• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Holeeee sheeet. I've never seen/heard anything about this game til I played it today and this game is straight up bonkers. I'm in the "this is a great port" camp, my GTX 780 isn't having any problems with the game at all. The only thing I can't figure out is how to effectively parry when I want to, so far I get it sometimes but not others. I want to look up some youtube videos on how to effectively play the game (I died a lot of times in the first level on hard tryin to do what i thought was parrying) but half the fun is figuring it out on your own.

Jtrizzy

yeah I get a black screen when I change it to fullscreen regardless of the resolution it's set at. Guess I need to mess around with custom resolutions? I'm on a 580 to a Denon receiver to a Panasonic plasma all hdmi 1.4.

edit: changing my desktop res to 2560x1440 seems to have fixed it.

antitrop

This game is swag to the maximum, you could fuck all my bitches, based God.

Starting on Hard was the right choice, I'm struggling a bit, but it feels right. Nothing like being 1 hit away from death and pulling off a perfect Zandatsu.

Ragus

Banned
Just demolished Bladewolf. That fucking music.

I was there it th original OT when the magic first happened in 2013, and yet I feel as excited as then.

Holeeee sheeet. I've never seen/heard anything about this game til I played it today and this game is straight up bonkers. I'm in the "this is a great port" camp, my GTX 780 isn't having any problems with the game at all. The only thing I can't figure out is how to effectively parry when I want to, so far I get it sometimes but not others. I want to look up some youtube videos on how to effectively play the game (I died a lot of times in the first level on hard tryin to do what i thought was parrying) but half the fun is figuring it out on your own.

If you wanna practice use the first group of dudes in the prologue. This isn't really a combo centric game, it's more akin to Ninja Gaiden. Being observant pays while recklessness is punished.

Starting on Hard was the right choice, I'm struggling a bit, but it feels right. Nothing like being 1 hit away from death and pulling off a perfect Zandatsu.

I'm playing on hard as well, and I feel like maybe I shouldn't have. I'm getting stuck at the first major battle after the insertion, where you fight the two-legged creature that looks like an AT-ST along with the thugs. I'm missing out on something here, cause I'm usually pretty good at these types of games. Beat Ninja Gaiden Black multiple times, and same with Bayonetta. Guess I just need to keep practicing te parrying.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It really feels great to get right back into it.

Did they patch the difficulties in MGR in one of the DLC updates? There are certain things on Hard difficulty that I distinctly remember, and it feels like certain enemies have gotten updated. Either that, or I'm crazy. I could be crazy. Not ruling that out. For example, I don't remember the Gorilla enemies blocking a perfect parry quite as much. I thought it always resulted in a stun on Hard. Also, the dual sword guys show up a little bit earlier, if I'm not mistaken. If they did, that's awesome because it feels much better than I remember.

The game runs a little slow on my machine, but my machine is also kind of crappy. There were other people having framerate issues, right? Anyone have a solution for that?

MUST UNPACK FASTER, MUST UNPACK FASTER

Levyne

Banned
I'm playing on hard as well, and I feel like maybe I shouldn't have. I'm getting stuck at the first major battle after the insertion, where you fight the two-legged creature that looks like an AT-ST along with the thugs. I'm missing out on something here, cause I'm usually pretty good at these types of games. Beat Ninja Gaiden Black multiple times, and same with Bayonetta. Guess I just need to keep practicing te parrying.

I struggled there too for a bit. I took a break and watched that little video that was linked and then came back to it and didn't really have any issues.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Did they patch the difficulties in MGR in one of the DLC updates? There are certain things on Hard difficulty that I distinctly remember, and it feels like certain enemies have gotten updated.

Oh I thought I was going nuts. O: I don't think so since this feels a bit different from my Hard play-through on consoles.

I pm'd you for more info

Responded. Sorry, I'm not sure if I can duplicate your crash issue. I've tried a handful of settings changes in various orders but can't replicate.

For others who might have the same TV; when setting up custom resolutions, the trick to getting 60 in the game instead of 24 was not setting a custom refresh, but setting a custom resolution. I had to leave the refresh at 60 to get the 60 in game.

Just my own experiences, and worth a shot if you're still having trouble.

Exactly how I feel.

Bring more of your games to the PC, Platinum!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh I thought I was going nuts. O: I don't think so since this feels a bit different from my Hard play-through on consoles.

It definitely feels different to me.

There was one room where I remember I would fool around to get a quadruple Zandatsu, but now that area has dual sword guys. I never played MGR on Normal on consoles, so it can't be that I'm mixing up difficulties.

Thing is, I wouldn't know if they changed things after a patch. I never touched Hard Mode again once I unlocked Very Hard and Revengeance. I just put in the console version and it looks the same as the PC version, so I'm wondering if they stealth patched it. They did make a lot of enemy tweaks in the Sam campaign, after all.... or again, I might be crazy.

EDIT: I really might be crazy. I think it's just been too long since I've played Hard or something.

M3d10n

This game, oh shit! Yes, playing on hard for my first run was really the correct choice, the challenge is just airtight perfect. I actually died quite a few times on the first Metal Gear battle then stuff started to click and I completely owned that bitch and it felt so damn good!

