like steady releases will start this summer or the 2nd half of the year or something.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You want someone who has a GLOBAL view, that is open to changes and like to give customers the best product possible? In that case, Masahiro Sakurai would be da man, but it needs to be guided: the last time he was a CEO of a company (a little company though), that company failed. I don't know why, but I feel that, if "trained" and sustained by a great BoD, Sakurai could be a good CEO. But it's probably not happening now, Nintendo would need a very experienced man in not just gaming but economics / world relationships too in a post-Iwata.

schuelma

I still think WiiFit U is going to bomb terribly, I'll make my prediction now it will sell less than G&W.

Come on. It could see an incredible decline from the Wii versions and still do a lot more than Game & Wario.

Somnid

Nintendo hasn't given Q2 release dates. There's probably at least one of the 3 (Wii Fit, W101, Pikmin 3) landing in May. I think due to the lack of games they aren't scheduling release dates but will probably fast-track anything once the development wraps.

Also what's up with the Game and Wario hate? This one looks like it has far more effort than previous entries in the Ware franchise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yeah I don't think there's a imminent price cut either.

Price cuts make the most sense with gigantic software relatively close, so something in September or later would make more sense to me.

rouken

yup, my thoughts as well. they will do a relaunch event just like the 3ds had with a price cut and announcement of a couple of games they have on the backburner. maybe after E3 i guess or close to tokyo game show.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Nintendo Investor Meeting for the Fiscal Year Report is gonna be a bloodbath, isn't it?

schuelma

Yeah I don't think there's a imminent price cut either.

Price cuts make the most sense with gigantic software relatively close, so something in September or later would make more sense to me.

I could be off, but at least in Japan I don't think the 3DS price cut was accompanied by huge software.

duckroll

You want someone who has a GLOBAL view, that is open to changes and like to give customers the best product possible? In that case, Masahiro Sakurai would be da man, but it needs to be guided: the last time he was a CEO of a company (a little company though), that company failed. I don't know why, but I feel that, if "trained" and sustained by a great BoD, Sakurai could be a good CEO. But it's probably not happening now, Nintendo would need a very experienced man in not just gaming but economics / world relationships too in a post-Iwata.

What experience does Sakurai have in running businesses, and managing the finance and development of products in a company employing thousands of people? What experience does he have in supervising the product development of hardware platforms? What experience does he have in building relationships with developers and publishers around the world?

Nintendo hasn't given Q2 release dates. There's probably at least one of the 3 (Wii Fit, W101, Pikmin 3) landing in May. I think due to the lack of games they aren't scheduling release dates but will probably fast-track anything once the development wraps.

Also what's up with the Game and Wario hate? This one looks like it has far more effort than previous entries in the Ware franchise.

Wii Fit U and Wonderful 101 are not going to be huge sellers, and most definitely not system sellers. Pikmin 3 is interesting because the series has been on hiatus for so long. It will have been 9 years since Pikmin 2 on GCN by the time Pikmin 3 is out on Wii U, so who knows what kind of figures that will do. It could be a system seller though, but I'm not sure who will buy a Wii U for it outside of the hardcore Nintendo fans, and they probably already own a Wii U.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People say this a lot - is there something I'm missing?

The impression things like Iwata Asks and other interviews give is that Miyamoto already has a large impact on the direction of Nintendo.

If Nintendo's core strategy was sound and they were simply failing on execution, he would be an obvious choice because the goal would be to continue with the same strategy, but hopefully do a better job of enacting it.

However, currently the core strategy seems to have flaws, so putting in Miyamoto is not a great way to cause it to change.

Lot´s of people on GAF considered it a Killer App that would secure the WiiUs triumph in Japan alongside Monster Hunter and NSMBU.
I still chuckle sometimes when i remember the WiiU pre launch time last year.
I have to hand it to DCharlie, he was totally right about old 3DS/Wii ports not doing much for Wii U. Though Capcom at least seemed thrilled with MH3G sales, we'll see for SE with DQX.

