• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

small44

So, you're agreeing with me that as long as those games are multi with PS3/4, PSV cannot be saved, which was the original post I was replying to.

Also, PS3 and PS4 have SK-like games, but the top sellers are other games.

Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster was multi yet it boosted Vita

Oregano

I never speculated on what form the sequel would take because honestly it wasn't something worth speculating about. When moving on to a new project decisions would be made based on circumstances at that point. You asked about the possibility of a Vita port of DQH, and I explained why I think it was very unlikely.

Fair enough. It will be interesting to see what the game actually looks likes though. I am, possibly wrongly, assuming it will be a pretty standard iteration on the first game.

Darius

Banned
Not exactly a great idea to release games in the same genre aimed at a rather small niche in such short timeframe. 3 SRPGs on one system is quite dangerous for the smaller titles. It doesn´t help that Fire Emblem will be in the spotlight.

4.June Stella Glow
25.June Fire Emblem
23.July Langrisser

hongcha

Not exactly a great idea to release games in the same genre aimed at a rather small niche in such short timeframe. 3 SRPGs on one system is quite dangerous for the smaller titles. It doesn´t help that Fire Emblem will be in the spotlight.

25.June Fire Emblem
4.July Stella Glow
23.July Langrisser

Stella Glow is 4 June, not July. The Langrisser game will bomb no matter when it releases (unless it turns out to be of exceptional quality), but maybe Stella Glow will do OK because Sega is publishing and it comes out before Fire Emblem.

former date for SG was for US

SG does not have a release date for the US yet, and it certainly will not be 4 July.

Stella Glow is 4 June, not July. The Langrisser game will bomb no matter when it releases (unless it turns out to be of exceptional quality), but maybe Stella Glow will do OK because Sega is publishing and it comes out before Fire Emblem.

What would define a bomb in the Langrisser case? All "recent" releases sold less than 100k. Langrisser III porting on PS2 sold 10k units. Langrisser IV on Saturn around 85k.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Knowing how slow Nintendo is, Project NX is only going to be talk about at the end of next year, with a release in the following year.

I have a feeling this will be a Wii-Wii U situation here, where the predecessor died too early before the successor is out.

Personally hoping for another Resident Evil 3DS game haha
Unfortunately looking at Revelations 2, this is unfortunately unlikely =(. Capcom wasn't happy with the results of the 1st Revelations game on 3DS.

I really doubt the 3DS will be like the Wii in lacking games. For one, there's thankfully a good # of Japanese titles that haven't been localized/released so the West is covered there until at least next year (Fire Emblem, Youkai Watch games, Rhythm Heaven, likely Fantasy Life 2 & Layton 7, Great Ace Attorney, etc.). Also, the console is still on track to sell close to 3M in its 5th year, which is still ridiculously impressive. Any doom & gloom on the 3DS seems super premature when it has been selling basically the same as last year and this is including this week last year was the pre-tax hike boost. So the 3DS is selling similarly to last year despite last year NOT having to deal with the tax hike up until this point.

sörine

Banned
Capcom wasn't happy with the results of the 1st Revelations game on 3DS.
That's not quite true, in fact they said they called it a success. They felt it could've done a bit better which is why they did the HD port (which somehow shipped over a million despite completely tanking at retail). They were happy with Mercenaries 3D sales too.

The main reason why Revelations 2 skipped 3DS was probably because they went episodic.

Mory Dunz

Its a forum. People aren't "coming out of nowhere".

lucas-720x404.jpg

sörine;158622292 said:
That's not quite true, in fact they said they called it a success. They felt it could've done a bit better which is why they did the HD port (which somehow shipped over a million despite completely tanking at retail). They were happy with Mercenaries 3D sales too.

The main reason why Revelations 2 skipped 3DS was probably because they went episodic.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._revelations_3ds_sales_could_have_been_better

They prefaced the "success" part with "going by the 3DS market at the time we released the game", though.

It's a weird few sentences really. It's a success, but it's not as much as they'd hoped for given the development costs. Sounds like it was profitable, but not to the degree they'd envisaged.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nothing to the effect of "omg, Bloodborne bombed!"

Just that the current market is terribly weak. Just another reminder of the obvious.
Ah ok, i see. I dont think that the Bloodborne numbers shows that the market is really weak though, unless you mean the PS3 numbers for those games that were mentioned?

Oregano

langrisser looks like it was made for $15
it's going to get buried

Langrisser and Stella Glow needed to be out last year if they wanted to get the FE crowd. People are justing going to wait for the new FE now... well unless theres a backlack for the whole DLC thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;158622292 said:
Is there any hurdle for this on the 3DS? They also released a full version (retail) shortly after the first episode was released.

SMTxFE will be one of the top 15 selling Wii U games of all time.
hmm.....

current and future million sellers (10): Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, New Super Luigi U, Wii Party U, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors, (Zelda U)

titles that should crawl there eventually or are vaguely close to a million (2): Mario Party 10, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

other: Pikmin 3, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Star Fox?

going with no

LMAO

I actually think it'll sell better than XCX.

hmm...I'll think about it

Is there any hurdle for this on the 3DS? They also released a full version (retail) shortly after the first episode was released.

