• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksamedi

rockman zx said:
OMG, awesome.

8-bit style at HD could be glorious, I hope they release it on the Xbox live and PSN.

I wonder how one can be 8 bit style and HD at the same time. Kind of defeats the purpose of being 8 bit style.

Link Man

Banned
Teknoman said:
Upper limits of 8-bit tech? Maybe this wont be so bad graphically after all. When pushed, 8-bit can still look decent.

lol everyone's gonna have old school Megaman+Robot Master avatars now.
I see you haven't converted yet.

Then again, it's NES-era art, so you get a pass.

dkeane

I hope the downloadable content is full levels, they could just keep expanding the game. Article says 20 people are working on it.

Teknoman

RyanDG said:
Nintendo - for the love of god... Do this to Zelda. Give us a new Zelda adventure with the 8bit sprites and the same open world style as the original. This could be epic if you let it be.

Thats probably not gonna happen :lol

That would be like making Metroid Dread 8 bit. Some series, people arent going to go for that.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
RyanDG said:
Nintendo - for the love of god... Do this to Zelda. Give us a new Zelda adventure with the 8bit sprites and the same open world style as the original. This could be epic if you let it be.

Fuck the original

Give us another ZELDA 2!!

Back on topic:

Love the 8-bit look of the game, I hope it turns out great.

RyanDG

Teknoman said:
Thats probably not gonna happen :lol

That would be like making Metroid Dread 8 bit. Some series, people arent going to go for that.

It's not my fault other people don't know what's best for them. :D

rhino4evr

rockman zx said:
OMG, awesome.

8-bit style at HD could be glorious, I hope they release it on the Xbox live and PSN.

I don't see why they couldn't release this for PSN/XBA, but for some reason I don't think they will. Why would NP have an exclusive if this was a multi-console project?

lyre said:
hmmm...it still seems a bit larger, like powered up(that jumping pose is certified classic stuff). Wonder what the pricing will be on this gem...not that it matters, because a 5000 point price tag would be fine, as long as we've been waiting.

Teknoman

LinkAMN said:
I see you haven't converted yet.

Then again, it's NES-era art, so you get a pass.

:lol I still like the character designs and style of Megaman 1-5 (not so much 6, though Tomahawk man and Knight man are cool) Its just I wish they could've made some more graphic intensive areas, but still be 8-bit.

Link Man

Banned
Baiano19 said:
O_O

!
!
!

2ynq6hc.gif
Best gif ever.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thats cool, thanks for the confirmation! :) I think its abit of pity that Mega Man 9 wont come out (it doesnt look like it atleast?) on a physical media, like for the DS or PSP (i think a NES and/or SNES version would be the coolest, but the chances for that to happend are very very small unfortunately :(). I would love to have a physical copy of Mega Man 9 so i could add it to my collection :) But a download-able only version is cleary alot better than nothing. I'm looking forward to Mega Man 9 regardless! :)

lopaz

Banned
I wonder if they'll give him say, dashing and wall-grabbing. I never liked those old ones where it was just jump and shoot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A Wii game, huh? Disappointing. As a classic style game, it is unlikely to put any of the special abilities of the Wii to use and therefore would simply be suited better to the likes of PS3 or 360. The Wii basically does nothing for the game, as far as I'm concerned.

Still, it should look decent (the PSP games were excellent looking) and I will certainly buy it.

After seeing Bionic Commando Rearmed on the PS3/360/PC, this is a bit disappointing.

jibblypop

Banned
YES! this looks awesome! I've always loved the old NES megaman games. I remember beating 1-6 in a row a couple years ago. What a great series.

dark10x said:
A Wii game, huh? Disappointing. As a classic style game, it is unlikely to put any of the special abilities of the Wii to use and therefore would simply be suited better to the likes of PS3 or 360. The Wii basically does nothing for the game, as far as I'm concerned.

Still, it should look decent (the PSP games were excellent looking) and I will certainly buy it.
And the PS3/360 would do what exactly to its 8-bit'ness?

Rockman 9 will feature a retro 8-bit art style, a homage to the earlier games.

-Two playable characters: Rockman and Blues (ProtoMan). Each has their own unique storylines.

- A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.

-Many new characters, new Robot Masters and maybe some new supporting characters.

-Gameplay is reminiscent of Rockman 3-6.

-Online components: Leader boards and some unknown form of online play

-RM9 will be on all major home consoles: Wii, X360 and PS3. X360 and PS3 users will be able to purchase the game from their respective download services. It's unknown how the Wii version will work, whether it will be a downloaded game or not.

This same guy also posted something else today regarding Megaman 9's plot:

"Robots have expiring dates."

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/

That was a rumor from several days ago, I think. It was right, so it'll probably be multiplatform.

Weisheit

Teknoman said:
Well it did say Inafune said "Lets make a NES game" so this really could be Wiiware exclusive. Also cutscenes.
He's asked about the pressure of making a new MM game and says in part that he's "excited to be making an NES game again", I dont think he'd refer to it as an NES game if it weren't exclusive.....or maybe I'm reading to much into it.

lopaz

Banned
Dark Octave said:
What's wrong with the basics?

He has a slide too.

