• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 9 now up on WiiWare (67blocks)/PSN(Now)/XBLA(10/1). ProtoM DLC $2 next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
botticus said:
Apparently the 20th Anniversary was the clue?

Hasn't it been 20th Anniversary for like three years now though?

And this, Wario Land Shake, Kirby SuperStar Ultra... 2D platforming is coming back, bitches! :D Now all we need is New Super Mario World at E3 and we have the 2D gaming renaissance on our hands.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Linkzg said:
The whole 8-bit thing is a bit lame, especially when MM7 and MM8 both looked great, so it doesn't make sense to go back down.

But that's wrong. It makes perfect sense. It's a love letter to the fans, the majority of which think this is awesome.

It being in 8-Bit goodness is awesome, but...am I the only one who would have preferred it in 16-Bit goodness instead?

Still, great news.

botticus said:
Apparently the 20th Anniversary was the clue?

No, that's referring to Nintendo Power's own 20th anniversary.

Anyway, awesome. NES Mega Man was far better than SNES/PSX 7/8/MM&B. If you're going back to the classic series, make it like the best ones. :)

I have to admit, going back to 8-bit graphics is one of the coolest things i have ever seen. One my friends described it as oddly revolutionary. I think that is a good way to describe it. If 8-bit gaming has a future on the various download services, then I think today is a day to celebrate. It has shown there can be a huge diversity of different types of gaming out there and frankly i think that is awesome.

Gilgamesh

Holy shit, this is amazing news.

Teknoman said:
So no one is going to start a "GAF plays MM 1-6 in honor of MM9 finally being released and being done 8-bit style" topic?
I would be down for that.

omg rite said:
But that's wrong. It makes perfect sense. It's a love letter to the fans, the majority of which think this is awesome.

Not really. It doesn't make perfect sense at all, but that doesn't mean you or me are wrong here. I think this is just going back to make this Mega Man game more identifiable with the classic Mega Man games, but it is a bit cheesy. I mean, we all remember the megaman jump animation and everything from the older games because those are memories form when we were younger, and Capcom is probably taking advantage of that with this. I think this is just how Capcom is doing things now. SF4 is doing it also, just going back to what worked in order to reclaim the old fame. It isn't bad, but I still would have liked for it to move forward instead of going sideways. Then again, I guess that is what the Wii is all about anyway. Still, Wario Land looks amazing and I would have wanted MM9 to look something like that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheGrayGhost said:
Banned site posted a quote explaining that Nintendo Power only has part of the story and more to be revealed later.

I posted that quote earlier in this thread- "I will also say, NP only has part of the story. More to be learned later."

ZeoVGM

Banned
Linkzg said:
Not really. It doesn't make perfect sense at all, but that doesn't mean you or me are wrong here. I think this is just going back to make this Mega Man game more identifiable with the classic Mega Man games, but it is a bit cheesy. I mean, we all remember the megaman jump animation and everything from the older games because those are memories form when we were younger, and Capcom is probably taking advantage of that with this. I think this is just how Capcom is doing things now. SF4 is doing it also, just going back to what worked in order to reclaim the old fame. It isn't bad, but I still would have liked for it to move forward instead of going sideways. Then again, I guess that is what the Wii is all about anyway. Still, Wario Land looks amazing and I would have wanted MM9 to look something like that.

What I just bolded is you proving why it makes sense to do this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
schuelma said:
I posted that quote earlier in this thread- "I will also say, NP only has part of the story. More to be learned later."

E3? Please Nintendo, plug the hell out of this game in your conference. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Andrex said:
E3? Please Nintendo, plug the hell out of this game in your conference. :lol

I took it more as the game is coming to more platforms. But we'll see!

Link Man

Banned
mentalfloss said:
8-bit idea is gold. They should do this with the next final fantasy game.
Final Fantasy would have to be 16-bit, though, as that's what most (oldschool) fans identify with.

Sciz

Well. When the rumors mentioned 8-bit, I wasn't expecting it to be so literal. :lol

Put it on Steam, Capcom, and I will give you money.

Olaeh

HUELEN10 said:
Not really. I am boycotting it, and I knew stuff I wanted would come out. I stand by my boycott, and others do to. I will spend money on anything on the shop channel until a storage solution comes out. When you are rooted, it is not that hard.