The reason likely lies in the fact that Capcom wanted the game on PS4/XB1 -where RE7 will be- and a 3DS/PS4 game would have looked to awful for the Western audience.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._revelations_3ds_sales_could_have_been_better

They prefaced the "success" part with "going by the 3DS market at the time we released the game", though.

It's a weird few sentences really. It's a success, but it's not as much as they'd hoped for given the development costs. Sounds like it was profitable, but not to the degree they'd envisaged.

Sure, but then you have the HD porting not selling much better on 4 platforms, and Revelations 2 likely not selling much better as well (though with the digital release it'd be difficult to assess its performance).

FluxWaveZ

hmm.....

current and future million sellers (10): Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, New Super Luigi U, Wii Party U, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors, (Zelda U)

titles that should crawl there eventually or are vaguely close to a million (2): Mario Party 10, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

other: Pikmin 3, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Star Fox?

going with no

Um... are we not talking about Japan?

the console is still on track to sell close to 3M in its 5th year, which is still ridiculously impressive. Any doom & gloom on the 3DS seems super premature when it has been selling basically the same as last year and this is including this week last year was the pre-tax hike boost. So the 3DS is selling similarly to last year despite last year NOT having to deal with the tax hike up until this point.

they need a price drop to sell like last year, remember the n3DS saved 2014 sales but its effect lasted just a couple of weeks.
and now with 4 different models on the market (3DS, 3DS LL, n3DS and n3DS LL) is selling less than a dead system like PSV
lack of games? maybe, but the system is already at saturated point, can't imagine AC or YW3 moving so much hw cause most of that userbase already bought the handheld
it's not "doom & gloom" cause numbers are in evidence, Q1 2015 wa pathetic if we consider the top seller 3DS game in the first 3 months of the year is a porting of a 1999 game; it's not selling like last year cause last year it was just 3DS, this year is 3DS + n3DS but numbers are similar or lower, in March never reached 30k or more weekly, something that happened in May 2011 for the last time

Darius

Banned
they need a price drop to sell like last year, remember the n3DS saved 2014 sales but its effect lasted just a couple of weeks.
and now with 4 different models on the market (3DS, 3DS LL, n3DS and n3DS LL) is selling less than a dead system like PSV
lack of games? maybe, but the system is already at saturated point, can't imagine AC or YW3 moving so much hw cause most of that userbase already bought the handheld
it's not "doom & gloom" cause numbers are in evidence, Q1 2015 wa pathetic if we consider the top seller 3DS game in the first 3 months of the year is a porting of a 1999 game; it's not selling like last year cause last year it was just 3DS, this year is 3DS + n3DS but numbers are similar or lower, in March never reached 30k or more weekly, something that happened in May 2011 for the last time

What´s the problem with Majoras Mask? It is going to approach +450k units including digital sales and is still selling, it´s not a million-seller but to put it in perspective that would be more than any PSV and PS4 title so far, also your PSV comparison in general is ignoring the actual situation.

year to date MC:
3DS| 621.516
PSV| 298.025

ltd MC:
3DS| 18.459.961
PSV| 3.821.952

this week (MC) (last week in March)

Media Create
3DS| 31.229 >30k
PSV| 27.032

Dengeki
3DS| 31.232 >30k
Vita | 29.198

Famitsu
3DS| 25.728
PSV| 28.896

I don't ignored any situation my dear
I always used and I will always use Famitsu numbers when I'm talking about data, don't like to mix apples with oranges so when I post some numbers they always come from Famitsu

second, 3DS is selling more software than PS4 and PSV combined?
woah that's a surprise! how possible a 18mln platform (Famitsu numbers) is selling more sw than a couple of platforms with around 5mln userbase? that's incredibile!

Quoting Majora, a 1999 porting as best seller title, was to explain how poor has been 3DS lineup in Q1 2015, nothing more nothing less

Every first quarter is the same.

Are you guys not used to it yet?

Theatrhythm Dragon Quest is already 34% off on Amazon Japan. PS4 version of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is 52% off.
Third-party seller.

Amazon has DQ at 18% off (the usual discount), and FF at 41% off.

KoopaTheCasual

Ah ok, i see. I dont think that the Bloodborne numbers shows that the market is really weak though, unless you mean the PS3 numbers for those games that were mentioned?
Yea, just the contrast of times, sorry if it came off some other way. Bloodborne was even reported to significantly push hardware and do so much for the PS4. I know it's not healthy to keep looking back at "better times" but sometimes I can't help but look back 10 years ago, when things were rosier.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
And that day, we'll all celebrate because it sold 50,000 LTD.
15 WIU New Super Luigi U 27,312 100,231 Nintendo 2013-07-13

It's not THAT bad.... Mario Party 10 will also likely beat this at its current pace bumping up the limit a slight amount.

Btw, seems like Mario Party 10 is holding decently? Sure nothing else is selling, but it's (easily) outpacing most non-holiday Wii U titles.

