• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

extralite

I heard that the 3DS demo was a technical mess, barely playable. That can't have helped the game.

What? The frame rate could be better but it is solid, the 3D is unimpressive except in cut scenes which unfortunately makes it unnecessary, gameplay is good but not great. Going by the demo, it's an above average game with solid technical performance. I'd hardly call it a technical mess and it definitely is playable.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What´s the problem with Majoras Mask? It is going to approach +450k units including digital sales and is still selling, it´s not a million-seller but to put it in perspective that would be more than any PSV and PS4 title so far, also your PSV comparison in general is ignoring the actual situation.

year to date MC:
3DS| 621.516
PSV| 298.025

ltd MC:
3DS| 18.459.961
PSV| 3.821.952

this week (MC) (last week in March)

Media Create
3DS| 31.229 >30k
PSV| 27.032

Dengeki
3DS| 31.232 >30k
Vita | 29.198

Famitsu
3DS| 25.728
PSV| 28.896

Those MC /Famitsu discrepancies XD

If Xenoblade 3D really sold around 40,000 copies on the first day, that would be a good debut, after all.

Xenoblade 3D was never meant to be big. To me, it seems only a promotional material for the Wii U entry, and for New 3DS power. Of course, it's an achievement, but if it's going to sell 70-80k when it's all said and done, I'd it succeeded.

Darius

Banned
I don't ignored any situation my dear
I always used and I will always use Famitsu numbers when I'm talking about data, don't like to mix apples with oranges so when I post some numbers they always come from Famitsu

second, 3DS is selling more software than PS4 and PSV combined?
woah that's a surprise! how possible a 18mln platform (Famitsu numbers) is selling more sw than a couple of platforms with around 5mln userbase? that's incredibile!

Quoting Majora, a 1999 porting as best seller title, was to explain how poor has been 3DS lineup in Q1 2015, nothing more nothing less

2 out of 3 trackers show it sold over 30k in a single week in March you can have your preferences in trackers, but in the respective post you made a general statement with no reference and frankly I see no reason to make such bold statements and completely ignoring the data from other trackers just to make a complacent point. Anyway this arbitrary threshhold isn´t of any significance.

Overall 3DS kept up quite well compared to last year so far, which is shown by its current year to date sales of over 600k units and the year on year comparison. Which is quite good for its 5th year and for a more or less saturated market, considering it´s heading towards 20m this year.

Your comment about Majoras Mask makes no sense to me, what does it matter that it´s a remake, when it comes to beeing a top-seller? While it surely is no million-seller or DQMonsters it still sold very well by any reasonable metric. It is the second best selling SKU this year so far and again starting to outpace the PS3 version of DQH in this weeks sales. Sure there are more successful IPs but you simply can´t churn out a million-seller one after another.

About 1Q lineup, the past years make clear that it isn´t seen as a priority by Nintendo and it obviously affects hardware sales negatively. I think that´s also one of the reasons why Sony and publishers on Sony systems double down to release their software in this timeframe. But it also is always funny to see some come to the same conclusion year after year, it was just last year when PSV was supposed to outsell the 3DS in yearly sales due to sales from this very focus on the 1st half of the year.

Yeah, I remember reading some debate about how the 3DS would fall in 2014 because of no games; then YW, MH4G, PKMN ORAS and N3DS happened.

Type-0 did worse than expected in the end. Huge drop off too. FFXV demo not strong enough.

Utterly disappointing.

I thought it was absolutely amazing and far beyond what I expected for a PSP title. Atones for me trying to play the Lightning Saga.
Had a brand-positive effect on me.

extralite

Utterly disappointing.

I thought it was absolutely amazing and far beyond what I expected for a PSP title. Atones for me trying to play the Lightning Saga.
Had a brand-positive effect on me.

For you, Type-0 was a new game. But Japanese players already played it. They won't buy an expensive console for a game they beat years ago.

crinale

For you, Type-0 was a new game. But Japanese players already played it. They won't buy an expensive console for a game they beat years ago.

Removing multiplayer didn't help either, which was one of the features PSP users bought the game for (I know it wasn't that fancy after all but still).

duckroll

Removing multiplayer didn't help either, which was one of the features PSP users bought the game for (I know it wasn't that fancy after all but still).

I don't think that made any difference at all. If they revamped the entire multiplayer mode, it might have helped, but as it is, removing it or leaving it would likely had zero practical impact on the sales. For the Japanese market what the game probably needed was substantial new content. It lacked that. If it at least had as much new content as a KH Final Mix game, it would probably have been able to sell more.

crinale

Wait, Type-0 has multiplayer? How does it works?
PSP version did have one. Like duckroll said it wasn't that fancy that they'd need better implementation anyway so you aren't missing much.

