• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly under fire for interview with Alex Jones

bionic77

The lesson to be learned is that America is ok with white people murdering people, but if it is someone of color we lose our shit.

Seems to be a worldwide trend.

How anyone can get away with that bullshit is beyond me. And of course because it is 2017 America that same piece of shit gets a national platform.

It's almost like all NBC took into consideration when hiring her is her snark toward Trump during the debates and that one time she got mad about maternity leave. Then you know, just ignored everything else about her.

Dynomutt

Couldn't she have just gotten Tuck Buckford instead?

giphy.gif

Is that hair texturizer or sour cream?

Arttemis

Well, if you and your friends haven't heard of him, I guess he isn't reaching millions of Americans every day. Let's just give him an even bigger audience in that case.

The American public is clearly capable of identifying liars and con artists if they're just on TV enough.
His audience has existed and was thriving well before I ever found out about it. Doing nothing maintained the size of his flock while the majority was ignorant to the weekly assigned talking points. Shining a public light onto these conspiracists who operate in their own echo chambers can delegitimize the while swath of them. What was their secrets are now nationally recognized as insane.

It's almost like all NBC took into consideration when hiring her is her snark toward Trump during the debates and that one time she got mad about maternity leave. Then you know, just ignored everything else about her.

No, they wanted more conservatives to be watching their network so they hired one of the top Fox News anchors to attract that audience. Same with Gretta on MSNBC.

Link

The Autumn Wind
She defended herself by saying President Donald Trump had praised Jones and appeared on his show. She also noted that Jones’ InfoWars was given credibility when the site received White House press credentials.
Fuck you, Megyn.

And fuck you NBC for legitimizing this as "journalism."

LakeEarth

A few months ago, Alex Jones' channel was suggested to me by Youtube under the category "News". I lodged a complaint, fuck his bullshit.

guggnichso

Banned
I mean, if the interview is to try and expose a wider audience to the awfulness of Jones, I don't see an issue. But the fact that she's actively defending him coming on with that press credentials shit tells me that's not what this is.

I don't see a defense of HIM, but a defense of her inviting him. That's a big difference.

However, as we have learned from countless efforts by the scientific community: Talking to crazy people like the anti-vaccine crowd or HIV deniers, even if you utterly "destroy" them like you US people like to put it does nothing at all but giving them credentials. Sane people treating nutjobs like their viewpoints deserve serious consideration is a big, big mistake.

Just look at those Trump/Hillary debates for the presidential elections. Trump didn't present one single sane position, but he absolutely dominated those debates by making them solely about him vs. her.

guggnichso

Banned
The lesson to be learned is that America is ok with white people murdering people, but if it is someone of color we lose our shit.

Seems to be a worldwide trend.

How anyone can get away with that bullshit is beyond me. And of course because it is 2017 America that same piece of shit gets a national platform.

No one is ok with white people murdering people. Take look at Breivik, the NSU, the RAF (Baader-Meinhof, not the Royal Air Force), the IRA, etc. etc.

There's always race warriors and extremists out there, and sadly like in the US or in Poland, sometimes they actually run governments. Combating them is essential, blaming "white people" or "the jews" or "communists" or whatever is the flavor of the day amongst your specific subculture does not work and is indeed counterproductive, as history teaches us.

Slayven

Sigh this "both sides, all opinions are of equal worth and need to be given a platform to be debated freedumz of peach" bullshit is going to be one of the major downfalls of this country. Especially since this remedial ass argument is only ever applied to white nationlistic bullshit.

This whole everyone's really a centrist we just gotta give them a chance shit is for the fucking birds. Like holy fuck MLK ain't never lied about fucking moderates in this country, I'd argue they're actively worse than the far right white nationalist fucks.

Especially when folks are on record for saying "It's an act"

bionic77

No one is ok with white people murdering people. Take look at Breivik, the NSU, the RAF (Baader-Meinhof, not the Royal Air Force), the IRA, etc. etc.

