• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly under fire for interview with Alex Jones

johnsmith

remember me
Preview:
http://www.nbcnews.com/megyn-kelly/...nterviews-alex-jones-of-infowars-964973635637

Full interview airs 6/18

DBqxpyCVoAAHub3.jpg

NBC News and Megyn Kelly are under fire for giving airtime to far-right radio show host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

In the past, Jones has claimed that the 9/11 attacks were an “inside job.” He also said the parents of the 20 students murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 were actors and the deaths of the children as well as six school employees were all faked.

Kelly previewed her interview with Jones on Sunday. The full episode airs June 18 on her new show.

Kelly was criticized on social media for what some saw as an attempt to normalize Jones and his outlandish and untrue claims. She defended herself by saying President Donald Trump had praised Jones and appeared on his show. She also noted that Jones’ InfoWars was given credibility when the site received White House press credentials.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_593e4421e4b0c5a35ca0dd46

Man, I don't think Alex Jones needs any more attention, shining a light on him isn't going to make him go away, and nobody that listens to him is going to be convinced to stop by this.

Megyn just got played again

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/10/ale...ter-being-interviewed-by-megyn-kelly_partner/
Prominent conspiracy theorist and President Donald Trump ally Alex Jones is lashing out after being interviewed by Megyn Kelly for an episode of NBC’s “Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly“. Following Tuesday’s interview taping, Jones is now suggesting Kelly is aligned with the “New World Order” globalist conspiracy theory, complaining that she is producing a “fake news” piece about him, and declaring that she is “not feminine” but is “cold, robotic, dead.”

He suggested that Kelly is a “sociopath” or “psychopath,” and also said Kelly is “not feminine” but instead is “cold, robotic, dead.” He added, “I felt zero attraction to Megyn Kelly.”

PBY

Banned
We've done this with Milo, with Tomi Lahren, etc.

No one ever "owns" these people in the way they hope to, nor do they win them or their audiences over with reasonable facts and reporting.

Vyer

Jones is a piece of shit, and I don't see any value in letting the conman dipshit who helped lead to Sandy Hook parents getting harassed have even more exposure

also, you can take Kelly out of Fox News but maybe you can't take the Fox News out of Kelly

Karamsoul

Fuck Alex Jones. As a father of 3 young children, I can't even fathom giving this Sandy Hook denier any semblance of airtime or attention. He's a piece of shit and should be in jail for harassing the parents of those poor, young innocents killed in the shooting.

tbm24

Being handed a temp White House correspondent pass is grounds to ignore all the bullshit he's peddled? What kind of reasoning is that? Trump believes his bullshit so clearly we need to give this bullshit the time of day?

When did the republican party get hijacked by wimpy conspiracy theorists, exactly?

I can't remember a time when it wasn't like this anymore.

Siegcram

She defended herself by saying President Donald Trump had praised Jones and appeared on his show. She also noted that Jones’ InfoWars was given credibility when the site received White House press credentials.
Not sure how that's a defense, but ok.

"They have credibility because the president, who calls every mainstream news outlet fake, appeared on their show, and InfoWars was given WH press credentials" is the most circular leap of logic that I've seen in quite some time.

This is why blindly parroting "both sides" doesn't make you a moderate, it often makes you look a fool.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Disagree that he doesn't need the attention, when you understand the full depth of his insanity it contextualises all the 'moderate' stuff he does that gets shared millions of times on Facebook, people need to know everything this man believes so they realise that literally nothing he says should be listened to.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
She also noted that Jones’ InfoWars was given credibility when the site received White House press credentials.

Is this true?

Hollyshit man... This is indeed some dark timeline

studyguy

She should be, how the fuck are you going to give an interview to a man who caused so much pain to Sandy Hook victim's parents to air on fucking FATHER'S DAY.

NBC and Kelly can fuck right off into space. Alex Jones deserves 0 attention.

Lord Fagan

As I recall, the day she went to his show for interviews, Jones tweeted that pic, or one like it, and later proceeded to say some pretty harsh shit about her. Normally he's just a sexist goon fantasizing with a very thin veil whenever he's mentioned her, but that day he was bitter as hell, almost retaliatory.

I can totally see Megyn Kelly making him look absolutely horrid on television. I mean, I can see her normalizing him, too...but for a show on NBC?

BasicMath

No one cared like a month ago when every news outlet gave him and his personal life national exposure. But now people do?

I don't have a problem exposing someone for their offensive and outlandish beliefs. The problem is that it's hard to do. Kelly interviewed Putin a week ago and was the first American news anchor to interview him in a couple years, but she was unprepared for how Putin would undermine her arguments, thinking that directly questioning him on hacking, influencing the election, and other questions would throw him off, but it didn't... Putin is a former KGB assassin who bombed Russian apartment buildings to become president, and he just schooled her by being a strongman. The result is that it makes Putin look better, and his supporters (in RUssia and abroad) end up being bolstered.

The Alex Jones interview can go in the same direction. Jones is so out there and is so effective at his craft (he's been doing ti for like 20+ years every day) that there's no getting through to crazy and she can get easily thrown off.