I don't think that made any difference at all. If they revamped the entire multiplayer mode, it might have helped, but as it is, removing it or leaving it would likely had zero practical impact on the sales. For the Japanese market what the game probably needed was substantial new content. It lacked that. If it at least had as much new content as a KH Final Mix game, it would probably have been able to sell more.

Fair enough. But after all we all can guess SE wanted a small amount of money with minimal effort, rather than take risks and shoot for bigger profit..
:(

Yeah, I remember reading some debate about how the 3DS would fall in 2014 because of no games; then YW, MH4G, PKMN ORAS and N3DS happened.

it sold more than 2013 ?

no, despite two brand new models, despite YW huge success, despite another Pokemon, despite another MH

so that debate was not completely wrong :)

it sold more than 2013 ?

no, despite two brand new models, despite YW huge success, despite another Pokemon, despite another MH

The debate was about a +50% drop and a PSV overcome in terms of YTD. Instead, the drop was less sever (around 35%) and it set new records in terms of sw sales (5 multi-million sellers in the span of 6 months) no one would have ever predicted. 3DS was by far the best-selling hw last year, with by far the highest sw sales.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
it sold more than 2013 ?

Dude, now your just being pedantic you know exactly what he meant. 3DS sales had already peaked before 2013

Dude, now your just being pedantic you know exactly what he meant. 3DS sales had already peaked before 2013

the discussion was about 3DS keeping sales as last year, me and ZSaberLink, and I said that 3DS keeping sales as last year needs a price cuts
it's just one or two pages before ;)

Takao

Banned
Add another one to the 3DS June-July graveyard: New Atelier Roronoa dated for June 4th. Not as bad as the last release date, but let's face it, this wasn't going to sell well no matter the date.

Langrisser and Stella Glow needed to be out last year if they wanted to get the FE crowd. People are justing going to wait for the new FE now... well unless theres a backlack for the whole DLC thing.

I think Stella Glow will do okay. The game looks solid enough.

People laughing at Disagea numbers yet Kagero did 5k. True, it was a re-release but I don't think SSD or Toukiden Kiwami did this poorly.

That's a really strange comparison. Deception IV isn't a hunting game like Soul Sacrifice or Toukiden. It's also a significantly less popular game than either of those. The first Deception IV only did 42k across PS3 and Vita in its FW.

Luckily, many other low-budget jRPGs sold really well: Culdcept, The Legend of Legacy, Medarot 7, Devil Survivor 2.

Culdcept is more TCG than RPG. Using Medarot 7 as an example ignores that every successive Medarot game flopped on 3DS.

Darius

Banned
The performance of Type0 HD is mainly the result of the following developments.

1. Significant decline in popularity of PS consoles in the past and current generation in Japan.
2. FF craze slowed down for several reasons including point 1 but mainly the direction the series was taken and the oversaturation of often mediocre spin-off titles.

While in the past even spin-offs managed to sell great at retail, sometimes even top the million seller bar like FFTactics, nowadays it´s gotten way harder. The last million-seller in Japan was FF13. While the last non new entry of the mainline series to make it past the million mark at retail was the low-budget remake of Final Fantasy 3. Neither Crisis Core, Type0 nor the Dissidia games managed to do that. There is a chance of further decline of the series in Japan, of course the mainline series will be less affected than spin-off titles and still sell well and possibly a million-seller, but there aren´t many things hinting at stopping a further decline even for the mainline series (FF13).

Add another one to the 3DS June-July graveyard: New Atelier Roronoa dated for June 4th. Not as bad as the last release date, but let's face it, this wasn't going to sell well no matter the date.

I wonder what would define a bomb here, since the recent handheld release was not even able to crack the 20k mark, Atelier Rorona Plus sold less than 20k on both PS3 and PSV and the fanbase is completely elsewhere. Well, at least the game did show up in COMGnet preorders.

Culdcept is more TCG than RPG. Using Medarot 7 as an example ignores that every successive Medarot game flopped on 3DS.

Well, Medarot 7 succeeded, and I guess Dual didn't do so badly since they released another entry a year later. Medarot 8 sold more than Dual, after all.

2 out of 3 trackers show it sold over 30k in a single week in March you can have your preferences in trackers, but in the respective post you made a general statement with no reference and frankly I see no reason to make such bold statements and completely ignoring the data from other trackers just to make a complacent point. Anyway this arbitrary threshhold isn´t of any significance.

I use Famitsu numbers not for complacent point.

Tell me M-C data before 2000 ?

Or a Dengeki chart around 2007 ?

We have Famitsu data from 1997 to 2015, as any other tracker can't provide.

Some years ago while I was running Japan Game Charts we also had weekly sales for weeks during 1997-1999 years (now maybe that site is down), so I always refert to those data cause they cover the longest period, not cause I like them, period.

If I had wrote "35k" instead "30k" and the other trackers confirmed my stamement, something was different regarding what I was talking about ?
Or from now every time we want to talk about some data we have to post numbers from 3 different trackers ?

Anyway, starting from now I will always explain I am using a particular tracker to prevent discussion like this.

HGH

Banned
What's the status/expectation on games released in April like? Other than on the 5th, is there really nothing else coming out until the 20th to 24th?

First time I'm hearing of this 3DS graveyard. What is happening in June-July?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
the discussion was about 3DS keeping sales as last year, me and ZSaberLink, and I said that 3DS keeping sales as last year needs a price cuts
it's just one or two pages before ;)

No it wasn't you could tell that particular part wasn't because your were talking about the drop of 2014-2013, which was a lot smaller than was expected but you were still talking as if any drop at all shouldn't have happened despite how long the 3DS has been on on the market, which is why I called you pedantic, you were construing an argument out of something most people following already knew as if it was some sort of counter. Anyone that honestly believed 3DS last year would outsell 2013, clearly weren't paying attention to MC threads at all, so why are you even bringing it up?

Oregano

I think Stella Glow will do okay. The game looks solid enough.

It does look notably high budget/quality for a 3DS game. I imagine that's why Sega was willing to pick it up.

I have to wonder what happens if it does well enough to mandate a sequel. It probably won't though.

Takao

Banned
I wonder what would define a bomb here, since the recent handheld release was not even able to crack the 20k mark, Atelier Rorona Plus sold less than 20k on both PS3 and PSV and the fanbase is completely elsewhere. Well, at least the game did show up in COMGnet preorders.

As I don't know the budget for the 3DS demake, I can't say what would denote a bomb. The Vita ports were probably cheaper to make, though.

It likely showed up on COMG preorders because the delay was super last minute. It was supposed to be out last week.

Well, Medarot 7 succeeded, and I guess Dual didn't do so badly since they released another entry a year later. Medarot 8 sold more than Dual, after all.

No, Dual did that poorly:
- First week was 19,839 with a sell-through between 20-40%. That means a shipment of 50-100k.
- As of last May, Famitsu reports 48k sold to consumers.
- Sinobi said Rocket's goal was 140k.

Medarot 8 was probably given the okay for release because Dual was a spinoff. 8 is the second worst selling mainline Medarot game.

crinale

How Stella Glow would perform will be dependent on how much SEGA promotes it, and more importantly, how many copies retailers order.

test_account

XP-39C²
The reason likely lies in the fact that Capcom wanted the game on PS4/XB1 -where RE7 will be- and a 3DS/PS4 game would have looked to awful for the Western audience.
Yeah, it would probably take too much work to make a 3DS version, so they didnt think it was worth it.

Yea, just the contrast of times, sorry if it came off some other way. Bloodborne was even reported to significantly push hardware and do so much for the PS4. I know it's not healthy to keep looking back at "better times" but sometimes I can't help but look back 10 years ago, when things were rosier.
I actually think that the comparison being made earlier isnt really that different from Bloodborne. The numbers are in relatively the same ballpark, and how popular the IPs are will also affect sales. But yeah, dedicated hardware sales in Japan have definitelly went a lot down in total. Its still a fairly big market though, at least.

No it wasn't you could tell that particular part wasn't because your were talking about the drop of 2014-2013, which was a lot smaller than was expected but you were still talking as if any drop at all shouldn't have happened despite how long the 3DS has been on on the market, which is why I called you pedantic, you were construing an argument out of something most people following already knew as if it was some sort of counter. Anyone that honestly believed 3DS last year would outsell 2013, clearly weren't paying attention to MC threads at all, so why are you even bringing it up?

ok, so you are right and I am pedantic, period.
thanks

As I don't know the budget for the 3DS demake, I can't say what would denote a bomb. The Vita ports were probably cheaper to make, though.

It likely showed up on COMG preorders because the delay was super last minute. It was supposed to be out last week.