MC:
16./09. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616) - 17.433 / 89.078 (-19%)

Famitsu:
15./08. [WIU] Mario Party 10 # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.03.12} (¥5.616) - 18.002 / 93.708 <60-80%> (-26%)

Road

So, DQH2 is real. Square Enix gonna Square Enix with stupidly early announcement, affecting the legs of the first game in Japan and overall sales of it in the West, while undermining their very own effort towards making people adopt the PS4.

Not even Level 5 is this desperate to milk their latest success.

hongcha

langrisser looks like it was made for $15
it's going to get buried

I quite like the look of the game actually, I think it looks a lot like a Super Famicom game, which is rare these days. I mean, they could have done some hideous low budget 3D graphics, but they didn't. Anyway, if it is competently made, it could be a lot of fun. Still wavering in whether or not to preorder it... I have to see a bit more before I decide.

But yeah, I agree it's most likely not going to sell well, like most other low budget JRPGs on the 3DS (e.g. Metal Max 4, Exstetra, Lost Heroes 2, Kinki no Maguna, Seisou no Amazones, Conception II, Hero Bank, UnchainBlades, etc).

I already have Stella Glow preordered, though. Can't wait for that one, it looks stellar!

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-Through {2015.04.02}

[PS3] [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) - 50-60% both versions sold almost the same amount of copies, PS3 slightly above

[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D <RPG> (Nintendo) - 40% he heard that the shipment is above 100k

[PS4] Earth Defense Force 2025.1: The Shadow of New Despair <ACT> (D3 Publisher) - more than 50% selling just normal

[3DS] [WIU] Rodea the Sky Soldier <ACT> (Kadokawa Games) - 20% both versions at the same level, the shipment is not big

Xenus

[PS3] [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) - 50-60% both versions sold almost the same amount of copies, PS3 slightly above

[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D <RPG> (Nintendo) - 40% he heard that the shipment is above 100k

[PS4] Earth Defense Force 2025.1: The Shadow of New Despair <ACT> (D3 Publisher) - more than 50% selling just normal

[3DS] [WIU] Rodea the Sky Soldier <ACT> (Kadokawa Games) - 20% both versions at the same level, the shipment is not big

Xenoblade numbers are mehish depending on how much above 100k. Rodea sounds not good though

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Except when everybody ruled it out they did so on the basis of SE not supporting Vita and not on the basis of it being a late port(otherwise your comment about them not bothering with Type 0 wouldn't make sense). Duckroll was the only person who mentioned them preferring to do the sequel and I never got the impression that he thought a Vita version was a possibility, he can correct me if I'm wrong.

How is Square not supporting Vita when SaGa comes exclusive for it. My comment makes perfect sense for the same reason I gave before.

Shortages for BB confirmed by Dengeki then. 90% sellthrough means they only shipped like 160-170k...

90% isn't sell-out. Media Create has it at 87,06%

That looks a high shipment for a n3DS exclusive port.

Shizuka

I heard that the 3DS demo was a technical mess, barely playable. That can't have helped the game.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
People laughing at Disagea numbers yet Kagero did 5k. True, it was a re-release but I don't think SSD or Toukiden Kiwami did this poorly.

Faustek

So, DQH2 is real. Square Enix gonna Square Enix with stupidly early announcement, affecting the legs of the first game in Japan and overall sales of it in the West, while undermining their very own effort towards making people adopt the PS4.

Not even Level 5 is this desperate to milk their latest success.

How come? How will they cut the first games sales by announcing a sequel? Specially on the first Of April which is usually the day we have gotten many announcements from Japan as they start their new year.

As for Langrisser, I don't think anyone is expecting it to sell well. It just needs to sell within the publishers expectations.

But yeah, I agree it's most likely not going to sell well, like most other low budget JRPGs on the 3DS (e.g. Metal Max 4, Exstetra, Lost Heroes 2, Kinki no Maguna, Seisou no Amazones, Conception II, Hero Bank, UnchainBlades, etc).

Luckily, many other low-budget jRPGs sold really well: Culdcept, The Legend of Legacy, Medarot 7, Devil Survivor 2.

New 3DS effect is lasting until now; without these versions, 3DS would have sold much worse. New 3DS is what is helping 3DS to sell almost on par with last year. Also, it's disingenuous to say that it's selling than a dead system like PSV, because it only happened one week, where the latter had many releases. The fact is, a platform getting some games and with just 3.5m units in the market should sell better than a saturated one on a weekly basis; this shows how PSV is not healthy at all if people are even surprised that with some software is selling slightly more (according to one tracker out of three) than a platform that already has 18m+ units in the market.

3DS doesn't have to sell more than last year; it won't. It'll stay flat or barely decrease and that will done the work; it's a platform in its 5th year that sold 5m during the first three years (only DS had beaten that); if this year it will sell 2.5m it'll be perfectly ok.

Software, on the other hand, is doing pretty good. I don't get why Zelda should be stressed as a "1999 porting" (it's not: it's a remake of a 2000 game, btw), but the point is, 3DS has much more leftovers from holidays with respect to last year: SSB, YW, MH4G, PKMN (the former tow were released later so they have more steam this year). Also, 3DS is having on average, from 10 to 15 games in the rankings on a weekly basis, so I don't understand your worries.

Top Bottom