Well I started with the X series so going back seemed like something was missing. Megaman and Bass if I remember did have those abilities, and I really liked it.

dark10x

Link648099 said:
And the PS3/360 would do what exactly to its 8-bit'ness?
Actually, I just read the OP and some of the first page. I only just now saw what they are trying to do.

Hmm, I suppose it really doesn't matter. Of course, those 8-bit style pixels would still fare better on the HD systems as they could really make some sharp looking pixel art at 1080p. 480p is just flat out blurry in comparison so you'll end up with blurry pixels.

Still, it sounds cooler than I thought. Doesn't mean the Wii makes any more sense, though.

Teknoman

lopaz said:
I wonder if they'll give him say, dashing and wall-grabbing. I never liked those old ones where it was just jump and shoot.

The old ones had Mega Buster and Sliding too. Which worked fine for classic Megaman (even in 8 / Megaman & Bass). Also Rush will still be in the game...dunno if he'll transform though.

Keep in mind the story STILL takes place after Megaman 8, so expect some 8-bit Bass and Treble action :D

Oh and 8-bit cutscenes can still be cool

Megaman 4's great intro cutscene

Imagine what kinda stuff can be done when you work in 8-bit style but dont have to actually worry about the 8-bit system's power limitations.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
test_account said:
Thats cool, thanks for the confirmation! :) I think its abit of pity that Mega Man 9 wont come out (it doesnt look like it atleast?) on a physical media, like for the DS or PSP. I would love to have a physical copy of Mega Man 9 so i could add it to my collection :) But a download-able only version is cleary alot better than nothing. I'm looking forward to Mega Man 9 regardless! :)

I'd rather any 2D game go to handheld save for something like Toki Tori. If a handheld version gets amde, I'm getting that over the DL versions.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
dark10x said:

After seeing Bionic Commando Rearmed on the PS3/360/PC, this is a bit disappointing.

gtfo

dark10x said:
Actually, I just read the OP and some of the first page. I only just now saw what they are trying to do.

Hmm, I suppose it really doesn't matter. Of course, those 8-bit style pixels would still fare better on the HD systems as they could really make some sharp looking pixel art at 1080p. 480p is just flat out blurry in comparison so you'll end up with blurry pixels.

Still, it sounds cooler than I thought. Doesn't mean the Wii makes any more sense, though.

True, it doesn't. Still, it sounds exclusive for some reason. Maybe they are trying to brand it with the NES hardcore gamers or something?

Owensboro

Oh man, that's freaking awesome. If enough people buy this, could another precident be set? Would we see more old-school Castlevanias? Contras? Another StarTropics?!? Please god, someone make it so....

hclflow

dark10x said:

Oh god do you actually have a point or are you just shitting out whatever random thoughts you have in an attempt to sound relevant?

480P pixel art is BLURRY? Wowowow.

Teknoman

Also i expect a big IX in the title screen with an iconic reference to the story on the bottom right side of the screen.

ElFly

thetrin said:
Wait, the sprites are 8 bit or 16 bit? After Mega Man 8, why would they go back to NES sprites? That makes zero sense.

Man, I wish they went back to 8bit sprites. they had more charm than all the megaman games that came afterwards

I doubt it will happen. At least I hope Megaman is not a big big sprite/3D model like in 7/8

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dark10x said:

Wii makes sense because MM has always been mainly a character that lived on Nintendo systems, especially the 2D ones. I think they are just going where the fanbase will likely be.

And what makes you think they want to spend money on 1080 HD assets? When has MM gotten a budget that can deliver that?

Teknoman

shidoshi said:

Not so fast.

MM7 and X1-3 looked great

ElFly said:
Man, I wish they went back to 8bit sprites. they had more charm than all the megaman games that came afterwards

I doubt it will happen. At least I hope Megaman is not a big big sprite/3D model like in 7/8

It is NES style.

hclflow

ElFly said:

They ARE using 8-bit style art.

dark10x

hclflow said:
Oh god do you actually have a point or are you just shitting out whatever random thoughts you have in an attempt to sound relevant?

480P pixel art is BLURRY? Wowowow.
Just expressing mixed disappointment and excitement. Is that not allowed now?

Oh and, yes, 480p is blurry on all flat panels. If you are using a CRT and can natively run the game at its intended resolution, however, it should look pretty classic.

lopaz

Banned
Teknoman said:
The old ones had Mega Buster and Sliding too. Which worked fine for classic Megaman (even in 8 / Megaman & Bass). Also Rush will still be in the game...dunno if he'll transform though.

Keep in mind the story STILL takes place after Megaman 8, so expect some 8-bit Bass and Treble action :D

Oh and 8-bit cutscenes can still be cool

Megaman 4's great intro cutscene

Imagine what kinda stuff can be done when you work in 8-bit style but dont have to actually worry about the 8-bit system's power limitations.

Yes please! :D

KingJ2002

definitely picking this up when it releases on wiiware.

but imo... i dont think this game will sell on xbla... the core mega man fanbase has always been with nintendo systems, and considering it's "NES Style" it makes sense to just keep it as a wiiware title. I know sony also got alot of mega man games but i dont think this game will fit in with sony's psn catalog... it would make more sense to see a MM Powered Up HD or a MMX Maverick Hunter for xbla / psn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom