• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
How about we wait until we see if its multi platform before starting all this?

As someone who is happy to see a new classic Mega Man game, I'd also like to state that returning the series to it's roots in this way is probably the biggest admission we're going to get that the series is creatively bankrupt.

mollipen

Teknoman said:
Not so fast.

Nope, sorry. From the moment Mega Man went 16-bit, I thought he looked like garbage due to the transition. 8-bit Mega Man is and will always be the only 2D Mega Man to me.

Teknoman

dark10x said:
Just expressing mixed disappointment and excitement. Is that not allowed now?

Oh and, yes, 480p is blurry on all flat panels. If you are using a CRT and can natively run the game at its intended resolution, however, it should look pretty classic.

Maybe my eyes are busted because it doesnt look blurry on my 37in LG LCD.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Teknoman said:

If 480p doesn't look blurry to you on a 37" LCD, then they probably are.

Hero

Awesome news.

Capcom, you are forgiven. Why did you wait to show this? Keep stuff like this coming.

PS: New Strider please.

FoneBone

HK-47 said:
Wii makes sense because MM has always been mainly a character that lived on Nintendo systems, especially the 2D ones. I think they are just going where the fanbase will likely be.

And what makes you think they want to spend money on 1080 HD assets? When has MM gotten a budget that can deliver that?
With pixel art it wouldn't be expensive.

And for those complaining, it bears repeating that there's no confirmation of this being WiiWare-exclusive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
From Sven at Capcom:

"I will also say, NP only has "part" of the story. More to be learned later."

I assume that means other platforms will be announced soon.

bridegur

Sort of cool, but I'm going to have a hard time paying more than $5 for something that looks like a fan hack of the NES games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Teknoman said:
If you don't find it to be blurry then good for you, but that doesn't make it not so.

Besides, in this case, I've actually used a Wii on an LG 37" LCD (a friend of mine owns one) and, yep, just as blurry as any other LCD I've used. It's a bit better on a good plasma, but it's still only 640x480 scaled to a higher resolution panel. It's going to be blurry and that's all there is to it. Nature of the technology and all that.

Enough about that, though, you seem happy enough with it.

Are there any screens available yet?

While the IMPOSSIBLE is happening here, can I wish for a 16-bit Sonic 4?
Now THAT would be great. There have been plenty of great 2D Megaman games over the years, but Sonic hasn't had a great 2D installment since the mid 90s. It's time for a new one. Even if they just busted out some tile editor and assembled new levels using fresh art based on an older engine, I would be happy.

Teknoman

I dont notice it on the Wii, but if I change my 360 or PS3 over to 480p I do notice how blurry it is compared to whatever HD resolution I had it set for previously.

KingJ2002 said:
definitely picking this up when it releases on wiiware.

but imo... i dont think this game will sell on xbla... the core mega man fanbase has always been with nintendo systems, and considering it's "NES Style" it makes sense to just keep it as a wiiware title. I know sony also got alot of mega man games but i dont think this game will fit in with sony's psn catalog... it would make more sense to see a MM Powered Up HD or a MMX Maverick Hunter for xbla / psn...
2221204946_b6fdafe204.jpg

:lol Dude, I'm pissed...

Yaweee

This is pretty big for a Wii Ware game. Pretty sure it will use the Wiimote on its side, but it will bind shoot to shaking the damn thing.

ivysaur12

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
definitely picking this up when it releases on wiiware.

but imo... i dont think this game will sell on xbla... the core mega man fanbase has always been with nintendo systems, and considering it's "NES Style" it makes sense to just keep it as a wiiware title. I know sony also got alot of mega man games but i dont think this game will fit in with sony's psn catalog... it would make more sense to see a MM Powered Up HD or a MMX Maverick Hunter for xbla / psn...

Unfortunately, we'll never get to see those numbers.

botticus

Teknoman said:
Don't worry, it's not just you. Though I have a 32" set. But from what I read on the internet, I think I'm better off not being able to notice such things. Saves me a lot of grief.

Holy crap, I just saw the scans. This is the best looking new Wii game by far. If the soundtrack is good this will easily be my GOTY.

GrayFoxPL

Don't want to stirr things up, but wasn't this dictated by wiiware games having small size requirement?

Maybe devs thought: "Rather then making a short game with new high tech gfx let's make a full length game with old school graphics."

And that's witty decision I think.

Cool.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gagaman said:
While the IMPOSSIBLE is happening here, can I wish for a 16-bit Sonic 4? :D

MM9 was always possible.

Sonic 5 (remember CD) IS impossible...especially since they have gone the speed, speed, speed direction and forgot how to make a true Sonic game

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
botticus said:
Don't worry, it's not just you. Though I have a 32" set. But from what I read on the internet, I think I'm better off not being able to notice such things. Saves me a lot of grief.
That's exactly right. If you don't see the issues, don't think about them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FoneBone said:
With pixel art it wouldn't be expensive.

And for those complaining, it bears repeating that there's no confirmation of this being WiiWare-exclusive.

HD pixel art is expensive and time consuming...

Teknoman

Y2Kev said:
If 480p doesn't look blurry to you on a 37" LCD, then they probably are.

It looks blurry to me right after switching from an HD resolution (say being on the 360 and just changing its res over to 480p after having seen it in 1080p) But when looking at things on the Wii(as in going straight from watching TV or doing something else, to turning on the Wii), nothing looks blurry to me.

Dark Octave said:
Where can I find scans of Megaman 9?

Probably any Megaman fan site. Im sure the news is all over by now.

Red Scarlet

I am trying to think of what the power-ups would be with the characters, and not much is coming to mind. Should be cool either way.

HK-47 said:
You seriously asking for scans...do you not know what a search engine is?
Yeah, it's the thing I'be been searching for 10 minutes now.

Also, my work PC doesn't allow me to go to a lot of sites. That's why I'm asking where scans can be found.

You don't have to be a dick.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Just like there are 2 new Bionic Commando games, I'm starting to think that MM9 isn't the only new Megaman entry.

8-bit Wiiware, and MM:powered Up 2/Maverick Hunter 2 for XBLA/PSN would be a sweet deal for any Megaman fan.

Teknoman

Red Scarlet said:
I am trying to think of what the power-ups would be with the characters, and not much is coming to mind. Should be cool either way.

Well I know Galaxy Man is probably either going to have some Meteor or Gravity well weapon. Splash Woman probably will have something similar to most Bubble Lead style stuff.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dark Octave said:
Yeah, it's the thing I'be been searching for 10 minutes now.

Also, my work PC doesn't allow me to go to a lot of sites. That's why I'm asking where scans can be found.

You don't have to be a dick.

Yes I do

RyanDG

Teknoman said:
Well I know Galaxy Man is probably either going to have some Meteor or Gravity well weapon. Splash Woman probably will have something similar to most Bubble Lead style stuff.

I'm assuming Concrete man may do something like allow you to shoot a brick that would let you climb to a higher platform/block an enemies' shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom