• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

The Final Fantasy brand isn't exactly what it used to be by a long shot.

Like... even compared to last gen.

Well maybe we should first wait for the launch of FFXV before saying there has been huge decline in the power of the brand. Of course it's possible and even maybe likely but I just don't think you can judge it from HD remaster of not too old spinoff game. FFX HD still sold just fine.

So.... 3DS release schedule? (the bolded ones are new as of the Direct)

April:
4/2 - Rodea Sky Soldier
4/2 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
4/16 - Style Savvy 3
4/23 - Bravely Second: End Layer
4/29 - Puzzles & Dragons: Super Mario Edition

5/14 - Codename Steam
5/28 - Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe
6/11 - DBZ: Extreme Butouden
6/11 - Rhythm Heaven
6/18 - PopoloCrois
6/25 - Fire Emblem If (both versions)

Q2 release list so far

PSV - 39 titles
3DS - 26 titles
PS4 - 20 titles
PS3 - 16 titles
XBO - 12 titles
WiiU - 6 titles (*)
PSP - 2 titles

(*) something was announced this morning during Direct ?

sense

Well maybe we should first wait for the launch of FFXV before saying there has been huge decline in the power of the brand. Of course it's possible and even maybe likely but I just don't think you can judge it from HD remaster of not too old spinoff game. FFX HD still sold just fine.

agreed and i am sure the pricing also turned many people off. it should have been a budget release in japan considering type 0 was out on psp here.

Man what a busy week. I'm expecting PS4 to have somewhat soft drops during April. It'll probably drop faster after GW

And I also just realized I missed the predictions deadline, crap

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...I still need to realise that, maybe, this Holidays we could see Sony's Persona and Nintendo's Persona face off each other. Wut.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I mean... Advent Children w/ FF13 demo still sold what... 226K in the first week alone?

Yeah, I think the Advent Children comparison is the most damning part here.

Here you're even getting a game instead of a movie.

...I still need to realise that, maybe, this Holidays we could see Sony's Persona and Nintendo's Persona face off each other. Wut.

I'll spoil this one and reveal that Persona 5 will win. :p

Eolz

Q2 release list so far

PSV - 39 titles
3DS - 26 titles
PS4 - 20 titles
PS3 - 16 titles
XBO - 12 titles
WiiU - 6 titles (*)
PSP - 2 titles

(*) something was announced this morning during Direct ?

Nothing for Q2 no.
SMTxFE (rip) is for this fall.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

SE probably isn't too happy, I gather. Especially after they hyped that demo up pretty hardcore before launch.

Nothing for Q2 no.
SMTxFE (rip) is for this fall.

Splatoon ? just released in the west ?

gamefaqs has :

04/02 Japan LEGO Batman 3: The Game - Gotham Kara Uchuu e
04/02 Japan Rodea the Sky Soldier
04/15 Japan Monster Hunter Frontier G7 (Premium Pack)
04/29 Japan Xenoblade Cross
04/30 Japan Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online
05/21 Japan Susume! Kinopio Taichou (amiibo Set) // aka Captain Toad

so including Splatoon on May 29 there are 7 games

Fisico

Nice work, but there's one missing in here :p
150 PSV Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk 12,253 12,253 Gust 2014-03-27

We got a minor bounce back up from Ayesha -> Escha, nothing to write home about though.

(There was also Rorona Plus, but I can see why that wouldn't be counted)

Ah yes you're right, and as you guessed I didn't include the Rorona remake on purpose.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SE probably isn't too happy, I gather. Especially after they hyped that demo up pretty hardcore before launch.

I would imagine Lightning Returns probably still burns a lot more on that front since at least this was a port of a PSP game, but yeah, not amazing performances lately.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Splatoon ? just released in the west ?

gamefaqs has :

04/02 Japan LEGO Batman 3: The Game - Gotham Kara Uchuu e
04/02 Japan Rodea the Sky Soldier
04/15 Japan Monster Hunter Frontier G7 (Premium Pack)
04/29 Japan Xenoblade Cross
04/30 Japan Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online
05/21 Japan Susume! Kinopio Taichou (amiibo Set) // aka Captain Toad

so including Splatoon on May 29 there are 7 games

gamefaqs hasn't updated anything from this direct iirc.