There's always race warriors and extremists out there, and sadly like in the US or in Poland, sometimes they actually run governments. Combating them is essential, blaming "white people" or "the jews" or "communists" or whatever is the flavor of the day amongst your specific subculture does not work and is indeed counterproductive, as history teaches us.
I don't think anything changes in Western countries when it is a white person behind a mass killing.

But if it is a Muslim or a minority we are immediately willing to increase security and even roll back civil liberties.

This is probably a problem unique to the US (guessing violence is not this bad in Europe), but despite how often it happens we never really react when the perp or actor is a white male.

Ghazi

I don't think anything changes in Western countries when it is a white person behind a mass killing.

But if it is a Muslim or a minority we are immediately willing to increase security and even roll back civil liberties.

This is probably a problem unique to the US (guessing violence is not this bad in Europe), but despite how often it happens we never really react when the perp or actor is a white male.
Uh... have you not seen the terror attacks happening in Europe these last few years?

Actually, I'm quite confused here. Are you referring specifically to white violence?

His audience has existed and was thriving well before I ever found out about it. Doing nothing maintained the size of his flock while the majority was ignorant to the weekly assigned talking points. Shining a public light onto these conspiracists who operate in their own echo chambers can delegitimize the while swath of them. What was their secrets are now nationally recognized as insane.

That's not how it works. That's how you wish it worked.

Heres how it works. When I was 18 Rush Limbaugh and the like would throw around conspiracy theories about Bill Clinton killing Ron Brown and Hillary having Vince Foster killed. Very few Republicans actually believed it though. Now there is no conspiracy theory that floats past the eyes or ears of Republicans that they dont believe. That's how the world really works.

You think Republicans of the 90's would have voted for Donald Trump? The world changes and people change with it.

droggg

Fuck these two so hard.

People in comments in various news outlets saying he has a right to his opinion. Fuck those people too.

Of course he has a right to have an opinion, the problem is people giving his garbage opinion a platform to give themselves better ratings.

LCGeek

formerly sane
They're just trying to give these people a platform and to try and normalize their views.

Same as with Milo.

Disgusting.

Jones has hung out with Russians(Aleksandr Dugin specifically) and been praised as a "real American".

Jones has been normalizing himself well since the last decade he isn't new. its dangerous that some of you think he's recent and have no clue to extent of BS he actually has done.

Do people not realize that NBC and MSNBC aren't the same? I feel like a lot of them don't lol. NBC is the OTA network that isn't just news. MSNBC is the 24/7 cable channel that is all news all the time.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Saw a clip of this trash before the hockey game last night, it was like a parody. He said something like there's some weird breeding program to cross animals and humans? It's like interviewing the National Enquirer, I have no idea why anyone cares about anything this guy says. Why it's on a national nightly news program baffles me.

Ponn

Banned
They forced Tamron Hall out for this shit. I have no idea what they were thinking at NBC hiring a former Fox News pundit except somehow getting ratings or attracting new viewers. None of it is altruistic goals though thats for sure. This shit show was such a mistake and my jaw dropped when I saw she was going to have spot with this shithead last night and apparently more. The next thing that went through my head was "Okay here we go", once a fox news pundit, always a fox news pundit I guess. I'd say fuck NBC if it wasn't for Lester Holt.

C.Mongler

Hey remember when the American media thought "Heh heh, look at this big dumb stupid guy, he's big, dumb, and stupid! I bet everyone would tune in to see how big, dumb, and stupid he looks if we put him on our program all the time!" and then while yes, people tuned in, it also made a lot of them decide a big, dumb, stupid guy was legitimate enough to be president.

So yeah, can't really say I'm game on giving these dudes platforms anymore.

Well, Greta is on MSNBC, so wtf were they thinking with that hire?

And wtf was NBC thinking with the Kelly hire?

At one point, the new owners apparently wanted to turn NBC and MSNBC into this sort of Fox News lite to cater to conservative audiences, but now conservative media is on a downturn. Fox News's own ratings are sinking, and conservative talk radio is starting to sinking (it's a slow sink, but it's a real sink), and I think Kelly's show has shown that the audiences aren't jumping ship, at least not in any mass numbers, and the audience that was there isn't interested. Her premier episode got beat by a rerun of 60 Minutes.

Top Bottom