PSV ports were cheap, sure, but what about Rorona+? Was KT really happy about that result? Who knows; I hardly believe they're expecting much more from a 3DS demake.

No, Dual did that poorly:
- First week was 19,839 with a sell-through between 20-40%. That means a shipment of 50-100k.
- As of last May, Famitsu reports 48k sold to consumers.
- Sinobi said Rocket's goal was 140k.

Medarot 8 was probably given the okay for release because Dual was a spinoff. 8 is the second worst selling mainline Medarot game.

Very unfortunate that Japan rejected the Medarot IP, then. We will hardly see a new entry in this series.

crinale

Why would the game's quality not matter?

Well I sure wish it does a lot, but to have decent sales games must be shipped at the first place. And in order to get decent shipment retailers must order them (and that's why retailers get to know how games would be promoted before ordering, via meetings).

That being said of course there's a chance the good word of mouth would give game some legs. However that affects how sequels perform a bit more than current one, IMHO.

Has anybody seen hiska-kun? He usually gives us the "This week's releases"

I haven't seen him around in this weeks Media Create.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./01. [PS4] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.03.19} (¥7.344)
22./07. [PS3] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.03.19} (¥7.884)
23./16. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937)
24./15. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.02.14} (¥5.076)
25./04. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.03.19} (¥5.389)
26./20. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616)
27./12. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.02.26} (¥7.344)
28./13. [PS4] Yakuza 0 <ADV> (Sega) {2015.03.12} (¥8.845)
29./28. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Atlus) {2015.03.05} (¥7.538)
30./23. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156)
31./25. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
32./00. [PSV] Deception IV: Another Princess # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.03.26} (¥6.264)
33./22. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264)
34./24. [3DS] LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.03.05} (¥5.076)
35./18. [3DS] Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars <PZL> (Nintendo) {2015.03.19} (¥3.024)
36./17. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.02.26} (¥8.424)
37./00. [PS4] Deception IV: Another Princess # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.03.26} (¥7.344)
38./36. [3DS] Nanatsu no Taizai: The Seven Deadly Sins - Unjust Sin <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.11} (¥6.145)
39./21. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.19} (¥6.145)
40./27. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776)
41./10. [3DS] PriPara & Pretty Rhythm: PriPara Detsuka Eruoshare Item 1450! <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2015.03.19} (¥4.299)
42./31. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937)
43./00. [3DS] Nashi-jiru Busha!! Funassyi Vs. Dragons <RPG> (Rocket Company) {2015.03.26} (¥5.184)
44./32. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
45./00. [PSV] Friend to Lover # <ADV> (Kaga Create) {2015.03.26} (¥7.344)
46./29. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita no Uchuu Eiyuuki <ADV> (FuRyu) {2015.03.05} (¥5.378)
47./00. [PS3] Deception IV: Another Princess # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.03.26} (¥7.344)
48./00. [PSV] Ken ga Kimi for V # <ADV> (Rejet) {2015.03.26} (¥6.264)
49./38. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
50./08. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 3: Deluxe Package <RPG> (Sega) {2015.03.19} (¥5.378)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PSV - 11
PS4 - 10
PS3 - 8
WIU - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  1.285.000 |    756.000 |  1.005.000 |  9.522.000 | 11.741.000 |

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2015.04.09}

[3DS] Raishi <SLG> (Klon) (¥6.264)

[PSV] Xblaze Lost: Memories <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Hyakka Ryouran Elixir: Record of Torenia Revival <ADV> (Kaga Create) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Hyakka Ryouran Elixir: Record of Torenia Revival <ADV> (Kaga Create) (¥9.504)

[PS4] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software) (¥5.962)

[XB1] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software) (¥5.962)

[PS3] Xblaze Lost: Memories <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥6.264)

those XBO numbers are pitiful but 50k LTD isn't so bad.

Kinda sad since I really enjoyed the few JRPGs I got on 360, I'd even go so far as to say that Lost Odyssey was one of the best JRPGs last gen and definitely my favourite.

Nyoro SF

Kinda sad since I really enjoyed the few JRPGs I got on 360, I'd even go so far as to say that Lost Odyssey was one of the best JRPGs last gen and definitely my favourite.

50k LTD is catastrophic
I understand how you feel about JRPGs on 360 but those days are long over, best to just try to stick to the one platform that will always have them from now on.

50k LTD is beyond bad.

They released in September and it sold half of that 50k at launch. So yeah, its like 25k in what, 7 months? Which would be about 3.5k units a MONTH.

Top Bottom