So, speaking about the practical results, it usually isn't a good thing. BUt, from the idea of whether she should or shouldn't or if NBC should or shouldn't give them time, I'm on the fence. It's like how people complained about episodes of Vice Guides when they'd go repressive and destructive regimes. It is very easy to end up becoming a propagandist for the regime (or society, person, etc) that you're looking to expose or inform people about. It's one thing when you're talking to an isolated crazy person, like the leader of a remote cult that has little public relations experience, but it's another when you take on seasoned experts and try to do so in a 18-minute staged interview. The person you're looking to expose can easily turn that interview into propaganda because that's what they do, and likewise, you need to be willing to accept that somebody is going to try to make you the vehicle for their propaganda.

studyguy

As I recall, the day she went to his show for interviews, Jones tweeted that pic, or one like it, and later proceeded to say some pretty harsh shit about her. Normally he's just a sexist goon fantasizing with a very thin veil whenever he's mentioned her, but that day he was bitter as hell, almost retaliatory.

I can totally see Megyn Kelly making him look absolutely horrid on television. I mean, I can see her normalizing him, too...but for a show on NBC?

He said that he's not sexually attracted to her in any way and that she's part of the corrupt globalist MSM. There's no need to make Alex Jones look stupid since he already is stupid. Blasting him out on primetime does no one any favors. If Putin's interview is any indicator where she simply got rolled over, then how can anyone have confidence in this.

Arttemis

It's happening, he'll be be on TV, so all I can hope for is an utter humiliating public repudiation of his insane views.

Looking the part gets you a long way. She's bombing and isn't a good fit...yet they'll keep her as long as possible.

Gotta feel bad for Tamron Hall.

The Megyn Kelly of CNNNBC is the same person as Megyn Kelly of Fox News. I am shocked.
SHOCKED

I can't believe CNNNBC is trying to give credibility to this shit. That goes to both Megyn and Alex

well I'm a fucking illiterate idiot but my point stands

Vectorman

Banned
No one cared like a month ago when every news outlet gave him and his personal life national exposure. But now people do?
That was because he was getting fucked by the justice system losing his custody of his kids. Now they're just doing a general spotlight on him like Vice did which is bad imo.

They're just trying to give these people a platform and to try and normalize their views.

Same as with Milo.

Disgusting.

Jones has hung out with Russians(Aleksandr Dugin specifically) and been praised as a "real American".

I mean, if the interview is to try and expose a wider audience to the awfulness of Jones, I don't see an issue. But the fact that she's actively defending him coming on with that press credentials shit tells me that's not what this is.

When did the republican party get hijacked by wimpy conspiracy theorists, exactly?

I can't remember a time when it wasn't like this anymore.

Something snapped in the Republican psyche when Nixon resigned, as he came to symbolize the "tyranny" of "the left" and its push to "destroy" America's social and cultural norms (y'know, like discriminating against Blacks and women). Then conservatives took over talk radio and, with no moderating influences, devolved into choir preaching and increasingly radical thoughts. Fox News capitalized on this momentum and brought it to the national stage. As the Republican party became increasingly entangled with Christian fundamentalism, they fed on each other's worst impulses: faith over logic, political projects disguised as spiritual mandates, and a bend toward martyrdom and cultural warfare.

And then a Black man became president and the rest is history.

But GAF told me that Megyn Kelly was clearly a centrist who hated all of the Fox News nonsense and would be happy to get away from conservatives.

LOL

Not the least bit surprised by any of this.

Arttemis

Worked out splendidly so far.
Most of my acquaintances have no idea of the conspiracies around fake Sandy Hook, Pizza gate, gay frogs, etc, and have no idea that the POTUS went on the show hoping to 'make him proud'. I'd never even heard of him until the months before the election.

Publicly shining a light on this nonsense, and how closely associated the President's target demographics are to it, can open the eyes of those who aren't politically active.

Looking the part gets you a long way. She's bombing and isn't a good fit...yet they'll keep her as long as possible.

Gotta feel bad for Tamron Hall.

They apparently paid a lot for her (I forget the amount), so yeah, NBC is going to stick with her. I have no idea what they thought they were getting. I realize at one point they were talking about turning NBC into Fox News lite, but those plans seem to be stalled as right wing media is starting to sink in ratings, and Kelly was never Fox New lite, she was full on Fox News proper.

So this in going to be on NBC? The truth is lost for good. Alex Jones on NBC, fox affiliates carrying the Seth Rich story. I encourage you guys to fight back against this for your own sanity, but the fight is over. They won.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope Alex Jones goes full on crazy town for that interview. I know it won't sway his die hards but hopefully people see what a walking crock of shit that man but knowing our luck it will just get more people into his insane bull shit.

But GAF told me that Megyn Kelly was clearly a centrist who hated all of the Fox News nonsense and would be happy to get away from conservatives.

LOL

Not the least bit surprised by any of this.
Centrists forever chasing that overton window instead of trying to pull it back to a reasonable place.

Sigh this "both sides, all opinions are of equal worth and need to be given a platform to be debated freedumz of peach" bullshit is going to be one of the major downfalls of this country. Especially since this remedial ass argument is only ever applied to white nationlistic bullshit.

This whole everyone's really a centrist we just gotta give them a chance shit is for the fucking birds. Like holy fuck MLK ain't never lied about fucking moderates in this country, I'd argue they're actively worse than the far right white nationalist fucks.

Siegcram

Most of my acquaintances have no idea of the conspiracies around fake Sandy Hook, Pizza gate, gay frogs, etc, and have no idea that the POTUS went on the show hoping to 'make him proud'. I'd never even heard of him until the months before the election.

Publicly shining a light on this nonsense, and how closely associated the President's target demographics are to it, can open the eyes of those who aren't politically active.
Well, if you and your friends haven't heard of him, I guess he isn't reaching millions of Americans every day. Let's just give him an even bigger audience in that case.

The American public is clearly capable of identifying liars and con artists if they're just on TV enough.

Top Bottom