Didn't Advent Children Complete have pretty decent amount of completely new footage compared to normal Advent Children? Not to mention appeal of FFVII vs random spinoff game. Still of course it's movie vs game. Eh...Dunno. I still think that with huge marketing push from Sony and SE and with lack of other AAA japanese games (my reasoning why western games have started to sell better in Japan on home consoles) FFXV will do just fine (not to mention if it's actually a good game!). I also still remember the doom and gloom predictions for FFXIII because of how awfully PS3 sold early in last gen. Yet it opened just fine (it just had awful legs even for FF). FFXV will probably see another decline from already low XIII sales (for FF standards) but I still think it will do something like about million opening week and 1.4 million ltd.

sense

persona will wipe the floor in sales because it is also on ps3 but I am interested to see the sales between the ps4 version and wii u version :)

Mikey Jr.

Disgaea budget has to be at 18 cents at this point.

I swear to God, these games look identical to each other. There is no way in hell there isn't heavy asset reuse in these games. If you told me Disgaea 5 was on PS2, I'd believe you.

This coming from a fan of Disgaea.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't Advent Children Complete have pretty decent amount of completely new footage compared to normal Advent Children? Not to mention appeal of FFVII vs random spinoff game. Still of course it's movie vs game. Eh...Dunno. I still think that with huge marketing push from Sony and SE and with lack of other AAA japanese games (my reasoning why western games have started to sell better in Japan on home consoles) FFXV will do just fine (not to mention if it's actually a good game!). I also still remember the doom and gloom predictions for FFXIII because of how awfully PS3 sold early in last gen. Yet it opened just fine (it just had awful legs even for FF). FFXV will probably see another decline from already low XIII sales (for FF standards) but I still think it will do something like about million opening week and 1.4 million ltd.
I don't think people are expecting it to totally bomb, but a 1.4 million LTD for example would be a 30% drop in sales over FFXIII.

To talk on a potential lower end, if it only ended up at a million, that'd be a 50% drop.

hongcha

April:
4/2 - Rodea Sky Soldier
4/16 - Style Savvy 3

5/14 - Codename Steam
6/11 - Rhythm Heaven
6/18 - PopoloCrois

Stella Glow comes out 6/4.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

April:
4/2 - Rodea Sky Soldier
4/16 - Style Savvy 3

5/14 - Codename Steam
6/11 - Rhythm Heaven
6/18 - PopoloCrois

Stella Glow and Great Ace Attorney.

Is Nintendo dropping the 3DS? Why ain't they doing anything like money hatting some 3rd party games? This list looks mediocre.

It''ll be interesting to see what kind of drop the PS4 will see in April. The Vita was in a similar situation in 2013 where it not only got lots of release but even a price drop.

Vita went from selling 235,020 units in March 2013 (5 weeks) to selling 70,513 in April 2013 (4 weeks). That's about a 70% drop.

PS4 sold 205,559 units in March 2015 (5 weeks). If it drops like the Vita did then it will only do ~61,673 in April. Should be interesting.

Go_Ly_Dow

Type-0 did worse than expected in the end. Huge drop off too. FFXV demo not strong enough.

I mean... Advent Children w/ FF13 demo still sold what... 226K in the first week alone?

I think it underperformed too so not trying to make a real case for it but isnt it a much higher price? Like 8k yen versus 5k?

Also what's the install base comparison? AC released much further in to the PS3 cycle in comparison to 4.

I don't think people are expecting it to totally bomb, but a 1.4 million LTD for example would be a 30% drop in sales over FFXIII.

To talk on a potential lower end, if it only ended up at a million, that'd be a 50% drop.

Oh well then I agree that without a miracle we will see another decline for XV. A million would be definitely hugely disappointing but something like 1.5 million is just the max you can do currently in japanese home console market imo. Western sales for XV will be far more important as market for blockbuster console games is still healthy in the west.

sense

Oregano redeemed :) here is a wall of shame for some

I think DQH Vita and Hyrule Warriors (N)3DS are both pretty likely to happen. The former moreso than the latter.

Nothing of these will happen, especially DQH.

They are both incredibly unlikely to happen.

I don't think it's likely because for major core game releases, Square Enix seems to be moving away from Vita and onto the PS4. In terms of technical barriers, the game already performs better on the PS4 than the PS3, so having to downgrade it even further for the Vita seems to be extra work when they could be putting that effort towards a sequel instead.

sörine;155596372 said:
How about both DQH Special and HW Special for 4DS?

Both are not likely to happen

Faustek

Lol yeah, was going to point that out before bed but there it is.
People really don't see that everything that can give a sale is needed these days. The stick your head in the sand method only benefits them if a platform holder is smothering them with cash.

A even a broken clock is right twice a day. Esp when you see the other stuff Oregano has said in the past far from redeemed.

I have not and didn't see Oregano but seeing it coming was pretty easy. The only hard part is figuring out when it'll come to Shinra. If that thing even works out.

Disgaea budget has to be at 18 cents at this point.

I swear to God, these games look identical to each other. There is no way in hell there isn't heavy asset reuse in these games. If you told me Disgaea 5 was on PS2, I'd believe you.

This coming from a fan of Disgaea.

Same could be said for monster Hunter and they could pump 50 million into each title and walk away with massive profit.

Disgaea has to work with a 400k or so sales prediction at the high end

Chû Totoro;158396953 said:
1st week

01./00. [PS3] Dark Souls <RPG> (From Software) {2011.09.22} (¥7.800) - 279.567 / NEW <90,09%>
PS3 7.080.303 LTD
Attach Rate > 3.9%

01./00. [PS4] Bloodborne <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) - 152.567 / NEW
PS4 1.302.706
Attach Rate > 11,7%

Imo almost all Bloodborne target audience is already on PS4. Dark Souls having more sales is mostly due to the way bigger install base but core audience for the game is already here on PS4.
Maybe 300k for Bloodborne but I'm not seeing it selling a lot more?

Do I eat shit? lol

I'm trying to understand how gaming sales works because even if I come in sales thread a lot I'm clearly not able to understand and explain the numbers. Which is something I would like to try more often :)

Also digital sales.

The prevelance of digital sales now is higher than what it was 5 or so years ago.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I would imagine Lightning Returns probably still burns a lot more on that front since at least this was a port of a PSP game, but yeah, not amazing performances lately.

Maybe they should have left Lighting Returns as a Valkyrie Profile game then... (not 100% serious, but not fully joking either)

Vena

Is Nintendo dropping the 3DS? Why ain't they doing anything like money hatting some 3rd party games? This list looks mediocre.

The 3DS is 5 years old, its dropping next year. Development across the board is going to be winding down as the NX specs start to finalize and initial kits start going out.

That said... that's a fine schedule for a system in its aged days of yore and isn't just 3DS specific but an issue with the whole industry. :p

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Honestly that is a stellar release schedule.

Many of them are 250k+ sellers.

hongcha

Well technically the people who said DQH Vita would not happen were correct; a Vita port of the first game has not been announced and is not likely. DQH2 is a totally different game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The 3DS is 5 years old, its dropping next year. Development across the board is going to be winding down as the NX specs start to finalize and initial kits start going out.

That said... that's a fine schedule for a system in its aged days of yore and isn't just 3DS specific but an issue with the whole industry. :p

lol for Japan I somehow doubt that considering how many users have a 3DS here.

sense

Well technically the people who said DQH Vita would not happen were correct; a Vita port of the first game has not been announced and is not likely. DQH2 is a totally different game.

to be honest i am sure the responses would have been the same even if oregano said dqh2

cj_iwakura

Maybe they should have put it on more consoles. It couldn't have hurt.
(Type-0, that is, but Japan probably would have ignored it regardless.)

Top Bottom