Nintendo's biggest problem is that they did not learn from the mistakes they made with the Wii. Sure, the Wii was one of the best selling consoles of all time so it is weird saying they made "mistakes" with that console. Be that as it may, Nintendo released a purported "Next Gen" console that will not be able to play next-gen games. I seriously doubt that any of the next-gen game engines are going to be compatible with the Wii U. That means that, once again, Nintendo will have no 3rd party support and will be an island onto themselves. Sure their 1st party games are generally good, but only good enough to convince hard core Nintendo fans to buy the console. Same thing happened with the Wii.

I don't think a change in leadership will help the Wii U at this point. These problems are going to occur regardless of the corporate leadership. The only thing one can hope is that Nintendo does learn its lesson and focus more on the processing power of the machine and less on the gimmicks.

AOC83

Banned
I have to hand it to DCharlie, he was totally right about old 3DS/Wii ports not doing much for Wii U. Though Capcom at least seemed thrilled with MH3G sales, we'll see for SE with DQX.

I´m sure Capcom was happy making a quick buck with a HD port but it didn´t help the console itself much.

Nibel

It's kind of heartbreaking that Nintendo is unstoppable when it comes to actual software quality/game design (in most cases) and fucking sucking at almost everything else

As a Wii U owner, I know that there is software coming, but for fucks sake: I never had those droughts with my other Nintendo consoles; I always had something to play on SNES, N64, GC and Wii, but nothing on Wii U - as ironically as this sounds for many, for me as a Nintendo fan that thing doesn't feel like a Nintendo console anymore to me

They made some huge mistakes - now they have to deal with it and try to make the best of it

Also, Japan experts: how should we interpret the -79% of the One Piece game? Didn't the first one perform better in comparison? Seems like a huge drop to me

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What experience does Sakurai have in running businesses, and managing the finance and development of products in a company employing thousands of people? What experience does he have in supervising the product development of hardware platforms? What experience does he have in building relationships with developers and publishers around the world?

Yeah it makes zero sense to just list off people's favorite developers.

I personally feel someone who is A.) primarily a business person, B.) not already at Nintendo, and C.) works in an industry where they (preferably personally) have to get large amounts of buy in from other companies to support their product would be the most apt choice.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The real statement is: "Don't develop games on Wii U. Just make porting on Vita.".

Battle of the Wii ports. PS3 + Vita development targets seem like a good fit for the middle tier of Japanese development. Vita seems to have at least found a fairly hardcore and purchase intensive audience for this sorta thing. Bodes well for Dragon's Crown at least.

Shikoro

イワタオワ
ッ
タ XD
This thing is going around blogs for some time now...

I hope that Vita does good number this week, too. Nintendo should cut the price of the Wii U if they want to stay competitive. That, and some games.

[Useless fact]

The game sold >6k digitally. So 16-18% of the total sales were downloads.

[/Useless fact]

That's not useless. How do you know that?

16-18% on the PSP is pretty damn good. We thought those were optimistic averages for Vita.

My working theory is Nintendo is preparing for a price drop in June to coincide with Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3. I'm probably wrong just like I've been wrong about a lot of stuff lately, but its the only way that not having anything out in April and May makes any kind of sense.

That would actually make sense and it would be interesting to see it compete with the PS3 as I think the PS3 will get a price drop around E3 for The Last of Us and to have a decent price gap with the PS4's price (i.e. Sony wants the PS3 to be the "budget" console and the PS4 to be the "premium" console of choice).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

That's why I said it's most probably not happening now and that it would need to be guided though. It's just that I like the guy a lot, how he thinks and how he's open to the West especially, but he'd need to learn so many things before starting having a more operative role in Nintendo :p

Being more serious, do we have any hints about who could be Nintendo's CEO for the post-Iwata, especially from the BoD?

That wii U line-up for the coming months is incredible. Surely they must have known that releasing absolutely nothing would lead to this situation. If anything the line-up is even worse in the west where DQ and MH mean even less. What a disaster.

Iwata will be gone by the end of the year.

As much as i like him it will be well deserved. The 3DS wasn't exactly a smashing success but i don't think it's a huge failure. The wii U on the other hand, it's hard to imagine it doing much worse than this really. To consider the position they were in with the DS and wii just a few years ago to where they are now, it's just incredible. Nintendo have just dropped the ball so badly and in the end the buck has to stop with him.

Top Bottom