I feel I got the hang of parrying just during the battle against the small dog-like AI robot boss and I felt like a boss parrying the fucker senseless then zandatsu-ing him into oblivion.

And if anyone things their rig can't handle the game... it runs very smooth on my HD 4850 (at 720p, of course) with medium settings, 2X MSAA and blur disabled.

As someone who hasn't played MGS4 but wants to someday(I don't have a PS3 yet), is this game okay to play first in regards to spoilers/knowing whats going on and things like that?

dookeh

I'm on nvidia and having the 50fps issue in full screen. This is with a 120hz monitor set to 1080p/60hz over DL-DVI. Any fixes for this outside of running windowed yet?

ShaunBRS

any chance you could explain how do to this in noob speak?

I'm trying to figure out the noob-friendliest way of doing it. Does the game actually crash (to desktop) when you select fullscreen or do you just get a black screen (with the game still responsive)?

BPoole

I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty damn good at NG, DMC, and Bayo, but I get owned on this game quite a bit. There is an item in Bayo which allows you to counter in a similar fashion as MGR, which I could do fine on there. MGR just hasn't clicked with me yet

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Getting better, got my first S rank. Though I am on normal.

Pfft. Wuss, bump it to Hard. Be a man.

Started on Revengence and couldn't get past the tutorial. Oh god, I'm so out of practice

Dahbomb

So I just discovered that on Keyboard there's a separate button for Dodging. Makes things a lot easier than on controller where you have to press two buttons together plus a direction.

And for those having trouble with the game on Hard... the key to doing at this game is learning how to block and Parry.

Block is forward + attack. Do not try to mash it or hold direction and then press a button. This is a simultaneous press. Anytime you see a red flash, orient yourself towards that enemy and do a block.

Time it when you are about to get hit and it will execute a Parry. A Parry is VERY POWERFUL in this game... most regular enemies just get stunned and you can use Blade mode to finish them off.

The combat flow in this game is pretty simple:

*Do safe slashes and keep yourself oriented against the enemy.

*Scout out the red flash, prepare to do a Parry.

*If you execute the Parry, go into Blade mode and chop up the enemy. If you see a red box, slash the red box for a Zandatsu for immediately 100% life.

*If you don't parry, then keep playing safe.

*If you see a Yellow flash, Dodge immediately. Make sure you have the Offensive Defensive skill purchased... it's absolutely vital.

The Gekko is just a regular enemy... it can be one shotted easily if you parry the charge.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I just discovered that on Keyboard there's a separate button for Dodging. Makes things a lot easier than on controller where you have to press two buttons together plus a direction.

Wat wat wat. Why would do this!? I'm going to bet someone is going to mod the controller/Xinput wrappers to allow something like that on like... select or L3 or something soon.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You don't have to press a direction to dodge. The default dodge will be a backward dash slash, and you can change it to something else if you press a direction.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Using a 360 controller what two buttons i gotta press to dodge? Didnt even know that.

It's a move you need to purchase from the shop called Defensive Offense (or Offensive Defense?) for 3,000 BP. X+A.

It's essentially a dashing slash that can be canceled into from Raiden's other moves, and has generous invincibility frames.

fresquito

I need to get the timing right for the counter. I have not many problems parrying, but countering is a whole different story.

Fixed my lettered black borders and all is running fine and dandy. I find secondary items to be pretty clunky.

All in all, I'm enjoying my time, although camera has killed me many, many times.

Conezays

Using a 360 controller what two buttons i gotta press to dodge? Didnt even know that.

Lol, I was also unaware of a dodge move.

Great game! I'm a few chapters into it now-seems a bit longer than I was expecting which is nice (I had heard 4 hours? Though I'm not surprised experienced people can plow through this game quickly).

Dahbomb

You don't have to press a direction to dodge. The default dodge will be a backward dash slash, and you can change it to something else if you press a direction.
I already know that but to do a side dodge you still have to press a direction (left direction).

Am I crazy for immediately wanting to buy Gray Fox's suit? Completely disregarding any kind of upgrade till I get that? Cause that is what I want to do right now...

Game is amazing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty damn good at NG, DMC, and Bayo, but I get owned on this game quite a bit. There is an item in Bayo which allows you to counter in a similar fashion as MGR, which I could do fine on there. MGR just hasn't clicked with me yet
I just started with MGR, but I feel like you have to look for when the enemy's attack would actually impact and not rely on the visual clue. In Bayo those two seem closer together.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I already know that but to do a side dodge you still have to press a direction (left direction).

I guess I just don't see the benefit of a single button dodge when the two-button dodge includes one of your attack buttons already. Then again, I guess keyboards are a whole different ballgame.

Haven't played much (just about to fight the first metal gear) I really like the controls and the movement so far

The only thing that I don't like is the Blade mode controls, I remember somebody in the old thread making a useful post about it and what's the best control method for it, anyway remember that or have a link because I want to try it ?

Have you set your desktop res with the custom one you created before launching the game? That's what's required.

You don't have to go 1920x1080 59hz either, you can make a higher res like 2560x1440 60hz and select it as your desktop resolution, and the game will run at 1080p 60hz too.

I found the 59 thing weird as well, but oddly this solution didn't work for me and I still get 59 instead of 60, no big deal really but a bit strange.

GTX 670 and an LG IPS234 monitor.

Top Bottom