You have a strong will. I would love to boycott the Xbox360 on principles, but the games bitch slapped me and told me otherwise. Lets hope a solution is presented at E3.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just seen the pics, and ooh boy, 8bit MM goodness, now that is seriously cool, if it plays as good as the 8bit MM games, I will be on this like a dog onto a postman.

thefro

Sounds great to me... I'd rather have Contra 4-type graphics, but you know the music and level design will be awesome with this style.

omg rite said:
What I just bolded is you proving why it makes sense to do this.

I get that, but I don't think getting rid of what was built up for years in order to make a new game built for mass audience/sales is something I would have really wanted as a Mega Man fan. I'm not bitter about this or anything, I am actually really excited (similar situation with SF4). I am just saying that there were expectations for what MM9 was going to be based on the slope of previous get set, but this is totally off from what I, or I would assume most others, would have expected from the series. It isn't a bad thing. The best Mega Man games were 2 and 3, so if this is able to be at that quality with making it all simple, then good.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Link648099 said:
Wait, what does this mean?

bionic-command22.jpg

-->

1605226239_d52cbad855.jpg
+
bionic-commando-rearmed-12_thumb.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
oh man this is totally awes--

--WiiWare, you say? Guess I can't purchase it because there's no space. Sorry Capcom it looks rad but hey you know who to talk to.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Linkzg said:
I get that, but I don't think getting rid of what was built up for years in order to make a new game built for mass audience/sales is something I would have really wanted as a Mega Man fan. I'm not bitter about this or anything, I am actually really excited (similar situation with SF4). I am just saying that there were expectations for what MM9 was going to be based on the slope of previous get set, but this is totally off from what I, or I would assume most others, would have expected from the series. It isn't a bad thing. The best Mega Man games were 2 and 3, so if this is able to be at that quality with making it all simple, then good.
Hey I understand what you mean. Still, I think his "It makes sense" stuff stands.
I would have been interested if they took the "new super mario bors." approach on this one, but I know everyone here was against th idea of 3d models in 2d.

This is cool news however. I have the megaman Collection for Gamecube. I'll play through that and then play this on wii ware.
I'm gonna be busy...

Amir0x said:

--WiiWare, you say? Guess I can't purchase it because there's no space. Sorry Capcom it looks rad but hey you know who to talk to.

Nintendo Power isn't going to mention a PSN/XBLA release.

So as long as you own one of those two systems you should be good to go.

Amir0x

Banned
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Nintendo Power isn't going to mention a PSN/XBLA release.

So as long as you own one of those two systems you should be good to go.

I won't count on it. I don't care that it's on WiiWare or Wii - this is clearly unapologetically old school and hardcore so we don't have to worry about any controller shenanigans and it looks awesome as a result - but without the space, there's not much I can do. I already deleted everything I don't use anymore, and I'm still at like 100 blocks left.

Thaedolus said:
Does this mean we can finally get classic Mega Man titles on the VC too?
I was wondering about this. On the harmful side, if this is really very similar to the old ones, they might not want the extra self-competition.
LinkAMN said:
Final Fantasy would have to be 16-bit, though, as that's what most (oldschool) fans identify with.
If they were going with the ones with the greatest success, though, it'd be to VII/VIII and then radially from there.

swerve

Amir0x said:

I'm betting they'll talk to the thousands of consumers who still have noses.

Enk

makes good threads.
Amir0x said:
I won't count on it. I don't care that it's on WiiWare or Wii - this is clearly unapologetically old school and hardcore so we don't have to worry about any controller shenanigans and it looks awesome as a result - but without the space, there's not much I can do. I already deleted everything I don't use anymore, and I'm still at like 100 blocks left.

Oh god, what are you going to do when the Mother Trilogy gets released later this year on Wii Ware?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Considering the scope of this news, a "Mega Manize" or "8-bitize" your avatar meme would be interesting. :lol

WindyMan

Amir0x said:

Didn't you hear about Nintendo's new plan to get around the lack of storage space? It's called Buy Now, Play Later™. Don't want to be bothered with those pesky download times or don't have any place to put the game? No worries! Just buy the game now and you can download it at any time in the future when you have the time and memory space to enjoy your purchase. Unlike other downloadable game services where you are forced to get the full game instantly, chipping away at their cavernous amounts of storage, WiiWare's Buy Now, Play Later gives you the convenience of letting you pay for something you may never download in the first place!

Try WiiWare's Buy Now, Play Later service. Today!

Gagaman

Amir0x said:
If it makes you feel any better, being a replica NES game with 8-bit graphics and music, maybe the file size will be tiny like a NES game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom