• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
XB1 must be bleeding money in Japan. Every large store still has a pretty decently sized area dedicated to it, with posters and screens showing trailers. Yet it pulls low triple digits. When will MS finally decide to just pull the plug?

Q1 2015 worst first quarter ever for Nintendo ?

Q1 2015 - 765,217
Q1 2014 - 867,101
Q1 2013 - 1,580,879
Q1 2012 - 1,604,922
Q1 2011 - 1,440,644
Q1 2010 - 1,027,365

Faustek

Maybe they should have put it on more consoles. It couldn't have hurt.
(Type-0, that is, but Japan probably would have ignored it regardless.)

I wonder how many really followed that #NoVitaNoBuy thing. Doesn't feel as it could have been many. Still a shame.

XB1 must be bleeding money in Japan. Every large store still has a pretty decently sized area dedicated to it, with posters and screens showing trailers. Yet it pulls low triple digits. When will MS finally decide to just pull the plug?

This is related to something I'm really curious about. All those VNs, those are "moneyhatted" by MS Japan right? How come they can always come over so quickly to everything else if that is the case? If it's so it just feels like some sort of abusive relationship where the devs takes MS money. Makes the game for them on their dime and then port it over quicker than the Flash picks his nose.

Ace Attorney.

I'm blind...didn't even see that mentioned in the release table and I also have a bad memory forgetting it's coming. My bad on that :)
Anyway, looks like the 3DS, albeit fewer games, have many *heavy hitters*. Good for them. Actually, good for us ^^

Sage00

Once And Future Member
This is related to something I'm really curious about. All those VNs, those are "moneyhatted" by MS Japan right? How come they can always come over so quickly to everything else if that is the case? If it's so it just feels like some sort of abusive relationship where the devs takes MS money. Makes the game for them on their dime and then port it over quicker than the Flash picks his nose.
They're likely timed exclusive deals because, unlike the 360 which at least had a pulse, no one in their right mind would sign a full exclusivity contract for an XB1 game at this point.

The exclusivity window also seems to be in months rather than years. MS Japan are in no position to make demands, so they are likely taking anything they can get.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Question, what has happened to the SHMUP market since the start of the current generation? 360 had classics like Muchi Muchi Pork and others, but it seems everything dried up when IREM folded. :(

hongcha

Question, what has happened to the SHMUP market since the start of the current generation? 360 had classics like Muchi Muchi Pork and others, but it seems everything dried up when IREM folded. :(

IREM wasn't making any shmups on the 360, so I don't know why you'd think their folding caused everything to dry up. Raiden V and a few other games (by Triangle Service and Qute) are in the works for the Xbox One, but one or more will surely get ported to the PS4 just so the companies can make a yen of profit. CAVE is still technically alive but is only making mobile games at the moment, and Ubusana is in the works for the PS4 from ex-CAVE and Treasure staff.

Wynnebeck

Banned
IREM wasn't making any shmups on the 360, so I don't know why you'd think their folding caused everything to dry up. Raiden V and a few other games (by Triangle Service and Qute) are in the works for the Xbox One, but one or more will surely get ported to the PS4 just so the companies can make a yen of profit. CAVE is still technically alive but is only making mobile games at the moment, and Ubusana is in the works for the PS4 from ex-CAVE and Treasure staff.

Sorry I phrased that wrong. Not that IREM made any 360 shmups, just saying when they closed, it felt like it send a shockwave through other shmup makers, but I'm glad to hear there are some still being made.

Sorry I phrased that wrong. Not that IREM made any 360 shmups, just saying when they closed, it felt like it send a shockwave through other shmup makers, but I'm glad to hear there are some still being made.

shmups are not in a good time even into arcades; back to 2008-2011 you saw a lot of games into japanese arcade centers, now most of them have BEUs and the shmup scene is pretty dead since Cave stopped working

crinale

In other words only electrical appliance retailer behemoth like Yodobashi carry them. But yeah I agree that MS should be paying something for them to keep shelf space.
However retreating from those gigantic stores may do more harm than just dripping a few amount of money, but who knows.

Faustek

They're likely timed exclusive deals because, unlike the 360 which at least had a pulse, no one in their right mind would sign a full exclusivity contract for an XB1 game at this point.

The exclusivity window also seems to be in months rather than years. MS Japan are in no position to make demands, so they are likely taking anything they can get.

Probably yes. Still seems weird that they are going that far. Perhaps it's better to uphold a masquerade than just to drop the act and leave.

No one did.
Type-0 is already playable on the Vita. You can get it on PSN.

Now now, I mean in the west and there are always a healthy dose of those people on the PS blog still raving about that hash tag. And also, natively.

Rymuth

shmups are not in a good time even into arcades; back to 2008-2011 you saw a lot of games into japanese arcade centers, now most of them have BEUs and the shmup scene is pretty dead since Cave stopped working
Tohou will save us...

As soon as it comes to PSN

Busaiku

I don't see Bravely Second being a 250k+ title.
I mean preorders are relatively low, it doesn't seem to have the most positive reception, and blowback from the first game all seem like a losing formula.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Looks like Bloodborne didn't provide that much of a boost in console sales. At least it kept the momentum.

XB1 at 250 is just depressing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Oregano redeemed :) here is a wall of shame for some

Was a Vita port of DQH annouched and I missed it?

I m more interested to see how much PS4 fell next week. Is it going to be a free fall from
46k -> 30k -> 23k -> 15k -> 12k

or goes something reasonable numbers
46k -> 35k -> 28k -> 25k -> 22k

Wait until Golden Week and then you'll see the trend.

Oregano

Oregano redeemed :) here is a wall of shame for some

Well I wasn't quite right but then I didn't expect them to announce the sequel.

A even a broken clock is right twice a day. Esp when you see the other stuff Oregano has said in the past far from redeemed.

Wha? I try to be pretty reasonable. Now I'm trying to think of what outlandish/flat-out-wrong stuff I've said.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stella Glow and Great Ace Attorney.

Is Nintendo dropping the 3DS? Why ain't they doing anything like money hatting some 3rd party games? This list looks mediocre.

3rd parties were never particularly hot on 3DS.

Well I wasn't quite right but then I didn't expect them to announce the sequel.

Until a Vita port is announced you are completely wrong. You also expect a Hyrule Warriors port on 3DS

small44

I'm surprised that DQH2 will be release on vita i hope they will make a new Dissidia too and if other big 3rd party start making AAA games vita can be saved

I'm surprised that DQH2 will be release on vita i hope they will make a new Dissidia too and if other big 3rd party start making AAA games vita can be saved

As long as those titles are multi, I don't think so. Senran Kagura also showed how PSV userbase is quite willing to migrate elsewhere.

Dissidia doesn't look like it can run on Vita.

I suspect Vita was in DQH like how Vita is now in OPW as a way to reduce the decline. When is the DQH2 launching? Next year right?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...But 3DS lineup from now till end of June isn't scarse at all in Japan, combining first and third parties efforts.

Oregano

3rd parties were never particularly hot on 3DS.

Until a Vita port is announced you are completely wrong. You also expect a Hyrule Warriors port on 3DS

Wrong in that they skipped to the sequel instead of porting the original, right in that they(Koei) would push for a Vita version.

I also conceeded straight off the bat that DQH was more likely to happen than Hyrule Warriors 3DS because of the technical limitations.

Regarding SHUMPs, does anyone know why so many came to the 360 compared to the PS3?

I thought with a much bigger install base these companies would have made more money on PS3

May16

No one did.
Type-0 is already playable on the Vita. You can get it on PSN.

You're fooling yourself if you think no one would have bought a physical Vita version.

Heck, it probably would have outsold PS4 version, had they launched simultaneously earlier this month. (Perhaps by virtue of the PS4 version selling less rather than the PSV version selling six figures.)

Given how low digital sales are in Japan, yeah, no, the PSP version being digitally playable on a Vita would only negate a very small amount of true Vita version demand.

cafemomo

Now now, I mean in the west and there are always a healthy dose of those people on the PS blog still raving about that hash tag.

That #novitanobuy nonsense was truly embarrassing imo. If those people truly wanted the game, they would support it no matter what - even if it means playing it on the PS4.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Wrong in that they skipped to the sequel instead of porting the original, right in that they(Koei) would push for a Vita version.

I also conceeded straight off the bat that DQH was more likely to happen than Hyrule Warriors 3DS because of the technical limitations.

What do say, that if Hyrule warriors 2 is also released on 3DS you'll be right again? The original argument was if the team would dedicate resources and time (and money) to try a late port on Vita and that clearly didn't happen. DQH2 will have Vita version from the beginning meaning development will follow different path, far from the same.

noobie

Banned
Was a Vita port of DQH annouched and I missed it?

Wait until Golden Week and then you'll see the trend.

When is the Golden Week?
If i remember correctly. i rarely see Sony machines and titles getting any significant boast in golden week..

Faustek

That #novitanobuy nonsense was truly embarrassing imo. If those people truly wanted the game, they would support it no matter what - even if it means playing it on the PS4.

Heh, that one was fun and hurt at the same time. Fun in messing with them that actually stood behind it and hurt since I wanted a PSP/V version in the west. Oh well, maybe something happens with the like every 3DS dies and everything Nintendo is warped to a different dimension together with every gaming device sans the Vita and I'll get all the games on my preferred place to play. ( ´;゚;∀;゚;)

What do say, that if Hyrule warriors 2 is also released on 3DS you'll be right again? The original argument was if the team would dedicate resources and time (and money) to try a late port on Vita and that clearly didn't happen. DQH2 will have Vita version from the beginning meaning development will follow different path, far from the same.

Hmm, looks like I missed the initial discussion. Thought it was about DQH2.
My bad my bad.

Pro Baseball Spirits 2015, Gumdam Breaker 2 and SAO say no...

SAO sold less on PSV with respect to the previous entry (125k vs. 136k); OPM3 also sold less. The Konami baseball game sold a bit more, you're right. Gundam Breaker 2 is not the right example since the first one was a late port on PSV and did come out months after the PS3 release.

small44

You're fooling yourself if you think no one would have bought a physical Vita version.

Heck, it probably would have outsold PS4 version, had they launched simultaneously earlier this month. (Perhaps by virtue of the PS4 version selling less rather than the PSV version selling six figures.)

Given how low digital sales are in Japan, yeah, no, the PSP version being digitally playable on a Vita would only negate a very small amount of true Vita version demand.

Not to forget controls on psp was awfull i think many will rebuy it just because it will use 2 joystick.

Ehh I bought it in the end but honestly buying it only sends to publisher signal that we will buy it anyway so they can continue ignoring Vita.

hongcha

SAO sold less on PSV with respect to the previous entry (125k vs. 136k).

Quite a negligible difference and quite a weak argument for Vita owners jumping ship for another platform, particularly when you look at the Media Create numbers where the difference is less than 6k (145k vs. 139.3k).

Quite a negligible difference and quite a weak argument for Vita owners jumping ship for another platform, particularly when you look at the Media Create numbers where the difference is less than 6k (145k vs. 139.3k).

The point is, there is either no growth or a decline. This, in my opinion, shows that userbases are quite overlapping (it's not that reaching an assumption) so the original argumento that "PSV can be saved" doesn't make much sense in light of the fact that games are porting and PSV entries are either declining a lot (SK) or staying flat (SAO), bar some exceptions.

Sure, but not enough to maintain the declining hardware sales. The past few years were much better in terms of quantity.

The first half of the year has always been a bit scarce; last year was no different (there were less long-sellers and bigger new releases, but not by a wide margin). Declining hw sales are inevitable, but numbers are barely dropping.

I think the 3DS lineup is pretty good over the coming months? I mean, it's not filled with blockbusters but Nintendo dropped most of their bombs early on in the 3DS' life anyway.

For a system at the stage of life it's at, I think the range of title's it's getting is pretty good. Plenty of mid-tier stuff.

Lol at Fire Emblem releasing 21 days after Stella Glow though. That's pretty unfortunate.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The 3DS is 5 years old, its dropping next year. Development across the board is going to be winding down as the NX specs start to finalize and initial kits start going out.

That said... that's a fine schedule for a system in its aged days of yore and isn't just 3DS specific but an issue with the whole industry. :p

Knowing how slow Nintendo is, Project NX is only going to be talk about at the end of next year, with a release in the following year.

I have a feeling this will be a Wii-Wii U situation here, where the predecessor died too early before the successor is out.

Personally hoping for another Resident Evil 3DS game haha

Top Bottom